What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Re: What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 pm

psienide wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:00 pm
So back on clouds, since I see it mentioned alot here. Did anyone in the same position have better luck with an alt-firmware, and which?
Not a huge fan of the original firmware, but the parasites Miverb (formerly Oliverb) is a very interesting effect. It has some cool sweet spots and can be dialed in easily. The Resonester is also really interesting and useful if you don't have another MI resonator like rings or elements to jam external signals into. It's also nice that Magpie offers alternative panels for the modes because it can be a little annoying having to check parasites notes and remember what knob does what in the middle of a jam.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Re: What are some of the more popular modules that you either are not excited about, don’t like or don’t find useful?

Post by Peng33 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:23 pm

studio460 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:45 pm
Yeah, BSP is another device I've yet to master to get the full benefit. It's been hard-wired to my Alesis SR18, and it makes a great drum-machine programmer. But I've only scratched the surface on its melodic sequencing capability (although I just bought a Pittsburgh Micro Sequence B). My biggest regret, however, is that I didn't know they made a black version of the BSP at the time I bought mine—it looks wicked-cool in black!
Guitar Center exclusive.
20210313_201922.jpg
Have not done a lot with it, as I was on a semi-modular spree at the time and have not spent the time with it that I need to, but I have used it to sequence this a few times:
20210313_201934.jpg
Last edited by Peng33 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:26 pm

ultar wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:12 pm
jkanizzle wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:55 pm
Akemie’s Taiko - let me say that sometimes I LOVE it. It can be so drippy and weird and bubbly. Yet it’s unpredictable nature because of the voodoo known as fm synthesis, combined with its ‘snapshot’ triggered sound under modulation, has it currently moved to an underused rack of modules.
I totally get this, though now I completely love Akemie's Taiko. It is one of the modules that I've sold and bought a second time. Mainly sold it because it just didn't fit in with patches, instead usually sticking out in a bad way. For me it's best as the star of the show being used as the central voice and adding around it. One of those modules that can make sounds ranging from horribly annoying to strange & interesting to sublime & beautiful. It's also one of my favorite all-time modules aesthetically- the font, the knobs, the asymmetrical layout & that one solitary red LED all just gel for me.

Totally! Like I said, sometimes LOVE it. Currently focused on a live setup/rig though and it didn’t make the cut because of these reasons. Ultimately the biggest reason was the snapshot thing, makes any sort of predictability null and void. I am definitely not selling it though, and foresee having a second honeymoon with her sooner than later!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:07 pm

psienide wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:00 pm
So back on clouds, since I see it mentioned alot here. Did anyone in the same position have better luck with an alt-firmware, and which?
I had the opposite experience -- I got a Supercell, but found I really wasn't into all of the alternative firmware stuff in Superparasites and just wanted to use regular Clouds mode. Partially because the controls actually matched the panel and I didn't need a cheat sheet, but also because I felt like granular mode got better the more I learned it. To me it was a lot more fun to make it imitate a delay or reverb (without using the reverb knob) than to hop between modes.

(I was about to trade it for a Typhoon when Emilie contacted me about beta testing Beads, so that was fortunate timing for me.)

But then, I wasn't much into the Parasites extras for Warps, either, for similar control/output reassignment confusion. The tape delay sounds good, but given all of the other variations out there, I still wonder why nobody ever turned the Warps Parasite tape delay code into a dedicated module with the right set of knobs and jacks for the job.

tokidoki
Common Wiggler

Post by tokidoki » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:33 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:51 pm
tokidoki wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:22 pm
starthief wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Frap Tools 321. Those tiny slide switches... in black, hiding in the shadows of a black panel.
Great module with a little improvement. Colors not definitive.

Where did you get those knobs? Too bad you don’t have green ones but still cool. I’d like to get some of those to put on mine.
Ordered the green ones which are new for 2021. Green and forest...

toppers -new - 2021.jpg
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/tall-trimmer-toppers/

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:48 am

O_c : A few years ago, my uScales kept acting flakey, so I got O_c to at least use it for Quantermain, which worked pretty well. But once I got a couple of the new Scales, I fooled around a bit with Automatonnetz, then shelved it. I brought it out again recently to refamiliarize myself with it and try some of the other programs, but relearning the interface deterred me from going very far. This says nothing critical about the O_c. I think the collection of functions suits me pretty well. It just illustrates the weakness of a multi program module with a common generic interface. If later I commit myself to it in order to get back over the interface hump, and use it regularly, I can see myself keeping it.

Disting: What a great bang for the buck. I bought the original mostly as a means to try the different functions and to see if any were useful enough to then purchase dedicated modules. I think it helped in that regard, but I never saw it as a permanent module unless I was to keep it in a single mode and wire it in that fashion. Which I didn't.

IME mk3 series: ( I don't really know if IME fits into the "popular" category, but anyway...) As much as I have liked and respected what Harvestman/IME has produced, at this point I can't get on with the tiny screens and, to me, the cramped panel interfaces. I really wanted to like the Mk3 Kermit, but having to crouch down to see the screen just became too much. I sold it, yet I still have the earlier Kermit.

Mutable, sometimes: If I can remember the meaning of the colored symbols and LEDs, I am fine. Which means as long as I am using them regularly. But if not, I have to crouch down to try to interpret things, or get out reference material. (BTW, the Magpie faceplates aren't colored, so I used a water-based marker to color the circles green, orange, and red.)

I respect the fact the a lot of modular users want to put the most function in the smallest space (and cost,) and live with the compromises. But in general personally, I like things more spread out and WYSIWYG.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 am

studio460 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:13 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:33 am
I've also come to dislike Make Noise panels . . . their general usage of icons and what have you in their panels is confusing to me.
Yeah, I have a huge aversion to their panel-designs: Great modules; ugly panels. So I made a vow to never buy a Make Noise module unless Grayscale made an alternate panel for it.

I actually think the panels look good, I just don't always know what everything is, especially clock input, haha. The grayscale panels are lovely though. Wish every single module out there had a grayscale - too much boring black panels out there in the year 2021, it's ruining my racks anesthetic. 😅

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:47 am

Beads Just got this, only because there was an opportunity locally to grab one. I wasn't excited about it at release as I didn't really like Clouds. Like Clouds, I'm not sure I'm really that into it. Like many Mutable modules there is 'stuff to learn' regarding the interface that I'm not enamoured with. You'll see this theme continues below. I've owned a ton of Mutable modules, right now Frames is a keeper, and so is Marbles. I didn't love Rings, but did like Elements. It's a meh / love relationship with this brand.

Quadrax. Really good, but Quadra is definitely preferable. I have both but I love how Quadra needs no manual, but Quadrax has different coloured LEDS which are at times confusing, and functions that sometimes need a read of the manual.

O_C. I have the uO_C version. Jacks are too tight, interface is average, don't use it as much as I'd like because of that, but the functions are cool. I usually just used Quantermain and Copiermaschine. The Quantermain functionality has been replaced entirely by Simfonion, way more fun.

E352/E370 Hate the rotate/click encoder interface. Loved my E350, and a massive fan of Synth Tech, but the interface on these two, while workable, is just no fun. TBH it's totally put me off the Hyperion E520.

Pam's No thanks, I hate the interface.

Interface is everything to me. I like intuitive, no manual modules. The only exception for me is USTA, which has really rewarded a deep dive. I Love that thing despite the multi-colour functions and lack of easy 'grok'. Some modules are 'worth the effort' I suppose.

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Post by dvdmllr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:43 am

lisa wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:44 am
MI Marbles. Some folks manage to make it their own but to me it felt like a randomized preset machine for melodies and a rhythm box preset machine for beats. It was never fully my music when I used Marbles in a patch.
That! Replaced Marbles with a Sapel to cover random in my rack and it fits my workflow a lot better.
bronzebygold wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 pm
Mutable Instruments: I can see the appeal of Mutable Instruments. I appreciate the creativity that goes into them. I've even TRIED to like them, but I just don't. I don't like the designs. I don't like the sound. It's just not for me.
Same here, no MI module has stayed in my rack for more than a few weeks. They just don't work for me.

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:03 am

jkanizzle wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:55 pm
Akemie’s Taiko - let me say that sometimes I LOVE it. It can be so drippy and weird and bubbly. Yet it’s unpredictable nature because of the voodoo known as fm synthesis, combined with its ‘snapshot’ triggered sound under modulation, has it currently moved to an underused rack of modules.
I sold mine. Weird module. It had me thinking 'this is amazing' one minute to 'this is frustrating as f**k' the next. Plus I found the 'tinniness' of the sound somewhat hard to tame.

When it hit the sweet spot though, it was awesome. I just found chasing and maintaining that sweet spot too frustrating. I'd try and tweak something a bit and end up not being able to get back to where I started!

Selling it was like a break up with me saying 'The problem's not you, it's me'!
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Plaits

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:29 am

Hertz Donut. Got one for a steal. Really shitty that it doesn't save all your settings, i don't keep a single one of those modules and i nowadays always ask before i buy a module so that i'm sure it saves.

Maths. Hate how it looks, just messy overall.

Akemie’s Taiko. yeah i agree with what's been said. I held onto it for many years but rarely found use for it. It's not bad though.

Interstellar Radio. Nah, kept it for 2 years but its just not very musically interesting imo (as in doing harsh, noisy stuff).

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 am

Raindeer wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:33 am
Disting Mk4 - I’d probably treat it like Netflix and just scroll through without ever picking anything.
"Netflix & slew"

Hmmm I may add that to my dating profile... potentially a great filter system.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:43 am

Insteresting thread.

I don't think it's a good and bad module issue. It is about the expectations that one had when buying it, and above all, how it is combined with the rest of the modules that one already has. The user interface goes by brands. If you like Makenoise's style, for example, you might not find Intellijel's original or daring. The possibilities are endless, it's about the whole.

The best solution in theory is to have several modules grouped by brand. The subsets thus created have the consistency that the manufacturer has put into them: aesthetics, performance, ergonomics, etc. This is not usually possible in practice. For this reason, we end up having modules with a treatment of each aspect (oscillators, modulations, sequencing, etc.) different according to the brand.

For this reason, I would not say that there are models that work better for one than others, but rather that it is a question of manufacturer's approaches, that fit better with what one expects or believes that it better suits one's own style, or what one expects from it. modular.

For example, I like Noise Engineering for the quality it breathes, just like Mutable Instruments and Intellijel. Now, the aesthetics and handling is very different.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:47 am

Daisuk wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:33 am
I don't like the menu diving and button combos on the mk3 IME modules one bit, which is a shame as they all sound great. I've also come to dislike Make Noise panels, I always struggle with finding the clock in on them for instance, and their general usage of icons and what have you in their panels is confusing to me.

I actually have one new and one old Pam! Love them. Just like Brandon logic I tend to need divisions and multiplications of the master clock spread out everywhere in a patch, and I always run out, so now I have two! Love them to bits. 😁
I use bastl Little Nerd for divisions and multiples of master clock. Each channel has its own knob. I used to have og Pams but single knob input for Eulcid patterns was a nono. You loose waaaay too much immediacy, so she had to go. Similar deal with eloquencer.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

Benoist
Common Wiggler

Post by Benoist » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:52 am

NE oscillators ... ( can't include BIA since I don't have it )
If they were in the 200 - 250 euros range I wouldn't complain but I don't have for my money related to their sonic range, major complain is that many controls are kind of fine tuners to me, I won't buy BIA since my latest acquisition was Manis and was by very far the most limited / disappointing ...
I hope Virt Iter will be more exciting / surprising in a Shapeshifter way.

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Post by dvdmllr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:43 am

Benoist wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:52 am
NE oscillators ... ( can't include BIA since I don't have it )
If they were in the 200 - 250 euros range I wouldn't complain but I don't have for my money related to their sonic range, major complain is that many controls are kind of fine tuners to me, I won't buy BIA since my latest acquisition was Manis and was by very far the most limited / disappointing ...
I hope Virt Iter will be more exciting / surprising in a Shapeshifter way.
Interestingly enough I have owned the BIA, Manis, Cursus and LIP at one point and the BIA is the only one that has stuck with me through many iterations of my rack (I might give the LIP another shot at some point though)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:09 am

drxcm wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:47 am
E352/E370 Hate the rotate/click encoder interface. Loved my E350, and a massive fan of Synth Tech, but the interface on these two, while workable, is just no fun. TBH it's totally put me off the Hyperion E520.
E520 is far less of an encoder workout. After setting up some preferences, the only thing I use the encoder for is switching algorithms. Click, turn, click, done. Everything else is analog pots and the 5 buttons.

(The internal "stretch goal" LFOs would require a lot of awkward menu hopping, if I ever used them -- they're more for people who only have the E520 in a PodX with non-modular gear.)

aandreari
Common Wiggler

Post by aandreari » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:36 am

Modules that i've/i had:
O_c : still in my rack since it might be a powerful module but i'm not using it at all, just sometimes the sequins app.
lyra8fx: way too big for what it is, a double delay with a distortion section and no cv. sold
MN Rosie: not a good feeling with it, the idea is not bad but there wasn't a match. sold
Clouds: hate and love between me and clouds bougth it and sold it two times. i'm now exploring beads but i'm not 100% convinced at the moment. I even tought of selling it but the market is pretty crazy on that unit so i don't know how to deal with that.

Hyped modules:
MI marbles: tried on vcv, watched a couple of videos. i don't get the point of this module.
ochd: same story, why so hyped? it's not eve that cheap for what it does.

Sundaybeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sundaybeat » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:09 am

Very funny and interesting thread!
This is my list:

Maths - it never appealed to me, despite I watched several enthusiastic youtube's reviews.

Plaits - I don't like standalone synth voices in modular.

Sequencers - are boring!

Rings - after a while there was nothing to discover. It sounds always the same.

Multi fx units: I do prefer external pedals. Are quite better and save space in the rack. Yes, I loose cv on parameters, but honestly: I never needed to modulate a delay time or a reverb feedback.

About Pam and Disting, I do love both and I use it in all my patches. Great modules IMO.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:14 am

Multi Grooves wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 am
Raindeer wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:33 am
Disting Mk4 - I’d probably treat it like Netflix and just scroll through without ever picking anything.
"Netflix & slew"

Hmmm I may add that to my dating profile... potentially a great filter system.
"bb u might be an lfo, but i can get you into audio range. they call me the love modulator."

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:05 pm

1. Mutable Instruments except "Kinks". Sound and design is not my cup of tea. In the sound of the modules I seem to detect always the same something I don't like.
2. Make noise except "Maths". Design is bad. Sound is not right for me
3. Digital multifunction modules like O_C, disting etc.
4. "Erika Synth" too many MK2, MK3 modules after a short time. Didn't like the ones I had.

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Post by mkdvb » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:54 pm

Sundaybeat wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:09 am
Multi fx units: I do prefer external pedals. Are quite better and save space in the rack. Yes, I loose cv on parameters, but honestly: I never needed to modulate a delay time or a reverb feedback.
I'm completely the opposite: I have a little slow triangle LFO permanently patched into my Matriarch's delay & the Erica Zen Delay's inability to modulate the delay time is a glaring flaw in an otherwise stellar unit.

Some modules I didn't gel with:

Magneto - huge, expensive and sounds really good without real "mojo", which I think is my general take on all the Strymon stuff, pedals too. Peculiar decisions regarding features & CV patch points too.

Chronoblob 2 - just thought it sounded kinda boring

Dual Borg filter - too wild, not boring enough

Clouds (Typhoon clone) - felt it sounded bad, bad enough that I questioned whether Mutable clones are true clones or if there was some compromise in parts or processing power. I do have Beads now & it sounds great.

Disting 4 & Plum 1u O_c - interface nightmares, even with the screen on the Plum. I feel utilities should be like exec assistants or secretaries, making my life easier without requiring so much intervention that it'd be easier to do it myself. These guys took up a lot of mental real estate for utilities ... like I couldn't even just randomly patch into them without pulling up manuals on my phone.

That said, Pam's is absolutely essential for my system, on the other side of the interface nightmare of Disting & O_c. With only a 62 hp Palette, I rely on it for almost all of my modulation needs, rarely use it as a clock.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:00 pm

Estes wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:00 pm
Comparing the menudiving on the disting with the ornament and crime I have to say the disting was a creativity killer to me. Of course its handy in many situations but my musician mind is not there. And then I would never use digital oscs in Eurorack. For digital things I'm ok with my computer.
The O&C menu is often hard to understand, in my experience. Strange abbreviations and odd naming of parameters. When got mine I had to go back to the manual quite often.

I love digital stuff in my rack, btw. :D Especially digital oscillators that will provide you with a sonic palette way, way beyond what any analogue VCO can come close to.
Somewhat unorthodox electro on my old trusty Monomachine. :boba:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMx44Gnixzw

Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:17 pm

lisa wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:00 pm
Estes wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:00 pm
Comparing the menudiving on the disting with the ornament and crime I have to say the disting was a creativity killer to me. Of course its handy in many situations but my musician mind is not there. And then I would never use digital oscs in Eurorack. For digital things I'm ok with my computer.
The O&C menu is often hard to understand, in my experience. Strange abbreviations and odd naming of parameters. When got mine I had to go back to the manual quite often.

I love digital stuff in my rack, btw. :D Especially digital oscillators that will provide you with a sonic palette way, way beyond what any analogue VCO can come close to.
Yeah well nothing against digital oscs there are quite nice designs in eurorack. It's just not the sound I'm looking for. I often have very specific sounds in my mind I'm looking for when I'm patching. Digital oscs were often distracting me of reaching this particular sound. But there are always exceptions of course. I'm super curious to try all those oscs in the microfreak...

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:17 pm

forgot to mention: Semimodular synths except the Radikal Technologies delta cep A. They don't work IMO.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”