recording sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

recording sequencer

Post by tsope » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:18 pm

I am looking for a recording sequencer,
Basically, there are alot of fun sequencers that just don't have presets, or, really deep sequencers that are not fun.
So i am looking to mix both worlds.
Been looking at the Eloquencer and Hermod .
Any recommendations?
Any other sequencers that can record cv and gates? the simpler the better ;)
thanks and have a great one

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: recording sequencer

Post by Zymos » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:31 pm

What do you mean by “record”? Like you play a keyboard and it records the pitches and gates into the sequencer in real time?

ljwall83
Common Wiggler

Post by ljwall83 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:33 pm

I've not really used this feature so can't speak to it's ease or depth but the ER-101/ER-102 combo can record gates and CV..

jube
Common Wiggler

Post by jube » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:33 pm

I bought a Hermod just for this! I wanted to record quantized permutation seq output as phrases.

I think I used it once… I might just have too much fun with chaining the MIDI effects.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:43 pm

Zymos wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:31 pm
What do you mean by “record”? Like you play a keyboard and it records the pitches and gates into the sequencer in real time?
I mean, as a way to record other sequencers who don't save sequences on their own

Loudspirits
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Loudspirits » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:45 pm

+1 for hermod. It serves a lot of puposes in my rack

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:45 pm

jube wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:33 pm
I bought a Hermod just for this! I wanted to record quantized permutation seq output as phrases.

I think I used it once… I might just have too much fun with chaining the MIDI effects.
why did you used it only once if you bought it just for this, did you had any problems?

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:49 pm

Loudspirits wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:45 pm
+1 for hermod. It serves a lot of puposes in my rack
yep, it looks great for the job, and don't take up alot of space,
how is it in recording from other sequencers?

jube
Common Wiggler

Post by jube » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 pm

tsope wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:45 pm
jube wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:33 pm

why did you used it only once if you bought it just for this, did you had any problems?
Not at all, I kinda just stopped using my Permutation as a source for pitch CV and started using the note effects in the Hermod (Harmonizer, Arpeggiator, Chance). Hermod became my main sequencer.

However, I’m moving more and more out of Hermod now. I just got a Doboz TSNM, and all my Hermod outputs go to precision adders so I can transpose Hermod tracks with other Hermod tracks (without latency). I’m also looking for a dedicated clock module. Maybe then I’ll use the record function more.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:37 pm

Westlicht Performer for certain.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm

jube wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 pm
all my Hermod outputs go to precision adders so I can transpose Hermod tracks with other Hermod tracks (without latency)
i was wondering why do you use a precision adder to transpose,
does the hermod transpose really have latency problem?
how bad is it?

jube
Common Wiggler

Post by jube » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:55 pm

tsope wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm
jube wrote:
all my Hermod outputs go to precision adders so I can transpose Hermod tracks with other Hermod tracks (without latency)
how bad is it?
I think the most obvious way to patch a transpose in Hermod would be to route CV to MIDI Root note with the mod matrix. The drawback however with this setup is that this CV value is read at the start of a note in the track you want to transpose. If both notes start at the same beat, the CV value of the transpose track does not move the MIDI Root note in time, because they happen at the same time.

This means that the latency is the time between the note start of the transpose track and the note start of the track to be transposed, but always larger than 0.

A precision adder will continuously offset the voltage, so if there would be a lag you would hear something akin to a tied note.
Last edited by jube on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm

jube wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:55 pm
tsope wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm
jube wrote:
how bad is it?
I think the most obvious way to patch a transpose in Hermod would be to route CV to MIDI Root note with the mod matrix. The drawback however with this setup is that this CV value is read at the start of a note in the track you want to transpose. If both notes start at the same beat, the CV value of the transpose track does not move the MIDI Root note in time, because they happen at the same time.

A precision adder will continuously offset the voltage, so if there would be a lag you would here something akin to a tied note.

Does this make sense?
I was wondering what you meant regarding latency in transposing, but I suppose that makes sense. I haven't had any issues in that regard, but I usually use the Hermod to record Marbles' output and will send gates to Hermod to transpose without issue. Probably depends on what sort of sequence you're using.

Anyway, for the OP's use I'd highly recommend Hermod.

jube
Common Wiggler

Post by jube » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:04 pm

xcc wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm
I was wondering what you meant regarding latency in transposing, but I suppose that makes sense. I haven't had any issues in that regard, but I usually use the Hermod to record Marbles' output and will send gates to Hermod to transpose without issue. Probably depends on what sort of sequence you're using.
What mod matrix destination are you using for transposing?
Or are your marbles gates always just fast?

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm

jube wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:55 pm

This means that the latency is the time between the note start of the transpose track and the note start of the track to be transposed, but always larger than 0.

A precision adder will continuously offset the voltage, so if there would be a lag you would hear something akin to a tied note.
thanks men, that was a clear answer!

i am planning to have 2x Joranalogue Add 2 so i guess i'll just won't use the transpose option on hermod,
apart from that it seems perfect for the job

jube
Common Wiggler

Post by jube » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:16 pm

tsope wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm
thanks men, that was a clear answer!

i am planning to have 2x Joranalogue Add 2 so i guess i'll just won't use the transpose option on hermod,
apart from that it seems perfect for the job
You're welcome! I bought two LPZW WK1 (http://leipzigwest.org/?page_id=39) Aroom config for this.
I route tracks 2, 3 and 4 to the first WK1 inputs 1, 2 and 3 respectively and transpose with track 5 to input T. Then the output T goes to input T of the second WK1 with tracks 6, 7 and 8 on that one's inputs 1, 2 and 3. Currently I'm not using track 1 of the Hermod to transpose because that is my clock, but I suppose that would make more sense

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:28 pm

jube wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:16 pm

You're welcome! I bought two LPZW WK1 (http://leipzigwest.org/?page_id=39) Aroom config for this.
I route tracks 2, 3 and 4 to the first WK1 inputs 1, 2 and 3 respectively and transpose with track 5 to input T. Then the output T goes to input T of the second WK1 with tracks 6, 7 and 8 on that one's inputs 1, 2 and 3. Currently I'm not using track 1 of the Hermod to transpose because that is my clock, but I suppose that would make more sense
nice, the Joranalogue is alot the same, and same size.
but apart for adding the Joranalogue can average too, but the Aroom config sure looks awesome,
so many options, but since it's so small maybe i'll just get both :hihi:

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 pm

jube wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:04 pm
xcc wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm
What mod matrix destination are you using for transposing?
Or are your marbles gates always just fast?
At the moment I have Marbles X1 and Y1 into Hermod’s CV ins and sending CV from Pamela’s to change the MIDI Root Note parameter. Even with super fast notes from Marbles it keeps up. I haven’t tried it with the Scales plugin and transpose parameter since I usually have an Intellijel Scales after Marbles for that. But I’m gonna have to mess with that now.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”