Eurorack beginner's advice

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Jesper(modclubhouse)
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Eurorack beginner's advice

Post by Jesper(modclubhouse) » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Thanks a million all! As said quite some gold comments here. I'll keep this thread open :)
Right now my set up is:
TipTop Audio Happy Ending Kit (https://bit.ly/tt-hek)
TipTop Audio ONE Sample Player (https://bit.ly/tiptopONE)
TipTop Audio Z2040 Lowpass Filter (https://bit.ly/tiptopZ2040)
NANO Modules Ona Multifunction Oscillator (https://bit.ly/nano-ona)

So I will still need to find the right sequencer for me, as well as VCAs, mixer and envelopes/functions/modulators.

I also bought the Cre8Audio NiftyBundle that I still need to review.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:45 pm

Val wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:29 pm
1 don't watch the "start your eurorack videos" its pointless, modular is a way to get a one off instrument, YOU decide what's inside (but i already knew that)
2 go to a shop and try stuff (I always do that when I'm in a city i don't know)
3 learn to solder or go doepfer!

also, just sell everything else
haha

1 yes - and because they show you how too be an influencer with a beauty case not a modular synthesist
2 yes - hands on is always best - a shop or festival or find a friend
3 learn to solder and always look at how things work - a lot of complex/expensive modules can be effectively built (or just replaced) with Doepfer

I used to have more guitars and 2 basses not 1! but now I haz modular video synthesizer!

false but also true!

absolutely false because I basically got the Random*Source modules at half the price, but I took a lot of time sourcing parts and all.
I have a 14€ soldering iron, does the job. tools for DIYing modules are cheap. 10€ multimeter ... I even was lucky enough to find a 20€ fluke 200MHZ 4 channel combinoscope (analog / digital) just look around
DIY IS CHEAPER (if you're ready to spend a lot of your spare time, for me it's a hobby, I like it)

I also DIYed my case and it cost me approximatively 1000€, but it's 104HP 18U with a TOTL PSU.

It's true because since you feel you save money you buy more panel and PCB and build a lot. but in my case I had a clear plan of what I want to do, not just buying random kits on Thonk.
you're absolutely right that DIY can save you money on individual modules and cases

I'm just not convinced, at all, that it really saves money, especially in the long term - the modular expands to it's budget - whether the cases and modules are bought or built is irrelevant

after 5 years I have a roughly 50/50 split between DIY and bought for modules and 2/3rds DIY for cases (currently at about 1500hp, including blind panels, diy backlog and a few modules I'm going to buy soon including more diy)

my soldering iron and multimeter cost about the same as yours (although I am seriously thinking of getting a fx888d) and I see it as a hobby too - have modular on in background build modules, test modules, patch newly built modules in - it's fun!
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

Val
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Val » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:25 am

Agawell wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:45 pm
a lot of stuff
We think the same! I insist on Doepfer, always underrated because of shiny "clever modules". I always prefer Doepfer 1- it sounds actually good 2- it's actually modular and 1 knobs per function. Sometimes it's not deep enough though. Good for basic function. Or not so basic like the switches and logic/clock modulators.
Well. Depends on what you're interested in ... Mutable Instrument looks better next to the plant I guess

I understand what you say about DIY, was trying to explain it ... Since you spent less, you're tempted to spend more ... It's consumption time!
But again, just need to have an aim in mind. Mine was to build R*S modules. I bought the R*S modules; I'm building them, that's it.
Be responsible! Or get a wife ...

Super fun indeed to build modular while having the modular self patched. How can it get better? Maybe add a nice beer.
WTB: XAOC: Samara II, Batumi + Poti, Sewastopol II
DIY kits (panel+pcb): Haible Tau phaser, NTO, DUSG, VCFQ
DOEPFER: A-151, A-166, A-160-2, A-185-2, A-156, A-135-1, A-138m, A-184-1, A-141-2, A-110-6

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:04 am

Start with a bigger case than what you thought, but do not get too many modules straight away. It would be too overwhelming to learn them. Plus what you think you want will change drastically from the moment you get a bit of experience, so forget about that dteam modular you made on modulargrid.

Filters are sexy and so are fancy oscillators, but it's all about modulations and VCAs. Get VCAs. A lot. By now you should learn the official modular motto, YOU CANNOT HAVE TOO MANY VCAS.
utility modules are useful. That is why they are called utility modules.
Forget about saving money. You are doomed.
Learn how to hide from your other half your overspending on eurorack stuff.
Last edited by Chopper on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:26 am

I recommend https://synthracks.com/rails-frames for excellent work and quick service - if you can make a simple box, and with a 4 hp power unit and bus board, getting rails and fixings from Synthracks is a really good way to start out or expand into new cases.

Jesper(modclubhouse)
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jesper(modclubhouse) » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:26 am

Thanks again everyone! I've already created a short video on one piece of advice: goals: http://bit.ly/clubhouseshorts2

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:51 am

Read this entire thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43964

Return to “Eurorack Modules”