Intellijel Metropolis ( RYK m-185 in Euro)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:09 pm

That's just the title of the document not having been updated. The information there is current as of 1.11.

RyanDais
Common Wiggler

Post by RyanDais » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:18 pm

looking forward to the Burst update in the firmware, exactly what I'm looking to do currently.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:24 pm

RyanDais wrote:looking forward to the Burst update in the firmware, exactly what I'm looking to do currently.
Great! Any particular desires about functionality?

My current idea is simply to wait for a trigger on the reset input which when received will play the sequence once until it hits the sync condition and then wait for the next reset pulse. If it's already playing the reset pulse will reset it back to the beginning as normal.

Blender
Common Wiggler

Post by Blender » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:55 pm

Regarding div in and div out:
I am wondering if it was intended functionality that since 1.13, the division in has functioned in the same way as the division out. On 1.12, you could have a slower division internally than you had being sent out via the clock.

(To get the same effect now, I think you have to increase the BPM and then divide it back down) :confused:

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:57 pm

zengomi wrote:I experienced an error doing the update. Not sure why. Here's what happened.

I plugged USB ISP into PC and connected it to Metropolis before powering up the case, which, to my surprise, turned the module on. Nevertheless, I powered up the case and attempted the update. Then I got an error message in the PC app.

So I powered off the case, removed USB cable from USB ISP, powered up the case again, and reconnected USB ISP to Metropolis. The second attempt to update the firmware succeeded.

Has anyone else experienced something like that?
Me, got Metropolis rev012 with fw 1.12 last week and tried everything i could to update to 1.14 and always got an error. Sent an email to Intellijel today.

Blender
Common Wiggler

Post by Blender » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:08 pm

SkoPe wrote:
zengomi wrote:I experienced an error doing the update. Not sure why. Here's what happened.

I plugged USB ISP into PC and connected it to Metropolis before powering up the case, which, to my surprise, turned the module on. Nevertheless, I powered up the case and attempted the update. Then I got an error message in the PC app.

So I powered off the case, removed USB cable from USB ISP, powered up the case again, and reconnected USB ISP to Metropolis. The second attempt to update the firmware succeeded.

Has anyone else experienced something like that?
Me, got Metropolis rev012 with fw 1.12 last week and tried everything i could to update to 1.14 and always got an error. Sent an email to Intellijel today.
Try switching to a newer or different USB cable. I was having the same problem with an older cable but using the new one updates it fine.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Also make sure you are plugging the ISP in to the right port. A few people had problems and it turned out they were plugging in to the the gate/pitch bus as opposed to the ICSP port. They are the same size so it's an easy mistake to make (I admit I've done it too..).

There's a photo in the "Usage" tab of https://intellijel.com/firmware-updates/ that shows the correct connection.

Also try another cable, and don't use a hub...

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks Blender and kisielk.

Already tried with 2 cables and not using a hub..
Weird because it came with a usb cable so it should work. But i'm almost sure this was an offer from the place where got the ISP updater. Will try to find another cable.

Will try to update Mutamix too.

tilman
Common Wiggler

Post by tilman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:50 am

Sorry if this has been asked before... I did search but could not solve it:

Transposing the Metropolis with the Beatstep Pro:
I just used aux note transpose cv modulated by the beatsteppro. It worked but the values on the bsp where not making sense anymore.

- Would there be a module or soloution so that the note transpose would be like if I go one note up on the bsp the metropolis would follow... right now it is not predictable at which values the aux event increases or decreases...

- Or is there some setting in the Metropolis or the BSP so that they are "calibrated" in a way?

- Anyone using the BSP to modulate the Metropolis? I think this would be a great combo!

Cheers!

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:03 am

Still no luck... :waah: tried again with another 3 different cables, 2 computers and same thing happen.
:despair:

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Silly question: Are you sure the ISP is plugged into the proper header on the back? I may or may not have accidentally plugged the ISP into the Atlantis communication header (which is also 6-pin!) when I first tried updating the module....

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:33 pm

geremyf
i'm sure its connected correctly and with proper cable orientation. Triple checked that too.

I've always upload programs into my arduinos (uno, nano and other clones) using the same computer and cable without any problem..

The computer recognized the device as FabISP but says thats not configured. Weird because theres no drivers for OSX.

Also tried on windows using Parallels, installed (updated)drivers but had same results. Error :bang:
:help:

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:08 pm

If possible, perhaps you could trying using a different USB ISP.

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Unfornately don't have any other USB ISP here.

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:53 pm

SkoPe wrote:Unfornately don't have any other USB ISP here.
To determine whether or not your particular USB ISP is functioning properly, could you try using it to update a different Metropolis with a different computer?

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:00 am

zengomi really wish i had 2 Metropolis! :lol: can't update firmware on Mutamix too so i'm guessing that i have a defective USB ISP.

norde
Common Wiggler

Post by norde » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:57 am

hello there! the slider leds are orange (yellow?) or red cause i have been watching some youtube videos with orange and some with red....?

Blender
Common Wiggler

Post by Blender » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:45 am

You can change out the sliders caps with different colors!

I want to get some green ones for xmas and then hang some ornaments on it. :hihi:

modernage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by modernage » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:49 am

I think I remember reading that the original version of the Metropolis came with red leds, and now they ship with amber colored leds..... or maybe it's the other way around. :despair:

But Blender is correct, you can swap them out very easily. I bought a bunch of different colors for mine.

tilman wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before... I did search but could not solve it:

Transposing the Metropolis with the Beatstep Pro:
I just used aux note transpose cv modulated by the beatsteppro. It worked but the values on the bsp where not making sense anymore.

- Would there be a module or soloution so that the note transpose would be like if I go one note up on the bsp the metropolis would follow... right now it is not predictable at which values the aux event increases or decreases...

- Or is there some setting in the Metropolis or the BSP so that they are "calibrated" in a way?

- Anyone using the BSP to modulate the Metropolis? I think this would be a great combo!

Cheers!
Yeah, it's been discussed a handful of times in this thread. That's the way it was designed. It's not meant to transpose 1v/oct like you are trying to do. I think a page or two back in this thread there was some discussion of the possibility of an update that was being considered. :)

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Current ones are shipping with red LEDs.

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:08 pm

chiming in.
just picked up a fresh Metropolis. current build w/v1.14.

i am loving this sequencer. livened my stage rig up immensely.
currently hanging with the CR and Rene:

this is just the metropolis triggering/tuning a Radio Music:

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:16 pm

sorry to spam this thread... but.
this mode is my new favourite sequencer.....
i can hear my upcoming set coming together.

greenanother
Veteran Wiggler

Post by greenanother » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Any chance the next Metropolis firmware can have the option to output gates when the sequencer is NOT running (and you're just wiggling the sliders)?

Playing the sliders with modules like Braids and Rings (which activate a trigger when sensing a 1 v/oct cv input) is so much fun I'd like to have this available across the board.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:21 pm

greenanother wrote:Any chance the next Metropolis firmware can have the option to output gates when the sequencer is NOT running (and you're just wiggling the sliders)?

Playing the sliders with modules like Braids and Rings (which activate a trigger when sensing a 1 v/oct cv input) is so much fun I'd like to have this available across the board.
sounds like you'd be better off just getting pressure points???
Last edited by orangehexagon on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:24 pm

kisielk wrote:
RyanDais wrote:looking forward to the Burst update in the firmware, exactly what I'm looking to do currently.
Great! Any particular desires about functionality?

My current idea is simply to wait for a trigger on the reset input which when received will play the sequence once until it hits the sync condition and then wait for the next reset pulse. If it's already playing the reset pulse will reset it back to the beginning as normal.
Not regarding the Burst functionality,

but I'd really love to see functionality to de-link the sequencer from internal AND external clock sources... allowing the sequencer to advance with each pulse received (similar to Rene). The ratcheting would then just be an additional advancement on that same stage....

Thoughts?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”