Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Post by Funky40 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:20 pm

The Demo was cool. It gave me an entirely different impression than what i thought it would be, based on the infos in the other thread.
there should be some more demos with more specific focus on specific patches.

i´m very interested also. Well, in fact i just wonder if i ´d not had to get two, and not just one.(keeping out $ + HP )
But i´m not clear about some things and what it really can do / patch possibilitys.
It definitly looks like something super interesting,...and something new, no ?

A group shipment to switzerland would be interesting to keep ship & import low.
I REALLY hate to get moules shipped just one alone. I quasi never do it.

In my opinion is 75mm kind of a critical threshold. never go deeper.
IIRC is that the depth you need in the past that nearly any Doepfer module would fit, ..............maybe just 1-2 exeptions.
Oh well, thats the old numbers. Modern Cases are elsewhere, as previous posts show.
any other forums for "experimental electronic music making" or eurorack to consider ?
beside "lines" which was allready suggested

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:48 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:20 pm

A group shipment to switzerland would be interesting to keep ship & import low.
I REALLY hate to get moules shipped just one alone. I quasi never do it.
That would be great! I'm not quite sure yet if I really will buy one, but if I do, I'm definitely in for a group buy.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:06 pm

I just wanted to let people know that, if you have ordered or are in the process of ordering a Freak Shift, I probably won't be processing the Paypal invoices for a week or two. I don't like collecting money for stuff long before I can deliver it, and I won't be able to deliver any new Freak Shifts for at least three weeks (shooting for the last week of April) because it is going to take me that long to get the new panels.
Power spent passion bespoils our soul receiver
Surely we know.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:06 am

Yer gonna need a bigger shed... :hihi: :party:

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:34 pm

OK, in terms of sound, how does it compare to the Doepfer?

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:53 pm

My Doepfer is quite old and I think it’s not a good representation of what the design could actually do but here’s some impressions;
The Doepfer has a similar output scheme (one mono mix of sum/diff and separate jacks for each but the Doepfer has only one input you’d have to cobble together a utility for feedback patching. The Doepfer has a built in Audio rate osc (most FSers do) so that’s what your changing when you turn the shift knob. The CV ins also modulate the internal oscillator’s frequency. That osc only goes so low, it doesn’t really go down into LFO territory so the Doepfer won’t do the sweet phasing that Doc’s does. I have tried imputing a negative CV to push the Doepfer lower but it don’t like that! 😬
Doepfer does show a DIY mod that lets you patch in external LFOs like their quadrature LFO. But without that mod, the Doepfer doesn’t give you the ability to patch in external oscillators or LFOs.
I’ve trimmed my Doepfer according to the instructions in order to reduce leakage, mine still passes through a little of the audio input signal.
The Freq Shift is dead quiet, if you stick two sine waves in, you get two newly pitched sine waves out.
The Freq is kinda freaky in that there’s no shift knob like the giant face-sized shift knobs on Bodes and Moog’s, the shift come from the frequency of the modulating oscillator 👍
The Doepfer’s still cool though, I’ll never part with it, I still need to try patching the Doepfer and Freq Shift together! 😈

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:42 am

Just a reminder: If you send me a PM requesting a module (such as the Freak Shift), please PLEASE give me your email address and TELL ME WHERE YOU LIVE so I can figure out the shipping cost. (I'm looking at you, alanalan, thisoldhouse, and Fayette...)

Incidentally, I'm sitting on 13 Freak Shift orders right now (including 2 orders from one customer). I'm a little nervous about that.... Tonight I finished two sets of boards (all except the Dome filter caps because I'm waiting for a shipment). I'll keep plugging away, making two boards every two or three days, so that I'll have them all built and ready to go by the time I get some panels.
Surely we know.

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 am

Just wanted to show some appreciation for these builds. I come to Doc Sketchy DIY threads to take a glimpse at how far one can take SDIY and it’s really inspiring. From the circuit design to the self-made boards and quick turnaround of complex builds with multiple stacked boards, I am always amazed by how far you have taken it. Especially since it’s essentially an advanced hobby, as far as I understand. Keep it up!

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Loving the sound of this module, very cool.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:42 am
Just a reminder: If you send me a PM requesting a module (such as the Freak Shift), please PLEASE give me your email address and TELL ME WHERE YOU LIVE so I can figure out the shipping cost. (I'm looking at you, alanalan, thisoldhouse, and Fayette...)

Incidentally, I'm sitting on 13 Freak Shift orders right now (including 2 orders from one customer). I'm a little nervous about that.... Tonight I finished two sets of boards (all except the Dome filter caps because I'm waiting for a shipment). I'll keep plugging away, making two boards every two or three days, so that I'll have them all built and ready to go by the time I get some panels.
PM'd about Freak Shift ;)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 pm

I've now got 18 orders as of 6 March. I've sent all interested parties a PM informing them that they will soon be receiving Paypal invoices. If you have expressed interest but have not received a PM reply, please let me know. I've got a list with 17 names (somebody wants two units, so he has two positions in the queue), so I know who you are and I think I have all of your email addresses and locations (except maybe one). So yeah, I've started making boards. I've got two sets all made and stuffed (except for some missing film caps for the 180-stage Dome filters and some mounting hardware, all of which is en route from Bangkok as I type this).

Two down, 16 to go....... :omg: :bang:
Surely we know.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:49 am

🙀

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm

Yeah, Daniel, you created a monster...
Surely we know.

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:37 pm

I have a Analogue Systems Bode for sale but.....At the moment I usm using the Frequency Shifter in my Mutables WARP (custom firmware) a lot which is the best digital FS I know.

This sounds great! Like all other analogue FS with a ton of parts.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm

Well, smoo, there aren't that many parts -- only about 200 resistors, 20 ICs, 30 film capacitors -- OK, there is a ton of parts.

By the way, I'm up to 24 orders now. I'm just finishing 4 of the guts (no panels yet). I'm building them in pairs, and it's taking me about 2 days to make each pair, so if I keep on plugging away, I'll have the remaining 20 done in about a month. School's still on, so I'm still somewhat busy with school work, and I will be for most of April, but I presume I'll have all of these built by mid-May (assuming I can get some panels).

Speaking of panels, I talked to my buddy who is helping me with that, and we discussed some possibilities. One good one is to buy anodized and dyed aluminum and laser-etch the graphics on. The beauty of this is that the panels don't require much preparation (none, really), all the holes and cutting lines can be etched in, and they can be any colour you want. Plus, I don't have to worry about creating a suitable surface for UV-curable ink, etc.

So, what colours of anodized aluminum panels might people want? Of course, they can't be bare aluminum, because the graphics won't show up. I'm going to definitely do black, but I'm thinking that blue and red and purple might be nice, and I've got lots of colorful knobs too. If it were up to me, I'd make them all hot pink....
Surely we know.

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:44 pm

Colourfulness!

drewfx1
Common Wiggler

Post by drewfx1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:01 pm

How about a turquoise beach color scheme? :boat:

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm

By the way, I'm up to 24 orders now.

:lolspew: poor doc’s gonna go shack-wacky stuffing boards!

It never rains, it pours! :party:

And....people are still watching the video... :twisted:

McIntosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by McIntosh » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:40 am

Wow this is a lot of work on top of a full time job :slapfight:
Blue or pink works for me, Magenta is pretty! The effect invokes those colors in my mind.
Would it be possible to have a square around the outputs like :intellijel: Do?
This world of abundance

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:55 pm

Anything's possible, McIntosh.

I just spoke to a local aluminum laser-etching place, and it looks as if I can get the panels made professionally for not that much dough, so I might just do that. I'm still thinking about it. I'll keep y'all apprised of the latest developments.
Surely we know.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 am

I would prefer a simple aluminum panel, but if that's not an option, I don't care all that much. Anything really colorful would be cool as well :)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:39 pm

x2mirko wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 am
I would prefer a simple aluminum panel, but if that's not an option, I don't care all that much. Anything really colorful would be cool as well :)
Well, the place I spoke to doesn't do laser etching on properly thick black anodized aluminum, but I know they do really nice black graphics on bare aluminum. I'll probably be getting mostly those. For the black panels, I may just do them myself using a Glowforge laser etching printer on some material that I source myself. I'm still a couple of weeks away from getting this sorted, though.

In the meantime, here's where I'm at with the orders (which are up to 26 now). I just finished stuffing jumpers into those two bare board sets. I just gave my final lecture of the semester, and am about to go out to the garage and solder them in, then stuff the 200 or so resistors into each of them. The 5 units are complete and ready to test and calibrate. Now that school is over, I should be able to build two units each day. Incidentally, these units are just about exactly 73mm deep from the plastic faces of the jacks to the tops of the electrolytic caps. Assuming at least another 7 mm required for the power cable, and these are 80 mm deep.
FSProgress14April.jpeg
Here is a picture of my film capacitor sorting operation -- this is just one of the four values involved (it looks like these are the 10nF caps, or 103s as I think of it, and that the cap in the testing jig is reading 9.78nF):
SortingCaps.jpeg
Surely we know.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Pm'd!
I AM THAT I AM

Return to “Eurorack Modules”