Deciding on my first Logic module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

biggerovski
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Deciding on my first Logic module

Post by biggerovski » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:31 pm

Anyone experimented with PNW logic functions? Are they pretty basic? I kinda miss my Cold Mac's logic function—should've held onto a bit longer.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:48 pm

I have two Doepfer A-166s so that's going to be my suggestion. Straight forward logic with nothing trying to fancy it up.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Blue Lantern’s CMOS Party Logic is an inexpensive choice that offers numerous outs.

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:41 am

Thank you. This discussion has been helpful. It has also intensified my desire for the Compare 2 for its other functions lol. The Plog was definitely one of the top contenders when I first started my journey in modular as I have many Intellijel modules and a couple of their cases and generally like their products. But I'm gonna have to definitely check out the CMOS Logic Party too. I love that there are so many options and that modules can serve so many different purposes. I have so much to learn.

bravewave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bravewave » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:50 am

For boolean logic definatly Plog, it is very versatile with its 3 inputs an normalisation. For analog logic I use Klinks.

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:25 am

no one said COLD MAC!!!!! not pure logic i suppose

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:11 am

This is really turning into a difficult decision even though i plan on getting a few of these over time to try out . After all that's why I got into modular, to learn and explore synthesis more deeply. Right now I'm gravitating towards whatever is closer to 100 bucks because that fits under the line I've drawn for the old credit card balance lol. The Plog and Compare 2 are top contenders but a little more in price. The Blue Latern CMOS Logic Party and the Logica XT fit more in the zone of current budget. I guess the only thing about the Logics XT as a first logic module is that it doesn't give access to all the various logic outputs at once as the CMOS Logic Party would?

The modules i have which I think would pair well with these types of modules are the 4MS clock divider with its breakout module as well as a couple Contour 1 modules (which it sounds like would pair very well with the Compare 2 and have me almost pulling the trigger on the Compare 2 and breaking the rules). Tough decisions here lol

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:59 am

I also have a Marbles clone for randomization and an Intellihel Quadrax with expansion for envelopes and synced LFOs that i think would pair well with a logic module. My VCA is Intellihrls Quad VCA

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:06 am

Another +1 for the Plog. SO much packed into 8hp. This is my main logic, in addition to a couple of Intellijel ORs and the logic built into Pam's New Workout.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:19 am

Plog and the A-166 look great.

My current logic patching is aided by Pam’s, and o_C with Hemisphere suites, which offers a fairly typical set of binary logic applets, x2 (one in each sphere). It’s interesting to have a visual readout of the logic operations.

Has anyone tried Illyana by Omnii Industries? Looks like it has programmable logic via CV in the upper half, and more traditional logic patching in the lower half. I like that it has a degree of complexity available without menus.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Post by Raymond » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 am

Jazz-Circuit wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:11 am
This is really turning into a difficult decision even though i plan on getting a few of these over time to try out . After all that's why I got into modular, to learn and explore synthesis more deeply. Right now I'm gravitating towards whatever is closer to 100 bucks because that fits under the line I've drawn for the old credit card balance lol. The Plog and Compare 2 are top contenders but a little more in price. The Blue Latern CMOS Logic Party and the Logica XT fit more in the zone of current budget. I guess the only thing about the Logics XT as a first logic module is that it doesn't give access to all the various logic outputs at once as the CMOS Logic Party would?

The modules i have which I think would pair well with these types of modules are the 4MS clock divider with its breakout module as well as a couple Contour 1 modules (which it sounds like would pair very well with the Compare 2 and have me almost pulling the trigger on the Compare 2 and breaking the rules). Tough decisions here lol
The A-166 is around 100 bucks also.
New EP releasing on 10th may 2021 -->
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/raymond4/snowman

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:48 am

I'll have to look deeper but I couldn't find any A-166 modules available

Lux A Turner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:15 pm

FWIW I chose the Klavis Logica XL because...
  • My first choice - the Erica Pico Logic - was out of stock everywhere and I'd only have to find an extra 2HP to accomodate it.
  • It has three inputs, so I figured it would pair well with uGrids, Marbles or M/DIV.
  • It has a manual button, so you can play it a bit.
  • It offers a nice range of "non-standard" functions.
  • CV control over function selection.
  • Reasonable price.
  • Klavis have a very good reputation here.
So far I've just used it for a bit of extra rhythmic spice, as a Gate-Trigger and as a sub generator. I really should make it the centre of a wiggle or two, sometime...

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:39 pm

I know this may be a little off topic from the discussion about logic modules, but do I understand correctly that the compare 2 can be used to sync oscillators that don't have a sync input already? This would be extremely useful in my system right now which is making me lean towards the compared to because then it'll give me Taste of some logic but also proved extremely helpful in other areas as well immediately.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”