What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Re: What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Post by medium Rob » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:37 am

DJMaytag wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 pm
I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about popular stuff, but "what do I need to accomplish a task?" or "what would be useful to create something new?"
a common sense approach is not unusual. some "popular" modules are popular because they're useful for a variety of applications, or because they do something unique. it's sensible to look at modules for their attributes / functionality, rather than whether or not they're trendy or whatever.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Post by dooj88 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:48 am

DJMaytag wrote:
I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about popular stuff
(!=)
DJMaytag wrote:
Just about anything MI or MN. I'm not really into the "popular stuff,"
sorry, couldn't resist. i get wanting to explore less popular options to make sure you're putting your money to work and not just gobbling up the newest thing though.

lets see.. i sold the morphagene because it emitted a high pitched sound and button combos were getting in the way of patch feng-shui. 4ms SWN is in similar boat. i was thrilled when they announced it, but seeing the method of operation turned me off.

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am

dooj88 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:48 am

lets see.. i sold the morphagene because it emitted a high pitched sound and button combos were getting in the way of patch feng-shui. 4ms SWN is in similar boat. i was thrilled when they announced it, but seeing the method of operation turned me off.
I had the SWN for a month, and while the features and sounds it makes are amazing, the workflow was a real turn off. I also found it was not very usable as a melodic source. As a self contained drone machine, even in a tonal context, it sounds great - but all the shift/push-hold combos are not fun.

sydilaxe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sydilaxe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am

Take this with a grain of salt...

For me, anything Synthesis Technology - vanilla designs that don't really take things in a new direction (partnering with Eric was a step in the right direction) and a focus on the quality of the engineering instead of UI and musicality.

Maths - give me a DSG anyday. I love MakeNoise but I hated this module.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:20 am

Interesting post.

I have to chime in here and say very loudly: Basimilus Iteritas Alter

I read all the hype. Watched a bunch of Youtube videos. Saw everyone saying how genius it is... Sure, you can make it do a bunch of different things if you constantly want to tweak it while clocking it. But even with extremely precise voltage sent to it at exactly the moment you want it to be a particular sound, it just doesn't happen. It lags on voltage response (like a slew) and the range is weird and annoying.

After owning it for a while and going back and watching demos and jams, I realize it's everything I hate about Youtube "jams" just long, boring, glitchy sounds that have no creativity or actual forethought going in.... Just put 6 triggers into every input and push "go" and you have an instant modular "song" that might sound good for the 1st 10 seconds. You can do that with basically any VCO, Envelope, Filter and some creativity.

Since I'm fairly new, I suffered from the "it's probably just me" type of thinking, but when there are a bunch of modules that instantly produce fun and interesting results - one's that I never wonder about, it's time to move on.

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:49 am

GregIcky wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:20 am
Interesting post.

I read all the hype. Watched a bunch of Youtube videos. Saw everyone saying how genius it is... Sure, you can make it do a bunch of different things if you constantly want to tweak it while clocking it. But even with extremely precise voltage sent to it at exactly the moment you want it to be a particular sound, it just doesn't happen. It lags on voltage response (like a slew) and the range is weird and annoying.

After owning it for a while and going back and watching demos and jams, I realize it's everything I hate about Youtube "jams" just long, boring, glitchy sounds that have no creativity or actual forethought going in.... Just put 6 triggers into every input and push "go" and you have an instant modular "song" that might sound good for the 1st 10 seconds. You can do that with basically any VCO, Envelope, Filter and some creativity.

Since I'm fairly new, I suffered from the "it's probably just me" type of thinking, but when there are a bunch of modules that instantly produce fun and interesting results - one's that I never wonder about, it's time to move on.
100% agree. This is the same reason I haven't been convinced to buy any Mannequins' modules.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:29 pm

After having it for over a year, I'm still on the fence about Maths.

I use it mainly for a quick slope into something where I need to adjust the amount of voltage and the time of the rise/fall. Seems like a waste of a module to use it just for that.

I've also run into the limiting factor of the curve shape having only ONE knob and like the idea of something like Joruanalogue that has lin/exp as separate adjustments on both rise and fall.

I almost never use the invert, sum and or outputs, but I do find the self patching can do wonders and like the gate at EOR and EOF. Probably should do a search for Maths alternatives, I'm sure a topic exists.

_cyberAnalog_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _cyberAnalog_ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:11 pm

dooj88 wrote:
I hated the Morphagene for this. Just could not stand that operating noise.
Now I am more-or-less happy with MI Beads. (Yes, I know, it has a different purpose.)

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:11 am

dooj88 wrote:
DJMaytag wrote:
I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about popular stuff
(!=)
DJMaytag wrote:
Just about anything MI or MN. I'm not really into the "popular stuff,"
sorry, couldn't resist. i get wanting to explore less popular options to make sure you're putting your money to work and not just gobbling up the newest thing though.
Whenever you see a "what do you think?" or "what's missing?" type post with a ModularGrid image, it's usually predominantly racks full of Mutable, Intellijel, and Make Noise. That's about the extent what I know of "popular" stuff. Well, that and when I decided to get a PNW, it was #1 on the MG top list.

For the most part, I don't want to pay premium prices nor play the waiting game to get the modules I want. That's arguably the biggest reason for not wanting to touch any of the "popular" stuff, and I've been around long enough to see "the great module sell off" every time there's another round of hot new modules released. I'm quite content scooping up the leftovers of 2016-2019 from people selling their old stuff to fund new stuff, and saving :75:!
Instagram | Soundcloud | MG Main Rack 6U+6U

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:53 pm

Plaits. Once I’ve bothered to sample it a bit I’m flogging it.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Raymond wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:54 am
Basically everything Instruo
Arbhar caused so much noise in my system (including out from other modules) that I had to just return it. Plus the latency and some shafts installed crooked. Not impressed, but just a sample of one person, one module and one unit

Also couldn’t get on with metropolis due to the clunky long switches, but loved the theory of it

Most other modules I didn’t get along with I felt were “it’s me, not you”

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Post by Nonlocal » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:49 am
GregIcky wrote:
Interesting post.

100% agree. This is the same reason I haven't been convinced to buy any Mannequins' modules.
Curious what you mean specifically about mannequins. Are you talking about voltage response issues, or about lack of creative patching? Just asking because Ive seen nothing by but precision and flexibility with what I have.

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Nonlocal wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 pm
studioutopia wrote:
GregIcky wrote:
Interesting post.

Curious what you mean specifically about mannequins. Are you talking about voltage response issues, or about lack of creative patching? Just asking because Ive seen nothing by but precision and flexibility with what I have.
To clarify: I am definitely talking about demonstrations of using Mannequinns modules. I'd like to see more videos of them used in a part of a system, being used melodically, or a more applied use.
What I have heard on youtube videos does sound very immediate and precise... a major reason I want to hear more.

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Post by Nonlocal » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:01 am

studioutopia wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:51 pm
Nonlocal wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 pm
studioutopia wrote:
GregIcky wrote:
Interesting post.

To clarify: I am definitely talking about demonstrations of using Mannequinns modules. I'd like to see more videos of them used in a part of a system, being used melodically, or a more applied use.
What I have heard on youtube videos does sound very immediate and precise... a major reason I want to hear more.
Ah ok, that I can agree with. The demo videos are very much just that, and it’s hard to spend a few hundred based almost solely on hype. If it helps convince you at all though, i can say that the capabilities go way beyond that.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:04 am

Some recent popular ones i've bought and never really cared for

Ensemble Osc.. Not bad just not for me, anything with chords is just a pain to use together with other instruments, getting it to sound in tune. nah, good for more musically trained people i bet.

Rings. Pretty good but i got tired of the sound. Tried the input for some things but no, i don't think it fits my music.

Mimeophon. Could have kept if i had more money, though i think there are much better modules for glitch (Data Bender) and for reverb and delay i think my FX Aids are better, has more to offer / wider range. Though this module has very good sound quality and i was lucky to have one that had no noise at all.

Morphagene. Borrowed one. Just very cumbersome in useage i thought, not fun, unlike Data Bender or Monsoon which both are very no-nonsense and quick to use..

BIA.. yeah, i had it for around 2 years.. i don't think it's a module you can modulate too much, its more like setting it up to sound like you want and then perhaps modulate one input slightly to add flavor / get motion. people using every input and modulating it like crazy, that never sounds good. The module has some sweet spots that you want to use, then it's a good module.

ZenitSar
Common Wiggler

Post by ZenitSar » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:54 pm

BIA was really cool to me when I first got it. Then it got old very fast. Always sounded too samey. Recently sold it, and do not miss it.

Maths is used a lot in my setup. I pretty much hate the layout of it, but it's very useful to me. I consider switching it for another FG often.

I'm still on the fence about Pam's NW. It's super useful, but I kinda hate setting it up and dealing with it in general.

Disting is another one that's handy to have around for a couple of things, but mostly is unused. I guess I keep it for the Lin>Exp conversion so I can use my modular with my Yamaha Cs-15 on a rare occasion. It needs to go.

Not interested in any of the Mutable stuff. I do love my Elements though. Sold it then bought it again. I'm building a little pod system based around that, a couple of controllers and a quantizer. Just to play percussion and flute sounds with my hippie friends at drum jams.

There's a bunch of popular brands that seem cool. I used to think about cool new modules just for the sake of trying new things or having the latest and greatest. Now I lean towards Doepfer stuff because I like the company vibe and they're simple and seem easily repaired.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:16 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:04 am
Ensemble Osc.. Not bad just not for me, anything with chords is just a pain to use together with other instruments, getting it to sound in tune. nah, good for more musically trained people i bet.
that's pretty much the reason i've stayed away from trying it out, but after hearing robotopsy's new video, it's something i'd consider getting eventually. there's a world of sounds in there aside from sine wave chords.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:20 am

dooj88 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:16 pm

that's pretty much the reason i've stayed away from trying it out, but after hearing robotopsy's new video, it's something i'd consider getting eventually. there's a world of sounds in there aside from sine wave chords.
Absolutely. But i rather get something from e.g Noise Engineering then, i mean you're missing out on a ton of stuff if you're not into chords, and it's also a rather big module since it has to do the chords part. Personally i instead got Dust of Time which i'm hoping to get today.

donttouchmyrice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by donttouchmyrice » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:52 am

Random*source NTO.
Too much HP, far too expensive, small soundpalette.
It's good looking though.

Val
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Val » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:12 am

Since I fell in love with Serge readaptations (yeah I love the NTO, it's sound/color, and the fact that's it's big, the evenly spaced knobs and jacks ... yeeeeeah) and Doepfer, almost anything isn't appealing to me.
I like Xaoc for their clever designs (very interesting read about Batumi here), and I consider Make Noise as classic and good sounding. (and contrary to a lot here, I like the make noise panels)
I like "simple" modules with panels clearly laid out. Like Verbos for example. (yes ..., make noise is clearly laid out for me, in a stylish way)

Anything else is just fancy stuff and macro-modules that could be patched If you know what you do. Instruo is a good example for this, at actually brings nothing much new.

I can understand how any of the Mutable module can be liked/useful if you are into a specific function/sound and want a module that specifically does it. not for me IDK.
I you like that just get a MicroFreak hahaha. All the interesting algos are in there.

There's also a lot of multi FX or audio manipulation modules like qu-bit etc that I'd rather have in max4live but I understand that you'd want CV over effects and integrate them in a patch (the point of going modular)

I don't get the Noise Engineering modules at all, very confusing. And the names and the constant output of new modules don't help at all. They seem nice, I just find them absolutely confusing.

Anything with the tiny trimmers, sorry I dont want to use tweezers. so CIAO all the Pico modules and others 2hp modules.

oh yeah, what i don't like at all about make noise WHY would you sell modules BLACK and other SILVER. WHY. WHY DO YOU DO THAT?

I like a system coherent, and I like having a few brands only (i LOVE the diversity in Euro but i like it cohesive and aesthetically inspiring, also: Voltages!) that means there's a lot of modules out there that I could like but don't want them since they could somewhat be replaced by other in the manufacturers I listed, and yeah, Im not sure I'd want a system with modules from various manufacturers. So I pass on these

as stated by the OP to each of their own!
WTB: XAOC: Samara II, Batumi + Poti, Sewastopol II
DIY kits (panel+pcb): Haible Tau phaser, NTO, DUSG, VCFQ

Return to “Eurorack Modules”