Doepfer A-156 Dual Quantizer????

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

sixteen
Wiggling with Experience

Doepfer A-156 Dual Quantizer????

Post by sixteen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:06 am

Hello

I am thinking about picking up one of these, A Uscale would be nice but there out of stock and i think the new one could take some time, Also I have a Rene for my main seq, I just want another quantizer for basic stuff..

any strong opinions on this?

Thanks

Sixteen

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 am

my recommendation since the uscale is the most playable quantizer to me: check da bst
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

polyroy
Ambient Wiggler

Post by polyroy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:18 am

I love the A156. The trigger quantizing functions are brilliant (not sure if the uscale can do this?) and you can really vary the way that the quantizer works that way. Lack of more exotic scales for sure, so it depends if you are after something for doing shit loads of scales or just basic scales with the extra CV options.

Eurofied Blacet miniwave is worth checking out as well with the scale quantizer ROM. Shit loads of scales and you get a wavetable VCO as a stock ROM as well.

artisokka
Veteran Wiggler

Post by artisokka » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 am

Love my a156.

Also: check this out: http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2009 ... -demo.html
dequalsrxt wrote:fat is warmer than digital is analog, except when it's more west than east, in which case cold is the hotness, but not very musical.

papercutnoise
Veteran Wiggler

Post by papercutnoise » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 am

My A-156 gets used in almost every patch. The Trigger in/out options are extremely useful too. Plus you get 2 quantizers in the 1 module. To be honest having both a uScale and an A-156 in one system would be amazing.
Good Transactions with: Pfurmel, Parallel Worlds (x2), Miditerranean, Ping Panic (x2), Soy Sos, jenamu6, READYdot, Poladark, Synesthesia, audioCTRL, dansna, Glitchmachines, RealDudes, wavecircle, msh

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 am

trigger out :tu:
completely wrong minor scale :deadbanana:

i went for the Quantimator

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:53 am

Neo wrote: i went for the Quantimator
been waiting for so long.... out of stock for awhile!

and no uscale either....

:deadbanana:

bryantcheramie
Alopex

Post by bryantcheramie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:10 am

+1 doepfer

hiawog
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hiawog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:21 am

i love my a156. jumper in the back allows both quantizers to be controlled by switches (default is top one always playing semitones). also a very useful s+h in a pinch.

sixteen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sixteen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 am

Nice one guys...

I'm not looking for every scale on the planet, For once ill be sensible and go for the Doepfer....

S

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:50 am

sixteen wrote:Nice one guys...

I'm not looking for every scale on the planet, For once ill be sensible and go for the Doepfer....

S
Good choice. Add a A-183-2 offset attenuator to that to dial in the note ranges. Perfect combo! And cheap! :tu:

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:20 pm

156 is the jam. always used. the trig outs are super cool.

kimu
My Euro dreams of Electric Sheep

Post by kimu » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:53 pm

i am completely satisfied by my A-156.
i understand that compared to quantimator or uscale it may seems basic, but it 's really do it's stuff very well and the trigger out is really nice to have.
also the transposing CV is great when quantizing a ramp or a tri for old-style arpeggios

if you do not need exotic scales to play with, go with the A-156
http://rsto.bandcamp.com/album/constellation my last album in free streaming and download (post-rock / synths / piano)

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedShiftingTheOcean

http://soundcloud.com/kimuz - eurorack sounds

Microscopial
"stripes!!!" what me mmmm

Post by Microscopial » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:59 pm

sorry to derail said thread but im getting people on this and other threads that are coming up as IGNORED but I don't ignore anyone cause I has got too much lurve, what am I doing wrong :tu:
lamond design
"working with wood"

email/ lamonddesign@gmail.com
flickr/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/59671775@N03/
twitter/ lamonddesign http://twitter.com/#!/
facebook/ ross lamond http://www.facebook.com/ross.lamond1 or follow the lamonddesign page
website/ www.lamonddesign.co.uk

50quidsoundboy
beneath the carpet tiles, the beach

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:13 pm

A-156 is a classic

nickster
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nickster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Microscopial wrote:sorry to derail said thread but im getting people on this and other threads that are coming up as IGNORED but I don't ignore anyone cause I has got too much lurve, what am I doing wrong :tu:
I had that for a while. Comes from surfing with a touch screen device. You need to go into your ignored list and unignore.

A-156 is now on my list of future probables. Thanks to the original OP for bringing it to our attention. :nana:

sixteen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sixteen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Video of the A-156

[video][/video]

metallum
Common Wiggler

Post by metallum » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I use 156 along with z8000 and 155/154...its nice but I sow Flame tame maschine quantization possibilites and I'm in love.
Waiting for a package from AH. :banana:

metallum
Common Wiggler

Post by metallum » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:06 pm

I use 156 along with z8000 and 155/154...its nice but I sow Flame tame maschine quantization possibilites and I'm in love.
Waiting for a package from AH. :banana:

automaton
Is It Giblets?!

Post by automaton » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:24 pm

sixteen wrote:Video of the A-156

[video][/video]
That was the video that sold me on one.
Perhaps all pleasure is only relief.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:26 pm

my fav thing about the 156 is the trigger out upon quantize.. i love that.. it's great for that.

wbelote
Common Wiggler

Post by wbelote » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 pm

papercutnoise wrote:My A-156 gets used in almost every patch. The Trigger in/out options are extremely useful too. Plus you get 2 quantizers in the 1 module. To be honest having both a uScale and an A-156 in one system would be amazing.
I've got both and am just barely getting to know them. Is the trigger out on the a-156 some are raving about sending triggers on each note received.
P. Willstar: Making electrons do their part.

artisokka
Veteran Wiggler

Post by artisokka » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:29 am

wbelote wrote:Is the trigger out on the a-156 some are raving about sending triggers on each note received.
From the manual: "Whenever a quantisation happens (i.e. a new voltage is generated at the CV Out) a positive pulse occurs at this output. It may be used to trigger an envelope generator (ADSR) or for triggering other modules (sequential switch A-151, trigger divider/sequencer A-160/161, trigger delay A-162, ...). If none of these functions are used the jack is left open."
dequalsrxt wrote:fat is warmer than digital is analog, except when it's more west than east, in which case cold is the hotness, but not very musical.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 am

wbelote wrote:
papercutnoise wrote:My A-156 gets used in almost every patch. The Trigger in/out options are extremely useful too. Plus you get 2 quantizers in the 1 module. To be honest having both a uScale and an A-156 in one system would be amazing.
I've got both and am just barely getting to know them. Is the trigger out on the a-156 some are raving about sending triggers on each note received.
as I use them the trigger in comes from whatever clock rate or trigger outs from a given seq setup and sometimes use the outs to chase through those clock rate/trigs into another switch to do whatever.
I wouldnt expect the trigger out to work or be useful without an input trigger plugged in. its mainly to sync quantization with note changes.
if im not mistaken.
works pretty darn good and cost effectively.
ive got two and look forward to getting a uscale someday!
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

papercutnoise
Veteran Wiggler

Post by papercutnoise » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:16 am

fireclown wrote:
wbelote wrote:
as I use them the trigger in comes from whatever clock rate or trigger outs from a given seq setup and sometimes use the outs to chase through those clock rate/trigs into another switch to do whatever.
I wouldnt expect the trigger out to work or be useful without an input trigger plugged in. its mainly to sync quantization with note changes.
if im not mistaken.
works pretty darn good and cost effectively.
ive got two and look forward to getting a uscale someday!
Forgive me if I've misunderstood you, but the trigger in and out on the A156 don't have to be linked. If you feed an lfo into the cv in of the A156, every time the quantizer hits a new note it will send a trigger to the trigger out. If you have the same setup but have a trigger feeding in to the trigger in Of the A156, the quantizer will not change note until a trigger in is received.
Good Transactions with: Pfurmel, Parallel Worlds (x2), Miditerranean, Ping Panic (x2), Soy Sos, jenamu6, READYdot, Poladark, Synesthesia, audioCTRL, dansna, Glitchmachines, RealDudes, wavecircle, msh

Return to “Eurorack Modules”