Audio interface with 2 or more inputs

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Audio interface with 2 or more inputs

Post by soggybag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 am

I’m looking for an audio interface that I can record two or more channels simultaneously.

I have an interface with multiple inputs currently but you can only record one at a time. A lot of interfaces multiple inputs and outputs but it’s not clear from the description that you can get a mix at the usb out.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Audio interface with 2 or more inputs

Post by xcc » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am

soggybag wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 am
I’m looking for an audio interface that I can record two or more channels simultaneously.

I have an interface with multiple inputs currently but you can only record one at a time. A lot of interfaces multiple inputs and outputs but it’s not clear from the description that you can get a mix at the usb out.
Most proper audio interfaces will let you multitrack out of the USB interface rather than mix them. I'd recommend the MOTU interfaces since they're DC coupled for CV and can handle Euro levels without attenuation, but there are tons of others out there that would work for you.

Which interface do you have now?

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:27 am

I run a Scarlett 18i8 and use my old 2013 macbook to run my older firewire Saffire Pro 40 for all the other multi track in and out duties needed on my desk. However the poor Saffire Pro 40 you gotta wack it or giggle the power cord and button to get it to turn on, at worst i pull it out, pop the lid off and move some wires around inside and it works again haha... Ive tried to track it down but cant pinpoint it.

I should note I feed the Saffire 40 channels in standalone mode by optical to the in on the Scarlett. or digital Spid

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 am

+1 for MOTU
don't like them on pc, but on mac they work beautifully.
and the eq on all the ones i have worked with sound great.
as for being dc coupled for cv, not all of their interfaces has this option, so do your research.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:53 am

xcc wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am
soggybag wrote:

Most proper audio interfaces will let you multitrack out of the USB interface rather than mix them. I'd recommend the MOTU interfaces since they're DC coupled for CV and can handle Euro levels without attenuation, but there are tons of others out there that would work for you.

Which interface do you have now?

Thanks really helpful. I have an old Tascam. It has XLR and 1/4” but there is a switch to choose and it will use one.

Raindeer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:58 am

Treat it like space in your Eurorack case and ensure to have more inputs than you expect you’ll need! I use a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre which works very nicely.

Also, are you sure the interface is your issue? Just as likely to be the DAW.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Raindeer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:58 am
Treat it like space in your Eurorack case and ensure to have more inputs than you expect you’ll need! I use a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre which works very nicely.

Also, are you sure the interface is your issue? Just as likely to be the DAW.
I’m not having trouble, it’s just that my current interface only has a single input. I’m looking for an interface that will take two inputs and send them to the usb.

Raindeer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:40 pm

soggybag wrote:
I have an interface with multiple inputs currently.
soggybag wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:29 pm
my current interface only has a single input.
No worries. You didn’t mention what you’re using so guess you can see where I got confused!

Wartimetapestry
Common Wiggler

Post by Wartimetapestry » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:38 pm

I’m not sure what you mean about mix out on USB... but if you want to record multiple inputs, either simultaneously or separately, then the following applies -

I use a Focusrite Pro 40 and have it wired up through a patchbay for easy access to all input and outputs. It’s connected through FireWire and runs solidly on Windows 7. It also (as I’m sure most do nowadays) comes with software for choosing different routing presets.

In the spirit of discussion - I used to have a similar sounding interface to yours and I really couldn’t go back. Whether or not you think you really need more than 2 inputs, having them gives you the ability to be flexible, and spend way less time setting up and tearing down. For me, this was a revelation, and really positive for my creativity/workflow. It was definitely worth spending a little extra cash in this department.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 pm

I've been using the Roland Rubix 44 for about a year now. For the price, it is pretty great. Really clean recording quality and it has a compressor/limiter on each input. It handles Euro levels well with some light attenuation (I actually just use a passive line out module most of the time). The thing that I like most about it is that the inputs and controls for all 4 channels are on the front of the unit, so it's easy to re-patch w/o a patch bay. If I ever need to upgrade to an 8 channel interface though, I'll probably go Motu or a Focusrite Scarlett .

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 am

Wartimetapestry wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:38 pm
I’m not sure what you mean about mix out on USB... but if you want to record multiple inputs, either simultaneously or separately, then the following applies -

I use a Focusrite Pro 40 and have it wired up through a patchbay for easy access to all input and outputs. It’s connected through FireWire and runs solidly on Windows 7. It also (as I’m sure most do nowadays) comes with software for choosing different routing presets.

In the spirit of discussion - I used to have a similar sounding interface to yours and I really couldn’t go back. Whether or not you think you really need more than 2 inputs, having them gives you the ability to be flexible, and spend way less time setting up and tearing down. For me, this was a revelation, and really positive for my creativity/workflow. It was definitely worth spending a little extra cash in this department.
What I’d like to be able to do is plug a mic and another instrument into to that audio interface and record both at the same time on the computer via the USB. If I could go a step further it would be great to have one mono and one stereo input I could record at the same time.

My current audio interface has a guitar and XLR inputs but you can only use one or the other.

Wartimetapestry
Common Wiggler

Post by Wartimetapestry » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 am

soggybag wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 am
Wartimetapestry wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:38 pm

What I’d like to be able to do is plug a mic and another instrument into to that audio interface and record both at the same time on the computer via the USB. If I could go a step further it would be great to have one mono and one stereo input I could record at the same time.

My current audio interface has a guitar and XLR inputs but you can only use one or the other.
That’s doable with the above setup, if you using a DAW with which you can choose the routing settings. You would configure your daw to take input 1 as a mono source and then input 2 & 3 as a stereo source... or whatever combination suits. Ableton can do this for sure. It just involves cabling up your equipment with the appropriate wires. I mentioned that the Safire Pro is FireWire but there are plenty of others that work over usb.

If you really want the audio to travel over USB then I think there are options for that via digital mixing desks but it would be pretty limited in terms of expansions.

Forgive me if I’m missing something...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”