What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

jollyjack
Common Wiggler

Re: What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Post by jollyjack » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Batumi. I stuck with it for years because it offered a lot of LFO's for its size, but I could never get along with its hidden menus or its finicky sliders that always felt too small for precise changes. Poti added a lot of functionality but being my only uneven HP module/expander meant I always had to plan my placement of modules around it. They really should release an MK2 version with those functions built in.

Disting Mk4. Like many others I got it when my modular case was much smaller thinking it could fill the role of any module I didn't have yet. After flicking through the algorithms a few times and trying some out I ended up never using it. Great value for its functionality/size, just not fun to use.

Lo-Fi Junky. While it can add some needed grunge to a clean sound, it's probably the most subtle effect I have and really not that special. The internal modulation is so tame that it never gets anywhere exciting on its own (have to use external wave input every time). Still in my possession though, and will probably remain there for the time being.

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Re: What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Post by Kosmikos » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:21 pm

MI Plaits, first module to arrive and first to have left my main rack. I just can’t get over the fact that you can’t change mode and keep separate settings without some sort of advanced preset system, and even if you do you’ll probably change the preset too late, which kind of makes it useless for drums unless you are happy for all of them having the same knobs positions. It’s frustrating as it has some nice usable drum programs. Also I found my pico Voice more inspiring on the voice side of things, and it’s only 3 HP and has a bassline :love:

MI Stage, I bought this as I wanted a complex envelope. It turns out it’s most usable as LFO, decay envelope, S&H, but the interface is just not quite right for settings complex ADSR. I think I’ll replace it with Zadar when it becomes available again.

MI Beads, yes it is overhyped, but I do like it. Although I’m not super fond of knobs that changes functions depending on other knobs/inputs à la Stages.

I don’t own any Make Noise module, their panels are just indecipherable. Maybe I’m missing something, I’ll never know.

Noise Engineering, I have only a couple of their modules, and it drives me crazy that they have such brilliant ideas and somehow a flawed execution (E.G. Mimetic Digitalis press and turn knob). And WTF with these jack plugs that are so hard to use, always have to fight them to remove my patch cables!

Snufflepuff
Common Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:23 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:29 pm

But I wanted to be able to process gates/triggers/clocks algorithmically, in chains of logic of my own choosing, not simply generate 8 outputs from one clock.
How have you been achieving that, by the way? Thanks!

funeralcake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funeralcake » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:57 pm

No comment on functionality, but Make Noise and Magpie both seem popular in terms of panel design and overall aesthetic... I really, really, really don't like either, and find MN graphics to be particularly counterproductive, and therefore frustrating. Having to traverse a maze of curvy arrows with my eyes on the Phonogene is sometimes mildly infuriating.

Even worse is the black and gold stuff... Holy Fucking Lord God above! Why do people think this looks good?! Not a fan of the Instruo steampunk black and gold aesthetic either, but at least it's... it... It looks like there was some thought put into it. it doesn't look like crude teenage android wildstyle graffiti. I dislike MN aesthetics so, so much and I don't know how to say that any more politely. I half-consciously avoid considering MN products largely based on how ugly I find them to be. It's not worth buying them if I have to spend an extra ~$20 replacing all the panels with something that doesn't evoke subtle inklings of latent neanderthal panic-rage.

Will be getting grayscale panels for the Maths and Phonogene one of these days, but I want get the numerous (frankly crap, failure-prone) trimmers replaced on the Maths first (I know I am talking a lot of shit about MN, but I'd still feel rude sending in an alt. panel Maths for repair. I don't actually get off on talking shit or making people feel bad, but the MN "look" is one of those things that I feel very strongly about).

PS: Oddly enough, I actually like the look of the old MN Wogglebug (It's okay, anyway)... I can't really explain it. The black panel version, though? HIDEOUS!
useless

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:22 pm

Snufflepuff wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:23 pm
starthief wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:29 pm

But I wanted to be able to process gates/triggers/clocks algorithmically, in chains of logic of my own choosing, not simply generate 8 outputs from one clock.
How have you been achieving that, by the way? Thanks!
Monome Teletype. There's an internal "metronome" (master clock) that runs a script, and 8 scripts that are run when they receive a trigger or are called from other scripts. You can use those to generate triggers/gates and CV on the outputs.

This is a silly example, but for instance: Marbles is my master clock, and t2 is clocking Mimeophon. I have Skew enabled on Mimeophon and its clock output is patched to Teletype trigger 1, Marbles t3 to Teletype trigger 2 and t1 to trigger 3. I write this code:

Code: Select all

1:
X 3 STATE 2 
IF FLIP: M / LAST 2 X
ELSE: TR.P 1

3:
PROB 10: P.I 0

8:
TR.P 2
CV 1 N P.NEXT

M:
IF ER 5 8 O: $8 
What this does:

Alternating triggers will determine the timing of a clock multiplier -- the multiplier is x3 if the gate at input 2 is low, or x4 if it's high.

The "opposite" triggers will simply fire a trigger from output 1.

The clock multiplier runs a 5-in-8 Euclidean pattern; when that hits, it will fire a trigger on output 2 and also advance a tracker pattern and update CV output 1 with the note value from that pattern.

Triggers on input 3 have a 10% chance of resetting the tracker pattern.

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Pretty much echo the sentiment of menu-divey modules not being my thing. The Distings, O_c's and Pam's of the world are certainly highly useful and feature-rich modules, but I have no desire to own any of them.

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:53 pm

A lot of the granular stuff... just not a sound for me. Clouds, Arbhar, Morphagene, the sound is obviously hugely popular in the Euro community but I've never gelled with it. Don't know if I genuinely don't care for it or if I can't utilize them as well as other people, but either way I don't get excited over them any more.

Muff McMuff
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:10 pm

Pretty much any chip tune module. If i am playing an Atari 2600, Gameboy or in an arcade yes chip tunes are fine but in my rack without a joystick and jump button NO.

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:51 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 am
I actually think the panels look good, I just don't always know what everything is, especially clock input, haha. The grayscale panels are lovely though. Wish every single module out there had a grayscale - too much boring black panels out there in the year 2021, it's ruining my racks anesthetic. 😅
I agree, Im loving those panels, I may eventually pick up an aluminum one for my Mimeophon, I need more silver panels to offset the black ones that are starting to take over my rack (I have a zebra strip theme kind of thing going on, which really helps me be able to differentiate between modules).

Benoist wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:52 am
NE oscillators ... ( can't include BIA since I don't have it )
If they were in the 200 - 250 euros range I wouldn't complain but I don't have for my money related to their sonic range, major complain is that many controls are kind of fine tuners to me, I won't buy BIA since my latest acquisition was Manis and was by very far the most limited / disappointing ...
I hope Virt Iter will be more exciting / surprising in a Shapeshifter way.
'I can understand that, I have two NE oscillators a BIA, which is fun to play with to make weird drum noises and odd basses, and LIP... Had I bought my Shapeshifter first I probably would not have bought LIP. I still dont know if LIP will be in my rack long term, but I'm having fun with it for now, so I cant complain.
funeralcake wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:57 pm
I dislike MN aesthetics so, so much and I don't know how to say that any more politely. I half-consciously avoid considering MN products largely based on how ugly I find them to be. It's not worth buying them if I have to spend an extra ~$20 replacing all the panels with something that doesn't evoke subtle inklings of latent neanderthal panic-rage.

Will be getting grayscale panels for the Maths and Phonogene one of these days, but I want get the numerous (frankly crap, failure-prone) trimmers replaced on the Maths first (I know I am talking a lot of shit about MN, but I'd still feel rude sending in an alt. panel Maths for repair. I don't actually get off on talking shit or making people feel bad, but the MN "look" is one of those things that I feel very strongly about).
I'm right there with you, there modules are great at what they do, but TBH the aesthetics really and I mean REALLY put me off! I got a Mimeophon because I love the way it sounds, but I'll likely be replacing the panel in the near future. Nothing against MN, but I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to make their panels so convoluted.
Skelecaster wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:53 pm
A lot of the granular stuff... just not a sound for me. Clouds, Arbhar, Morphagene, the sound is obviously hugely popular in the Euro community but I've never gelled with it. Don't know if I genuinely don't care for it or if I can't utilize them as well as other people, but either way I don't get excited over them any more.
I gave granular a try with a Typhoon, and maybe I just wasnt doing it right, but I could never get anything I liked out of it.
Muff McMuff wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:10 pm
Pretty much any chip tune module. If i am playing an Atari 2600, Gameboy or in an arcade yes chip tunes are fine but in my rack without a joystick and jump button NO.
Same here, and I feel the same way about anything music related that sounds like I am trying to make music with a damn Gameboy!!

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:08 am

Encoder Workout is my next Bandcamp release.

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:37 am

nexgen23 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:51 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 am
I actually think the panels look good, I just don't always know what everything is, especially clock input, haha. The grayscale panels are lovely though. Wish every single module out there had a grayscale - too much boring black panels out there in the year 2021, it's ruining my racks anesthetic. 😅
I agree, Im loving those panels, I may eventually pick up an aluminum one for my Mimeophon, I need more silver panels to offset the black ones that are starting to take over my rack (I have a zebra strip theme kind of thing going on, which really helps me be able to differentiate between modules).

Benoist wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:52 am
NE oscillators ... ( can't include BIA since I don't have it )
If they were in the 200 - 250 euros range I wouldn't complain but I don't have for my money related to their sonic range, major complain is that many controls are kind of fine tuners to me, I won't buy BIA since my latest acquisition was Manis and was by very far the most limited / disappointing ...
I hope Virt Iter will be more exciting / surprising in a Shapeshifter way.
'I can understand that, I have two NE oscillators a BIA, which is fun to play with to make weird drum noises and odd basses, and LIP... Had I bought my Shapeshifter first I probably would not have bought LIP. I still dont know if LIP will be in my rack long term, but I'm having fun with it for now, so I cant complain.
funeralcake wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:57 pm
I dislike MN aesthetics so, so much and I don't know how to say that any more politely. I half-consciously avoid considering MN products largely based on how ugly I find them to be. It's not worth buying them if I have to spend an extra ~$20 replacing all the panels with something that doesn't evoke subtle inklings of latent neanderthal panic-rage.

I'm right there with you, there modules are great at what they do, but TBH the aesthetics really and I mean REALLY put me off! I got a Mimeophon because I love the way it sounds, but I'll likely be replacing the panel in the near future. Nothing against MN, but I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to make their panels so convoluted.
Skelecaster wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:53 pm
I gave granular a try with a Typhoon, and maybe I just wasnt doing it right, but I could never get anything I liked out of it.
Muff McMuff wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:10 pm
Same here, and I feel the same way about anything music related that sounds like I am trying to make music with a damn Gameboy!!
Funny with the MN panel design - how it can be so polarizing. Even for an individual - I mean I certainly have changed my mind about them. I remember how, when I first got into Modular, I wrote down that I definitely wouldn't want any modules from MN and Instruo as I thought they were incomprehensible and all over the place.
Then Mimeophon was released. I got it gifted and with time completely changed my mind. I really really like the design - it is so different than e.g. Filter 8 and Sewastopol 2 that it immediately gets me into "creative" mode. Now I also like designs like Qpas and ModDemix (especially the black panel versions). And I completely adore 0-Ctrl and Stregas design.

So yeah, I am much less inclined to judge a module on the visual part of its panel design than earlier and much more interested in the interaction scheme and features.

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:40 pm

bronzebygold wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 pm

Mutable Instruments: I can see the appeal of Mutable Instruments. I appreciate the creativity that goes into them. I've even TRIED to like them, but I just don't. I don't like the designs. I don't like the sound. It's just not for me.
WOW!. That's amazing to me. You "don't like the sound"?? I know, to each his own, but you just shocked me. :lol:

blaythe.steuer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blaythe.steuer » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:09 pm

MN panels rock and they’re extremely intuitive once you get used to the way they work. they become second nature and i’m not ready anything quite quickly. just patching and experiencing

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:12 pm

glennfin wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:40 pm
bronzebygold wrote:

Mutable Instruments: I can see the appeal of Mutable Instruments. I appreciate the creativity that goes into them. I've even TRIED to like them, but I just don't. I don't like the designs. I don't like the sound. It's just not for me.
WOW!. That's amazing to me. You "don't like the sound"?? I know, to each his own, but you just shocked me. :lol:
I could see not being into rings or elements but plaits, braids and warps are just so versatile. in certain modes they can sound pretty close to analog even.

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:22 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:12 pm
glennfin wrote:
bronzebygold wrote:

I could see not being into rings or elements but plaits, braids and warps are just so versatile. in certain modes they can sound pretty close to analog even.
I've got a lot of modules, a LOT ! and I have only few duplicates, one of them is Plaits. I wouldn't say in my life what is the sound of Plaits. Absolutely. probably I will get another one.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:42 pm

>implying you even know whats going on in this mode and there's something to dislike... it's practically alive.
_|_|_|_|_
This digital synthesis algorithm generates a smooth sequence of waveforms, transitioning from a sine wave to a Dirac comb, as controlled by TIMBRE. The intermediary steps are reminiscent of a single formant. Two such waveshapes are blended together, with the detuning amount controlled by COLOR.

felix le chat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by felix le chat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 pm

bronzebygold wrote:
Maths: It's undeniably a great module in a lot of ways, but I can't stand that changing curve shape effects function rise/fall time. I like parameters to be applied discreetly, at least to the extent possible in an analog module.
cinnatoastg wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:40 am
Maths/Function - Dead horse beating, but changing the envelope time when changing the curve imho is not a good design choice.
This is normal for analogue envelopes. For shaping the attack or decay stages, the output of the envelope is connected to an attenuator and an inverter, which are fed back to the attack time or decay time CV inputs (if there are no CV inputs, it is connected internally). For example the Maths, Serge VCS, Envelator and Doepfer A-141-2 work like this. Actually you can do it with any envelope that has VC times.

The Joranalogue Contour 1 works the same, plus there is some compensation so that the times stay more constant when changing the shape. But even then, it is not perfect (I mean, from the manual, because I never had this module) and if someone like Joran could not do better it is probably impossible (= like having perfect 5-octave 1V/oct tracking on 8 different VCOs without using any digital calibration).

You would prefer a digital envelope in this case (but it may have some processing latency -- nothing is perfect)

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:16 pm

felix le chat wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 pm

The Joranalogue Contour 1 works the same, plus there is some compensation so that the times stay more constant when changing the shape. But even then, it is not perfect (I mean, from the manual, because I never had this module) and if someone like Joran could not do better it is probably impossible (= like having perfect 5-octave 1V/oct tracking on 8 different VCOs without using any digital calibration).
Contour 1 is as close to perfect as I need. Two of those combined with Compare 2 is the best DUSG clone I've tried by a long shot. The imperfections in compensation on the Contour 1 are actually a feature in certain cases. Under rapid CV control they can give an interesting effect similar to a timbral trill.
Last edited by bronzebygold on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

felix le chat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by felix le chat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:24 am

bronzebygold wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:16 pm
Contour 1 is as close to perfect as I need. Two of those combined with Compare 2 the best DUSG clone I've tried by a long shot. The imperfections in compensation on the Contour 1 are actually a feature in certain cases. Under rapid CV control they can give an interesting effect similar to a timbral trill.
Interesting! I already have a Maths and 2 Envelators that I got long before the Contour 1 was released, but it looks like a great envelope

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:42 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:12 pm
glennfin wrote:
bronzebygold wrote:

Versatility is not the main thing I'm looking for in a module. I enjoy the process of discovering how voltage responds to modulation, all the weird artifacts and happy accidents that happen when an analog circuit is twisted and stretched in different ways. Mutable Instrument is just not at all interesting to me, and unfortunately I absolutely can't stand the panel design, which might make me a bit less charitable. I like Nonlinearcircuits, Ieaskul F. Mobenthey, Joranalogue, etc. I'm sure there are a lot of cools things to be done with MI too, but in one lifetime there's not even enough time even to explore a small subset of modular. I just focus on the things that push my particular weird mental buttons. :mrgreen:

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:04 pm

bronzebygold wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:42 am
I'm sure there are a lot of cools things to be done with MI too, but in one lifetime there's not even enough time even to explore a small subset of modular. I just focus on the things that push my particular weird mental buttons. :mrgreen:
I hear this. So many modules to explore, so little time. And it's a good reminder to 'know when to fold 'em' and release modules that aren't clicking back into the wild for others to enjoy.

YMMV is also good to remember. I was being a bit heavy handed w/ a friend recently who decided to part w/ a Maths after a few weeks of giving it a go. "But, have you tried a Krell patch with it? Have you even tried it as a comparator (of sorts) yet?" It's been a favorite of mine—and why should I expect others to have the same experience?

MI modules work well for me—and I definitely understand they can impart a sonic character. Be judicious with the reverb! Less 'strum', more feedback, FM, processing other sound sources, etc.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:00 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:11 pm
Batumi. I stuck with it for years because it offered a lot of LFO's for its size, but I could never get along with its hidden menus or its finicky sliders that always felt too small for precise changes.
Ditto. Sold mine too.

And there's the fact that you need to apply negative cv to get properly slow cycling. Sync syncs rate but not phase. Assignable shapes have to be applied across all four LFOs. etc.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Plaits

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:12 pm

What other quad LFO with several different waveshape outputs and a sync input for each LFO, in 10hp, is there? Batumi seems unchallenged, to me. And I'm not using the expert firmware so I don't really know about any hidden menus.
Somewhat unorthodox electro on my old trusty Monomachine. :boba:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMx44Gnixzw

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:17 pm

bronzebygold wrote:

Contour 1 is as close to perfect as I need. Two of those combined with Compare 2 is the best DUSG clone I've tried by a long shot . . .
Interesting! I have two Contour 1s already. So just add a Compare 2 and I've got Maths/DUSG-equivalent?

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:28 pm

studio460 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:17 pm
bronzebygold wrote:

Contour 1 is as close to perfect as I need. Two of those combined with Compare 2 is the best DUSG clone I've tried by a long shot . . .
Interesting! I have two Contour 1s already. So just add a Compare 2 and I've got Maths/DUSG-equivalent?
Absolutely. I even put my Compare 2 between my two Contour 1s, so the layout is even similar to Maths. You lose the mixer/offsets and rectifier on Maths. But you get far more in terms of logic from the Compare 2. You also get v/8 tracking with the Contour 1s, voltage control over curve shape, the "freeze" input, and, because the modules are separate rather than integrated, you can easily use the different parts of the DUSG for different tasks at the same time.

I paired mine with Cold Mac and 3xMIA, and together that replicates basically everything Maths can do and much more. ...in more hp of course, but but it's also vastly more powerful in the long run. ;)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”