Rack advice - am I modulation heavy?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Bregnier
Learning to Wiggle

Rack advice - am I modulation heavy?

Post by Bregnier » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm

6BC9BEE4-8B48-4DE7-869B-F0DC9D74311F.jpeg
This is my current rack, which is paired with a Minibrute 2S that I use as a whole voice / sequencer. I put this together primarily interested in playing with microsound/samples and pings from the modal engine in rings and/or filters. It’s good at this but I’m realizing I often have way more modulation pathways than are strictly necessary for a given patch. I’m wondering if I should swap something out for an additional voice or utility. There’s also that 7hp left over- was interested in an FH-2 to bring MIDI linkage to my other gear but I’m 1 measly HP short. Give me any suggestions on additions/swaps/directions I can take this lil’ guy.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Rack advice - am I modulation heavy?

Post by Agawell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:36 pm

personally I'd drop O&C in favour of a matrix mixer

if you don't need midi all the time then I'd just get the midi expander for disting (or diy one into the case!)

or spend the money on another case and don't have issues fitting modules into cases for a while!
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:44 pm

Bregnier wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm
I’m realizing I often have way more modulation pathways than are strictly necessary for a given patch.
I would not say this amount of modulation is excessive at all. It looks pretty good.

I don't think I would go with O+C, and probably not Pam's either to start; between Stages and Marbles and the Disting you have a couple of ways to divide/multiply clocks and sync things to them.

I would say, don't worry about what else you want to get yet, start with a few modules that you're sure about and see where that takes you.

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:34 pm

Bregnier wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm
6BC9BEE4-8B48-4DE7-869B-F0DC9D74311F.jpeg

This is my current rack, which is paired with a Minibrute 2S that I use as a whole voice / sequencer. I put this together primarily interested in playing with microsound/samples and pings from the modal engine in rings and/or filters. It’s good at this but I’m realizing I often have way more modulation pathways than are strictly necessary for a given patch. I’m wondering if I should swap something out for an additional voice or utility. There’s also that 7hp left over- was interested in an FH-2 to bring MIDI linkage to my other gear but I’m 1 measly HP short. Give me any suggestions on additions/swaps/directions I can take this lil’ guy.
I wouldn't say you're modulation heavy necessarily, but I do think you're lacking modules that let you take several modulation sources and mutate them or cross modulate them in interesting ways. You're really lacking things like switches, rectifiers, comparators, s&h logic, etc.

I would drop O_c and Pam's and add Joranalogue Select 2 (switches, VC offset, s&h) and Mannequins Cold Mac (rectifiers, logic, other stuff...)

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:35 pm

Agree with dropping OC and/or Pam's - looks pretty good as is.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 pm

not modulation heavy at all. looks good to me. I'd personally want another filter, maybe something 6 hp?

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 am

I’d agree with the other posters and say that both o+c and pams is a bit much but I’d say it would be good to keep one. Out of the two my vote is to keep pams since it’s a great source of clocked synced modulation which I’ve found invaluable in my own case.

As for what to replace it with, I’d say a logic, utility, mixer, or comparator module would be a good thing to add to free up maths for other things.

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:47 am

looks like the right amount to me too!

Bregnier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bregnier » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:02 pm

I’m sorry but I’m already too attached to the PNW- good advice for the Compare 2!

Zeta fxn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zeta fxn » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:44 pm

My heart always falls in my chest when I see someone say "get rid of the O&C." DON't get rid of it! I love modulation! I use chaos in almost every patch I make, either from O&C (Hemisphere Suite) or from my beloved Nonlinearcircuits Sloth modules (1U). My advice is to keep your O&C and add ochd! And yes, another filter (I like 2hp MMF when space is tight). I have O&C and PNW and use them both in patches most of the time.

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:00 pm

There is nothing like too much modulation in my book when you are into the modular world, as it is what makes it interesting/different from "normal" synthesizers. But if you want to get the most of it, then VCAs have to be involved aplenty, and this is definitely what I would get. Learn about the use of vcas in modulation if you are not sure of the whole point, and then you'll realise that your case so far is not bad at all😊

Return to “Eurorack Modules”