List your hardware reverbs here—yes, ALL of them!*

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Re: List your hardware reverbs here—yes, ALL of them!*

Post by natureclubcassettes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:34 pm

euro:
erbe verb
rt-60
clouds
rings

pedal:
rv-5

rack:
rv-70
dep-5

my list of delays is longer, though

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm

for anyone at all interested in Lexicon reverb algorithms pulled for a GS thread by one of its programmers
Michael Carnes wrote:Lexicon reverbs: a brief bestiary
About Lexicon reverbs

I often see lots of comments about the naturalness or effect-y-ness of Lexicon reverbs. I think it's worth taking a few minutes to point out the differences in reverbs and how you can use them for either natural or effect-y applications. After all, there are more than 30 years of history in Lexicon reverbs and they're not all the same. As we go through them, you'll see me mention two parameters named 'Spin' and 'Wander'. These are often the source of great confusion, and it doesn't help that they're a little different in each of the 'verbs. In general, their intent is to provide a smoother frequency response for complex material. In some of the algorithms, they're not really even noticeable as modulation effects. They can often be turned off with no harm, depending on material.

You'll find variants of these algorithms in lots of our verbs, but my descriptions apply most closely to the PCM96.

Concert Hall
This is the granddaddy of Lexicon reverbs and it dates back to the 224. It was the definitive 80's reverberator. It is prone to coloration and is best used with very large room sizes. This is the only algorithm without Spin and Wander. Instead, it has a pair of chorus controls. It's a nifty effect for the right material, but you can hear strong pitch effects. While I like the sound, I can't ever imagine using it for any natural sort of mix.

Plate
There've been a few minor tweaks on this, but the PCM96 has a version that close to the 480l, although much cleaner. In this algorithm, Spin and Wander can be used to smooth the frequency response. They're not really intended for chorus-type effects. Even with large amounts, pitch should be quite stable. If you find that you still hear modulation effects you don't want, simple turn Spin down or off. It will sound fine.

Chamber
Extremely high reflection density and rapid onset--just like you'd expect from a live chamber. Once again, spin and wander are present and available to smooth out problem material. I generally like Chamber with spin turned all the way off. Alternatively, moderate Spin with a low Wander value ( under 3 milliseconds) will be effective at smoothing frequency response without creating noticeable modulation.

Random Hall
This algorithm dates back the the 480l and you'll find versions in every one of our high-end reverbs after that. This algorithm is the basis of a lot of good mixes, and is more responsible for the term "Lexicon Sound" than any other reverb. But it has quite noticeable modulation, especially with smaller room sizes. I wouldn't suggest messing too much with Spin and Wander for this algorithm. It is what it is, and that's nice.

Hall
This algorithm was introduced with the PCM96. It has many of the characteristics of the 480l, without the strong sense of modulation. If you have material that's strongly colored, then high values for Spin and Wander will help smooth out the material with very little sense of modulation. At the same time, for many applications you can turn Spin down completely and have a stable, natural tail.

Room
This one is also new with the PCM96 (there are some old boxes with an algorithm called Room, but those were much closer to a Hall). While the primary focus of this is post-production, careful programming can give some very nice hall sounds as well. The early reflections are quite stable and and possible modulation occurs at low levels in the tail where it's helpful in reducing coloration. If I ever have time, there are a great many presets I'd like to do with this one. It can be made to sound quite clean and natural.

One other thing
There are a couple of other parameters call Shape and Spread. They're used to delay injection of energy into the reverb--giving something of an envelope to the early stages of verb. In some cases, they may appear to cause some late motion in the tail. That's not really what's happening, but it can sound that way. Reducing either or both of those parameters may be helpful.

Finally
So let me encourage you to spend some time playing with presets based on our different algorithms. Presets often represent the mindset of the person doing the presets, and a given series of presets may explore only one facet of the algorithm. You might find that a bit of editing time will open up new possibilities. We used to throw around a phrase at Lex "We give you the rope...". I think it still applies.

It appears that many people identify with the Lexicon sound that was available in the decade they entered the business. With the PCM96, we've tried to incorporate the sounds from all four of those decades.
TOO FAR GONE

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:34 pm
euro:
erbe verb
rt-60
clouds
rings

pedal:
rv-5

rack:
rv-70
dep-5

my list of delays is longer, though
Same here.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:10 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm
for anyone at all interested in Lexicon reverb algorithms pulled for a GS thread by one of its programmers
Michael Carnes wrote:Lexicon reverbs: a brief bestiary
About Lexicon reverbs

I often see lots of comments about the naturalness or effect-y-ness of Lexicon reverbs. I think it's worth taking a few minutes to point out the differences in reverbs and how you can use them for either natural or effect-y applications. After all, there are more than 30 years of history in Lexicon reverbs and they're not all the same. As we go through them, you'll see me mention two parameters named 'Spin' and 'Wander'. These are often the source of great confusion, and it doesn't help that they're a little different in each of the 'verbs. In general, their intent is to provide a smoother frequency response for complex material. In some of the algorithms, they're not really even noticeable as modulation effects. They can often be turned off with no harm, depending on material.

You'll find variants of these algorithms in lots of our verbs, but my descriptions apply most closely to the PCM96.

Concert Hall
This is the granddaddy of Lexicon reverbs and it dates back to the 224. It was the definitive 80's reverberator. It is prone to coloration and is best used with very large room sizes. This is the only algorithm without Spin and Wander. Instead, it has a pair of chorus controls. It's a nifty effect for the right material, but you can hear strong pitch effects. While I like the sound, I can't ever imagine using it for any natural sort of mix.

Plate
There've been a few minor tweaks on this, but the PCM96 has a version that close to the 480l, although much cleaner. In this algorithm, Spin and Wander can be used to smooth the frequency response. They're not really intended for chorus-type effects. Even with large amounts, pitch should be quite stable. If you find that you still hear modulation effects you don't want, simple turn Spin down or off. It will sound fine.

Chamber
Extremely high reflection density and rapid onset--just like you'd expect from a live chamber. Once again, spin and wander are present and available to smooth out problem material. I generally like Chamber with spin turned all the way off. Alternatively, moderate Spin with a low Wander value ( under 3 milliseconds) will be effective at smoothing frequency response without creating noticeable modulation.

Random Hall
This algorithm dates back the the 480l and you'll find versions in every one of our high-end reverbs after that. This algorithm is the basis of a lot of good mixes, and is more responsible for the term "Lexicon Sound" than any other reverb. But it has quite noticeable modulation, especially with smaller room sizes. I wouldn't suggest messing too much with Spin and Wander for this algorithm. It is what it is, and that's nice.

Hall
This algorithm was introduced with the PCM96. It has many of the characteristics of the 480l, without the strong sense of modulation. If you have material that's strongly colored, then high values for Spin and Wander will help smooth out the material with very little sense of modulation. At the same time, for many applications you can turn Spin down completely and have a stable, natural tail.

Room
This one is also new with the PCM96 (there are some old boxes with an algorithm called Room, but those were much closer to a Hall). While the primary focus of this is post-production, careful programming can give some very nice hall sounds as well. The early reflections are quite stable and and possible modulation occurs at low levels in the tail where it's helpful in reducing coloration. If I ever have time, there are a great many presets I'd like to do with this one. It can be made to sound quite clean and natural.

One other thing
There are a couple of other parameters call Shape and Spread. They're used to delay injection of energy into the reverb--giving something of an envelope to the early stages of verb. In some cases, they may appear to cause some late motion in the tail. That's not really what's happening, but it can sound that way. Reducing either or both of those parameters may be helpful.

Finally
So let me encourage you to spend some time playing with presets based on our different algorithms. Presets often represent the mindset of the person doing the presets, and a given series of presets may explore only one facet of the algorithm. You might find that a bit of editing time will open up new possibilities. We used to throw around a phrase at Lex "We give you the rope...". I think it still applies.

It appears that many people identify with the Lexicon sound that was available in the decade they entered the business. With the PCM96, we've tried to incorporate the sounds from all four of those decades.
thanks for this!

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm

4x Springs
2x BBDs
4x Rack
3x Euro
Nx DIY

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:13 pm

EPTC wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:06 pm
studio460 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:57 pm
Never got into those (mainly out of just ignorance over which ones are the best bang-for-the-buck), but I only hear great things about them! Which ones, exactly?
Probably the cheapest "just try em!" ones are the MPX-1 and MPX-100 . . .
Hey, thanks for that detailed write-up! Yes, I've always heard people complimenting these, but I just never knew which ones to zero-in on. Thanks for the tip about the batteries! I have an excellent soldering station I got off Amazon just waiting for some projects! It was only $50 and does everything. The best thing about it is its solder-holder—I never know where my solder is!

damase wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:10 pm
bricasti m7 because thats all i need
Wow! Well, I'm impressed! Is it everything they say it is?
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm
for anyone at all interested in Lexicon reverb algorithms pulled for a GS thread by one of its programmers . . .
Fascinating! Thanks for posting that here!
deft_bonz wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:21 am
Eurorack:
Tiptop Z5000
Big T Music Rangoon (Rings)
Intellijel Multi-FX 1U

19":
Lexicon PCM70 & PCM80
Ensoniq DP2 & DP4
Eventide H3000SE
Bricasti M7M
Interesting mix! For someone who owns a Bricasti to also choose a Tiptop Z5000 for their rack is encouraging! (I just ordered a ZVERB/ECHOZ.) How do you like the Intellijel multi-effects? I have a whole 104hp-row f 1U I still have yet to fill.
zengomi wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 am
THINGS THAT DO REVERB . . .
Wow! Impressive list! How do you like your Tiptop Z-DSP compared with the big boys like the Eventides you own? Also, what do you think of your E520? I just got mine (mainly for the time-stretching). Still exploring the CV possibilities of the other presets.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 pm

7 EMT 140s for 7.1 surround mixing :sb: :hihi:
Last edited by winn3r on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:13 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:13 pm
deft_bonz wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:21 am
Eurorack:
Tiptop Z5000
Big T Music Rangoon (Rings)
Intellijel Multi-FX 1U

19":
Lexicon PCM70 & PCM80
Ensoniq DP2 & DP4
Eventide H3000SE
Bricasti M7M
Interesting mix! For someone who owns a Bricasti to also choose a Tiptop Z5000 for their rack is encouraging! (I just ordered a ZVERB/ECHOZ.) How do you like the Intellijel multi-effects? I have a whole 104hp-row f 1U I still have yet to fill.
I use the Eurorack effects for effect-y stuff. Not for mixdown reverbs. Here and there I use the Bricasti for effect-y stuff as well.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 am

Oto Bam
Roland Space Echo 301
Machine drum
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

Stice
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stice » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:19 am

2 x Dynacord DRP-20
1 x ibanez SDR1000 (aka Sony MU-R201)
1 x FX AID
1 x Z-DSP

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:13 am
. . . I use the Eurorack effects for effect-y stuff. Not for mixdown reverbs. Here and there I use the Bricasti for effect-y stuff as well.
Right. That makes sense. That's kind of how I was using my outboard with my modular vs. in-rack effects.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:47 am

Just using a BAM at the moment - would like to get my hands on an Erbe-verb again.

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:48 am

studio460 wrote:
zengomi wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 am
THINGS THAT DO REVERB . . .
Wow! Impressive list! How do you like your Tiptop Z-DSP compared with the big boys like the Eventides you own? Also, what do you think of your E520? I just got mine (mainly for the time-stretching). Still exploring the CV possibilities of the other presets.
Everything might have a place somewhere sometime.

Z-DSP is easy to setup and modulate, and that goes for E520, and, really, for all Eurorack modules.

In the case of Eurorack, I tend to use reverb and other effects for single sounds rather than for multiple sounds or an overall mix.

USTA primitivo

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:00 am

I'm going to preface this by saying I really love reverb...

No Euro/5U/pedals

Current:

tc m4000
Lexicon 480L
Publison IM-90
Roland RSP-550
Eventide H-9000
Alesis MIDIverb II
Roland SRV-2000
Bricasti M7

Had in the past and at some point it seemed OK to sell (some regrets here):

Quantec QRS
Eventide SP-2016
Eventide H8000FW
Eventide H3000
AMS RMX16
Klark-Teknik DN-780
Dynacord SRS-56
Dynacord DRS 78
EMT-251
EMT-245
Masterroom XL-121
Masterroom XL-305
Kurzweil KSP-8
Roland R-880
Alesis MIDIverb III
Alesis Quadraverb
Yamaha REV 7
Yamaha REV 100
Ursa Major Stargate 323
Ursa Major Stargate 626
AKG BX 5
AKG BX 20
AKG ADR 68k
Lexicon LXP-1
Lexicon 200
Lexicon 224
Lexicon 300
Lexicon PCM-70
Lexicon PCM-80
Lexicon PCM-81
Lexicon PCM-92
Last edited by oldgearguy on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 am

Wow! How about delays?

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am

DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 am
Wow! How about delays?

umm yeah there's a lot of delays here too.
Most days it's a toss-up between what I like using more. I guess we'll wait for a "List all your delays" thread. :lol:

Stice
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stice » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:29 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:00 am
(some regrets here)
Which ones? ;)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:33 am

just personal preference. i could work with just the ableton reverbs if i had to but the m7 is dependable, saves me loads of time, and ties the mixes together nicely. its luxurious for sure, but i could see myself getting a second in the future

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:41 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 am
Wow! How about delays?

umm yeah there's a lot of delays here too.
Most days it's a toss-up between what I like using more. I guess we'll wait for a "List all your delays" thread. :lol:
Ha ha!

maxl0rd
Common Wiggler

Post by maxl0rd » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:58 am

studio460 wrote:
damase wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:10 pm
bricasti m7 because thats all i need
Yes

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 am

oldgearguy wrote:

No Euro/5U/pedals

Current:

tc m4000
Lexicon 480L
Publison IM-90
Roland RSP-550
Eventide H-9000
Alesis MIDIverb II
Roland SRV-2000
Bricasti M7

Had in the past and at some point it seemed OK to sell (some regrets here):

Quantec QRS
Eventide SP-2016
Eventide H8000FW
Eventide H3000
AMS RMX16
Klark-Teknik DN-780
EMT-251
EMT-245
Masterroom XL-121
Masterroom XL-305
Kurzweil KSP-8
Alesis MIDIverb III
Alesis Quadraverb
Yamaha REV 7
Yamaha REV 100
Ursa Major Stargate 323
Ursa Major Stargate 626
AKG BX 5
AKG BX 20
AKG ADR 68k
Lexicon LXP-1
Lexicon 224
Lexicon 300
Lexicon PCM-70
Lexicon PCM-80
Lexicon PCM-81
Lexicon PCM-92
You have/had them all :sb:

Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:03 pm

Erb-Verb
It's all I need.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm

Eventide H3000
Mr Black Eterna Gold Modified
Mr Black Supermoon
EHX Cathedral
Digitech iStomp
Zoom MS 50G
Roland SP-404A
FX Aid
Clouds
Alesis Midiverb II
Lexicon MPX1

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:43 pm

zengomi wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:48 am
In the case of Eurorack, I tend to use reverb and other effects for single sounds rather than for multiple sounds or an overall mix.
Cool, cool! Yeah, that's exactly what I do as well (I don't what I was talking about earlier). I use each reverb for a specific voice, for a specific effect. Don't really have a "end-of-chain" at all actually.

Because I have so many voices and I've yet to integrate them all into one composition, mainly because I'm exploring the effects-side of modular so far (though, my new Acid Rain Chainsaw + Toppobrillo Quantimator has really changed all of that—amazing—EVERYONE should get this pairing!) And when I do, it's usually in Logic, as someone else here cogently stated.
oldgearguy wrote:
Wow! So do I. As I said, everything seems to sound better with it. I totally plan to add to my small collection as time goes on. Maybe an old-school Z-DSP next.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Euro:
Erica Black Hole DSP 2

Rack:
Yamaha SPX900
Digitech TSR-24
Stuff: TR-8S . MX-1 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq ESQ-1 . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Ensoniq VFX-SD . Yamaha MODX6 . DX7 . TX802 . SPX900 . MPC Live . RE-303 . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-mu Emax II . E-mu EMAX II rack . PCM 41 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

Return to “Eurorack Modules”