Endorphin.es Compressor module: GOLDEN MASTER

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Endorphin.es Compressor module: GOLDEN MASTER

Post by kingsmore » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:57 pm

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/endorphin ... -processor

was just looking for something specific like this....have been using the milky way compressor almost exclusively...stoked on this as a dedicated module

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Endorphin.es Compressor module: GOLDEN MASTER

Post by chaosick » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:06 pm

kingsmore wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:57 pm
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/endorphin ... -processor

was just looking for something specific like this....have been using the milky way compressor almost exclusively...stoked on this as a dedicated module
It's weird it looks stereo but they don't explicitly say it is?

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:11 pm

Julia uses a TC Finalizer Express in her live setup and this looks like a euro version of the multiband/emphasis section of that unit. Definitely interested but need to see a more detailed description of how it functions, particularly the Mode switch. Wondering if it will have some preset ratios and things like the Finalizer's matrix.

It says it does mid/side processing so I'm assuming it must be stereo.

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Just take a look at the front panel. It’s all right there.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 am

Weird that there's no dedicated page available on their site yet.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:08 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 am
Weird that there's no dedicated page available on their site yet.
ya i know....but i did see their insta have a coming soon on the sequencer and master modules

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm

Ooh, this looks promising. I recall there being some noise issues on some of their 6 HP modules, any idea if that'll carry over to this?
It's done!
...probably! Ahhh, who am I kidding...

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:32 pm

Definitely intresting. I've been in the market for compressors for a ton of time and only an autodyne satisfied part of my needs. Will watch closely, waiting for demos
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:04 am

It does seem interesting, though i'd rather use it as a kind of bus-compressor rather than after my mixer.

I'm not sure about the 1.5 ms lookahead latency. Not much by itself, but add that to DAW post processing latencies and it might get annoying?

96Khz 16 bit is a bit of a strange choice, seeing that headroom and dynamic range are related to bit depth rather than sampling frequency. But that's probably a result or limitation of the used chip.

Also, it didn't sound great. Not very transparent at all. But the demo material is pretty limited, so i could be wrong.

I was planning to get a WMD MSCL, might wait a bit to hear some more examples

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:44 am

Black_Materia wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:04 am
It does seem interesting, though i'd rather use it as a kind of bus-compressor rather than after my mixer.

I'm not sure about the 1.5 ms lookahead latency. Not much by itself, but add that to DAW post processing latencies and it might get annoying?

96Khz 16 bit is a bit of a strange choice
ya bus compressor after joranalogue morph 4 is how im using it (picked it up at PC recent) and the morph 4 has an AB/BC outputs as groups/buses...

I have really been wondering about the 16 bit choice tbh in a lot of Euro stuff. I mean I can imagine some of the limitations and difficulties hardware wise...but like my squid salalalalaampalale records/stores 16 bit. And it sounds great and when complete in a mix so nbd it shouldn't bother me...I guess I just want to play a high quality vocal sample and 4 bit trash, but maybe that's expected from different hardware

Anyway....I started this post so I'll update my progress...phone video/audio recording quality so don't get excited:

Currently working on a YouTube video..."Endorphin espania...any of it worth 6HP?"

I really like the modules and have stuck with a few including Milky Way despite some real issues. That being said...I did see recently on their instagram replying to a comment that "the noise in MW modules has been fixed for a year"....and I thought.....not really

Soooooo....Im gonna test them...together and separate and see how I feel about them. Golden Master is a hit in my rack so far though...and not that you should have to buy a module to fix another module....but it seems with MW in the chain to GM im having

and if you have analog oscillators and aren't liking your tuning options, I HIGHLY recommend the 'AUTOPILOT'

eddh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eddh » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 pm

I'm trying the module for a few days now and at the moment I'm having it on the master channel of my live rack. My subjective perception is, that it cuts off a quite few of signal information (low end and mid depth gradiation) and shapes the sound in a very special way. So my main question at the moment is: what's the best use case for this module? I'd say for recording it's not very useful especially on the master channel, or maybe its better to use it for bus glueing? But in the case of live performances: could it maybe saves ones ass, by cutting out the "unuseful Stuff", that a club P.A. usually doesn't translate? I've got no chance to try it loud and/or live in a club, but maybe someone could handle a qualified measurement and statement?

hkyler01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hkyler01 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 pm

eddh wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 pm
I'm trying the module for a few days now and at the moment I'm having it on the master channel of my live rack. My subjective perception is, that it cuts off a quite few of signal information (low end and mid depth gradiation) and shapes the sound in a very special way. So my main question at the moment is: what's the best use case for this module? I'd say for recording it's not very useful especially on the master channel, or maybe its better to use it for bus glueing? But in the case of live performances: could it maybe saves ones ass, by cutting out the "unuseful Stuff", that a club P.A. usually doesn't translate? I've got no chance to try it loud and/or live in a club, but maybe someone could handle a qualified measurement and statement?
My first impression is that its more of a live performance tool as well. Definitely noisy and likely wont use in the studio. However I can definitely see its sound design potential. It would be great if it did in fact cut unnecessary stuff in a club setting. Still useful being able to sculpt your sound on the fly no matter the setting. Wish it was a little cleaner but its likely intentional and part of its character.

D-Struct
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D-Struct » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:38 am

It’s too noisy to use for a performance system, IE hooked into PA mains. Found it to be mostly degrading to sound quality and raising the noise floor. Tried a lot of settings, routing and gain staging in different ways. Not cutting it for me. Might work great for other folks.

PS - Milkyway is still quite noisy too.

hkyler01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hkyler01 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:13 pm

Yeah thats a real bummer.

aandreari
Common Wiggler

Post by aandreari » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 pm

16bit compressor, i really don't get the point of this module. it's not even cheap, Boss late 90's pedals used the same converters. it will be sold out annyway since it is endorphine, that really proove how this market is so fucking broken.

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 pm

aandreari wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 pm
16bit compressor, i really don't get the point of this module. it's not even cheap, Boss late 90's pedals used the same converters. it will be sold out annyway since it is endorphine, that really proove how this market is so fucking broken.
kinda like it tbh

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:57 pm

hkyler01 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 pm

Still useful being able to sculpt your sound on the fly no matter the setting. Wish it was a little cleaner but its likely intentional and part of its character.
i have left it real early in a chain from a bus to a long list so maybe im not getting much noise...ill try direct to be sure, thx!

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 pm

Mine arrived today, but I only had about an hour or two to mess with it so far.

Initial impressions, I did notice some noise, but nothing I would describe as unusable, and it mostly disappears with more conservative settings. It seemed to me that the Mid/Side mode was the main culprit, but I need some more testing. I wasn't particularly impressed with those settings either so far compared to my Lrmsmslr, it seems to narrow the width as expected but nothing seemed to make the signal any wider than normal.

The eq and compressor operate pretty much as expected, though the compression does something to the sound pressure that I found really fatiguing with my headphones (akg k702). Could just need to mess with the settings more. I have high hopes for this thing so I'm hoping I can dial it in to my liking with some more tweaking. To recreate what it does with other modules would require about quadruple the cost and real estate.

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:43 am

target_destroyed wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 pm
To recreate what it does with other modules would require about quadruple the cost and real estate.
why do I feel like ill end up with this AAAAANNNNNNDDDD quadruple the modules/real estate! :tu:

aandreari
Common Wiggler

Post by aandreari » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:41 pm

kingsmore wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 pm
aandreari wrote:
kinda like it tbh
I didn't say that people will not like it, i said that it's overpriced for what it is.

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:05 pm

aandreari wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:41 pm
kingsmore wrote:
aandreari wrote:
kinda like it tbh
I didn't say that people will not like it, i said that it's overpriced for what it is.
Can't say I understand the overpriced comment. Modular isn't known for being inexpensive, and $200 is on the cheap end of euro module costs in general. Like I said above, putting together a stereo 3-band eq/ 3-band compressor with mutes and mid-side processing with other modules would be many times more expensive and take up considerably more space (and power) in the rack. The rack unit this module is based on still goes for upwards of $400 - $500 used.

aandreari
Common Wiggler

Post by aandreari » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:03 pm

target_destroyed wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:05 pm
aandreari wrote:
kingsmore wrote:
aandreari wrote:
kinda like it tbh
Can't say I understand the overpriced comment. Modular isn't known for being inexpensive, and $200 is on the cheap end of euro module costs in general. Like I said above, putting together a stereo 3-band eq/ 3-band compressor with mutes and mid-side processing with other modules would be many times more expensive and take up considerably more space (and power) in the rack. The rack unit this module is based on still goes for upwards of $400 - $500 used.
In fact that proove what i stated: this market is fucking broken.
everyone can feel free to spend their own money in what they prefer but i actually don't get the point of a 200€ Module that you think is cheap but a 100€ computer can do the same thing with his own build soundcard, so why investing tons of money for your sound quality and let it process by an expensive 16bit module?!?

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:13 pm

aandreari wrote:
kingsmore wrote:
aandreari wrote:
kinda like it tbh
kidna like the price on it then

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 pm

aandreari wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:03 pm

In fact that proove what i stated: this market is fucking broken.
everyone can feel free to spend their own money in what they prefer but i actually don't get the point of a 200€ Module that you think is cheap but a 100€ computer can do the same thing with his own build soundcard, so why investing tons of money for your sound quality and let it process by an expensive 16bit module?!?
oooh i can answer that...character...placement in chain...dynamics...physicality....performance...playmanship....theres a bunch.

of course we could all buy 5 laptops and use endless software....but thats the opposite of at least what im trying to do

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:11 pm

I think a big point of this is for playing live. Not everyone wants to bring a laptop with plugins to handle what this module will do.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”