Just got a Noisering, but can't get it to work

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Just got a Noisering, but can't get it to work

Post by starmandeluxe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi all,
I am really new to this site and modulars, and I need some help with my eurorack.
I just bought a used Noisering and when it arrived, it doesn't seem to power on :waah: (I noticed there are two connections, a small one and the other standard 16-pin). Using the smaller one (as that was the cable that came with it), I tried to power it on with my TipTop uZeus and no lights come on, and no output.

I tested my other modules and they work fine, although if the Noisering is connected on the same bus as the others they will also not function (i.e. my Doepfer A-111-5 powers on but no output). I am thoroughly confused and hope that the Noisering isn't DOA. I hope someone can help me out. :woah:

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Thats strange indeed mate! What other modules are connected please and do you know their current draw? What is your PSU rated for in mA?

Hopefully, its just a strained PSU - happened to me with two Doepfer VCAs, thought Id broken them in some way but moved them to another bus board and they were fine.

:tu:

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Post by starmandeluxe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:52 pm

It's rated 2000mA (PSU picture here http://www.tiptopaudio.com/blag/2010/10 ... p#comments)

I tried connecting solely the Noisering and nothing else and same problem, no leds come on or anything. When I get home later I need to check if the cable is on in the correct direction I think. That, and some people suggested adjusting the trimpot on the back to get noise output.

futureworlder
taking tiger mountain

Post by futureworlder » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:07 pm

it's most likely cable orientation; if there are no leds lit (noisering puts on quite a lightshow) or other signs of life, indicating a power issue, adjusting the trimpot (an audio issue) won't solve your problem.

Malekko modules put the negative power rail on the outside (lefthand) or the bottom, so you want to make sure that the red stripe is either on the left, or the bottom of the header. red stripe to negative rail on the busboard to negative rail on the module.
opsysbug wrote:Please tell me they like each other so I can go try to scramble up yet another 3K of my retirement funds to waste on blinking leds and motorcycle sounds.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi starmandeluxe!

That sounds like it should handle a few modules indeed! Humm... not really familiar with the Noisering meself but the next thing I could think would be that you mentioned two cables... I hope someone with a Noisering can chime in here on that part...

Actually looking at Noisering pix on google - none of the ones I spotted have any indication of where the power connects to or which end is -12v

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Post by starmandeluxe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 pm

That did it!! It was the cable orientation. I officially love you guys. :bananaguitar:
Thanks for the solution futureworlder. I feel like a dumbass but then again if you don't know something, then you don't know. There is much noise to be made now.

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Definitely take caution in the future when plugging modules in, many manufacturers don't have circuit protection and you can destroy a module instantly by plugging it in wrong.
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Excellent! Glad you had a happy ending - have fun!

If you dont know, how you gonna find out unless you ask! Woo Hoo!

As John said tho - the majority of modules will instantly fry if you plug them in backwards - just be careful mate!

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:40 pm

:eurosmoke:

you're honestly lucky to have avoided magic smoke
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Post by starmandeluxe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:20 pm

I know, I definitely did read about the importance of cable orientation, but it was a while back and I completely didn't think of it getting so excited about trying my new modules :bang: :ripbanana:

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Post by starmandeluxe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi everyone, I think I still may have problems here...the demos I have seen are producing random sequences and the center leds are all lighting up, but mine isn't doing that at all...am I using it wrong or...?

dualmono
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dualmono » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:25 pm

You may have set clock to external clock and no clock connected or it is damaged due to misorientation of the ribbon cable from before.

I hope it is not magic smoke after all.
Good luck.
ImageImageImageImage

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Post by starmandeluxe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:54 pm

I tried both clock modes and nothing...I think I messed it up after all...oh my god. Is it possible to send it for repairs?

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Post by starmandeluxe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:55 pm

All the leds come on when it is first powered on and then the middle ones disappear. I'm not sure if that means anything.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Contact malekko heavy industry.
Did you buy it new or second hand?

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Post by starmandeluxe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Used. I already sent them a message. I can only pray now. :waah:

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:10 am

No need to pray, you'll be fine.
May just need to send it it back, pay a little money and wait a couple of weeks.
Don't sweat it, many people on this forum have fried modules, including myself.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:24 am

Where in Ca are you? I'm in sf and would take a look at it if ya want if yr in the bay. Otherwise I'd say to actually call Josh from Malekko, he's really a nice guy. Calling is the best way to get in touch with him, the number is on their webpage. Good luck.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:49 am

Soy Sos wrote:No need to pray, you'll be fine.
May just need to send it it back, pay a little money and wait a couple of weeks.
Don't sweat it, many people on this forum have fried modules, including myself.
I Have too. It cost me $6 :D

Dont get too worked up, it might not be that bad.
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Post by starmandeluxe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:42 am

Wow, so these things can be fixed? I thought it was all over :deadbanana:

I'm in SoCal (lived in the bay for a little bit couple years ago, Berkeley was a place I visited often), so we'll see what Josh says. Thanks for sticking with me on this one, I would have been nowhere otherwise. :hail:

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:48 am

Im just recovering from frying my Rene which Tony fixed up for me!

:tu:

We have all done it mate!

starmandeluxe
Common Wiggler

Josh fixed it!

Post by starmandeluxe » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Hey guys, just an update to wrap this one up, I did as you said and sent it to Malekko and it was just delivered back today. I connected it *carefully* this time and everything works beautifully. A lightshow and randomness and everything I could ask for. Thanks all for helping me and thanks to Josh and MHI for fixing it!! I am so relieved! :stardance:

bentoncbainbridge
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:43 pm

futureworlder wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:07 pm
it's most likely cable orientation; if there are no leds lit (noisering puts on quite a lightshow) or other signs of life, indicating a power issue, adjusting the trimpot (an audio issue) won't solve your problem.

Malekko modules put the negative power rail on the outside (lefthand) or the bottom, so you want to make sure that the red stripe is either on the left, or the bottom of the header. red stripe to negative rail on the busboard to negative rail on the module.
I just got my NoiseRing back from Malekko repair ($20 bench fee and fast turn-around, thanks!), then searched for instructions on how to plug in the power cable. Followed this advice and... no LEDs lit, only a burning smell. I quickly killed the power, then plugged in the power cable with the red striped facing IN/RIGHT... and thankfully the module appears to function.

Malekko, I appreciate the fast and cheap service, but why not simply label your voltage and/or use keyed connectors so we don't burn out our modules? Wouldn't that be easier for everyone?
AV improvisation with modular synths, hacked Vectrex, musical saw and FX pedals. Rue Bainbridge: Here Come the Wormholes

Return to “Eurorack Modules”