Multiples vs. Stackcables - Opinions?..

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

coreybauer
Learning to Wiggle

Multiples vs. Stackcables - Opinions?..

Post by coreybauer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Just trying to weigh the benefits. Being that they are both equally affordable, I am trying to decide which way is best.

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Stackcables are better. They have a 0 hp real estate.
:hobbes:

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:08 pm

I wouldn't say they are equally affordable... Multiples are pretty cheap especially if you DIY them but having a large selection of stackables gets expensive pretty quick- and to get the most out of stackables I kind of feel like you need to have all stackables and ditch regular cables completely. Right now I have both and mixing and matching takes away from the appeal and workflow of stackables having to unplug stuff- I would like to switch over but it's way expensive up front.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Honestly I couldn't afford the HPs for mults! Stackables rule, and the current batch feel great. Nice balance of sturdiness yet flexible. As far as needing buffered mults, many modules buffer their outputs anyway so it's not as necessary as you might think.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

l e b e r
Veteran Wiggler

Post by l e b e r » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:11 pm

multiples all day every day for me...

never got on with mini-jack stackables. i have some, but i always prefer the more reliable buffered multiples. plus i find multiples are visually more useful when doing a complex patch.... with stackables i get lost quickly. multiples deserve their hp space!

Diao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diao » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:16 pm

I use both. I usually use stackcables when I've already got a patch going and I need to split a signal after it's already been routed. When initially building a patch I will almost always go for the mult. With that said, though, I just really, really, like the feel of my Doepfer multiple. I don't know what it is about it, but I get by far the most satisfaction out of plugging and pulling patch leads in and out of the A-180 compared to any module I've tried, and that includes all of my Cwejman modules. :confused:

mojopin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mojopin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:45 pm

i have had many stackcables fail on me while the ad infinitum and doepfer are all ok.

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Multiples.

I have concerns over the extra pressure exerted on the jacks from the weight of stacked cables. As much as people don't want to admit it, minijacks just aren't that robust and two stacked cables can give an awful lot of leverage.

Even if I had a banana system, I'd still go with multiples as I also know that the further out the cables are stacked, the easier it is for me to get my hands caught in them.

Cheers,
Adam-V

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Multiples. Easier to visualize and VERY easy to make. They don't need to be even on the panel, they can be a box or mounted in the spare space on some cabinets (above and below on a Doepfer portable cab for instance). If there is extra space on a Synthwerks module I alway put a mult there. With a mult it is easier fo me to add and subtract from the multiplied cords - no jack in the middle problems which can be avoided of course with stacked cables but you have to plan ahead. Stacked plugs are larger than normal ones so things can get cramped. To me even the minimum stacked cables are straining the jacks too much.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Electrostatic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Electrostatic » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Multiples.
As James said above, you don't have to have them in the case. I have mine all lined up and screwed into a wooden cigar box where the lid should be. Dead handy.

jnlkrt

Post by jnlkrt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:37 pm

i personally prefer stackables, but the above concerns are something to consider. i never put more than two on top of each other, and i have a small desktop system with mostly short stackables, which takes away a lot of potential issues with leverage. plus you can chain up stackables without plugging the chained part in a jack and lay them down if you need more connections.

i found mults to be very annoying, they create chaotic bulks of cables

another aspect is the nice thickness of stackables, erthenvar are the only competitor in terms of look and feel.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:37 pm

Electrostatic wrote:As James said above, you don't have to have them in the case.
Hell... I've been known to suspend a loose mult module with the cables, leaving it dangling in the patch spaghetti.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 pm

both, but if i had to give up one it’d be the stackables.

i tend to use mults for distributing to many places, and only use stackables if i’m pretty sure i only need to send to a couple of places....or if i simply need to add an extra output or two to a multiple.

any more than 2 stacked feels really dodgy to me, and doesn’t work at all in an angled case like my monster base (gets in the way too much). maybe it’s better on vertical-only cases

just build yourself an external box or two if you don’t want to lose HPs.
here’s one i built for next to nothing, with attenuators normalled to multiples via switched jack sockets (can be broken to provide completely separate multiples and attenuators if desired, simply by plugging into the first of each 4 way mult):

Refund
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Refund » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:50 pm

stackables:

better: if you only need to mult a few signals, they can be a lot more convenient since you don't need to route between any more modules than the signal is coming from, I think they're perfect for things like multing an envelope to send to two sources, doubling a trigger gate to send to two places, etc..

better: for hp consumption (0 hp)

worse: questionable reliability (though tiptop insist that this is a v1 issue and the newer v2 cables are far more robust, I have no experience either way) and stacking high can make them prone to accidental damage of the module jacks

mult:

better: if you need to mult a lot of signals (like a reset/clock trigger signals to multiple usteps/a160's/pp etc..) or want to have some 'permanent' patched area.

better: if you know exactly where all your multing is going to take place and you want to make everything neat and organised

optional: they can be built as 'buffered' multiples, so you don't get any signal loss from patching to multiple places.

worse: I WILL TAKE YOUR TASTY HP AND HAVE IT FOR BREAKFAST, OM NOM NOM

sabasan
Common Wiggler

Post by sabasan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:59 pm

In my experience you need both, stackable are great for fast patching like envelopes or lfos to something unexpected, multiples are good for usual patching like gate to envelope or pitch..

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Twofers and multiples

Post by wsy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm

I have two Q124 multiples and ten "twofers" - the equivalent of a stackable with a zero length cable.

Nowadays, I use both, but I've used just one or the other, depending on available
real estate and personal feelings at the time.

Try a few, if they suit you, then they suit you, otherwise they don't. :-) And don't sweat it. Have a beer and make some music. :clap: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm

I have made a few of these to do the job of a stackable when I need it:

Just three jacks with their grounds and tips connected. Most jacks of this style can be just soldered together with the right pins laying on each other and it become quite sturdy. Then regular cords can be used. They of course can be chained to make more than 3 connections and are quite cheap to make a box of them. They are also useful when a cord is just to short to go between cabinets to chain two cords together.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

jonah
searching for "switch nipples"

Post by jonah » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Stackables seem like a hassle unless you know exactly what you're going to do before you start patching. What if you change your mind about the bottom cable in a stack? With multiples you change the one connection.

With DIY I'd sometimes cheap out and use bare plugs and alligator clips, which at least gives you flexibility to change any of the connections at any time without disconnecting the others.

I think I'd rather hack some regular cables to expose the wire and use alligator clips than pay for stackables.

Hmmm, stackables in multiples might actually be good. And they're so cheap who cares if the jacks fail.

jog ling
1-Post Wiggler

Post by jog ling » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:31 pm

The stacks are a bit too large for me to maneuver around when patched. Even if they were smaller, I would still have to use buffered mults for copying many cv signals. As far as i know they do not make buffered stackables.......

sinemod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sinemod » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 pm

18U
and i have 2x a180 mult
1 x Division6 Multiplicity XV
and Beside of that i love those 99 cent splitter
i have always feel that those Stack are going to affect the longevity of a jack socket

stellvia
Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey

Post by stellvia » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:56 pm

sabasan wrote:In my experience you need both, stackable are great for fast patching like envelopes or lfos to something unexpected, multiples are good for usual patching like gate to envelope or pitch..
Exactly what I do in my setup, multiples for gate and pitch signals and stackables for the more interesting things going on in the patch that I only want to split into 2 or 3 signals.

Ted

Post by Ted » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Multiples.

This would have made a good poll.

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:26 am

Both. I have a mult next to my RCD for clocks, for everything else I use stackcables. I even have another mult in my RS20 ring mod but since i got stackcables i don't use it as a mult anymore.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:48 am

Both: stackcables for simple doubling of an envelope etc., multiples (passive and buffered) for everything else.

If I had to chose one it would be mults. I don't stack high, but have noticed a problem with both V1 & 2. Some destination sockets (Cliff and others) can be intermittent/ cause interference. That might be the weight. Sometimes it's the proximity to the PCB.

The only shame about mults is that they're not always efficient if you only want to double a signal. I suppose, DIY is the answer.

jabeoo1
Common Wiggler

Post by jabeoo1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 am

I have one buffered multiple in my system and all my cables are stack cables. I already know I should have gone for more multiples and maybe just 6 or so stack cables and then normal plain patch cables.

I hardly ever stack my cables, when I do its one in a patch. Also I never go to 3 stacked as it just feels like I am going to do some damage by knocking the stack and damage the input / output.

Multiples all the way. I also know I will eventually sell of a large number of my cables.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”