Multiples vs. Stackcables - Opinions?..

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Remember there isn't a patch you can make that requires a stackable to be stacked more than 2 high (two plugs), you just use the other end. Think serially and save the jack strain.

Passive multiples spread around your rig will do the same thing. "Ninja star" connectors will also spread the strain around too.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Multiples vs. Stackcables - Opinions?..

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:40 pm

For audio specifically is there any sound quality difference between using a buffered Mult or Stackables? Or is there likely to be? I probably couldn't tell a difference with my ears/tinnitus but I'm wondering on paper if one would be more likely to carry a slightly healthier signal.

I'm wanting to get some individual modules to create my own mixing/aux send and return system. Considering how I have it mapped out in my head I'll need a mult in there or I'll just use stackables. I actually don't like using stackables but I would in this situation strictly to save hp.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:37 pm

I have both. Mainly need them for sending waveforms to the Mordax DATA and for multing my ISD Sampler (I use that thing for EVERYTHING!). But whenever I run out of hps, it's always the buffered mults that are the first go (unfortunately). I'm just going to order a pile of 1/8" mono Y-cables from Amazon or something.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 pm

I use right angle cables exclusively so I can actually access the controls, so I mult everything.

Stackables break too easily.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 am

It's funny that this old thread should come up now. I recently have gotten tired of more than half of my stackables being intermittently bad. So I threw them out, and along with being tired of the "star" mults, I decided to use the real estate to see if using mounted mults is a better experience. I also spread modules out in a way that manual controls are easier to access. Yeah, I know, it's against the current of cramming as many functions together as possible, but I am willing to give up the space to experiment. Right now I have about 300 hp of modules sitting on the sidelines anxiously waiting for my experiment to be concluded.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:24 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:40 pm
For audio specifically is there any sound quality difference between using a buffered Mult or Stackables? Or is there likely to be? I probably couldn't tell a difference with my ears/tinnitus but I'm wondering on paper if one would be more likely to carry a slightly healthier signal.

I'm wanting to get some individual modules to create my own mixing/aux send and return system. Considering how I have it mapped out in my head I'll need a mult in there or I'll just use stackables. I actually don't like using stackables but I would in this situation strictly to save hp.
No, they are both just bits of wire - why would there be? Oh I see you said buffered mult. Absolutely no reason to use buffered mults for audio - bear in mind big studio patchbays aren't buffered and they work fine.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 am

gonkulator wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 am
I also spread modules out in a way that manual controls are easier to access. Yeah, I know, it's against the current of cramming as many functions together as possible, but I am willing to give up the space to experiment. Right now I have about 300 hp of modules sitting on the sidelines anxiously waiting for my experiment to be concluded.
haha yeah - bucking the trend - thankfully I started before the trend and have happily ignored it - I'm considering an extra case (mantis) once my current new case (no 6) is full - primarily to allow for more blind panels in order to spread things out more to make access to controls easier!
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:05 am

I have two stackcables, for sending a copy of gate and pitch signals from the main outputs on my KB37 to a Tonestar 2600 and Plaits. There is no perceptible difference in pitch at the Plaits, nor any lag in gate signals. For all other non-pitch signal splitting I use 5 way stars, Knucklebones or some 3 way mults i made recently following the description by Ersatzplanet earlier in this thread. I'm minded to build a mult+ attenuator box like Matttech's, as I run short of attenuation when using VCAs.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

Footkerchief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Footkerchief » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:11 am

Every single stackcable I've ever had has turned into a useless piece of shit. Tiptop replaced them for free. The replacements also went bad. Waste of time.

The Black Market Modular star mults are bulkier, but they're rock-solid.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:25 am

i been using tip top and modular addict stacks for years. never had a single one go bad or break, and i use them all the time.

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:02 am

I love stacks so much but just learned the hard way that when you stack 2 on top of each other the leverage is (obviously) increased so it's much easier to snap jacks, spun around to talk to someone and broke 2 jacks in my modular as the cables had snagged my chair arm :(, just posted to provide a reminder for being careful to folks who use stacks.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:31 am

I made a few of these. Cheap and easy since I already had the jacks.
Y-Jacks.jpg
Y-Jacks.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 246 times
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:26 pm

I use both-- stackables when modules are close together, and panel mults when long cables are needed.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:54 pm

I decided to go with all Stackcables so I currently have quite a lot. A few of them seemed to have problems from day one but the rest have been fine.

It’s convenient when all cables are stackable because you never have to unplug anything to mult it. I also really like the color scheme and enjoy having consistency in general.

I have quite a few buffered mults too since they’re built into Palette cases but I only use those for pitch and clocks. Pitch for stability and clocks because I need a ton and that 1:14 mult on the 104hp palette is perfect for it.

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:03 pm

I have no in-rack passive mults. I have one in-rack buffered mult (SSF Clone), and several Shakmat Sumdifs sprinkled around my system, which can act as a buffered mult in a pinch. I only use buffered mults for pitch signals. To mult anything else, I use passive mults, typically Knucklebones. I do have a clutch of Stackcables, but I hardly ever use them. Their height/weight makes me nervous, especially for vertical panels.

I also have a DIY patchbay which functions as a six-channel passive mult. I use it to distribute clock signals from my Pam's Pexp-1 expander, plus any two other signals that I can to plug into it. It's nice having a central box dedicated to outputting a bunch of commonly used signals.

In this same vein. I recently put together a "floating case" containing some passive mults/attenuators, which I just park anywhere on/near my rack. It's an unpowered Pod20 with a pair of SSF Quad-Attens and a pair of Doepfer A-182-1 switched multiples. It's the handiest thing, I wish I did this a long time ago.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 pm

megarat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:03 pm
. . . In this same vein. I recently put together a "floating case" containing some passive mults/attenuators, which I just park anywhere on/near my rack. It's an unpowered Pod20 with a pair of SSF Quad-Attens and a pair of Doepfer A-182-1 switched multiples. It's the handiest thing, I wish I did this a long time ago.
Hmmm . . . quite liking this idea!
brandonlogic wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:25 am
i been using tip top and modular addict stacks for years. never had a single one go bad or break, and i use them all the time.
That's cool to know! I just bought a bunch of Modular Addict stackables from them. Also got a pile of their "thin" cables which I really like for 6" patches, and a ton of other cables. Really like this vendor for cables! They also have the coolest flying-bus cables—very nicely priced and have an extra piggyback-header on the end. Would never have known about them unless someone recommended them to me in another thread for the power cables.

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 pm

studio460 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 pm
megarat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:03 pm
. . . In this same vein. I recently put together a "floating case" containing some passive mults/attenuators, which I just park anywhere on/near my rack. It's an unpowered Pod20 with a pair of SSF Quad-Attens and a pair of Doepfer A-182-1 switched multiples. It's the handiest thing, I wish I did this a long time ago.
Hmmm . . . quite liking this idea!
Here it is in the flesh:

36B5F368-BBDF-421F-A932-A8613A01693A.jpeg

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:44 pm

studio460 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:37 pm
. . . I'm just going to order a pile of 1/8" mono Y-cables from Amazon or something.
I just bought a bunch of these off Amazon (six for seven bucks!). Would prefer to have a cabled Y-splitter (for improved strain-relief), but oddly these were the only 1/8" mono-splitters I could find anywhere. Apparently, it's really hard to find mono-to-mono 1/8" Y-cables (they're all stereo-to-mono).

Anywho, for the modules where these will fit, these will solve a ton of problems quite nicely (and cheaply!); though, an all-female version of this would be ideal. One is going immediately onto my ISD Sampler's output—I should get them Friday! There was even one Amazon reviewer who said he bought them for use with his modular system!
Uh, don't buy these (purchased from Amazon). They don't work! I only tried two, but on both, one input is hugely attenuated. A couple of reviews said they only got like four good ones out of the six that come in the bag.

Last edited by studio460 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:22 am

I like those star multiples. Way cheaper than stackable cables and you get 6 connections! I use these and have some stackable cables but do not have any multiple modules.

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 am

I recently did the leap over to using a pseudo-Buchla method for patching on my euro system.
I still have (and love) my Pittsburgh Nazca Noodles, and I now use them only for audio path patching.
I upgraded my TipTop collection from the 8 cables I had bought several years ago just to try out stackables - to a full set of 40 cables (8 each of green, red, cyan, yellow, blue) and two long lavender ones.
I absolutely love this method. As I patch along, I just continue to look at the modules as though they are completely available with every CV/Gate jack open and ready for more. Immediately, it felt like I had way more modulation sources.
I have two Intellijel 1U mults, and it always felt like I had to be strategic to mult a source, but Stackables make multing a transparent, effortless workflow.
I am still using my mults for permanent connections - ie. the Clock and start/reset network, and for those I am using Tendrils cables.
The TipTop cable is definitely the highest quality cable in Euro, and the ends feel very sturdy - however I did get one cable in my order that has a loose tip. Not worth the postage to send for replacement, until I have something else to send back to the shop - but I have two years to do that with the TipTop warranty.

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:18 pm

These are pretty good compromise between stackcables and mults:

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/lmntl-splitter-hub.html

Personally, this is one of the reasons why I built my case with two 1U PulpLogic format rows. This is where all my mults (buffered and unbuffered as well as the new PulpLogic DMULT) are.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by unclebastard » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 am

matttech wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 pm
both, but if i had to give up one it’d be the stackables.

i tend to use mults for distributing to many places, and only use stackables if i’m pretty sure i only need to send to a couple of places....or if i simply need to add an extra output or two to a multiple.

any more than 2 stacked feels really dodgy to me, and doesn’t work at all in an angled case like my monster base (gets in the way too much). maybe it’s better on vertical-only cases

just build yourself an external box or two if you don’t want to lose HPs.
here’s one i built for next to nothing, with attenuators normalled to multiples via switched jack sockets (can be broken to provide completely separate multiples and attenuators if desired, simply by plugging into the first of each 4 way mult):

I rather fancy building one of these; which jacks and pots did you use? I can get the box from RS for about £8
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

Return to “Eurorack Modules”