Multiples vs. Stackcables - Opinions?..

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

Post by amsonx » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 am

sinemod wrote:18U
and i have 2x a180 mult
1 x Division6 Multiplicity XV
and Beside of that i love those 99 cent splitter
i have always feel that those Stack are going to affect the longevity of a jack socket
me too i've got a lot of this and like it but with dense modules can be a pain-
For the rest i've some stackable and 2 diy mult , love this 2 equally, depend by the situations
FS (EU) Roland R8 MKII perfect condition

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"

Refund
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Refund » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:26 am

and i have 2x a180 mult
i have always feel that those Stack are going to affect the longevity of a jack socket
that's what I use too (instead of tiptop stackables)

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:02 am

I have all stackcables except for one multiple which sits next to the cyclebox with 2 doepfer yellow cables permanently plugged into it from the lead and lag outs, because for some reason the stackcables are not happy with that module.

If the jack is bolted to the faceplate, I really can't see how 20 or 30 grams of cable can possible damage it, although bumping into a tall stack might be a problem. The only time this happened the stackcable failed, but the jack was perfectly OK. I've stacked them up to 5 deep with no problems at all, although it can look ridiculous, but having reduced my case to 6UX124, I don't want to waste space on multiples.

For fast patching in performance, the stackcables win every time, imo.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

OZ

50quidsoundboy
beneath the carpet tiles, the beach

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:39 am

Diao wrote:I use both. I usually use stackcables when I've already got a patch going and I need to split a signal after it's already been routed. When initially building a patch I will almost always go for the mult.
Ditto.

also, I expect my SC's to break at some point - just because that's what cables do - but I don't expect my two Intellijel mults (one passive, one buffered) to die any time soon unless I'm unlucky.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:08 am

Adam-V wrote: Even if I had a banana system, I'd still go with multiples(...)

Last edited by solaris on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am

I love stackables as it's so immeadiate when patching to just add a cable without a lot of routing. I use bananas on other systems so this is very natural for me.

However in Euro I mix both. Primarily because there is not enough contact area with stackables that I feel uncomfortable going more that three high. Just too unstable.

So for those rare occations I have 1 muliple in my system.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

Arcade Sinusoid
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arcade Sinusoid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Stacks! All the way! :bananaguitar:

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:35 am

I love stackables but you can't leave a patch stacked with a lid on the case. Multiples wouldn't have that problem

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:45 am

I prefer multiples. Mini jacks are flimsy enough without the extra pressure. I have a lot of modules with cliff jacks and they feel less tolerant to the pressure than many of the jacks people are using now.

madcap
Cactophile

Post by madcap » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

jonah wrote:Stackables seem like a hassle unless you know exactly what you're going to do before you start patching.
I use non-stackcables when patching most of the time and then just grab the stackcables when I want to add another connection to an output...momentarily unplugging my orig connection , plugging it into the stackable and then replacing it with the stackcable. Seems like a hiccup-less workflow. When I need more than that I get a multiple involved.

I don't think stacks are a replacement for mults, I just like being able to add one more connection without having to route in a mult.

jnlkrt

Post by jnlkrt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 pm

i`ve been forced to patch without Stackables today at Schneider`s, i thought it was seriously annoying! less intuitive, slower, hard to keep track of the patch. i am pretty sure you want multiples in a big system where tons of modules need to be clocked and triggered and CVed, but i`d never consider patching without Stackables on any system up to 12U.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:25 pm

and i have 2x a180 mult
The trouble with the splitter shown is that it is a stereo splitter not a mono y-cord splitter. In the stereo one shown, one jack goes to the ring and won't work on some sockets. Also the jacks used by TipTop and us (we buy ours from Gur) use a connector in the ring position for the ground connection. You will get funny results using a stereo plug in those instances.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

artisokka
Veteran Wiggler

Post by artisokka » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:32 pm

madcap wrote:
jonah wrote:Stackables seem like a hassle unless you know exactly what you're going to do before you start patching.
I use non-stackcables when patching most of the time and then just grab the stackcables when I want to add another connection to an output...momentarily unplugging my orig connection , plugging it into the stackable and then replacing it with the stackcable. Seems like a hiccup-less workflow. When I need more than that I get a multiple involved.

I don't think stacks are a replacement for mults, I just like being able to add one more connection without having to route in a mult.
My thoughts exactly.
dequalsrxt wrote:fat is warmer than digital is analog, except when it's more west than east, in which case cold is the hotness, but not very musical.

Kaput
merry prankster

Post by Kaput » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:58 pm

I have some mults and quite a few Stackables; the combination works for me. jnlkrt is definitely right about Erthenvar, too - I find they work nicely with Stackables, even aesthetically.

I wouldn't stack more than two, though.

SYN7HOR
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SYN7HOR » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Easily multiples. I use up 10 hp (2x180, 1xbuffered Intellijel) for mults in a 336 hp system and have no need for stackables. I do have some adapters (like the one in this thread) but very rarely use them.

polyroy
Ambient Wiggler

Post by polyroy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Multiples always worked for me. The ethos of stackable cables are great and I love banana cables, but I hated the feel of stackables. The ones I had felt like I was putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on my module's jacks when stacking the TipTop cables.

misa
Ultra Wiggler

Post by misa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 am

I might be repeating old news, but have y'all seen that Doepfer announced a 2hp multiple for January? A-180-2 (a mockup is on their A-180-page)

kainiggemann.bandcamp.com
anterasa.bandcamp.com
gratofficial.bandcamp.com
thedorf.net

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:27 am

Navs wrote: If I had to chose one it would be mults. I don't stack high, but have noticed a problem with both V1 & 2. Some destination sockets (Cliff and others) can be intermittent/ cause interference. That might be the weight. Sometimes it's the proximity to the PCB.
that's me at the moment - only really noticed it since i started using them in my skiff, where they are draping down more than usual. pain in the arse

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:37 am

So far I've only used stackcables in my small system, but I've got a multiple on the way. I want a good mix of both for different tasks - most of the important reasons have been mentioned in this thread.

I also never stack stackcables on top of each other. I never understood why one would do that anyways, as you can mult to indefinite numbers of destinations without ever having to stack several stackcables...? :despair:

pointystumps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pointystumps » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:07 am

Just to throw something else in here that I haven't seen mentioned (but I did skim a few posts – sorry) … here's a somewhat related take on a passive mult/stackcable that may not (at least directly) exert excess weight on the jack:

http://erthenvar.myshopify.com/collecti ... lack-magic

And yeah – before you say it – I can totally imagine how this would make visual recognition of your patches a bit confusing. But lots of us probably have go-to fallbacks anyway, where one clock or mod source is likely to be tapped!

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:20 am

I use stackcables and they breakdown, which would not be such a big deal (obviously you don't want a cable to give up on you on a stage) if they did not cost so much.

Flying mults for me from now on.

regardless
Learning to Wiggle

Post by regardless » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:39 am

I love stacks myself, I have dropped about a grand on them so the price concern is real, and still use a 4ms buffered mult in my system. Only for doing 1v/oct mults tho. All my gate and envelope mult get done with stacks. For stuff like making my qcd work extra well, or branching a reset signal to all. Idk like said above it's not good to stack to high. I'll occasionally do a double stack (3) coming out of my sequencer 1 for clock stuff. I love how fast I can unplug them, them seem to be efficient and easy to straighten out after a patch. One thing they don't do is tangle up. The quality of the v2 vs v1 is indeed better. I have blown out maybe 6 out of the 120 and 4 years and never don't damage to a jack and that's even me snagging on them in many different cases which just happens for me a lot and I cringe every time!

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:16 am

I thought stack cables was the way to go, bought about 20, sold them all again.

I have two doepfer passive mults for multing clock and reset. For the rest I use floating mults that you can get for cheap here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Color ... 12720.html

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:25 am

I like Stackables but not the price.

Those Ethenvar IVs, not so much. I have 12 of them I'm willing to give away for the shipping cost.

I alos have one Belkin 5-way headphone hub and two no-name splitters that are just fine for patch cables. Though I got them from Amazon because I never remember AliExpress, so the Belkin cost almost as much as Intellijel's.

I also got a couple of inline headphone volume controls that are okay as passive attenuators -- but I believe the dog got one already :(

pirxthepilot
Common Wiggler

Post by pirxthepilot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:22 am

starthief wrote: Those Ethenvar IVs, not so much. I have 12 of them I'm willing to give away for the shipping cost.
I'm curious why you don't like it? I have only started using them a few weeks ago. Most of the time I just mult to 2 outs, so it's perfect for my purposes.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”