good low hp VCO to pair with a SSF ZPO?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

phlex
Learning to Wiggle

good low hp VCO to pair with a SSF ZPO?

Post by phlex » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am

Hi there!

I have a SSF Zero Point Oscillator and so far I'm using my Moog Grandmother's oscillators for FM-stuff.
Would like to get another Eurorack VCO to pair with the ZPO.
If rack space and money didn't matter the Synthesis Technology E300 would be nice, I guess.
However, price does matter and rack space is limited, so I'm looking for a low hp VCO. 8hp max.

I was looking at the Doepfer A-111-3. Thought it would be perfect for the task at only 4hp and very affordable, too.
Was just about to order it when I checked its depth and realized it wouldn't fit into my skiff :bang:

Two other VCOs that caught my attention are
· Instruo Ts-L (2020) at 6hp. Seems to be pretty versatile, too
· Bubblesound VCO b

What do you guys think about those options under the given circumstances and what other options would you recommend?
Regarding the ZPO's potential I've only scratched the surface so far. Not enough experience to tell which VCO it would pair well with...

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Re: good low hp VCO to pair with a SSF ZPO?

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am

phlex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phlex » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:42 pm

transistorresistor wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=246845
Thanks, I read this already but it's more general.
I especially wondered which one might be the most suited to tap the ZPO's full potential.
Read it once again, though, and added three more VCOs to the list of candidates:

· Noise Engineering Sinc Iter (there's a used one on offer in my region atm)
· Noise Reap Paradox (attractive price)
· Addac 701 Rev2

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Something that can produce a nice clean sine wave is always nice for FM. This is typically achieved with a self oscillating filter, or a digital sine wave module. Most oscillators have to do some waveshaping from a saw or triangle wave to a sine wave and may not produce a clean sine.

Another thing to consider is an oscillator that has sync, as well as an FM input. This way you can do some interesting cross modulation.

Raindeer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:52 pm

Nano ONA would work well for this. Always good to have a Sin output and an octave knob. 8hp.

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:56 pm

On that thread the Instruo is mentioned often I think for good reason.

Intellijel Dixie II+ is also well regarded for good reason.

If you had more space Generate 3 is a masterpiece.

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:03 pm

I'd go Noise Reap Paradox or Generate 3 if you have the space, as klstay said.

jingo
Common Wiggler

Post by jingo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:07 pm

Befaco even vco

ŘłB23³
Common Wiggler

Post by ŘłB23³ » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Cant go wrong w Tsl, the Dixie II is quite nice as well. Given a choice I'd go w the instruo

Polarflux
Common Wiggler

Post by Polarflux » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:12 pm

The Electrosmith 3340 is really good, and you can build it cheap. I have one, and while it does not have the cleanest sine wave, in my opinion it sounds nice.
Reality is whatever refuses to go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K. Dick

phlex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phlex » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:34 am

Thanks, some good advice there!
Also the hint about the clean sine waves.
I tried it already with my filter and it's great but seeing that it's the only filter in my little rack so far I wouldn't want to sacrifice it as a modulator.
Of course, a second filter instead of a VCO would be an option.
My Grandmother doesn't do sine waves (well, actually the LFO does) so I definitely should look for a VCO that does nice sines.
I've read that the Bubblesound VCO b does a good job in that regard, too.
The Noise Reap Paradox doesn't seem to do sine, that would take it out of the equation.
I've narrowed it down to 4 now, all of them providing sync and fm inputs:

· Instruo Ts-L (2020)
· Bubblesound VCO b
· Befaco Even
· Nano Ona

I guess the most versatile one would be the Instruo. (?)
Anyone able to compare those or some of those regarding sine purity and tracking?

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:14 am

You may want to consider a Sinc Iter if you can find one. It’s digital but has a clean sine from what I remember, and a 23 octave range, with sync and a phase modulation input. I regret selling mine. It’s also 4 hp. It doesn’t have an FM input but you could use volt per octave input I suppose.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:56 am

I've got both a Sinc Iter and a VCOb.

Sinc Iter's sine is certainly clean, but doesn't have much "character" to put it subjectively. Sounds fine. Mine is not leaving my rack.

The VCOb sine is not clean by comparison, but has a really pleasant dusty vintage-y quality to my ears. I'd sooner use it for audio than modulation, personally. My VCOb is an older model, so I'm not sure if this has changed since.

I'll never stop saying that for modulation and occasional audio duties I have two Zlob Dual VCOs (4hp)--their waveforms are *not* clean by any means, but I don't want them to be. That oddness adds interesting stuff to audio-rate modulation.

I can't speak to the Dixie, but there are plenty of good things out there about it.

Two additional analog oscs I am aware have clean sines are the Vermona uniCYCLE (which I own--very clean and lovely-sounding!), and the Spectrum by WMD/SSF which I don't own but has a clean, modern tone to it IMO. Both are 10hp IIRC.

aandreari
Common Wiggler

Post by aandreari » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:21 pm

phlex wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am
Hi there!

I have a SSF Zero Point Oscillator and so far I'm using my Moog Grandmother's oscillators for FM-stuff.
Would like to get another Eurorack VCO to pair with the ZPO.
If rack space and money didn't matter the Synthesis Technology E300 would be nice, I guess.
However, price does matter and rack space is limited, so I'm looking for a low hp VCO. 8hp max.

I was looking at the Doepfer A-111-3. Thought it would be perfect for the task at only 4hp and very affordable, too.
Was just about to order it when I checked its depth and realized it wouldn't fit into my skiff :bang:

Two other VCOs that caught my attention are
· Instruo Ts-L (2020) at 6hp. Seems to be pretty versatile, too
· Bubblesound VCO b

What do you guys think about those options under the given circumstances and what other options would you recommend?
Regarding the ZPO's potential I've only scratched the surface so far. Not enough experience to tell which VCO it would pair well with...
that's the main problem with doepfer slim modules, they are too deep to fit in skiffs. anyway you have plenty of option in 8hp: i tried several vco under 8hp and at the moment my favourite are: bastl tromso and zlob dual VCO, both of them are fully analog and they have cool features, as well they are available as diy kit that in my opinion is always great.

the best option for an analog oscillator in 8 hp is befaco even VCO.

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 pm

aandreari wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:21 pm
Like many Befaco designs this VCO is well featured, elegant and a relatively good bargain. However, for some (myself included) I personally would either cobble up the extra dosh for a Ts-L OR the extra dosh and space for an E-300 depending on how bad I wanted onboard folding or not for that module. At that point I would also be in shouting range of a Generate 3...
:hihi:
What a great world we live in - so many awesome VCOs and everything else to choose from.

phlex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phlex » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm

aandreari wrote:
Would you prefer it over a Dixie?
Dixie (II+) is recommended a lot and one certainly can't go wrong with it but my issue with it is, I'd need a black panel for it. Some might call me bonkers for that, others will understand... I'm not as obsessive about it if it's clearly the best choice but if there's equal options it is a criterion for me.

Now if any one wanted to get rid of one of the few Dixie II+ Grayscale panels that seem to be out there, feel free to contact me :yay:

phlex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phlex » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:31 pm

klstay wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 pm
Like many Befaco designs this VCO is well featured, elegant and a relatively good bargain. However, for some (myself included) I personally would either cobble up the extra dosh for a Ts-L OR the extra dosh and space for an E-300 depending on how bad I wanted onboard folding or not for that module. At that point I would also be in shouting range of a Generate 3...
E-300 and Generate 3 would be nice but too big in my case.
Ts-L would fit well and at the same time be more versatile than the Even, I guess. I wonder how their sine waves and tracking compare (I guess the Even has the edge in the latter).

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:07 pm

If tracking as a modulator is a primary consideration and other features are less important that can certainly impact the choice. I am no fan of menus and functions. At the same time I prefer function generators to envelope generators. As such, while the Instruo Ceis and Klavis Quadigy each have features not found on the other I went with the latter and will be adding a second. Initial build quality is top notch.

Similarly, the Twin Waves is digital and "divey" in nature. (The navigation looks to be as well conceived as the Quadigy, so at least there is that) With my current (E370, ENOSC, Plaits, Rings) and planned (Generate 3, Trident) "sources" one is not on my roadmap. However, as a "somewhat dedicated" modulator for the ZPO it should track very well along with doing a LOT more as long as you are OK with menus.

aandreari
Common Wiggler

Post by aandreari » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:31 pm

phlex wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm
aandreari wrote:
Would you prefer it over a Dixie?
Dixie (II+) is recommended a lot and one certainly can't go wrong with it but my issue with it is, I'd need a black panel for it. Some might call me bonkers for that, others will understand... I'm not as obsessive about it if it's clearly the best choice but if there's equal options it is a criterion for me.

Now if any one wanted to get rid of one of the few Dixie II+ Grayscale panels that seem to be out there, feel free to contact me :yay:
I would totally prefer an even vco to a dixie II, and guess what? it's already black pannel so you don't have to look for a new panel.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”