Krell

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:49 pm

pugix wrote:
cptnal wrote:
mritenburg wrote:This is a wonderful thread. I've enjoyed browsing all of the patches.

One thing I am curious about, Is there any general consensus about what constitutes the baseline Krell composition against which others are compared? Is there a particular scene from Forbidden Planet that everyone uses as their reference track for Krell music? I ask because there are 22 possible compositions to use as the baseline and they are all quite different.
Here's Todd Barton's demonstration of his original Krell:

It's appeared elsewhere, but bears repeating. I have it bookmarked because it's so fiddly to find.
Thanks cptnal. I hadn't seen that video before. Nice demo of building a Krell patch.

But why is this called a Krell patch? What's the connection to Forbidden Planet?
Exactly...

Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sleipnir » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:53 pm

mritenburg wrote:
pugix wrote:
cptnal wrote:
mritenburg wrote:One thing I am curious about, Is there any general consensus about what constitutes the baseline Krell composition against which others are compared? Is there a particular scene from Forbidden Planet that everyone uses as their reference track for Krell music? I ask because there are 22 possible compositions to use as the baseline and they are all quite different.
Here's Todd Barton's demonstration of his original

It's appeared elsewhere, but bears repeating. I have it bookmarked because it's so fiddly to find.
Thanks cptnal. I hadn't seen that video before. Nice demo of building a Krell patch.
But why is this called a Krell patch? What's the connection to Forbidden Planet?
Exactly...
:bang: :bang: :bang:
This has been discussed ad nauseam.
Todd was trying to create something self generating, yet not “random bloops” — something that sounds like it was performed by a living being. He used the track “Ancient Krell Music” as his muse.
Spoiler alert: the Krell are the long-extinct advanced society that the scientists are studying. He plays a snippet for the astronauts.
Their music had to sound like something recognizable as music, but strange and complex enough to be unrecognizable as anything a viewer might have heard before.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Sleipnir wrote: Image
Thanks for your response. My original question wasn't about Todd Barton's attempts to replicate Krell music. I was asking about the compositions that have been posted in this particular discussion. I'm curious if everyone who is posting Krell compositions are using the same baseline.

Is everyone trying to emulate the same "Ancient Krell" track, or has someone, say, tried to replicate "Overture" or "Krell Shuttle Ride and Power Station?"

GreetDeath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GreetDeath » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:59 am

I think a lot of them are trying to replicate Todd Barton's patch with whatever that particular person has, but the term has devolved to include other generative patches.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:59 am

waltonsimons12 wrote:That recording was made by Krell musicians a half a million years ago. They called it 'Krellstep.'
:lol:
A viewer comment made on this YouTube clip from The Forbidden Planet:
[video][/video]

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:57 am

JohnLRice wrote:
waltonsimons12 wrote:That recording was made by Krell musicians a half a million years ago. They called it 'Krellstep.'
[video][/video]
Are those Barton's original patch notes on the desk? :woah:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:19 am

cptnal wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
[video][/video]
Are those Barton's original patch notes on the desk? :woah:
:hihi:

FatBob
Common Wiggler

Post by FatBob » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:50 am

https://soundcloud.com/fatbobsprofile/krell-01

Keeping the thread alive, even if it is with my basic lacklustre patch... :)
There are no "issues", only problems

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:15 am

FatBob wrote:https://soundcloud.com/fatbobsprofile/krell-01

Keeping the thread alive, even if it is with my basic lacklustre patch... :)
Basic? Lacklustre? Sounds to me pretty much as Barton would do it (albeit with a little looping delay if I'm not mistaken).

It's a great patch to use as a modulation engine for something not-so-Krelly*, but there's something quite comforting about hearing a real honest-to-goodness Krell. :tu:

*Believe it or not, the track "Again" currently in my sig uses a Krell patch to drive much of it.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

FatBob
Common Wiggler

Post by FatBob » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:38 am

Very kind words.

I was just following some advice that Daniel Cramer had given me back on page 8
(Good Lord! Nearly four years ago!).
Better late than never, eh... :)

Well spotted on the looping delay - I stuck the output through a "Shimmerverb" patch on a
ZoomMS50G pedal which added a great deal of extra depth to the original.

I very much like your track "Again" - makes me think for some reason of the trip down the river in Apocolypse Now.
There are no "issues", only problems

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:56 pm

FatBob wrote:I was just following some advice that Daniel Cramer had given me back on page 8
When it comes to Krell we are all Mr Cramer and Mr Barton's children (don't think about that too long :eek: ).
FatBob wrote:I very much like your track "Again" - makes me think for some reason of the trip down the river in Apocolypse Now.
Thank you. :guinness: I like to use ambiguous titles so the listener can make their own mind up what, if anything it evokes.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 am

'Students' may be a safer word. :eek:
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 am

nerdware wrote:'Students' may be a safer word. :eek:
Aside about your sig - amen, brother. Having spent last night soldering, if I never have to do it again it'll be too soon. :bang:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:19 am

ebotronix krell....
[video][/video]

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:45 pm

The first thing I did when I bought my 0-Coast was their Krell patch. Now I have a rack AND a Forbidden Planet Filter. Time to revisit the Krell...

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:24 pm

I've been on a bit of a Shapeshifter kick of late, prompted by the thread of an intrepid wiggler who has since decided to buy one. I watched some of Seth Shafer's excellent tutorials, and during one it struck me that it could potentially Krell itself. Turns out I needed a sample and hold after all, so I threw in an attenuator by way of a three module challenge. So here we have the three-module Krell:

Intellijel Cyclonix Shapeshifter
Doepfer A148 Sample and Hold
4MS Shifting Inverting Signal Mingler
(External reverb, because you can't have a Krell without reverb 8-) )

http://soundcloud.com/cptnal/shapey-4-krell-3
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:10 pm

Ebotronix wrote:ebotronix krell....
[video][/video]
Very nice.

I haven't been to your channel before. I'm enjoying all those O&C scale explorations.
Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Been messin' with my Quadnic 4 channel osc. for Krell, and it does a wonderful job! Running all 4 oscillators with separate 1V/oct inputs from different slow LFOs, sum out to filter, and I run it with the Master light flashing in 2xadd, mult or sync mode.

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:19 pm

My take on the Krell patch. Makenoise Function controlling Roland oscillators, filters and VCAs with an assortment of noisy randomness involving an MI Stages, MI Branches and a Korgasmatron II.

https://soundcloud.com/adam-v/horns-of-krell

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Standard Krell-patch. Random pan. Spring reverb. Analog delay. Oscillator a standard Doepfer A-110. First, a subtractive synthesis version. Square out from VCO to filter. Random CV to filter. Then a standard subtractive synthesis version. Sinus out from VCO to wave shaper. Random CV to wave-shaper. Last another subtractive version. Square out from VCO to low pass gate. Random CV to LPG.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/sliversounds/sin ... -in-3-ways[/s]

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:26 am

gis_sweden wrote:Standard Krell-patch. Random pan. Spring reverb. Analog delay. Oscillator a standard Doepfer A-110. First, a subtractive synthesis version. Square out from VCO to filter. Random CV to filter. Then a standard subtractive synthesis version. Sinus out from VCO to wave shaper. Random CV to wave-shaper. Last another subtractive version. Square out from VCO to low pass gate. Random CV to LPG.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/sliversounds/sin ... -in-3-ways[/s]
Very nicely done. :yay:

I'm particularly fond of the first one.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Krell

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:14 pm

Put together a Krell patch last night while I couldn't sleep. Based around a sample set I saved on my Reflex Liveloop and a looping recording of a train and some crows. Batumi, Cold Mac, and Disting are handling the generative aspects. The patch definitely had a mind of its own. I listened to it for a few hours and it went through some really wild changes across that time but this was my favorite bit from the hour or so that I recorded.

Pic of the patch:

Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:43 pm

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:14 pm
Put together a Krell patch last night while I couldn't sleep.
Very interesting. I like the sounds. Sometimes I regret selling my phonogene. My synth is all analog. But I very much like the synth you have used.
So focused and so....concentrated. Maybe you also have gone through a down sizing stage in your modular life?

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:02 pm

gis_sweden wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:43 pm
Very interesting. I like the sounds. Sometimes I regret selling my phonogene. My synth is all analog. But I very much like the synth you have used.
So focused and so....concentrated. Maybe you also have gone through a down sizing stage in your modular life?
I wouldn't say I've done much downsizing, but I tend to sell things if I'm going to buy something new. I probably have about 9u 84hp worth of modules overall that I pick and choose from to fill this case and another 7u 42hp case, and I rearrange things every month or so when I want to try out a new idea.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

belsina
Common Wiggler

Post by belsina » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:14 pm
Put together a Krell patch last night while I couldn't sleep.
Nice interpretation!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”