What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
Dob
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by Dob » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:26 am

Mimeophon and Desmodus/Electus Versio.
Both react very well to CV. The latter works a charm on beats, sending a sequence to tone for instance, on full feedback (with ducking), so the feedback build up quickly in the tone step for that 'tone', but is also cut off by the new tone. Actually I wanted Versio to be my end of chain, but it's so nice to modulate.
So I figured to get some 1u tiles for my Intellijel case that can make me route sounds to my Strymon Bigsky and mix those back in, using the big jacks at the back of the case.
As an end of chain, statically configured reverb.

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5207
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by starthief » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:30 am

Raindeer wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:20 am
starthief wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:52 pm
I've got a Desmodus on the way, so Desmodus/Electus probably will see a lot of use if I don't decide it has to be Ruina full time :)
I just had to recheck because in my head it was called Erectus Versio... which sounds more like a Harry Potter spell for curing impotence.
For some reason I thought it was "Elector Versio" at first, and then kept typoing it as "Electro Versio."

User avatar
SkyWriter
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: Absolute Elsewhere
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by SkyWriter » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:31 am

I have several stereo sends from my rig. Two are:
A Korg NTS-1 - I can write effects for - provides concurrent three serial effects levels 'mod fx', 'delay fx', and 'reverb fx'. Although those are a bit arbitrary.

And an eventide H9 on the other.
Prologue 16 - an adventure worth having!

oliodnb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:54 am
Location: Italy

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by oliodnb » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 am

megarat wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 pm
I'll second the 2HP Verb, and it lives right at the end of my audio chain [...] for a cheap and small in-rack stereo reverb that always does it's job effectively, the 2HP Verb is great.
Same for me.

User avatar
three86
Common Wiggler
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:05 am
Location: San Diego

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by three86 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:39 am

Dob wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:26 am
Mimeophon and Desmodus/Electus Versio.
Both react very well to CV. The latter works a charm on beats, sending a sequence to tone for instance, on full feedback (with ducking), so the feedback build up quickly in the tone step for that 'tone', but is also cut off by the new tone. Actually I wanted Versio to be my end of chain, but it's so nice to modulate.
So I figured to get some 1u tiles for my Intellijel case that can make me route sounds to my Strymon Bigsky and mix those back in, using the big jacks at the back of the case.
As an end of chain, statically configured reverb.
I use the same two. I used to go for small modules for static reverb or effects as an afterthought but I have realized I wiggle them as much as anything so their size doesn't bother me and I care more about how much I enjoy using them. I had been thinking about getting rid of the mimeophon and replacing with another versio but I really like flipping between delay rates.

Lately I have been using versio as ruina (the distortion). I could use one or two more versio but I was thinking maybe they would make a version with usb plug on the front so I don't have to un-rack it to flash the firmware.

User avatar
mnchrme
Common Wiggler
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Countryside, Czechia
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by mnchrme » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 am

three86 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:39 am
Dob wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:26 am
Mimeophon and Desmodus/Electus Versio.
Both react very well to CV. The latter works a charm on beats, sending a sequence to tone for instance, on full feedback (with ducking), so the feedback build up quickly in the tone step for that 'tone', but is also cut off by the new tone. Actually I wanted Versio to be my end of chain, but it's so nice to modulate.
So I figured to get some 1u tiles for my Intellijel case that can make me route sounds to my Strymon Bigsky and mix those back in, using the big jacks at the back of the case.
As an end of chain, statically configured reverb.
I use the same two. I used to go for small modules for static reverb or effects as an afterthought but I have realized I wiggle them as much as anything so their size doesn't bother me and I care more about how much I enjoy using them. I had been thinking about getting rid of the mimeophon and replacing with another versio but I really like flipping between delay rates.

Lately I have been using versio as ruina (the distortion). I could use one or two more versio but I was thinking maybe they would make a version with usb plug on the front so I don't have to un-rack it to flash the firmware.
How do you like the distortion on Viol Ruina?

Tofupancho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:52 am

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by Tofupancho » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:17 am

I like Mimeophon or Milky Way for all around, spacey stuff. Both do great things with some CV. For more dance/aggressive patches, Qu-bit Prism is great and extremely playable. When recording, the Strymon El Capistan pedal is just incredible sounding to me.

User avatar
dro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:10 am
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by dro » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 am

Using Imitor Versio for delay and loving it. Super versatile, seems to work really well for a wide variety of genres that my little machines spit out. For reverb, just using my mixing board reverb (sad, but true). Gunning for a Meris Mercury7 in the near future.

User avatar
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:23 am
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by pugix » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:04 pm

In one small rack I have a Pico DSP followed by a 2hp Verb. In the big rack I have available a Mimeophon, an FX Aid XL, and a uBurst Clouds clone. Also I just got an Erica Black Stereo Delay, which is currently installed in a third rack. Yeah, I'm :goo: over delays, it seems. (And this is just in Eurorack.)

I'm also looking to get a Happy Nerding 4x Stereo Mix, so that I can put some of these FX as separate voices, rather than only end-of-chain.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS/US Erica Swamp, Pico Out, Sheep, Pithoprakta

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

User avatar
studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by studio460 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:15 pm

pugix wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:04 pm
In one small rack I have a Pico DSP followed by a 2hp Verb. In the big rack I have available a Mimeophon, an FX Aid XL . . .
I would love to hear a mini-review on how the 2hp Verb, Pico DSP, and FXAid compares. I have a 2hp Verb, which I like, but was considering a Pico DSP for a second dedicated reverb for another perma-patch module.
Image

User avatar
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: germany

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by felixer » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:27 pm

tc M100 adr klark-tachniks bbd-320. no dealy as that is handeled by several unit (tc gauss and flashback2) in the severa chains ... then it all goes to my old behringer digilog mixer and out thru a tc finalizer ... to hhb cd-dual burner.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

User avatar
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:23 am
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by pugix » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:29 pm

studio460 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:15 pm
pugix wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:04 pm
In one small rack I have a Pico DSP followed by a 2hp Verb. In the big rack I have available a Mimeophon, an FX Aid XL . . .
I would love to hear a mini-review on how the 2hp Verb, Pico DSP, and FXAid compares. I have a 2hp Verb, which I like, but was considering a Pico DSP for a second dedicated reverb for another perma-patch module.
I won't try to compare how they sound, but here is a mini feature comparison. Verb is a single effect. It's stereo in and out, and has CV only over wet/dry, which can be useful to sync it to a beat. Pico DSP is mono in and stereo out, and has 8 different effects with one CV-able parameter for each effect. I like the delays, so that is why I patch the Verb after the Pico DSP. Since both have wet/dry control, you can have neither, either, or both without repatching. I have this in a performance rack. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/589788

FX-Aid XL has the most features with stereo in and out (mono in and stereo out on some effects), and CV over Wet/Dry, Sample Rate, and three parameters. (Regular FX-Aid has the same effect set, but fewer CV inputs.) The way cool thing about FX-Aid is that you have access to some 80 or more effects, with new ones added all the time, that you can easily choose a set of 32 to be loaded at one time.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS/US Erica Swamp, Pico Out, Sheep, Pithoprakta

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

User avatar
studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by studio460 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm

Thanks! The number of effects isn't as much of a priority than the reverb quality. I'm encouraged to see so many positive endorsements of the 2hp Verb, especially for end-of-chain. I feel the same, so my perception of its effect seems status quo. Again, I think the 2hp is on the neutral-side in chracter (in a good way), and its reverb "amount" seems deep enough for what I use it for.

The Pico DSP is only $32 more than the Verb after discounts ($130 vs. $98 with 10%-off), so if it's a "better" reverb than the 2hp, I would opt for that for an additional effects module. Plus, "different" is usually good. I probably won't use its additional effects too often and will likely just use its reverb preset. Though, I probably should just bite the bullet and get an FXAid since its reviews here are near-universally positive.

My Synthesis Technology E520 arrives today (counting the minutes)! Though more focused on modulation-effects (the E520 only has a single reverb algo, "shimmer reverb"), this will likely be my end-of-chain module for a variety of patches. Of course, with so many reverb options (e.g., my Eventide and Source Audio pedals and the 2hp) I'm likely to mix it up.
Image

User avatar
three86
Common Wiggler
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:05 am
Location: San Diego

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by three86 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:30 pm

mnchrme wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 am
How do you like the distortion on Viol Ruina?
It isn't viol ruina it is the Ruina Versio (firmware for the versio platform). I like it a lot and it made me want another versio so I can have it and the reverb at the same time. I would say my favorite is still Desmodus (reverb), then Ruina (distortion). Electus (reverb/delay) and Imitor (delay) feel like a waste to me because I already have other stuff for that but they are fun to play with. Thats why I think Versio is a great for end of chain if you can spare 10hp because it can be a bunch of things.

User avatar
mnchrme
Common Wiggler
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Countryside, Czechia
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by mnchrme » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:35 pm

three86 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:30 pm
mnchrme wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 am
How do you like the distortion on Viol Ruina?
It isn't viol ruina it is the Ruina Versio (firmware for the versio platform). I like it a lot and it made me want another versio so I can have it and the reverb at the same time. I would say my favorite is still Desmodus (reverb), then Ruina (distortion). Electus (reverb/delay) and Imitor (delay) feel like a waste to me because I already have other stuff for that but they are fun to play with. Thats why I think Versio is a great for end of chain if you can spare 10hp because it can be a bunch of things.
I’ll check it out! ^^

banedox
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:19 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by banedox » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:00 pm

does it have to be in eurorack format?

I run a Eventide Space Pedal being fed from a Electroharmonix #1 Analog Delay, get up 2 second delay.

User avatar
Accelra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:57 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by Accelra » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:15 pm

studio460 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm

My Synthesis Technology E520 arrives today (counting the minutes)! Though more focused on modulation-effects (the E520 only has a single reverb algo, "shimmer reverb"), this will likely be my end-of-chain module for a variety of patches. Of course, with so many reverb options (e.g., my Eventide and Source Audio pedals and the 2hp) I'm likely to mix it up.
Interested to see what the E520 sounds like. Not seen too many interesting demos so far. I do like the interface and some of the spectral stuff.

User avatar
ludu357
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:45 pm
Location: sf / bay area

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by ludu357 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:50 pm

a tiptop echoZ.
small, great sounding and super fun to modulate (like every delay..) & surprisingly easy to sync by ear. it even has a "shimmer" delay.

User avatar
studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Contact:

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by studio460 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:12 pm

Accelra wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:15 pm
studio460 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm

My Synthesis Technology E520 arrives today (counting the minutes)! Though more focused on modulation-effects (the E520 only has a single reverb algo, "shimmer reverb"), this will likely be my end-of-chain module for a variety of patches. Of course, with so many reverb options (e.g., my Eventide and Source Audio pedals and the 2hp) I'm likely to mix it up.
Interested to see what the E520 sounds like. Not seen too many interesting demos so far. I do like the interface and some of the spectral stuff.
Me too! It's funny that I initially wavered on this purchase because of its emphasis on modulation-effects, but now that I have my Eventide and Source Audio pedals, that's no longer a concern. Plus, Synthesis Technology hints more algorithms may be yet to come. Based on what I can tell, the E520 is going to be the next best thing to an ER-301 for time-stretching (maybe even better!). With its generous, 5.8-minute buffer, and lovely-sounding, phase-vocoding algorithm, my expectations are high.

I agree about the demos—for a module this anticipated, you would think there would be more. And more specifically, the dearth of demos of modules capable of time-stretching has inspired me to create my own YouTube channel and the E520 will be the star of my very first video! I also created a website (plus, a social media presence on all other platforms; though, I don't expect to contribute too much to those). As soon as it's ready, I'll announce.

I already purchased some neat cine gear for the job including a really nice tripod-mountable, mini-track dolly that I'll also highlight on the site; i.e., I'll have a "tips & tools" section for improving your own demo videos (as a life-long pro-shooter, I have a lot of tricks to share!). If I get inspired enough, I even plan on contacting industry insiders for interviews to make it look like a "real" show (Hans Zimmer, baby, call me back!). But I'm getting ahead of myself (as always!).

Very excited to see what the E520 can do tonight (my UPS driver is now delayed until 7:00PM!). My thanks to Paul, Eric, and everyone at Synthesis Technology for bringing this project to fruition!

[Literally, two-minutes later . . . ] OMG! It's here!

Image

Of course, I'm not even ready. Gotta pull two entire 84hp-rows totally apart to make room and rearrange a bunch of modules. This will go next to my equally gorgeous Synthesis Technology E352 with a WMD AXYS between the two:

Image
Image

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by soggybag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:30 pm

I opted to give 2hp so try. I don’t any of these at the moment. I got the verb and delay.

The only issue I can see is the form factor. While they take little horizontal space they do seem to take up considerable depth. Do these fit in the intellijel palette?

paults
mice nuts
Posts: 4552
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by paults » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:43 pm

waiting......

User avatar
Nonlocal
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:42 pm

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by Nonlocal » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Honestly, if you don’t really need any cv or heavy customizability for your effects, you may want to consider integrating effects pedals. I use erbe verb, rainmaker and magneto when I want things with a lot of control and cv, but if I want a really rich and well perfected effect that doesn't require a lot of tweaking, I’ll turn to my pedal board. Though that may not be the answer you were looking for, but oh well, it’s just an idea

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by soggybag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 pm

Nonlocal wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 pm
Honestly, if you don’t really need any cv or heavy customizability for your effects, you may want to consider integrating effects pedals. I use erbe verb, rainmaker and magneto when I want things with a lot of control and cv, but if I want a really rich and well perfected effect that doesn't require a lot of tweaking, I’ll turn to my pedal board. Though that may not be the answer you were looking for, but oh well, it’s just an idea

You’re probably right. There are so many amazing delays and reverb pedals available at good prices too. I guess the issue converting eurorack signals to guitar level.

graceunderpressure
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by graceunderpressure » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:23 pm

Oto Bim and Bam here, on the sends of my SSL SiX. These are great for guitar and vox as well. Somehow both a bit grainy and very expansive/3D, like the best Lexicons.

User avatar
NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Location: SFV, LAC

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:47 pm

soggybag wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 pm
I guess the issue converting eurorack signals to guitar level.
If out of the rack options are fine, I've really been enjoying the redox from Kilpatrick audio. It handles Line and Euro levels equally well. Tons of control and very interesting mod options. I've heard from some that the reverbs sound cold, but I think they sound fantastic on the default with a lot of nuance that works patch to patch if you work it.

It also has nice delay/phaser/Leslie panning options. All around was surprised by how good it is. Sound and build quality are very worth the current price.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”