BeetTweek - A Force Feed-Back Eurorack DSP Module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

cashtrevor
Learning to Wiggle

Re: BeetTweek - A Force Feed-Back Eurorack DSP Module

Post by cashtrevor » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 am

The Dry Erase Marker was added in case it was hard to see the knob turning and thus getting the impressions that it was a standard knob. When you feel it in your hand it seems natural.

Some of the modes, for example Ratchet mode, are inherently decoupled from the absolute orientation of the knob, turning it one way turns the "Virtual Knob" but turning it the other way slips and the virtual knob is not turned.

williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by williamjturkel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I signed up for the Kickstarter, and can't wait to back this.

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm

It looks really cool, but I'm pessimistic about having a motor chewing on the same power supply bus as unshielded analog audio circuits. If there was a separate internal power input with some serious filtering on it, and not just a bus connector, I might feel more tempted. Depending on the price, too, of course. Even with the force feedback and different modes, it is no way as useful as a Planar2, and therefore should come in at a much lower pricepoint...

cashtrevor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cashtrevor » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:29 pm

sir stony wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm
It looks really cool, but I'm pessimistic about having a motor chewing on the same power supply bus as unshielded analog audio circuits. If there was a separate internal power input with some serious filtering on it, and not just a bus connector, I might feel more tempted. Depending on the price, too, of course. Even with the force feedback and different modes, it is no way as useful as a Planar2, and therefore should come in at a much lower pricepoint...
Hi sir stony,

The motor is a 3 phase motor that is driven by a Texas Instruments motor control IC. In addition to this we have designed our own filtering circuits that we use to isolate any noise from the motor from the rest of the module as well as the rest of the rack. The last thing we want is to generate any noise on someone's system! That being said, just like with any module - one will need to make sure the power supply has enough wattage to support the power requirements.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:31 pm

sir stony wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm
it is no way as useful as a Planar2, and therefore should come in at a much lower pricepoint...
That logic is silly. Falistri is more than Maths, Natural Gate is more than Optomix, and Planar 2 is more than Joystick 2
THUMPR BC SC

Ewraiths
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ewraiths » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:36 am

cashtrevor wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:09 pm
The video demo is recording audio, but at the moment it is low bitrate. This was not initially on my mind, but audio now seems like a natural ability that it should have and be able to do. DC coupled audio. I am going to spend my time optimizing and see what I can squeeze in regards to higher bitrates and also on-board persistent flash storage for long gestures and audio, in tandem with some needed design changes.
A longer recording buffer for gestures/audio would take this over the top for me. Definitely interested- awesome work.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”