What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

crumb dinger
Common Wiggler

Re: What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Post by crumb dinger » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:01 am

Fun thread, I am constantly churning my collection so I feel kinda suspect about my own opinions, but maybe someone will find them interesting. It's certainly fun reading all of yours! For me:

Mangrove: Incredible bass, perhaps the deepest and strongest bass sound I've ever heard come out of my modular. Lots of cool possibilities but they're too hard to wrangle. I found keeping it in tune and using much modulation at the same time nearly impossible. It'd probably be cool if you were patient and really into physical modeling, it makes great brass and reed sounds. Unfortunately that's not me and I mostly used it for chirpy percussion which I already had covered. Just Friends, 3 Sisters, and Cold mac are among my favorite modules, maybe Mangrove came out a little early.

mk3 IME: After going through the mk3 versions of Hertz Donut, Kermit, and Bionic Lester, I called it quits on this lineup. I ended up going for an HD2 and a DA2 which both absolutely rock and work just the way I dreamt Harvestman stuff would when I coveted them as a young lurker. The mk3 lineup seemed to have a lot of compromises with regard to modulation speed which was disappointing, more cramped panels, and quite a different sound compared to the mk2s. The preset system is neither here nor there for me and I don't miss it much.

PNW: The only module I have bought twice and sold twice so far. I've made peace with letting go of its alluring functionality to hp ratio. It was nice to have in a small system I used for a while that was just PNW, Akemie's Castle, and Rainmaker. The interface presents almost no cognitive load, which is great, but turning and especially repeatedly holding down that encoder drove me crazy. In systems with anything closer to hand I tended to forget about it until I needed a couple hundred bucks to buy something else.

uO_C: Not trying to pick on encoder/screen UI as I have a couple that I love, but this thing was not for me in that each applet demands a distinct understanding of the inputs and outputs. Pam's covers decently similar territory ('modulation swiss army knife') now but it manages to do so with a UI where the rules always stay fundamentally the same, reducing cognitive load enormously in comparison to O_C. Neither made the cut but this instantly fell flat for me.

Rossum: knobs too close.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Re: What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Post by unclebastard » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:11 pm

Since building the synth I wanted, I've stopped looking at modules :sstorm:
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

swarlied
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swarlied » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:58 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:21 pm

MI Stage, I bought this as I wanted a complex envelope. It turns out it’s most usable as LFO, decay envelope, S&H, but the interface is just not quite right for settings complex ADSR. I think I’ll replace it with Zadar when it becomes available again.
Thats funny, I sold Zadar because it was technicaly great, but the playability was not there. Now I have Stages, which is not so great as a play module either, but at least it gives me a lot more visual feedback and I can touch each phase (segment). With Zadar I had the feeling I am menu programming. But the out of curiosity I ordered Tides, an wow what a dream hands-on module. For me module is good when I can use with closed eyes.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:12 pm

Zadar is so damned good at certain things. I had to create a very precisely timed LFO in a simple, but very specific shape to emulate an air-raid siren, timed to the tenths of seconds. Zadar made this super-easy to accomplish. Stages is super-neat for other things. I think many would benefit by owning both.

I just bought Tides because reading the manual just blew me away before buying it—seems right up my alley. Though it's finally actually in the rack, I have yet to dig in to it.

(Sorry, off-topic: I'm excited about all three!)
Last edited by studio460 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:18 pm

Tides looks interesting. But Zadar is only 10HP instead of 14, and after Stages, Kinks, Links, Blades, and Beads, I can’t really get excited by another MI module! :hihi:

AcousticJoe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AcousticJoe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:47 pm

studio460 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:12 pm
I had to create a very precisely timed LFO in a simple, but very specific shape to emulate an air-raid siren, timed to the tenths of seconds.
I'm kinda blown away by that sentence, not sure why :mrgreen:
Might you be willing to elaborate why you needed an air raid siren timed to the tenth of seconds? And more technically: what envelope shape did you end up using and what did the rest of the patch look like?
I'm always happy when I find siren or alarm type sounds by accident when wiggling (am a newbie), so I'm interested to learn from the pros.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:01 pm

AcousticJoe wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:47 pm
studio460 wrote:
I had to create a very precisely timed LFO in a simple, but very specific shape to emulate an air-raid siren, timed to the tenths of seconds.
Haha! Well, I'm certainly no pro and I had to ask for help here to get started. Plus, I assure you, I didn't even come close to nailing it. I got it in the ballpark, but still not quite right.

Anywho, I used a Zadar envelope to control pitch on two different VCOs tuned to a specific frequency-interval apart (thanks to another member's recommendation). My memory is a bit fuzzy on exactly what settings I finally arrived at, but I had to shape the envelope and its timing to match a real one and the rise/fall-times of the v/oct was actually fairly specific. So I took the stock "hump" shape and adjusted the slopes on each side, plus adjusted the envelope-width to get the timing right on the overall length. The fall was a slightly different period (i.e., the real ones' spin-up and spin-down times aren't symmetrical).

So it was a very simple envelope shape, but needed to be "just right." So I recall dialing down the overall envelope-time down to fractions of a second (something like 9.2 seconds), which the Zadar makes easy as pie to do. It was surprising how such small changes in timing made it sound either more or less authentic. The patch was fairly simple: Zadar ➝ Braids' v/oct-input ➝ Logic reverb plug-in. Forgot exactly which Braids' patch I used; I think it's the one with the four upside-down 'Ts'.

In the iconic movie-versions, air-raid sirens are often heard (i.e., created/recorded), coming from multiple towers so there's different timings on when the sounds reach the listener, plus all the various reverb timings. It's probably easier to first create two sirens, then multitrack to layer the rest. It's actually much more difficult than I had imagined it would be to mimic faithfully.

AcousticJoe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AcousticJoe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:51 pm

Wow, nice! Thanks for explaining!
Hope you didn't cause too much anxiety for your neighbors or yourself with all those sirens going off :D
Now I have a new wiggle homework for the weekend: air raid siren.

tokidoki
Common Wiggler

Post by tokidoki » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:01 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:51 pm
tokidoki wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:22 pm
starthief wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Frap Tools 321. Those tiny slide switches... in black, hiding in the shadows of a black panel.
Great module with a little improvement. Colors not definitive.

Where did you get those knobs? Too bad you don’t have green ones but still cool. I’d like to get some of those to put on mine.
Fixed. Green is better.

IMG_4797 mod 10 b.jpg
IMG_4797 mod 10 b.jpg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 718 times

LunaticSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:31 am

studio460 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:01 pm
AcousticJoe wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:47 pm
studio460 wrote:
Haha! Well, I'm certainly no pro and I had to ask for help here to get started. Plus, I assure you, I didn't even come close to nailing it. I got it in the ballpark, but still not quite right.

Anywho, I used a Zadar envelope to control pitch on two different VCOs tuned to a specific frequency-interval apart (thanks to another member's recommendation). My memory is a bit fuzzy on exactly what settings I finally arrived at, but I had to shape the envelope and its timing to match a real one and the rise/fall-times of the v/oct was actually fairly specific. So I took the stock "hump" shape and adjusted the slopes on each side, plus adjusted the envelope-width to get the timing right on the overall length. The fall was a slightly different period (i.e., the real ones' spin-up and spin-down times aren't symmetrical).

So it was a very simple envelope shape, but needed to be "just right." So I recall dialing down the overall envelope-time down to fractions of a second (something like 9.2 seconds), which the Zadar makes easy as pie to do. It was surprising how such small changes in timing made it sound either more or less authentic. The patch was fairly simple: Zadar ➝ Braids' v/oct-input ➝ Logic reverb plug-in. Forgot exactly which Braids' patch I used; I think it's the one with the four upside-down 'Ts'.

In the iconic movie-versions, air-raid sirens are often heard (i.e., created/recorded), coming from multiple towers so there's different timings on when the sounds reach the listener, plus all the various reverb timings. It's probably easier to first create two sirens, then multitrack to layer the rest. It's actually much more difficult than I had imagined it would be to mimic faithfully.
I would strongly prefer Maths for this job, faster, more hands on, all parameters on the panel always. Using Zadar for a simple slope seems clunky to me.

Fractions of a second are long time intervals in music btw. Just to give a different view on this.

Sundaybeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sundaybeat » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:09 am

bronzebygold wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 pm
Mutable Instruments: I can see the appeal of Mutable Instruments. I appreciate the creativity that goes into them. I've even TRIED to like them, but I just don't. I don't like the designs. I don't like the sound. It's just not for me.
I agree: also for me MI modules are great on paper, but after a while I feel disappointed and sell it.
Why? I don't know. I like it, I buy it, I use it and... something doesn't click with me.
I owned: Plaits, Rings, Marbles and Grids. After some time I found myself less and less using all of these, despite all their goodies.
Currently I own only Tides. Now I like it very much. Time will tell.... it may be the only MI module that fit to me.

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:51 am

starthief wrote:
Ooh, a fightin' words thread :hihi:
:hihi: too funny
starthief wrote:
DPO. In other hands it sounds beautiful, and it is an undeniable classic. For myself, I just didn't love it like I loved Hertz Donut mk2, Double Helix, and now Shapeshifter.
I still have my DPO from way back and it's still in my rack. I don't use it as much as my Hertz Donut mk2 or Sputnik Modular Dual Oscillator. The Shapeshifter sounds great too however and could be a replacement for the DPO.

jingo
Common Wiggler

Post by jingo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:51 pm

unclebastard wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:11 pm
Liar ;)

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:53 pm

jingo wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:51 pm
unclebastard wrote:
Liar ;)
Love the user name. Are you a Santana fan?

jingo
Common Wiggler

Post by jingo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:11 pm

No, not really, actually it's my rl nickname :)

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am

jfloftin wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:53 pm
jingo wrote:
unclebastard wrote:
Liar ;)
Love the user name. Are you a Santana fan?
No, my username comes from my opinion of a family member. Long story, not worth repeating.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:25 am

jingo wrote:
unclebastard wrote:
Liar ;)
Am not! I have neither the money, space or inclination to go window shopping. I've made my choices, and I'm happy to work with what I have.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:18 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:14 am
Multi Grooves wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 am
Raindeer wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:33 am
Disting Mk4 - I’d probably treat it like Netflix and just scroll through without ever picking anything.
"Netflix & slew"

Hmmm I may add that to my dating profile... potentially a great filter system.
"bb u might be an lfo, but i can get you into audio range. they call me the love modulator."

::reports dooj88 for harassment::
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:39 pm

You guys all need to step back for a second and calm down.
You are all having too much fun :yay:
I read through this thread, for the first time.
Had a really good time.
Oh, what don't I like.
O & C, Plonk, all 2HP modules. (well I just wish they would change their name to at least 3 HP) and yes, Pams new workout,
I like pams old workout, it is just a divider.
I don't like modules that are computers and modules that are too small.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Steven Banks wannabe.......
I am an under the influencer

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm

starthief wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:15 am
Daisuk wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:33 am
I don't like the menu diving and button combos on the mk3 IME modules one bit, which is a shame as they all sound great.
Yeah, it seemed like a huge shift in the wrong direction from mk2. I wonder what portion of people in modular wanted a preset manager, vs. what portion prefers knob per function?
Drmdmamd wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:34 am
Going to play Devils advocate for the IME mk3 modules.
They take some time to get used to and are not as complicated to work as they seem on paper.
I will say I don’t really understand the present manager, nor do I care enough to learn.
I'm more anoyed by the odd 15hp and 17hp sized of IME MkIII modules. But I'll take them as is, over the 30HP+ they'd need if they were knob per function.
I will say that the mode/select buttons on IME MkIII are very intuitive and become muscle memory very fast.
As far as the Preset Manager, I think it is really cool. I use it a lot.
My feeling is that the inspiration for it comes very much from Buchla 200e.
As I had read one Buchla artist say - If you don't use the preset and preset morphing/switching capabilities of the 200e system - Don't buy Buchla 200e.
IME Mk3 Modules don't have the "networked" capability of Buchla 200e, but you certainly get that "I can turn 50 knobs with one CV" feeling. You just need to mult that CV to every IME MkII devices' Preset Morph CV input.
It's definitely a thing of personal taste - but I disagree with these critisisms about the IME MkIII direction. I really like them.
My only complaints are the annoying inability to accept bipolar pitch, and those odd HP widths - that are only solved by having TWO MkIII modules. Kermit doesn't count.

Modules I'm not excited about:
MATHS.
Didn't get on with Shapeshifter no matter how much I tried.
Marbles (Lisa said it perfectly).
Rings.
Endorphin.es 6HP series. Love the concepts...didn't care for the execution.
Distings left me with a cold emptiness. Like trying to create art with the design language of Craigslist.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:27 pm

Disting EX, Varigate 4+ and Malekko Quad Envelope.

Disting was a pain to use with menu diving and confusing knob mapping to functions.
Varigate 4+ was not precise of a sequencer and a pain to use.
Malekko Quad Envelope had same issues as Varigate 4+ for me.

Funny that Quadrax was mentioned as I really love this module for creating chaos generator with my modules especially with the Qx expander module!
But after getting the Acid Rain Technology Maestro that is really fun for chaining patterns together as well with six channels of mayhem. I really like this with Mob of Emus for a powerful trio of modulation madness.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:29 pm

Make Noise Morphagene

I have a Catskill Analog TE-2 coming. I won't miss the MN God awful UI.

hpsmasher
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hpsmasher » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Xaoc Zadar - I just didn't get along with this module. It never felt like I could get it to output an envelope that I really found useful, chaotic yes, but not that useful. I found the modulation was kinda a pain to dial in too.

Pressure Points - I still have it, but this thing hates my fingers and I wish it didn't.

Plaits - It can do a lot and its fun to play with, but it just doesn't sound very good to me. Everything coming out of it sounds generic. The particle noise is perhaps my favorite algo oddly enough.

I'll go ahead an defend the IME MKIII series which I 'm a big fan of. The most common complaints I see are about the screen/preset manager, which I don't really get. Every critical function has a dedicated knob or button, and most of what's available in the menus are global parameters that change infrequently (and can be saved as a preset that loads on startup). Even most of those have a knob/button combo if you chose, which isn't that different than memorizing some of the obtuse panel designs that are out there (ahem Frap) and at least you can do it in the dark! If you cant be bothered to learn those then yeah I guess they aren't for you, but I think you're missing out. If a screen exists people feel they have to stare at it (we're kinda programmed to do that these days), but really you could put a piece of tape over it and be fine. They do indeed sound quite different than the MKII series, so if the sound isn't your cup of tea then I can totally understand that.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 pm

Just about anything MI or MN. I'm not really into the "popular stuff," and PNW is about the only top 100 module I own. I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about popular stuff, but "what do I need to accomplish a task?" or "what would be useful to create something new?"
Instagram | Soundcloud | MG Main Rack 6U+6U

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:19 am

bronzebygold wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:28 pm
studio460 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:17 pm
bronzebygold wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:16 pm

Contour 1 is as close to perfect as I need. Two of those combined with Compare 2 is the best DUSG clone I've tried by a long shot . . .
Interesting! I have two Contour 1s already. So just add a Compare 2 and I've got Maths/DUSG-equivalent?
Absolutely. I even put my Compare 2 between my two Contour 1s, so the layout is even similar to Maths. You lose the mixer/offsets and rectifier on Maths. But you get far more in terms of logic from the Compare 2. You also get v/8 tracking with the Contour 1s, voltage control over curve shape, the "freeze" input, and, because the modules are separate rather than integrated, you can easily use the different parts of the DUSG for different tasks at the same time.

I paired mine with Cold Mac and 3xMIA, and together that replicates basically everything Maths can do and much more. ...in more hp of course, but but it's also vastly more powerful in the long run. ;)
That's great! Thank you for the detailed answer. Sorry I missed your reply—just noticed it now. Looks like I'm down for a Compare 2 soon (even though I have no idea what dual comparator-windows do!). But I currently have zero logic-modules, so I'm sure it'll be handy.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”