Krell

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4005
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: Krell

Post by cptnal » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:45 pm

This has Krell at its heart...

In my own mini, breakout, smaller, whatever, case (mostly leftovers and modules deep enough not to need much help) I'm using three segments of Stages for Attack-Decay-EoC. But the central element is attempting to get Pam's to follow an irregular clock and give me eight sample-and-holds (albeit all with their own noise inputs). It works mostly, but sometimes, I guess after a few short pulses followed by a longer one, you can hear her force her own interpretation of what the clock should be. All told I got a dozen sample and holds out of this case (MG link in sig). Most are modulating everything about Loquelic Iteritas, then the envelope stage length, and we've split the audio through a VCA to Chronoblob (also modulated). The Blob's output has reverb, the direct signal is dry.

Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Krell

Post by Ebotronix » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:12 pm

christmas krell
XAOC Devices: Odessa, Kamieniec²
Verbos Electronics: Harmonic Oscillator, Scan and Pan
Intellijel: Planar 2
CopperSound Pedals: Telegraph Stutter
Ornament and Crime²: Copier Maschine with Pythagorean Scale
Cyclonix: Cyclebox
Doepfer: A 152, A 177-2
System 80: μJove²
MQ: DFLPG²
Waldorf: NW1
Wiard; Joystik Axis Generator
4ms: Peg
Random Source: SSG,+N Com
Sputnik Modular: 5 Step Voltage Source,Oscillator,
Quad VCF/VCA, Four Tap Delay
Tunefish Modular: Peaks,
Clouds Moonson²,FranKingsTides,Kings,μVeils²,μWarps
Mutable Instruments: Tides2
Happy Nerding: Super Sawtor
Roland EV 5 Foot Pedal
Behringer Xenyx 2222FX
mackie the mixer



User avatar
Mark II
Common Wiggler
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm
Location: Tilbury, on a chair

Re: Krell

Post by Mark II » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:08 am

cptnal wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:45 pm
This has Krell at its heart...
Nice one!
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4005
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: Krell

Post by cptnal » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:23 pm

Ebotronix wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:12 pm
christmas krell
XAOC Devices: Odessa, Kamieniec²
Verbos Electronics: Harmonic Oscillator, Scan and Pan
Intellijel: Planar 2
CopperSound Pedals: Telegraph Stutter
Ornament and Crime²: Copier Maschine with Pythagorean Scale
Cyclonix: Cyclebox
Doepfer: A 152, A 177-2
System 80: μJove²
MQ: DFLPG²
Waldorf: NW1
Wiard; Joystik Axis Generator
4ms: Peg
Random Source: SSG,+N Com
Sputnik Modular: 5 Step Voltage Source,Oscillator,
Quad VCF/VCA, Four Tap Delay
Tunefish Modular: Peaks,
Clouds Moonson²,FranKingsTides,Kings,μVeils²,μWarps
Mutable Instruments: Tides2
Happy Nerding: Super Sawtor
Roland EV 5 Foot Pedal
Behringer Xenyx 2222FX
mackie the mixer


Enjoyed watching this. I'm gonna use PEG in my next patch - it gets neglected too much.

And I must say your rack looks pretty, er… "hybrid". Me like! :tu:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Krell

Post by Ebotronix » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:00 pm

thanks cptnal!

User avatar
MarilynMonroe
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:13 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Krell

Post by MarilynMonroe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:55 am

@buttonsAREtoys @cptnal @ebotronix
Nice patches!
:yay: :hail: :tu:
--
in Love
MarilynMonroe

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Krell

Post by Ebotronix » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 pm


User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4005
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: Krell

Post by cptnal » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Those aren't your Daddy's waveforms. :tu:

My latest dive into Krell-land also features ring mod (but no FM). It's four sines going into a WMD Sequential Switch Matrix which chooses whether it goes left, right, or into the ring mod. (That perceived auto-panning is actually just beating.) There are 16 configurations selected by random sample and hold following the same clock as the Krell function. It started off in tune, but I prefer the results when I knocked them all off a bit. It's still quantized, just not in tune. :mrgreen:

Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

User avatar
gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:57 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Krell - Krell in the woods

Post by gis_sweden » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:24 am

Sampled two krell sounds into my SP-404SX. Added 3 other sounds. Took it with me into the woods and recorded. All editing made in SP-404SX. No post processing at all. Fun.


User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2913
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: Krell

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 pm

not your every day krell patch. but i think it qualifies.

i tried to path the ambiance from the Star Trek USS Enterprise Bridge.

With all the carefully tuned random and probability and space vs activity in this patch i think it belongs in this thread.


resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Krell

Post by resynthesize » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:12 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 pm
not your every day krell patch. but i think it qualifies.

i tried to path the ambiance from the Star Trek USS Enterprise Bridge.

With all the carefully tuned random and probability and space vs activity in this patch i think it belongs in this thread.

that's awesome! also reminds me of being in line for space mountain at disneyland and the general ship ambience of battlestar galactica

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4005
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: Krell

Post by cptnal » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:58 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 pm
not your every day krell patch. but i think it qualifies.

i tried to path the ambiance from the Star Trek USS Enterprise Bridge.

With all the carefully tuned random and probability and space vs activity in this patch i think it belongs in this thread.

Interesting.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

User avatar
oblis
...sigh...
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Krell

Post by oblis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:12 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 pm
not your every day krell patch. but i think it qualifies.

i tried to path the ambiance from the Star Trek USS Enterprise Bridge.

With all the carefully tuned random and probability and space vs activity in this patch i think it belongs in this thread.

Image

User avatar
windchill
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 am

Re: Krell

Post by windchill » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 pm
not your every day krell patch. but i think it qualifies.

i tried to path the ambiance from the Star Trek USS Enterprise Bridge.

With all the carefully tuned random and probability and space vs activity in this patch i think it belongs in this thread.

Image

User avatar
Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:24 am
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Re: Krell

Post by Sleipnir » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Will have this on background while I play EvE :-)

User avatar
MarilynMonroe
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:13 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Krell

Post by MarilynMonroe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:00 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 pm
not your every day krell patch. but i think it qualifies.

i tried to path the ambiance from the Star Trek USS Enterprise Bridge.

With all the carefully tuned random and probability and space vs activity in this patch i think it belongs in this thread.

Wow, this is a nice and interesting one, something different! I like it very much :yay:
--
in Love
MarilynMonroe

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2913
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: Krell

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 am

thanks guys it, was a really fun challenge. would love to hear some other peoples versions if they give it a shot!

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Re: Krell

Post by dooj88 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am

windchill wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 am
brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 pm
not your every day krell patch. but i think it qualifies.

i tried to path the ambiance from the Star Trek USS Enterprise Bridge.

With all the carefully tuned random and probability and space vs activity in this patch i think it belongs in this thread.

Image
:yay:

love it as well, wife and i have been watching TNG as a sleepytime show lately. spot on.

User avatar
prphnc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Krell

Post by prphnc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:32 pm

My Marbles/Cs-L Krell:



-



Source: Cš-L / I-ō47 / VCFQ
Modulation: Marbles / Penta / Quadra
FX: Magneto / echorec / HOF II

djfussball
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:44 am
Location: Zurich

Re: Krell

Post by djfussball » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:54 pm



Krell patch featuring DPO --> Optomix bongos and some supporting percussion by BIA and some white noise hats. Also modulating the feedback parameter of the mimeophon, which leads it to (nearly) getting out of hand at times.

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4005
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: Krell

Post by cptnal » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:26 pm

First patch - a quantized Krell - with my new Akemie's Castle after a fairly rocky start. Damn thing needed calibrating out the box. Probably been sitting on a cold shelf for years. All that notwithstanding, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship. Also starring my other newest purchase, the Doepfer A-106-6 filter. :loves:

Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

User avatar
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3579
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:23 am
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Re: Krell

Post by pugix » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 pm

@cptnal Nice sounds! Are these self-playing?
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4005
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: Krell

Post by cptnal » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:46 pm

pugix wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 pm
@cptnal Nice sounds! Are these self-playing?
:guinness:

Yes indeedy. The Krell function's EOC triggers a bunch of S&Hs which modulate Akemie's and the filters. I've taken two outputs from the A-106-6: one delayed (Disting C3) and one through Springray (also modulated). Chord backing is from Akemie's Osc A, Osc B being the melodic voice.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Re: Krell

Post by dooj88 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 pm

it's been about a year since i got any new modules that really changed up functionality in my case. i'm about to swap out my JAG for NLC's Clump, a vc matrix mixer, similar functionality to 4ms' VCAM.

anyway while daydreaming about what i could do with it, i came up with an idea for a patch with dramatic swings, but also somewhat tamed timbral modulation at the same time.. something i've always struggled with. the generative patches i make always involved vcing a clock which cause wild bursts of change... trying to get some practice with CV in the middle ground.

so the patch would be to use Frames inputs (in wavetable lfo mode) to process 4 channels of CV: 2 inputs from Kermit and 2 inputs from PEG. the rate of Frames lfo would be modulated by an attenuated s+h. then those outputs would go into Clump out to filters (or possibly a mixer to control Frames along with the s+h). anyway i was struggling with ways to modulate Clump's VCAs: at first i thought it might be fun to use a quadrature LFOs from Dr Octature, probably FMed by the Vitznutcracker Sweet O_C algo to vary the speed a bit. but i've used that technique before and want to try other things. then i had the idea to use a sequencer to modulate the VCAs. i've got a Rene, Pressure Points and a Prizma.

but here's where i'm looking for some suggestions: to not have the values jump, i'd need a slew in between the sequencers and Clump. I've got a Maths, but I was wondering if there are any slew generators that can be switched on and off? it would be cool to have a slowly rising value jump when the slew is disabled.. i suppose I could just send negative CV into the rise/fall jacks on Maths, but wanted to see what else is out there.

edit, including my rack for the hell of it
rrrrrrack.JPG

malnourish
Common Wiggler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Re: Krell

Post by malnourish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:21 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 pm
it's been about a year since i got any new modules that really changed up functionality in my case. i'm about to swap out my JAG for NLC's Clump, a vc matrix mixer, similar functionality to 4ms' VCAM.

anyway while daydreaming about what i could do with it, i came up with an idea for a patch with dramatic swings, but also somewhat tamed timbral modulation at the same time.. something i've always struggled with. the generative patches i make always involved vcing a clock which cause wild bursts of change... trying to get some practice with CV in the middle ground.

so the patch would be to use Frames inputs (in wavetable lfo mode) to process 4 channels of CV: 2 inputs from Kermit and 2 inputs from PEG. the rate of Frames lfo would be modulated by an attenuated s+h. then those outputs would go into Clump out to filters (or possibly a mixer to control Frames along with the s+h). anyway i was struggling with ways to modulate Clump's VCAs: at first i thought it might be fun to use a quadrature LFOs from Dr Octature, probably FMed by the Vitznutcracker Sweet O_C algo to vary the speed a bit. but i've used that technique before and want to try other things. then i had the idea to use a sequencer to modulate the VCAs. i've got a Rene, Pressure Points and a Prizma.

but here's where i'm looking for some suggestions: to not have the values jump, i'd need a slew in between the sequencers and Clump. I've got a Maths, but I was wondering if there are any slew generators that can be switched on and off? it would be cool to have a slowly rising value jump when the slew is disabled.. i suppose I could just send negative CV into the rise/fall jacks on Maths, but wanted to see what else is out there.

edit, including my rack for the hell of it
rrrrrrack.JPG
WMD/SSF VC Mini Slew? Not 100% sure but it looks like you can run the function based on trigger input...

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”