What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Re: What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

Post by Nonlocal » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:05 pm

soggybag wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 pm
I guess the issue converting eurorack signals to guitar level.
I don’t believe I’ve ever had a problem with this, even with cheaper pedals. Are you afraid the signal wouldn’t be hot enough? I’m sure a signal booster would take care of this just fine.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:20 pm

All my pedals work fine with Eurorack.

Accelra
Common Wiggler

Post by Accelra » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:58 am

studio460 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:12 pm
Accelra wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:15 pm
studio460 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm

My Synthesis Technology E520 arrives today (counting the minutes)! Though more focused on modulation-effects (the E520 only has a single reverb algo, "shimmer reverb"), this will likely be my end-of-chain module for a variety of patches. Of course, with so many reverb options (e.g., my Eventide and Source Audio pedals and the 2hp) I'm likely to mix it up.
Excited to hear what you can do with it!

Waiting on stock in the UK so have time to decide on it for my foley / FX processing rig in the meantime.

Interested to see what the E520 sounds like. Not seen too many interesting demos so far. I do like the interface and some of the spectral stuff.
Me too! It's funny that I initially wavered on this purchase because of its emphasis on modulation-effects, but now that I have my Eventide and Source Audio pedals, that's no longer a concern. Plus, Synthesis Technology hints more algorithms may be yet to come. Based on what I can tell, the E520 is going to be the next best thing to an ER-301 for time-stretching (maybe even better!). With its generous, 5.8-minute buffer, and lovely-sounding, phase-vocoding algorithm, my expectations are high.

I agree about the demos—for a module this anticipated, you would think there would be more. And more specifically, the dearth of demos of modules capable of time-stretching has inspired me to create my own YouTube channel and the E520 will be the star of my very first video! I also created a website (plus, a social media presence on all other platforms; though, I don't expect to contribute too much to those). As soon as it's ready, I'll announce.

I already purchased some neat cine gear for the job including a really nice tripod-mountable, mini-track dolly that I'll also highlight on the site; i.e., I'll have a "tips & tools" section for improving your own demo videos (as a life-long pro-shooter, I have a lot of tricks to share!). If I get inspired enough, I even plan on contacting industry insiders for interviews to make it look like a "real" show (Hans Zimmer, baby, call me back!). But I'm getting ahead of myself (as always!).

Very excited to see what the E520 can do tonight (my UPS driver is now delayed until 7:00PM!). My thanks to Paul, Eric, and everyone at Synthesis Technology for bringing this project to fruition!

[Literally, two-minutes later . . . ] OMG! It's here!

Of course, I'm not even ready. Gotta pull two entire 84hp-rows totally apart to make room and rearrange a bunch of modules. This will go next to my equally gorgeous Synthesis Technology E352 with a WMD AXYS between the two:

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 am

three86 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:39 am
Lately I have been using versio as ruina (the distortion). I could use one or two more versio but I was thinking maybe they would make a version with usb plug on the front so I don't have to un-rack it to flash the firmware.
Wouldn't it be possible to create a module that just acts as a portal to backside usb connections? Doesn't that exist?
I do have a USB connection on the back of my Intellijel case, maybe I can hardwire that to the Versio for quick firmware swaps :hihi:
Ow wait, I can't set in to firmware upload mode that way :doh:

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:47 am

2hp Verb / 2hp Delay / Supermassive plugin

mnchrme
Common Wiggler

Post by mnchrme » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:53 am

Nonlocal wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:05 pm
soggybag wrote:
I don’t believe I’ve ever had a problem with this, even with cheaper pedals. Are you afraid the signal wouldn’t be hot enough? I’m sure a signal booster would take care of this just fine.
Interesting. It’s better to convert. Even for a fx/send path. It’s like if you ran an analog synth directly through pedals without using a DI or preamp.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:33 am

mnchrme wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:53 am
Nonlocal wrote:
soggybag wrote:
Interesting. It’s better to convert. Even for a fx/send path. It’s like if you ran an analog synth directly through pedals without using a DI or preamp.
In Euro there is are a few cheap modules which do that, I have an ADDAC for about 70$...but I never use it, then with the standalone synths too - I never have to use a DI or an amp to get my levels good. Maybe after you patched 4 pedal in a row to filter hum out,
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Katherine Alicia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Katherine Alicia » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:39 am

unclebastard wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:56 am
Zoom MS70CDR. Everything in one little box.
Ditto, it`s an amazing little box with nearly limitless combos that can make even the most boring patch sound fantastic, I wouldn`t be without mine.
*Peace, Love, Unity, Respect*
https://www.youtube.com/KatherineAlicia

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:44 am

Nonlocal wrote:
soggybag wrote:
It's the opposite. Euro signals are way hotter than guitar signals. If anything you should attenuate a euro signal going into a pedal, and would probably have to boost it if making a return trip back into the modular. There are lots of options for this type of conversion.

radar23
Learning to Wiggle

Post by radar23 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:25 am

Fx Aid in the rack, and externally via the mixer aux bus, Timefactor and Space by eventide

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Accelra wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:15 pm
. . . Waiting on stock in the UK so have time to decide on it for my foley / FX processing rig in the meantime.
I believe Paul said the European shipments were on their way. Detroit Modular had stock over a week ago so I expect yours to show up soon. I didn't know you were interested in foley/FX also—that's my prime area of focus in modular as well (beside just fun). I'm a professional TV cameraguy, but only an amateur sound designer, but I've been interested in this field forever.

Years ago, I had cobbled together a jury-rigged field-recording system using an Audio Technica short-shotgun mic and a portable MiniDisc recorder (and decades before that, a Technics portable stereo audio-cassette recorder). Now, armed with a fully kitted-out Zoom H6, I'm ready to record more field-audio. I just recorded some beautiful rain samples a couple weeks ago that I plan to put through the E520 once I get my Bitbox back in the rack.

I'll try to make some Hyperion audio demos today and post a few Soundcloud clips in the E520 thread later (my new cine accessories haven't arrived yet).

mnchrme
Common Wiggler

Post by mnchrme » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:13 am

slumberjack wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:33 am
mnchrme wrote:
Nonlocal wrote:
soggybag wrote:
In Euro there is are a few cheap modules which do that, I have an ADDAC for about 70$...but I never use it, then with the standalone synths too - I never have to use a DI or an amp to get my levels good. Maybe after you patched 4 pedal in a row to filter hum out,

The point being ~ there is different impendance between these 3 enviroments. 9v guitar pedal also has different headroom. You can easily notice that if you run a line level analog synth through something like Boss overdrive/distortion. “To filter out the hum” ~ no ~ by using x pedals in a row. If there is hum somewhere in your setup it will be in the whole signal path. Noise can be managed by noise to db ratio and eliminated that way (by recording hot) but things like interference, ground loops, hum, crackling, reverse phase in your outlet and much much more won’t go away by chaining pedals.

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:37 am

mnchrme wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:13 am
slumberjack wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:33 am
mnchrme wrote:
Nonlocal wrote:
soggybag wrote:

The point being ~ there is different impendance between these 3 enviroments. 9v guitar pedal also has different headroom. You can easily notice that if you run a line level analog synth through something like Boss overdrive/distortion. “To filter out the hum” ~ no ~ by using x pedals in a row. If there is hum somewhere in your setup it will be in the whole signal path. Noise can be managed by noise to db ratio and eliminated that way (by recording hot) but things like interference, ground loops, hum, crackling, reverse phase in your outlet and much much more won’t go away by chaining pedals.
Impedance mismatching can also cause low end to be filtered out. You should definitely be using something to convert it. I’ve used pedals before with my euro while the deleterious effect wasn’t the worst, it was clearly audible in everything less running it through my big muff.

Back to OP, I use Desmodus Versio which is just great, but typically never static. I use the reverb on beads and clouds sparingly when I need something static, past that it’s in that DAW. I own an afterneath pedal but never liked it on my synths. Delay comes from prism, though that’s typically a karplus strong effect. Beads as a delay is really amazing as well, I’d be tempted to get a second if they were available.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:53 am

I’ve got a BAM and BIM that I use with the intrfx box. Some pedals handle Euro levels fine, but generally it works best attenuating first.

I found the FX Aid clipped a little too easy, so as an end of chain FX it’s worth keeping an eye on gain staging.

electrosandwich
Learning to Wiggle

Post by electrosandwich » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:53 am

I use the tesseract texmix as my end of chain euro mixer. This mixer has two mono sends/ stereo returns. I've found my best bang for the buck is to use a tiptop zverb and echoz in each send and return. These modules are mono in stereo out, so I didn't find a lot of use for them at first, but they work perfectly in this capacity. Each module has 24 algorithms, so almost endless combinations, and fairly priced in the used market.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:22 pm

electrosandwich wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:53 am
I use the tesseract texmix as my end of chain euro mixer. This mixer has two mono sends/ stereo returns. I've found my best bang for the buck is to use a tiptop zverb and echoz in each send and return. These modules are mono in stereo out, so I didn't find a lot of use for them at first, but they work perfectly in this capacity. Each module has 24 algorithms, so almost endless combinations, and fairly priced in the used market.
How do you like the Tiptop ZVERB/ECHOZ? I've been eyeing the new Tiptop verbs for end-of-chain also. I'm listening to Tiptop's demo now—sounds pretty good. Can't decide between the ZVERB and ECHOZ so will probably have to get both.

Yeah, they both sound pretty good. Maybe I get both then dedicate my Eventide Space and Source Audio pedals to my keyboarded synths (they're pretty far from the modular FX stuff). My Prophet-6 sounds pretty amazing though both pedals, and their effects are more "noticeable" than when patched to my modular stuff.

Edit: Yup! Moved my Space and Collider pedals to my Prophet-6 and Waldorf Quantum respectively, and boy do they "work" with those two synths. I've got my new 2hp Verb tied-up with my ISD Sampler, my E520 busy with doing spectral-effects, so now the Tiptop reverb/delays are now NECESSARY!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:40 pm

I use a Doepfer spring reverb, Eventide H9, Strymon BigSky, Strymon NightSky and Valhalla Supermassive.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:40 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:40 pm
I use a Doepfer spring reverb, Eventide H9, Strymon BigSky, Strymon NightSky and Valhalla Supermassive.
Nice! If you could only keep one, BigSky or NightSky, which would it be?

burdickjp
Common Wiggler

Post by burdickjp » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Lich and Lich.
Not as big of a fan of it's reverb, but it's ping pong delay is pure magic. I should find a different reverb for it...

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 pm

studio460 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:40 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Nice! If you could only keep one, BigSky or NightSky, which would it be?
Well they are very different from each other. With my other verbs I don't really need BigSky. I would keep NightSky, it's a lot of fun, it's very musical and is more like an instrument than an effect.

Everyone should get Supermassive. It's free and it's awesome, it does much more than just massive reverbs. Sean Costello is one of the best if not the best reverb algorithm designers in the business.

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:04 am

20201208_143819.jpg

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:45 am

aragorn23 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:25 am
I've shifted from having a Dervish in reverb mode at the end of my signal path to using an ST Modular stereo sum mixer setup (https://www.st-modular.com/stereo%20sum.htm) that has selectable A/B send mixing on each channel, which is typically patched to reverb on A and delay on B (although I'm also using Beads as a send in some patches). Having this amount of control over FX is really changing my patching a lot and I'm enjoying the reduction in muddy bass, etc.

Can you use both sends simultaneously (switch centred) as well as one or the other?

Clearer way of asking: is the send a three way switch?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

aragorn23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aragorn23 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:17 am

Multi Grooves wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:45 am
Can you use both sends simultaneously (switch centred) as well as one or the other?

Clearer way of asking: is the send a three way switch?
Ah, unfortunately not. It's either/or, with no send if the switch is centered... which is a missed opportunity actually, because you can always turn the send pot down to zero anyway if you want no send on a channel.

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:25 pm

soggybag wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:17 pm
What are you using for end of chain reverb and delay?

I’m looking to add some end of of signal chain effects. A small unit that doesn’t have to have lots of CV control. Something to add some ambience and fill in the sound.
I use a number of different things, all outside of the rack reverb-wise.
The Empress Reverb and Delay both offer limited CV control if you want to go that route.

Noi del Prat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noi del Prat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:25 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Do the Eventide H9 and Strymon receive the eurorack signal directly? Do the pedals work well with eurorack levels? I have a Capistan or a Space Echo in the list but I have some doubts about how they'll work as an end of chain (not as sends).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”