just looking for ideas - i have created a monster!?!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Re: just looking for ideas - i have created a monster!?!

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 am

Raindeer wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:17 am

chaotic system for uncontrolled mayhem.
You can achieve this with like five modules... maybe less. It’s kind of the natural state of any modular system.
[/quote]

You are absolutely right, mayhem can be achieved with far less modules.
But I am trying to have both mayhem and structured elements at the same time,
With some other stuff in-between to help me pull this two different things together in a musical way,
And for that, I think I would need more then 5 modules.
Of cores, I might be wrong, which is why I am still planning and looking for ideas

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:49 am

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 am
Raindeer wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:17 am
tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 am
chaotic system for uncontrolled mayhem.
You can achieve this with like five modules... maybe less. It’s kind of the natural state of any modular system.
You are absolutely right, mayhem can be achieved with far less modules.
But I am trying to have both mayhem and structured elements at the same time,
With some other stuff in-between to help me pull this two different things together in a musical way,
And for that, I think I would need more then 5 modules.
Of cores, I might be wrong, which is why I am still planning and looking for ideas
Everybody has told you that you are incredibly wrong, multiple times, and you don't need this many modules to do that, but you just are not listening to them. Nothing about what you are planning is particularly unique, certainly not to the point that it requires an eight page thread (twice!!) planning it all in one go, except that you seem immune to reading anything anybody writes.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:16 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:49 am

Everybody has told you that you are incredibly wrong, multiple times, and you don't need this many modules to do that, but you just are not listening to them. Nothing about what you are planning is particularly unique, certainly not to the point that it requires an eight page thread (twice!!) planning it all in one go, except that you seem immune to reading anything anybody writes.
I did absolutely read every comment more than once,
And I don't think it's a bad thing to spend so much time on planning.
As far as having more vca's... like someone else has said,
Utilities are there to fix what should have been perfect to begin with,
If an lfo is perfect, then there is no point in slewing or attenuating it,
And I want to use modules that can give me what I want,
Without the need for 3 different modules to do one simple task.
Sorry for pissing everybody off, it really is not my intension.
And as for diving into a huge system, I did explained my reason, and I don't think that I can explain it any better

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Pelsea wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:02 pm

[*]The proposal is a bit short on utility modules. A common problem, easily put right if true. But remember, most of the "essential utilities" are designed to fix signals that should have been done right in the first place.
Could not have said it better myself

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:47 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:16 pm
This is insanely not true and I strongly disagree with the one person who told you that.
tsope wrote:
And as for diving into a huge system, I did explained my reason, and I don't think that I can explain it any better
Your explanation is basically just "I want it," but it doesn't make it a good explanation even if it's clearly what you're going to do, against the advice of almost everybody in here.

If you were even 10% serious about this as a music-making endeavor and not a show-off spectacle you would at least build something comparable in VCV Rack to see how it would roughly function before dropping 25k on it to find out.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Your explanation is basically just "I want it," but it doesn't make it a good explanation even if it's clearly what you're going to do, against the advice of almost everybody in here.
Not true, I did explained that I can't learn a small system as easily,
Obviously, I can't learn a huge system at ones,
But having a lot of modules to jump between will help me keep interested as I slowly learn a tiny bit of each module,
That is just the best way for ME to learn,
At the age of 38, I like to think I know how to engage my brain

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:02 pm

tsope wrote:
Your words or a wild inspiration obtained through Pelsea? ;)
tsope wrote:
Praise the lord of modular wisdom! ... this is gold, thanks :love: Isn't the fun of modular systems the endless possibilities and uncertainties because there is not the "perfect" module [whatever that means e.g. for a LFO (maybe black?)]. And isn't it also the fun that you have to work with the machines to to reach your goals [whatever these are]? And how do you know what the "right" module is for you by shifting them around in herds in a giant rack on Modular Grid? I don't know if you care ... but it is completely different to read about a module / watching videos or to actually use it by yourself! Only the latter will show you if you and the module fit to each other in real life. However, thanks for this thread ... serious or not! :tu:
Last edited by tdallas on Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:11 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
tsope wrote:
This is insanely not true and I strongly disagree with the one person who told you that.
this thread is wildly entertaining. suggesting a vca is there to "fix" a problem I guess is sorta like suggesting wheels on a car are there to fix the problem of the car. I suppose you could spend $200k on a car wo wheels to just have it sit there, very much like this rack will do, but hey, my hat is off to eccentricity and learning lessons the absolute most painful way possible.

but seriously, the guy that posted this doesnt understand how the symbols in a block diagram function (hint: remove triangles for best sound) so suggesting stuff is kind of a waste of time even though it sure is fun. Bottom line is that in a case that big, if you fill it out, no matter what the fuck you put in it, the average person will be able to pretty much do tons of things, you are talking about an obscene amount of modules. So stop trying to figure this out, just buy whatever looks cool to you, throw it in the case however it looks cool for the picture and then it will make sound and you'll figure out what to do with it. If you are arguing the need for utilities, surely you wont be making what most people respond to as music, but hey this is modular and you do you, buy a bunch of shit, plug cables in and sound will come out. And when you buy that much stuff, youll be able to make all kinds of sounds and youll really feel like you are getting something done and most importantly, you can bathe in the value added for your money by not wasting it on any utilities to make 600hp function. It might not be apparent but i suspect the mission you are on is to show us all. I look forward to your results and the gloating victory you will be able to hold over this thread.

We are all cheering for you dude. Lots of people said man would never go to the moon and look what happened? You dont need utilities for 600hp. Show us your vision, Im ready to be converted.

Some people look at a ferrari in their neighbors yard wo wheels as the mark of privilege and eccentricity gone wrong, but yet others look at a ferrari without wheels as a really comfortable couch. WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE.

Go buy your $20k rack dude and stop over thinking it.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm

After reading a few comments here, there are lots... May I suggest something, why dont you start with buying what you want, but in segments. That way you can learn while building.

What I have learned from the years I have been into modular is that you might have an idea of what sound sources, filters etc. You like and you are dead set on bringing your idea to life. While that might be cool and all, often it will take many iterations to find out which modules actually have that sound you like, you might even fall in love with the visual aesthetics of a module and expect it to be your dream synth, much like a relationship. The qualities you were looking for when you were 16 might not be what you want at the age of 38. I think you get my point. But by all means do what you like, no one here should tell you what is right or wrong, however I do agree in that you will most likely be overwhelmed, if you imagine patching on a basic level, yes this might be all fine and dandy, but once you dig in, a system like this is first of all unstable and it will take hours and hours to make a deep patch using all the modules. Imagine never to have driven a car before, and someone tells you to turn on the parking lights, not the normal lights. no one would be able to do that before getting used to the controls, and then you find out after 3 years that your car have automatic parking lights.

For me it took 14 years to finish my system, and I sold everything I started with except one module, that was my first VCO, I found that this was actually by pure luck my favorite, I thought that having more stable VCO's would be great, I bought some, nah they sounded like S**T to me, even if they were highly praised here on the forum. Then I thought, yeah well, ok, let me try some digital, maybe that would be cool, nah, not for me. Then I thought, yeah, wavetables is the top, nah... and imagine this going on and on with envelopes, filters, LFO's sequencers, you name it.

I am 99% sure you will not be happy with your system as it is now, in 1 year. new modules enter the marked, and you want to try them out to hear what the fuss is about.

Sadly I can no longer see your rack, but I did see it some days ago.

Do what you want is basically what I am saying, it's a process and you will get there in the end, I think people here is trying to help you avoid the pitfalls we have all fallen into, and wasting your money.

Best of luck

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:35 pm

transistorresistor wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:11 pm

this thread is wildly entertaining. suggesting a vca is there to "fix" a problem I guess is sorta like suggesting wheels on a car are there to fix the problem of the car.
Well... if we had flaying cars by now we wouldn't need any wheels :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:38 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:59 pm
Skelecaster wrote:

Not true, I did explained that I can't learn a small system as easily,
Obviously, I can't learn a huge system at ones,
But having a lot of modules to jump between will help me keep interested as I slowly learn a tiny bit of each module,
That is just the best way for ME to learn,
At the age of 38, I like to think I know how to engage my brain
what is the smallest amount of modules you need to jump between before it becomes interesting to you lol, what an absurd statement, but whatever, you're clearly dead set on this and are either going to realize in three months time that you need to replace half of it or that you just want to sell the whole thing.

There is simply no amount of planning that can create a rack this size from nothing that functions the way you want. It is literally impossible. No matter how much effort you put in, you will always find something you wish you had more of, something that you don't like, something you don't have that you didn't think you needed that now you wish you did have, you name it. You are attempting an impossible task. Like trying to list out every book you need to open a library, as soon as it starts being used you're going to find out whatever you wrote down wasn't right.

You will always be learning about every module, there is no 'end game' where you 'know it all,' there are too many endless permutations even with something as small as a 7U. (You also ignored 2/3rds of the last post)

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:39 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:35 pm
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:11 pm

this thread is wildly entertaining. suggesting a vca is there to "fix" a problem I guess is sorta like suggesting wheels on a car are there to fix the problem of the car.
Well... if we had flaying cars by now we wouldn't need any wheels :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
clearly you would need to remove the wings from a flying car in order for it to function as a couch. this is the whole point of modular.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:40 pm

acidbob wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm

Best of luck
That is because I am working on a new one
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1510331

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm

tdallas wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:02 pm
tsope wrote:
Your words or a wild inspiration obtained through Pelsea? ;)
tsope wrote:
Praise the lord of modular wisdom! ... this is gold, thanks :love: Isn't the fun of modular systems the endless possibilities and uncertainties because there is not the "perfect" module [whatever that means e.g. for a LFO (maybe black?)].
I have 336hp of just LFOs, each one outputs at a different depth, because attenuating things is just for signals that were imperfect to begin with.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:47 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:20 pm
Pelsea wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:02 pm

[*]The proposal is a bit short on utility modules. A common problem, easily put right if true. But remember, most of the "essential utilities" are designed to fix signals that should have been done right in the first place.
Could not have said it better myself
Except that Pelsea's comment is an argument for more utilities, not fewer or none.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:53 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:40 pm
Yes! Four uO_C next to two ADDAC207 Intuitive Quantizer. That's the spirit! The perfect LFO can come and he will looooove this combination :tu:

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:55 pm

gonkulator wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:47 pm

Except that Pelsea's comment is an argument for more utilities, not fewer or none.
What the hack were you reading?
My system, a bit larger than the one under discussion has very few utilities and they are seldom used.
Pelsea's words, not mine

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:58 pm

tdallas wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:53 pm

Yes! Four uO_C next to two ADDAC207 Intuitive Quantizer. That's the spirit! The perfect LFO can come and he will looooove this combination :tu:
+ RND STEP by DivKid, that is what I call controlled mayhem :sb:

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:08 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:40 pm
acidbob wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm

Best of luck
How will you fit your Joranalogues in the second row? They are currently overlapping each other.

Also, only one Mimeophon now, sacrilegious! What happened there? ;)

Also, you dumped the 2 Happy Nerding 3xVCAs I suggested, why? I thought you were finally going in the right direction!

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:08 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:55 pm
gonkulator wrote:
My system, a bit larger than the one under discussion has very few utilities and they are seldom used.
Pelsea's words, not mine
Sorry if I'm wrong ... but from what I have read here on MW wiggler Pelsea is modulating his gear also from external machines (MAX -> MIDI). But with four uO_C you are in any case on the safe side! Don't listen to all those envious guys ...

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:11 pm

OP will change everything about this cursed system for months on end, except for even giving 30 minutes as a thought experiment to imagine it as a managable 7U case.

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:13 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:55 pm
gonkulator wrote:

Pelsea's words, not mine
PEOPLE.

Stop arguing with this gentleman.

He wants a 10v sine wave for modulation AT ALL TIMES.

post after post after post after post he has reaffirmed his conviction. At some point we must accept the style manual he's presenting.

WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE?

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:20 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:11 pm
OP will change everything about this cursed system for months on end, except for even giving 30 minutes as a thought experiment to imagine it as a managable 7U case.
Don't think about the future of this system :tu: it unfolds its beauty right now before our eyes. You just have to let it happen ... join join join join
join.png
join.png (102.1 KiB) Viewed 120 times

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:23 pm

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:13 pm

The Quad LFO has level control, i also have 4x Cascade's in there which are attenuverter/mixer/offset,
So a total of 12 channels + 2x Plancks II (Mutable Instruments Frames)
That's enough control I reckon

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:26 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:23 pm
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:13 pm

The Quad LFO has level control, i also have 4x Cascade's in there which are attenuverter/mixer/offset,
So a total of 12 channels + 2x Plancks II (Mutable Instruments Frames)
That's enough control I reckon
have you considered replacing those modules for ones without attenuation so you dont spoil the purity of the signal? Just being frank, if you have 12 channels of control like that, your final output might sound kinda "fixed" which all your previous posts most certainly raged against. just sayin.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”