Deciding on my first Logic module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Deciding on my first Logic module

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Hi, I am trying to decide on my first logic module. I am a fan of Joranalogue modules and have many of them, so I planned on eventually getting the Compare 2 but I am currently looking at the Klavis Logica XT since it fits in my current budget. Am I wrong to think that these 2 modules would compliment each other and the Logica XT would be a good choice for my first Logic module? To be honest with you I am not even sure what I would do with a logic module yet, but it's an area that is missing from my setup and I am excited to experiment using them. Thank you.

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Re: Deciding on my first Logic module

Post by Raymond » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:42 pm

I love joranalogue too but the first logic module I got was tool-box cause it is super straightforward and can do lots of stuff. You need some attenuators and all with it but it is a great... tool box.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-st ... e-tool-box

Oh and sorry I know nothing about the klavis.
New EP releasing on 10th may 2021 -->
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/raymond4/snowman

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 pm

If you don't need many logic functions at the same time, but want a wide variety of options in a small space, the Logica XT is the top choice. And it goes even beyond that. It has become something of a secret spice in my patch recipes since I got it.
The Compare 2 is of course mainly a comparator that offers basic logic outputs as an added bonus. You could just feed it gates and use it as an ordinary logic module like that, too, but as such it's not in the same league as the Logica. On the other hand, a comparator is a powerful tool to extract triggers or gates from any signal, and a classic feature that sets modular synths apart from non-modulars. This one -being a dual window type- is very probably the best of its kind in eurorack these days.
Both these modules are top, no doubt. But they are also both of a kind that is only really useful if you want to take your modular beyond basic analogue subtractive synth sounds and sequence patterns, and have a good idea of how to get there. Logic can do magic about rhythmic and functional structures, comparators are the miner's gold for stuff like generative patches and general extraction of timing from continuous signals. Used together, they can turn a modular system from "being just a synth" into a self contained playground of creation.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:34 pm

Hard to top Logica XT for binary logic—it’s a great package/value. I have a Logica Gater and a Logica XT sitting next to my Compare 2.

The main trick with logic is to stop and think about how to improve your patch with it. It can require a little contemplation and trial & error.

oilpanic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oilpanic » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 pm

If you diy there is a new offering from Frequency Central.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 pm

i prefer to patch logic with vcas & offsetting attenuverters

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:10 am

I have the Klavis Logica XT, the Intellijel Plog, the Intellijel OR and the Joranalogue Compare 2. All of them are great. The logica XT alone would be not enough for me because if you get into logic and find out about all the great stuff you can do with it just one channel isn't enough IMO. The intellijel Plog is very powerful because it has 2 main channels and two different flip-flops on top of that. The intellijel OR seems not very exciting but it also acts as an analog max. Great for combining CVs. I generally don't use the Compare 2 for logic but I'm sure its fun.

If I would have to constrain myself to only one module it would be the Plog.

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Post by Raymond » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:12 am

And also my next logic purchase will be for sure the doepfer a-166 cause you have have two times AND, OR, XOR results available at the same time which can be inverted as well. For logic and utilities modules, it is quite hard to beat doepfer. Not always but quite often.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-166-

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 am

I would second the suggestion of the A-166 as a first logic module. It is simple, gives you the basic building blocks and allows you to learn/patch other configurations, like flip flops etc.

XODES
Common Wiggler

Post by XODES » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:37 am

A bit of self-promotion here, as one might be interested in LB5, which gives simultaneous access to all basic logic functions as well as a flip-flop and is available whether in 3U or 1U formats :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-lb5-3u

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-lb5-1u
Image   Image   Image   Image

Raindeer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 am

Navs wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 am
I would second the suggestion of the A-166 as a first logic module. It is simple, gives you the basic building blocks and allows you to learn/patch other configurations, like flip flops etc.
I’d love to know how to patch a flip flop with my A-166. Is it possible? i.e. one trigger to go high, next trigger to go low.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 am

Raindeer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 am
I’d love to know how to patch a flip flop with my A-166. Is it possible? i.e. one trigger to go high, next trigger to go low.
I don't own a a-166 (I think I should get one...), but it seems possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_(electronics)

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Post by Raymond » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:37 am

a773 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 am
Raindeer wrote:

This will definitely be my next logic module. It seems so useful. I love or/and functions and it can be self patch as well so it could give lots of crazy possibilities! Really excited about this module.

Raindeer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 am

a773 wrote:
Raindeer wrote:

Thanks. I looked at the Wikipedia article but it did not contain any guide to patching a flip flop with a A-166 ;) I did see that the answer could lie in feeding the output of two logic circuits back into each other’s inputs. I’ll need to study this later...

Or alternatively if someone has tried and succeeded it would be great to know how you did it. Apologies if this is a super simple logic question but I can’t quite figure it out.

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Post by Raymond » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:24 am

I don’t know for sure but I guess self patching could do the trick. Or at worse it should give some great unexpected results ! Daaammmn I want to buy it so hard but I can’t I’ll have to wait.
Those kinds of module very often make me much more excited than VCO or filters. I don’t know it seems it can give so much modulations, happy accidents and surprise !

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:15 am

Raymond wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:24 am
I don’t know for sure but I guess self patching could do the trick. Or at worse it should give some great unexpected results ! Daaammmn I want to buy it so hard but I can’t I’ll have to wait.
Those kinds of module very often make me much more excited than VCO or filters. I don’t know it seems it can give so much modulations, happy accidents and surprise !
Once you actually know what you are doing, utilities and modulation in general are way more exciting that vcos and filters!!!!
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:17 am

oilpanic wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 pm
If you diy there is a new offering from Frequency Central.
don't have to DIY - FC sell built modules too!

actually there are 2 new logic modules and an older one

the 2 new ones are the 2 halves of the older one split into 2 modules and doubled up by the look of it
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:01 am

I guess Branches is technically my first logic module, albeit super simple. I've not gotten into much logic stuff until recently, until deciding to build some of the Frequency Central stuff. They've got a LOT to choose from, and I picked Cryptograf, Deep Thought, and High Towers so far. Logic Bomb and Reset Simulation could be additions to the setup soon.
Instagram | Soundcloud | MG Main Rack 6U+6U

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am

Abstract Data also makes some nice logic modules

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:47 am

Logic is a tweeting bird! 🙀

But CV controlled Logic is the next logical step!

Plog for the win! 😻

Raindeer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:49 am

Dcramer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:47 am
You’re saying we should apply logic to our choice of logic modules? These purchase decisions are becoming like Inception.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:50 am

Raindeer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:49 am
Dcramer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:47 am
You’re saying we should apply logic to our choice of logic modules? These purchase decisions are becoming like Inception.
🤣🤣🤣

colligative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by colligative » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 am

My vote is for Plog as well. CV control and the flip flops that can act as clock dividers make it super useful. I love using it to get extra gate patterns from what I've already sequenced.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 am

Plog is a LOT of fun. I only recently got mine and have been loving exploring with it.
The XODES LB5 looks like tasty fun as well and has been on my radar.
Klavis Logica XT I do not know, will go look at now.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:13 pm

Raindeer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 am
a773 wrote:
Raindeer wrote:

Thanks. I looked at the Wikipedia article but it did not contain any guide to patching a flip flop with a A-166 ;) I did see that the answer could lie in feeding the output of two logic circuits back into each other’s inputs. I’ll need to study this later...

Or alternatively if someone has tried and succeeded it would be great to know how you did it. Apologies if this is a super simple logic question but I can’t quite figure it out.
Yes, just follow the schematics on the wikipedia page. There are also clear diagrams here: https://www.electronicshub.org/sr-flip- ... gic-gates/

These 'patches' can tie-up the whole module, but they're fun and can lead to interesting avenues. Another 'quick fix' flip flop is to use a clock divider: the /2 output changes state on each gate received (and has memory, and can be reset ...).

There are some good ideas in the original Nord Modular tutorial collated by James Clark: https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmo ... logic.html

and there's an interesting patch in the Sport Modulator manual to achieve quadrature modulation (also a flip flop patch? :hmm: )

Return to “Eurorack Modules”