Rebel Technology: Stoicheia

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

jnlkrt

Post by jnlkrt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:53 am

jnlkrt wrote:can anyone give me a detailed descriptive panel rundown? the knobs are explained well on the website, but the jacks?
anyone? :tu:

muncky
Ultra Wiggler

Post by muncky » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:43 am

Just got one of these babies today - plays dreamy with Envelators in delayed cycling mode :yay: Lots of fun to be had. Knobbage is a little tight tho (resisting the urge to immediately Davify...)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:35 pm

jnlkrt wrote:
jnlkrt wrote:can anyone give me a detailed descriptive panel rundown? the knobs are explained well on the website, but the jacks?
Upper socket is reset input. First and last socket (on the line of four sockets) is clock input, when you plug one the other works like a mult of the clock signal. Useful.

The other two remaining sockets (alpha and beta) are the outputs of the processed clock from the alpha part and beta part of the module respectively. If the a+b switch is down the outputs give the same signal.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

jnlkrt

Post by jnlkrt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:50 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
jnlkrt wrote:
Upper socket is reset input. First and last socket (on the line of four sockets) is clock input, when you plug one the other works like a mult of the clock signal. Useful.

The other two remaining sockets (alpha and beta) are the outputs of the processed clock from the alpha part and beta part of the module respectively. If the a+b switch is down the outputs give the same signal.
thanks! did not know about the mult and was confused why there are so many jacks, considering there is no CV control..

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:52 am

You're welcome.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

plastilina
Common Wiggler

Post by plastilina » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:06 pm

hello everyone!. wanted to know if I could add stoichea in to my HEK tiptop composed with optomix-Function-WMD Gamma Wave Source...Thanks to everyone for the advice.

plastilina
Common Wiggler

Post by plastilina » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 am

Up please...

Nuuj
A$$ Wiggler

Post by Nuuj » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 am

plastilina wrote:hello everyone!. wanted to know if I could add stoichea in to my HEK tiptop composed with optomix-Function-WMD Gamma Wave Source...Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Not sure what you are asking.

Stoichea needs a clock to do anything.
Function and Gamma Wave source can output a clock, but I'm not sure what you would do with the output of a stoichea in such a setup.
https://rnuuja.bandcamp.com/album/this- ... oepuss-phd
https://soundcloud.com/r-nuuja
http://www.facebook.com/are.nuuja
http://rnuuja.tumblr.com/

vqlk: "...so seriously - this a forum dedicated to discussing each other's really lame and un-extreme modular synths??!"

mha
Common Wiggler

Post by mha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Nuuj wrote:I'm not sure what you would do with the output of a stoichea in such a setup.
Ping the optomix perhaps?

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:46 am

Beginner question: is there a way to change notes of the oscillators in sync with the rhythms produced by this unit so that that the patterns are melodic as well as rhythmic? Is it possible? What else would I need to do that?

ikkini
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ikkini » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 am

Yes, you need a sample & hold or any kind of sequencer.

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:57 am

I'd need one sequencer per oscillator to get different patterns though, right?

alijamieson
Common Wiggler

Post by alijamieson » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Certainly one of my favourite modules.

One of the pots is quite scratchy though, I've tried taking it off to see what's going on but nothing's obvious. Any suggestions? </vague question>

mars
Common Wiggler

Post by mars » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:32 pm

You can take the trigger output of the Stoicheia straight into a CV input, preferably one with an attenuator so that you can adjust the modulated level. No sample & hold needed.
The high trigger will output apprx 5v, which is about the same as the max level of an envelope.

Or you can feed both trigger outputs into a summer or cv mixer and use for more complex modulation of e.g pitch or filter cutoff frequency.

Another fun way to use the Stoicheia is as a complex suboscillator. Feed an audio signal into the clock input - a clean tri or sine for best results - and get various sub squarewaves from the two triggers.

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:51 pm

S&H would give me a random tone, but could I control specific tones with a sequencer (Renee, say)? Could I control each of the outputs independently with just one sequencer?

Specifically, what I am looking to do is generate polyrhythmic sequences that utilize specific independent melodic patterns, and I'm just trying to get my mind around what all I will need to make that happen.

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:33 pm

alijamieson wrote:Certainly one of my favourite modules.

One of the pots is quite scratchy though, I've tried taking it off to see what's going on but nothing's obvious. Any suggestions? </vague question>
This makes no sense. Stoicheia generates triggers not audio, so how would you even be able to hear that a pot is scratchy?
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Auxiliaryoctopus wrote:S&H would give me a random tone, but could I control specific tones with a sequencer (Renee, say)? Could I control each of the outputs independently with just one sequencer?

Specifically, what I am looking to do is generate polyrhythmic sequences that utilize specific independent melodic patterns, and I'm just trying to get my mind around what all I will need to make that happen.
I'm not too familiar with Rene, but in general you either need one sequencer per voice or you need a sequencer with multiple clock inputs and multiple corresponding outputs like the Z8000. You could feed each Stoicheia output into one of the clock inputs of the Z8000 (one row, one column, or one of the 16 step patterns), and send the output of that row/column/16-step sequence into your oscillator's V/Oct input. Each trigger from the Stoicheia will advance the sequence to the next step.

Any regular sequencer will do this too, you just need two of them. Send the Stoicheia triggers to the clock input so it advances one step with each trigger.

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 pm

albiedamned wrote:

This makes no sense. Stoicheia generates triggers not audio, so how would you even be able to hear that a pot is scratchy?
Depending on the pot, if the resulting Triggers jumped in value by a noticeable amount, you could determine if a pot would be 'scratchy'.

IE: if the Length pot jumped from a short length to the full before going to the next logical value.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:32 am

Thank you Albie, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:10 am

Auxiliaryoctopus wrote:Thank you Albie, that is exactly what I wanted to know.
No problem. I forgot to mention that you would also mult the Stoicheia output into your envelope or strike input. Sorry if that seems obvious, but I thought I'd mention it for completeness.

Here's a track I did a couple weeks ago using pretty much exactly this approach. It's with a Pamela's Workout in Euclidean mode, not a Stoicheia, but same concept.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/171888299" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

mars
Common Wiggler

Post by mars » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:00 am

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
albiedamned wrote:

One of the pots is quite scratchy though </vague question>
This makes no sense.
Depending on the pot, if the resulting Triggers jumped in value by a noticeable amount, you could determine if a pot would be 'scratchy'.
I doubt that would happen. I'd be interested to hear from alijamieson what the problem is.

Perhaps 'scratchy' in the sense that the knob catches on the lock nut underneath? In that case, just use a small screwdriver to undo the set screw in the knob and increase the gap between knob and panel by a fraction.

javierdepascual
Learning to Wiggle

Problem with Stoicheia

Post by javierdepascual » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:38 am

Hi guys,

My Stoicheia module is acting weird. All three LED lights turn on and they don't turn off or change whenever I plug in any jack on the inputs. Did anybody else have that problem? I've emailed Martin from Rebel but after I've answered his first question I didn't get any more answers.

Can anybody please help me?

mars
Common Wiggler

Post by mars » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:20 am

If you have access to a voltmeter, measure the +5v rail on your bus.
I would also suggest you try taking out your Curtis filter.

hth,

Martin, Rebel Technology

javierdepascual
Learning to Wiggle

Post by javierdepascual » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:51 am

Hi Martin,

I've tried unplugging every module except Stoicheia and the LEDs still light up when I switch it on.

I've also tried other power bus cables but it still doesn't work.

I don't have access to a voltmeter, nor I know what is +5v rail on my bus, but if I plug in another module with the same cable and on the same bus spot it works fine. It seems something's wrong with Stoicheia itself.

mars
Common Wiggler

Post by mars » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Stoicheia is protected against over current and reverse voltage on all rails (fuses and diodes), but not against over voltage on +5v.

The most common cause of damage is that people accidentally plug in some other module the wrong way around, which may not damage the other unit (provided it is suitably protected), but which has the effect of shorting +5v to +12v on the entire bus.

This leads to over voltage, which fries the microcontroller in the Stoicheia. Luckily, in the Stoicheia at least, this is easy to replace.

If you send the module to us we will repair it for you. I will email you the address.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”