just looking for ideas - i have created a monster!?!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Re: just looking for ideas - i have created a monster!?!

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:46 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:10 pm
Fog Door wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:48 pm
WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE?
I totally agree with your sentiment, but OP did ask to be judged (twice).

Asking for advice and then arrogantly ignoring it, is just the height of bad manners.
Nah, it isn't. At this point, it's probably just trolling.
If he’s trolling, it’s one of the better trolls I’ve seen! 221 replies worth.

Lux A Turner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:50 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:31 pm
Lux A Turner wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:25 pm
tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:08 pm
btw, Modular Jam is awesome. love it's soundscape
Thank you. All from 6U 104HP.
show off :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
That wasn't the intention :sad:

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Lux A Turner wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:50 pm
tsope wrote:
Lux A Turner wrote:
tsope wrote:
I was clearly joking, it a great track, and the sound in it is bang on, the highs are clear and super wide,
the bass has a ton of presence... clearly, you know how to mix and process your sound.
great job :yay:

Lux A Turner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:07 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:23 pm
Lux A Turner wrote:

Sorry, but Marbles is the King of Controlled Mayhem.

You need one in each corner. At least.
I have tried marbles on vcv rack and really didn't like it, maybe in real life it's much batter,
But the o&c has a turing machine in it if i'll want more randomness.
Could be that i'll be missing out,
But... with the Stochastic Inspiration Generator, RND STEP, VC Stochastic Function Generator and STEPS...
I think it's already a ton of randomness for one system :hihi:
I didn't like Marbles either, the first time I tried it in VCV - really hated it, in fact. But I couldn't believe it was really that bad, so I tried it again and then again, and then I started to like it. I continued to play with it in VCV and grew to love it. It's basically a Turing Machine with three sets of outputs and some extra features. It can make little tunes, control modulations, create drum patterns, be a master clock or a clock divider / multiplier - there's so much it can do and I've only just begun to scratch the surface.

My Rack - v1.0

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:23 pm

Lux A Turner wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:07 pm

I didn't like Marbles either, the first time I tried it in VCV - really hated it, in fact. But I couldn't believe it was really that bad, so I tried it again and then again, and then I started to like it. I continued to play with it in VCV and grew to love it. It's basically a Turing Machine with three sets of outputs and some extra features. It can make little tunes, control modulations, create drum patterns, be a master clock or a clock divider / multiplier - there's so much it can do and I've only just begun to scratch the surface.
Ok, i am convinced, i'll re install vcv rack and give it a few more tries,
Worst case, i'll need to reconfigure my case AGAIN,
Or maybe i'll just add one more row and forget about the mobile case idea,
It will solve alot of my problems, and then, after i'll learn a few things,
i could buy more of my obsolete favorite modules for a traveling case :doh: :help: :bang:

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:37 pm

tsope wrote:
I had a company were I basically worked for big dj's...
All the top DJs made the trek to Israel to work with you, eh? You've worked with Deadmaus, Skrillex, Steve Aoki, Armin van Buuren, Paul Oakenfold, and even Aphex Twin, I am guessing.

Note: the only DJs I listed that I personally even care about are Aphex Twin and Paul Oakenfold to a lesser extent. But maybe the ones I listed are passé now, who knows. I have been out of the loop with the top DJs since about the late 90s...I have about a decade on the OP.
Or maybe i'll just add one more row and forget about the mobile case idea
First, you understand that NOTHING about your proposed case right now is mobile.
Second, I thought the whole point of having a "mobile case" that massive was to show off to your buddy who has been doing modular for years...I mean, to jam with your buddy. Maybe instead he can bring his puny little modular rig to your mansion to jam with you...I mean, to feel emasculated by your obvious gun analogy/symbolism.
Last edited by Peng33 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lux A Turner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:41 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:05 pm
Lux A Turner wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:50 pm
tsope wrote:
Lux A Turner wrote:
tsope wrote:
I was clearly joking, it a great track, and the sound in it is bang on, the highs are clear and super wide,
the bass has a ton of presence... clearly, you know how to mix and process your sound.
great job :yay:
You're too kind.
  • The bass / drum is just uGrids in Euclidean mode, playing two drum sounds from a Pico Drum. The extra 'grit' and tonality came from sending the Pico through the Recovery Effects Cutting Room Floor. Extra rhythmic complexity added by turning up the Blend control on the CRF to increase the amount of delay from that module. The track was switched on and off with a DivKid Mutes channel.
  • The background chords are some electric piano samples, played in Morphagene with a really small gene size and the Morph control set quite high. The "twinkle" sounds were created by pushing the Morph control to maximum with an envelope from Zadar, triggered about once every 16 (or was it 32?) bars. The Morphagene output was sent through the Vult Freak in one of the 'Nurage' modes, then out to the FX Aid set to a ping-pong delay. Fading in and out was done with the Morphagene 'SOS' control.
  • The 'lead piano' sound is the Aux output of the bass drum mode in Beehive (Plaits clone), tuned high, with the Morph control also quite high and sent through the Tiptop Z5000 in shimmer reverb mode - via a DivKid Mutes channel, to switch it in and out, so it didn't collide with the "twinkles" from the Morphagene.
The chord sequence and the lead part were played by Marbles - both at random.

Just three tracks, one stereo and two mono, 'mixed' in the Doepfer A-138s and recorded direct onto a Zoom H2. Noise reduction and normalisation applied in Audacity, with a few bars of drums cut from the beginning. It took a few goes to get right - the released version is Take 18.

I never set out to make a track that afternoon. It was just a wiggle - some fun experimentation, that became a patch, which I decided was worth recording. I share these things, in the hope it will encourage others to do the same and to show that you don't need a massive system, to make a fun little tune.

My Rack - v1.0

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:37 pm
tsope wrote:
I had a company were I basically worked for big dj's...
All the top DJs made the trek to Israel to work with you, eh? You've worked with Deadmaus, Skrillex, Steve Aoki, Armin van Buuren, Paul Oakenfold, and even Aphex Twin, I am guessing.

Note: the only DJs I listed that I personally even care about are Aphex Twin and Paul Oakenfold to a lesser extent. But maybe the ones I listed are passé now, who knows. I have been out of the loop with the top DJs since about the late 90s...I have about a decade on the OP.
Actually, Armin van Buuren worked on my nexo alpha's twice as I bought the first system of alpha's in Israel.
I miss my hairy alpha's :cry:

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:55 pm

Lux A Turner wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:41 pm
The 'lead piano' sound is the Aux output of the bass drum mode in Beehive (Plaits clone), tuned high, with the Morph control also quite high
waaaaaa, i didn't know it can do that...

great :mad: now i have more gas, after i have convinced myself that i have no need for plaits :hihi:

htor
Veteran Wiggler

Re: judge my system - i have created a monster!?!

Post by htor » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 pm
tsope wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:25 pm

as for mixing, i don't intend on using it all at the same time as it will obviously be too much,
but i do have a huge 32 ch mixer, so mixing it won't be a problem.

That kind of mixer is not at all what the commenter was suggesting. A well balanced modular synth needs several small, simple mixer modules [...]
Look at the front panel of an Arp 2600 as an example of a well balanced synth design. It's a simple synth with three oscs, one filter, one VCA, two EGS. But it is extremely versatile and inspiring to use because it has lots and lots of small mixers for CV inputs and audio inputs all over the synth.
dave peck, spot on as always. i often overlook mixers and their utility.

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:06 pm

The second version (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1510331) of the rack seems to have incorporated some of the feedback and I think it looks usable. It even appears to use obtainable modules, though still feels short on VCAs.

OP, this is a long post about my personal eurorack history but I am pretty similar to you in wanting to plan out a full system before starting and preferring to learn by jumping around between many different modules/learning the full system as one so maybe it will be useful. I have also tried and did not care for VCV rack even though a lot of my favorite modules are available on it.

When I first became interested in modular synths (2016), I spent 4-6 months obsessively reading manuals, MW, watching YouTube videos, and planning my system on MG. I wanted to develop a full plan for my system before buying any modules so that I didn't have to buy multiple cases, which just seemed wasteful.

Eventually, I settled on a plan and ordered a 360hp case and about 130hp of modules (almost all Mutable Instruments due to a great sale that happened to come up).

Everything showed up and I got to work figuring out how to use it. The very first thing I discovered was that I was not a fan of using my DAW + Yarns to control my oscillators. In fact, I wasn't really interested in doing much of anything on the computer other than recording and light mixing. This meant that I had to redesign my plan because I had initially wanted a Metropolis but now I was interested in sequencing multiple voices. After a few months, my new plan was ready and I filled up the rest of my case in about a month.

As soon as the rack was full, I knew that I needed more modules to achieve my goal of making full songs on my modular in the way I like to work. Plenty of people make much better music on much smaller systems and I am absolutely not in any way suggesting that a large system is a requirement for making full songs.

After several months of having a full case, I enjoyed using my system but knew that I would need it to be at least twice the size and couldn't afford to expand. I had also learned a lot about how I liked to patch and the kinds of modules that interest me and wanted to change out probably about half of my modules.

Last year, I decided to start a new system. I used what I had learned from my first system to come up with a plan and got to ordering modules. It wasn't long before I found that I was still way off on my plan and ended up adjusting it after every order. I'm now only a few modules away from filling all of my cases and am quite happy with how it has turned out. I ended up with a Metropolis and Metropolix and will eventually resell the Metropolis and replace it with some other modules but there's nothing that I actually feel I need at this point and expect to take several months to figure out what it should be replaced with because I have my dream large system with lots of interesting modules to explore.

Based on my experience, I strongly encourage you to start with half of your planned system. This will hopefully satisfy your desire to start experimenting with a large number of modules while keeping your options open in case you do end up wanting to change your plan or find that you don't care for some of the modules. I actually think you should start your first order with a quarter of the system but I don't think that's realistic to ask of you from reading this thread.

Another suggestion is that since you are already thinking about an overflow case, maybe you should start by filling that with single copies of the modules that most interest you. The Intellijel Palette series of cases make for fantastic sequencer/controller cases to place in front of your main case and would provide a good way to test new modules that interest you before you buy 4.

Some people have suggested that the Doepfer monster case isn't portable, I would recommend that they should watch this video:

Whatever you end up doing OP, I hope you will keep us informed and share some of your music with us because this thread has been a fun read.

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:09 pm

tsope is cool, be nice 👍

I mean it. Some people think different than you.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:28 pm

Pelsea wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:02 pm

[*]The proposal is a bit short on utility modules.
That is, your proposed system
Pelsea wrote:

[*]My system, a bit larger than the one under discussion has very few utilities and they are seldom used.
His system, not yours.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:47 pm

AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:06 pm

Some people have suggested that the Doepfer monster case isn't portable,

Whatever you end up doing OP, I hope you will keep us informed and share some of your music with us because this thread has been a fun read.

Thank you so much,
one of the reasons i want the monster case is that i can always add the monster base, that is my expansion plan,
And yes, as a lighting guy i have carried a lot of heavy cases,
So even if my case will end up at 40kg (which i highly doubt it will) i could carry it with no problem.
I am still planning and in no rush to pull the trigger yet,
And i'll go for it only if i'll be relatively sure,
If i won't, then i'll start with the monster base first,
But for now i'll keep trying to plan it at one go, there is always the option of down scaling,
But i haven't given up yet.

The thing is, that i am actually will be very happy if the system won't work as i plan,
As it might throw at an unexpected path.
And yes, i know that any eurorack system would surprise me, even a small one.

Still planning though, and as i said before,
worst case, some of my friend will get a very expensive birthday present :hihi:

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:57 pm

gonkulator wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:28 pm
Pelsea wrote:

[*]The proposal is a bit short on utility modules.
That is, your proposed system
Pelsea wrote:

[*]My system, a bit larger than the one under discussion has very few utilities and they are seldom used.
His system, not yours.
and?
he did say that he got a bigger system with very few utilities and they are seldom used,
which was my point all along, if you have great modules you don't need a lot of utilities.

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:10 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:57 pm
he did say that he got a bigger system with very few utilities and they are seldom used,
which was my point all along, if you have great modules you don't need a lot of utilities.
One person has said this, everyone else has disagreed and said it's not true.
tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:47 pm
The thing is, that i am actually will be very happy if the system won't work as i plan,
As it might throw at an unexpected path.
And yes, i know that any eurorack system would surprise me, even a small one.

Still planning though, and as i said before,
worst case, some of my friend will get a very expensive birthday present :hihi:
just stop posting and buy it already then, since money is no object for you or whatever

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:17 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:10 pm

it only takes one men to start a revolution.
besides, what is the point of going modular and than going thru the normal path?

viva la resistance :headbang:

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:20 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:17 pm
Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:10 pm

besides, what is the point of going modular and than going thru the normal path?

viva la resistance :headbang:
because the other path is stupid, nobody wants to hear 10V LFOs modulating every parameter at maximum capacity. When you say this you sound like you don't know what utilities are or what they do.

This isn't you saying "I don't want to just patch VCO -> VCF -> OUT, that's the normal way, I want something exciting" this is everyone telling you "don't eat that soup with a fork" and you saying "but I work in lighting."

Sometimes when everybody is saying something, it's interesting to try what isn't being talked about. This is not one of those times, I promise you.

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 pm

There are infinite variables . Time = money x offspring.
I was told i was going to die yet i am still alive.

Tsope is cool because he has not lashed back at the insults thrown at him.
People . Welcome this man with open arms. He is obviously excited to take the plunge😎

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:52 pm

Skelecaster wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:20 pm

because the other path is stupid, nobody wants to hear 10V LFOs modulating every parameter at maximum capacity. When you say this you sound like you don't know what utilities are or what they do.
again with the 10v lfo's modulations?
i have already answered that, the quad lfo has a level control,
and i do have attenuverters/mixers/offset generators in my system,
i just don't want to have 3 modules just to animate one stupid parameter,
so no, i don't want to use vca's to control my modulations.
there are other ways to control modulations, and there are a ton of ways to make thing more interesting
you say that i don't read people comments, but apparently you haven't read mine.

Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:56 pm

milkyjoe wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 pm
People . Welcome this man with open arms. He is obviously excited to take the plunge😎
He should just do it then instead of continuously asking for advice, ignoring half of it, and fighting the other half.

Learn it the tough and expensive way, place a giant order on perfectcircuit and lets see this monstrosity come together in real life like a slow motion train wreck as OP realizes he has a 12U case with 70% of five or six partial modular setups but nothing cohesive enough to actually work well. Lets see it happen. I can't wait.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:06 pm

milkyjoe wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 pm
There are infinite variables . Time = money x offspring.
I was told i was going to die yet i am still alive.

Tsope is cool because he has not lashed back at the insults thrown at him.
thanks men, i really try as hard as i can, some people here...
the first comment was that i got no sequencers and no Quantizers :doh:
and people keep saying the same thing over and over even after i said that this is not what i want,
and even went as far as explaining all of my psychological problems,
yesterday i want to sleep early because this thread has depressed me so much,
i really didn't want to come back again, but lucky i did,
as some of the comments today was so positive it gave me strength again,
i know i shouldn't care about haters, but i do, i care too much, that is one of my many pitfalls.

can't wait to wiggle :hyper:

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 pm

Go for it! It doesn't make any sense to me but who cares. Life is short. Do your thing.

One suggestion - instead of buying two clones of Frames, buy one original full size Frames so that you can support Emilie. Put it in the middle if it messes with your visual sense. Or if you insist on buying the clones because they come in black, also buy something from Mutable (not a clone) and put it in a drawer or give it away to someone (since you've got the cash). Trust me, you'll feel better.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:42 pm

hinterlands303 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 pm
Go for it! It doesn't make any sense to me but who cares. Life is short. Do your thing.

One suggestion - instead of buying two clones of Frames, buy one original full size Frames so that you can support Emilie. Put it in the middle if it messes with your visual sense. Or if you insist on buying the clones because they come in black, also buy something from Mutable (not a clone) and put it in a drawer or give it away to someone (since you've got the cash). Trust me, you'll feel better.
i went with the clones for the size, color is not the reason,
i do want 2 original Streams, but no space, iam really trying not to go 15u,
but i guess that would be the only solution in the end,
so damn hard to pick from so many great modules

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:49 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:17 pm
Thats the spirit man, we are all here to watch you lead the revolution. 600HP, no utilities, LETS DO THIS.

Only question now is why are you waiting? This thread is just gonna be filled with people not understanding the potential brilliance of your lead here. Buy your dream synth now, dont delay, youve already had your opinion swayed by internet sage's in this thread, the longer you delay, the longer you stand to risk the purity of your vision to people who insist on using VCA's in a modular setup.

Anyway, its only like $20k or so, its not like its some giant amount of money, sometimes ya just gotta treat yourself.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”