using guitar pedals with eurorack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

woodteeth
Wiggling with Experience

using guitar pedals with eurorack

Post by woodteeth » Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 am

hey everyone-
i think i have a handle on this but i just wanted to make sure:

if i wanted use a delay pedal with my eurorack, i could put the signal IN to the pedal no problem, but if i want to bring it back into the signal chain on the modular i would need to amplify it. the modules that currently do this are:
stilton adapter
doepfer effect insert

and upcoming are:
circuit abbey gozinta (although this is line level? is that enough amplification?)
touell skarn TE ZO KANT

right?

however if i just wanted to run the end of the signal chain thru a pedal i could send it out to the pedal and then into my mixer, with some gain.

would i need to attenuate the signal from the synth before it gets to the pedal?

thanks for any help!

Mitchk1989
*Probably* not a cyborg.

Re: using guitar pedals with eurorack

Post by Mitchk1989 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 am

woodteeth wrote: would i need to attenuate the signal from the synth before it gets to the pedal?
Depends on the pedal really.

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 am

I am figuring this same thing out myself. Here's what I think I've figured
out so far.

The modular signals are hotter than line level and instrument level (hi-Z) signals, so you will probably have to attentuate on the way out of the modular. Some pedals can accept line level signals where others only instrument level, so you can run into problems with unwanted distortion and impedence mismatch that will cause "tone suck".

I think the Stilton adapter is specifically designed to get instrument level signals in and out of the modular world, but it is pretty big and expensive, so not an immediately obvious solution. I saw something being talked about from Intellijel that had a whole bunch level settings but unfortunately it seemed to only be in planning stages.

Interested to find out what you figure out on this one.

-TL

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 am

The stilton is worth it if you have 4 pedals, otherwise I would recommend the doepfer.

woodteeth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woodteeth » Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 am

well, i have a couple pedals i want to try out, and i have an uATT, and i have a nice mixer. so we'll see where we get with that.

i also have aux sends on my mixer, which is another option, i suppose. i would like to do something simple that could insert a pedal in the signal chain and not just at the end.

i am most interested in the GOZINTA...for the small size.
ratroute.bandcamp.com

woodteeth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woodteeth » Thu May 05, 2011 10:38 am

stilton is HUGE, hp wise, and is kinda $$$.

don't get me wrong, i love harvestman.
ratroute.bandcamp.com

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 am

I don't run my pedals back into my modular much, but I dump the modular into the pedals all the time. I use a Malekko Output currently, though really any attenuator will be fine, and much of the time I'm not attenuating at all. Then from the pedal it goes to the audio interface and record. Always sounds great.
My EHX delay pedals pretty much send out the level that's sent in, so running them back through the modular would not be a problem.
I also use them through a send/return channel on a little outboard mixer that works well. Probably takes care of any impedence issues too, though I don't know much about impedence.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

woodteeth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woodteeth » Thu May 05, 2011 10:47 am

oh, that's cool...the pedal i want to use is the EHX stereo memory man!

also i think i wanna use it to do some ping-ponging...so that would head straight out to the mixer anyway.
ratroute.bandcamp.com

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Thu May 05, 2011 10:49 am

The stilton is smaller and cheaper than using four doepfer A-138ds, but that's only if you really need to interface 4 pedals. You can certainly use the uATT and the gozinta, although you don't get the crossfade functionality, which may or may not be important to you.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Thu May 05, 2011 10:53 am

woodteeth wrote:oh, that's cool...the pedal i want to use is the EHX stereo memory man!

also i think i wanna use it to do some ping-ponging...so that would head straight out to the mixer anyway.
Great pedal.
If you solder, it can fairly easily be modified to take tap-tempos from the modular, and you can add an easier-to-handle loop switch as well. I hoped to make the loop function able to switch on and off with gates but no luck. Yet.

woodteeth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woodteeth » Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 pm

i.e. you could sync the delay to a clock?

wow, really? are there instructions online?
ratroute.bandcamp.com

ping panic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ping panic » Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

I've used some delay and reverb pedals with the eurocracker.
Yep, you have to attenuate the signal, I usually used both channels of the classic doepfer dual attenuator for the last knob to have more room to play.

Modular + reverb is a fuckin awesome combo.
And if you can modulate the verb is just heaven.

If anybody is thinking about a pedal, check the hall of fame!
I don't have any gear

amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

Post by amsonx » Thu May 05, 2011 1:48 pm

I use an Doepfer A-119 with the original op-amp to get the pedal into the modular and i'm quite satisfied.
For the output i use VCA-> analog mixer ->pedals
FS (EU) Roland R8 MKII perfect condition

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Thu May 05, 2011 2:41 pm

woodteeth wrote:i.e. you could sync the delay to a clock?

wow, really? are there instructions online?
:hyper: :sb:

I've been meaning to post something here or my website about it for a few months now. I'll see if I can put together a little video demo today or real soon.

I got it from Rechner7 via Nav's website here. There are two posts here, one is about the DMMB and the other is the SMMH. Similar modifications, both fairly simple. I figured it out by taking the back off of mine and looking closely at the photos. The most basic basic of mods would be a simple jack wired to the tap-tempo switch with a transistor between them to keep from the switch voltage from heading back to the modular. But especially with the SMMH, that leads to a pretty boring on-beat delay so there are two more jacks with a switch between them. I usually have the main clock fed into input A, and then either multiplied clock, or some LFO at a different speed, or Noisering, fed into B and C. The switch there switches between B and C so you always have the main sync'd clock and then whatever in between. The other stuff in the mod that you see is to turn on the loop mode, and a high pass filter circuit to keep the A-B-C inputs from accidentally turning on loop mode. Mine still does now and then so I need to fix that.

I just my DMMB two weeks ago and am waiting til the Pittsburgh Delay comes out before I hack into it. I may not keep it.

I can get more into specifics if you want, drop me a PM.

polyroy
Ambient Wiggler

Post by polyroy » Thu May 05, 2011 6:20 pm

A119 is always a good bet. I'd imagine if your delay repeats were hot enough, you can then use the envelope follower to get some pretty interesting rhythmic stuff. Might try this myself when I get my GT8 back!

mantiwhore
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore » Thu May 05, 2011 6:39 pm

any idea what parameters a DIY op-amp circuit should meet to bring back the pedal signal to modular level?
Xaoc Devices | Leidforschung Verlag | Instagram | Facebook
WTB/T: Livewire Chaos Computer, Kilpatrick Dual VCO, Dewanatron Triple Slice, Nord A1R, Elektron SPS-1 UW+ II

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Thu May 05, 2011 7:32 pm

I use a bunch of pedals with a Doepfer A-138d. I think it's a great module. It has an attenuator for the 1/4" output, an amplifier for the 1/4" input and a wet/dry control that can crossfade between the input signal and the return signal.

With all the patch points it can also be used as an external feedback loop for whatever pedal you're using. In this configuration the mute switch can be really handy. :tu:
"Thank god for the drugs and drums." El-P
3amNoise | Synth Videos

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Sun May 15, 2011 8:46 pm

woodteeth, in case you're still watching this thread, I posted an entry and a video on my site about the EHX SMMH mod I described above.

Click it here.

goomba
Common Wiggler

Post by goomba » Sun May 15, 2011 10:33 pm

If I want to run my 808 through some filters in my modular do I need to use something like an A-119? Or can I just run the output of the 808 into a uatt then into the module?

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Sun May 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Depends I guess on whether the 808 needs to be attenuated or amplified. In any case you probably have a volume control on the 808 so that would negate the need for the µatt.

I've never had any problems running line-levels directly into the modular. This includes a Machinedrum and some other stuff.

goomba
Common Wiggler

Post by goomba » Sun May 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks!

Floyd Pepper
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Floyd Pepper » Mon May 16, 2011 3:30 am

any idea what parameters a DIY op-amp circuit should meet to bring back the pedal signal to modular level?
Here's what you need http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs60_sba.html

tigersi
Common Wiggler

Post by tigersi » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:15 pm

Just bumping this thread because I’m trying to find out if I can use guitar pedals in the chain? Not always at the end of the chain.

If I did, would I need to attenuate the level down going out then re-attenuate coming back in?
Extra question on this: attenuating or re-amping could this be done with a VCA or am I best just using C2/3 of maths or my Triplatt?

Thank you to anyone for reading this and more so if you can possibly help. :help:
Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.

We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.

abelovesfun
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by abelovesfun » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:43 pm

tigersi wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:15 pm
Just bumping this thread because I’m trying to find out if I can use guitar pedals in the chain? Not always at the end of the chain.

If I did, would I need to attenuate the level down going out then re-attenuate coming back in?
Extra question on this: attenuating or re-amping could this be done with a VCA or am I best just using C2/3 of maths or my Triplatt?

Thank you to anyone for reading this and more so if you can possibly help. :help:

You need to attenuate x20 going into the pedal and then amplify x20 going back into modular.
Most VCAs can't do anywhere near x20 gain for re-amping, so I suggest a specialty circuit like my AI006 or another.
https://aisynthesis.com/product/ai006-e ... x-adapter/

Here is a video showing the difference:
Super Easy, Awesome DIY kits @ http://www.aisynthesis.com
modular ambient and composery music @ http://www.forcedamage.com/
https://www.facebook.com/forcedamagemusic

tigersi
Common Wiggler

Post by tigersi » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:58 pm

Thank you so much for your advice and your video.
So for each voice I wanted to use a pedal on I would need One of these for each. Is that correct. Sorry if this seems like an obvious thing to you
Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.

We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”