Tiptop Audio - Trigger Riot

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Tiptop Audio - Trigger Riot

Post by Dob » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 am

I need a trigger sequencer and this module looks like right up my alley.
Mixing divisions together is pretty brilliant, combined with the gate width and probability. So that some backbone triggers will always be fired, that's really important. I've tried probability before, but it didn't work for me, it was tótally random.

I must say that in the first demo video, setting up a 'normal' beat with nice musical variations seems to go just a bit too easy. I mean, I've worked with clock divisions before. Is it the fact that they are mixed and as long as the backbone is there you're fine, or is it just one of those very professionally prepared and edited marketing videos that look like a spontaneous wiggling?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 am

Dob wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 am
I must say that in the first demo video, setting up a 'normal' beat with nice musical variations seems to go just a bit too easy. I mean, I've worked with clock divisions before. Is it the fact that they are mixed and as long as the backbone is there you're fine, or is it just one of those very professionally prepared and edited marketing videos that look like a spontaneous wiggling?
I don't know what demo video you're referring to, but I can confirm that "setting up a normal beat with nice musical variations" is quite easy indeed. Still, TR is a much richer experience than just a combination of clock divisions, and the pulse width, shift and random parameters provide lots of variation, and happy accidents as well.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:38 am

dbeats wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 am
Dob wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 am
I don't know what demo video you're referring to, but I can confirm that "setting up a normal beat with nice musical variations" is quite easy indeed. Still, TR is a much richer experience than just a combination of clock divisions, and the pulse width, shift and random parameters provide lots of variation, and happy accidents as well.
Thanks, it seemed to be like that, just wanted to be sure. I think it was the Mylarmelodies video, the first one on the Tiptop product page video's.
From all the trigger sequencers I've been interested in, this remains a solid first in my shortlist. Its concept is so simple yet powerful. I like the combination of being able to do exactly what you envisioned together with having happy accidents around the corner.

On the expensive side too, though
How do the encoders hold up over time?

biggerovski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by biggerovski » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:09 pm

Has TipTop updated the software since they've introduced the new look? It's another piece I feel like I didn't give enough time. I swapped it out with Euclidean Circles, which I love, but it's always been in the back of my mind.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:36 pm

biggerovski wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:09 pm
Has TipTop updated the software since they've introduced the new look? It's another piece I feel like I didn't give enough time. I swapped it out with Euclidean Circles, which I love, but it's always been in the back of my mind.
The last software update was July 9 2020. There are no updates in the works at the moment.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

mr.pink
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mr.pink » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:32 pm

Still not a day goes by where I think how nicer it would be to use the main encoder to select modes without having to press the mode button. Please remove the timeout, it's a small update but a huge one in ergonomics and usability. It's a shame the code is not open source as you already provide such a great method for firmware updates.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 pm

mr.pink wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:32 pm
Still not a day goes by where I think how nicer it would be to use the main encoder to select modes without having to press the mode button. Please remove the timeout, it's a small update but a huge one in ergonomics and usability. It's a shame the code is not open source as you already provide such a great method for firmware updates.
Sounds like you're trying to give feedback to TT here? I doubt they'll see this. Maybe try their social media channels.

mr.pink
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mr.pink » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:02 am

We see this! However, at this time we have so many large projects in development that getting back to the Riot code (almost 9 years of it!) will take some time.

Most people actually like the timeout for the Mode encoder change so it is very difficult to determine what to do with that. One thing that will certainly not happen is multiple versions of the code based on personal preferences!
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”