Frequency Central appreciation thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Re: Frequency Central appreciation thread

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:22 pm

I have the Little Melody, it’s fun.
here hare here!

the_laconic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by the_laconic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 pm

Just discovered them this week and ordered an XVCO2 kit from Synthcube. Really looking forward to it.

dmod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmod » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm

Still love my xfilter and ASDR from them. .

Morim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Morim » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm

My first module was a DIY FC Product, and it sounds very nice. Some minor issues with the noise ciruit, but otherwise a nice piece :D

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:16 pm

I have a product (slightly semi-moduler synth voice) that I love, I even found space for it my live case. It’s great to have some hands-on predictability that one can grow into and really learn.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:43 pm

Bignorthumbrian wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:22 pm
I have the Little Melody, it’s fun.
I got the PCB/panel a couple weeks ago, only to discover I didn't have the sliders for it, and had to sell a kidney to procure 4 of them so I can eventually make one soon. It looks hella fun!
Instagram | Soundcloud | MG Main Rack 6U+6U

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:44 pm

henrry wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:09 am
Hi people.
I'm planning to get Seismograf BD and SD kits and was wondering what's the latency and noise with those modules? Basically are they less noisy and faster than Radio music and Proc modules?
Latency? I've not built mine yet, but I'd be surprised if there any was any significant latency. Noise?

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:49 pm

Someday, I will pull the trigger on an FC Meth Amp.

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm

DJMaytag wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:44 pm
henrry wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:09 am
Hi people.
I'm planning to get Seismograf BD and SD kits and was wondering what's the latency and noise with those modules? Basically are they less noisy and faster than Radio music and Proc modules?
Latency? I've not built mine yet, but I'd be surprised if there any was any significant latency. Noise?
Yes, I happened to experience some noise out of one Radio Music (bad build, power supply not supporting patch on two cases, native problem?) and people speak of ways/hacks to reduce noise on their Proc modules. Both latency and noise issues are the reason why I'm not wanting to get any of these modules.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:30 pm

henrry wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm
Yes, I happened to experience some noise out of one Radio Music (bad build, power supply not supporting patch on two cases, native problem?) and people speak of ways/hacks to reduce noise on their Proc modules. Both latency and noise issues are the reason why I'm not wanting to get any of these modules.
Is it just the Radio Music & Prok modules that have had issues you've experienced, or did this happen on some FC modules you've used?

I'll have to build mine this weekend then. I know they're sample based modules, so I guess there could be something going on with the IC's that the samples are on, but that would be very odd. I've got a bunch of FC modules with custom IC's running their modules, and have never noticed any issues.

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:13 pm

I don't own any Frequency Central yet, but Logic Bomb looks super fun and unique. Anyone tried it yet?

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:29 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:19 am
Recently began FC DIYs as some of my first kits. Enjoying them! At the risk of hijacking this thread, if anyone had a CEMosc can I ask if these two capacitors are this way round on their build?! I don’t think this matches the pcb!

Edit: yes, they are backwards on the pcb, correct on the build pictures. After a near disastrous half hour of desoldering my 6yo is now playing it!

6F48B4C0-1CF6-4210-BD6E-C520D1502A9A.jpeg
Those aren't polarized though. Did changing orientation make a difference in how the module functioned?

Also, big fan of FCUK. Pocket Calculator was my first, nice clock divider. Have also built Polygraf, Cryptograf, and Methamp. Have a factory-built Device. All are solid modules. I should build more!

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:04 am

I built a CEMvelope and a CEMosc, and they both were nice builds with no drama, and the modules have worked as expected, at what seemed to be the most features compared to others at that price point (this was a year or two ago.) I wish they had some more imaginative or unique features, perhaps.

(I also built and use a Vogue VCA/VCF which is fine as far as it goes: I don't love the sound but I do like having the added VCA to save patch cord spaghetti. In fact, I am toying with the idea that every module I make would have a dedicated VCA, perhaps switchable to either on the input or the output.)

Rick (not the FC one)

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:11 am

DCDanno wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:29 pm
Kawouddd wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:19 am
Recently began FC DIYs as some of my first kits. Enjoying them! At the risk of hijacking this thread, if anyone had a CEMosc can I ask if these two capacitors are this way round on their build?! I don’t think this matches the pcb!

Edit: yes, they are backwards on the pcb, correct on the build pictures. After a near disastrous half hour of desoldering my 6yo is now playing it!

6F48B4C0-1CF6-4210-BD6E-C520D1502A9A.jpeg
Those aren't polarized though. Did changing orientation make a difference in how the module functioned?

Also, big fan of FCUK. Pocket Calculator was my first, nice clock divider. Have also built Polygraf, Cryptograf, and Methamp. Have a factory-built Device. All are solid modules. I should build more!
Not the wrong orientation, which value goes where 👍 Unless I’ve been misreading the PCB (and I repeatedly checked), these were in the wrong places. Yes, swapping them around worked!

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:19 am

Whiteface. My favourite of five (?) builds so far. Wave runner looks like it does some interesting but relatively chaotic things, from a DATA of it.

InvictusHF
Learning to Wiggle

Post by InvictusHF » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:01 am

Recent acquired a Seismograf BD and really like it so far, would love an update version with a decay control tho!

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 am

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:11 am
Not the wrong orientation, which value goes where 👍 Unless I’ve been misreading the PCB (and I repeatedly checked), these were in the wrong places. Yes, swapping them around worked!
Oops, my bad. I misunderstood your post. Glad to hear the fix worked. Desoldering is a bear.

040B
Common Wiggler

Post by 040B » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 am

I have several of their modules they are some of the easiest builds around. Their communication and customer service is very good.

I’ve built so far:
Methamp (barely use that one)
Stasys leak
Seismograf BD & SD
Volts Platz. This one I use the most.

Little Melody seems like fun and I think I might eventually build that one.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:54 am

ricko wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:04 am
I also built and use a Vogue VCA/VCF which is fine as far as it goes: I don't love the sound but I do like having the added VCA to save patch cord spaghetti. In fact, I am toying with the idea that every module I make would have a dedicated VCA, perhaps switchable to either on the input or the output.
You should check out Arley Dynamics. It's essentially a CEMvelope with an integrated VCA in 6 HP. Uses all tall trimmers, so it's a bit easier to tweak than standard alpha pots w/ Davies 1900 knobs.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am

040B wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 am
I have several of their modules they are some of the easiest builds around. Their communication and customer service is very good.
Honestly, as a new DIYer, this has almost been a bit of an issue for me. Their kits are utterly clear, labelled, bagged and spelled out. The holes for the through hole are generously sized. There isn’t much manoeuvring, cutting, tweaking or bodging needed.

Apart from the capacitor issue above, the kits were almost too straightforward. I wanted a learning curve, and felt that too few things went wrong with these builds 😂

Actually, one area where they’ve been particularly fantastic is with filling a couple of subsequent BOMs - the links they provide in their BOMs have greatly helped in identifying / narrowing down appropriate components when the provided specs (on other BOMs) are sparse.

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am

DJMaytag wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:54 am
You should check out Arley Dynamics. It's essentially a CEMvelope with an integrated VCA in 6 HP. Uses all tall trimmers, so it's a bit easier to tweak than standard alpha pots w/ Davies 1900 knobs.
Yes. And the big thing it does right is having a gain CV on it, which is a way to get dynamics.

Rick

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:02 am

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am
Honestly, as a new DIYer, this has almost been a bit of an issue for me. Their kits are utterly clear, labelled, bagged and spelled out. The holes for the through hole are generously sized. There isn’t much manoeuvring, cutting, tweaking or bodging needed.
Try jumping from doing a few of these to some Random Source modules. :-O

I had a couple issues with my first VCFQ build, so I thought, and I thought maybe I'd not soldered it very well. Those R*S pads are nice quality material, but they are TINY, in comparison to the pads on FC stuff. Anyway, it turns out the odd behavior I was seeing was the same on a VCFQ on display at Modular Addict, back when they had a storefront.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:14 am

DJMaytag wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:02 am
Try jumping from doing a few of these to some Random Source modules. :-O
It is very likely - VERY likely - that I will!

Are they much smaller than Bastl? A scout of pcb images looked similar. Eg here.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:14 am
It is very likely - VERY likely - that I will!

Are they much smaller than Bastl? A scout of pcb images looked similar. Eg here.
I'd say they are similarly small. I've only built an OG Skis from them thus far. The good news is that I built both a VCFQ and Haible Dual Wasp fairly early on, so basically a rookie at the time. It's doable, but you need to be patient.

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:17 pm

DJMaytag wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:30 pm
henrry wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm
Is it just the Radio Music & Prok modules that have had issues you've experienced, or did this happen on some FC modules you've used?

I'll have to build mine this weekend then. I know they're sample based modules, so I guess there could be something going on with the IC's that the samples are on, but that would be very odd. I've got a bunch of FC modules with custom IC's running their modules, and have never noticed any issues.
I've never owned any FC module. The issues are just with Radio Music & Prok modules.
Those modules use a Teensy and a SD card. So as the Seismogrof only relies on ICs (as it seems) they might be faster I guess.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”