Eurorack for glitch/noise

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Dedal
Common Wiggler

Post by Dedal » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Doepfer 118 must h@ve IMO
Jupiter storm and benjolin are great noise oscS

+ for WMD modules

Clouds in madness also would be perferct for drones and noises

Also noise Reap “flux” will help and of course, king of insane - Broken Tape Simulator
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

subliminal drew
Learning to Wiggle

Post by subliminal drew » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:24 pm

The 4ms Swash was the module that moved me from pedals to Eurorack. Still regularly used to scratch a specific noise itch.
Recently built the NLC Brain Custard, which is now pushing the Swash out for cross-modulated madness pulsation noise, however. More knobs and more CV as well.
Ieaskul Mobenthey's Fourses, I believe, moves the same direction as the Brain Custard, but obviously with the Peter B design aesthetic.
Both the 4ms choices take external audio input though, in case that's a factor.

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:27 am

Dedal wrote:Doepfer 118 must h@ve IMO
Jupiter storm and benjolin are great noise oscS
+1 for Benjolin. It can make gnarly sounds and it can also be used to trigger envelopes in a wonderfully jagged manner.

Edit: Also, Qu-Bit Prism for extreme comb filtering and mangling the frozen audio buffer.
Last edited by motorhead412 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:52 am

subliminal drew wrote:The 4ms Swash was the module that moved me from pedals to Eurorack. Still regularly used to scratch a specific noise itch.
Recently built the NLC Brain Custard, which is now pushing the Swash out for cross-modulated madness pulsation noise, however. More knobs and more CV as well.
Ieaskul Mobenthey's Fourses, I believe, moves the same direction as the Brain Custard, but obviously with the Peter B design aesthetic.
right on, thanks for addressing my points. i have a mild blinkenlight fetish, but i'll definitely check out the NLC module. i've had a chaotic noise skiff of andrews planned out for a bit, this would be a good excuse to move it forward

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:58 pm

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:12 pm

They're on modulargrid, you just have to check the 'Show other/unknown modules' box when searching.

parasabda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parasabda » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Highly recommend a looping delay or other beat slicers / repeaters. Very helpful for creating these textures. I like the DLD from 4ms, its my go to for chopped up stuff. Rhythmically triggering the reverse function makes it even more fun!

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:04 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:They're on modulargrid, you just have to check the 'Show other/unknown modules' box when searching.
Ah, OK - thanks.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:09 pm

subliminal drew wrote:The 4ms Swash was the module that moved me from pedals to Eurorack. Still regularly used to scratch a specific noise itch.
I bought a pre-built Brain Custard to compliment my Noise Swash, and found I couldn't get with it. So, I sold it. My Noise Swash will NEVER leave my rack.
*phnert*

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:40 am

I was listening to “Hub” from Chiastic Slide tonight and it sounded like there was an acoustic upright bass on it! The rest sounded more like a bunch of slow motion samples from a machine shop with pneumatic tools fed through delay and bit reduction.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:29 am

parasabda wrote:Highly recommend a looping delay or other beat slicers / repeaters. Very helpful for creating these textures. I like the DLD from 4ms, its my go to for chopped up stuff. Rhythmically triggering the reverse function makes it even more fun!
yea, re delays and how they add to the sound, i used to use a morphagene to do that a while ago for that effect, but it was never live audio capture. i sampled the sounds before recording then modulated it after. never could work out how do get that done.. so i'm looking to maybe add a phonogene to help get at these sounds again. the phonogene seems more suited (in my mind anyway) to live destruction.

with the morpha, i never felt like i was using it to the fullest potential, it was always a prerecorded rhythmic drone/noise aspect of a patch. no fault of the module, i'm just learning i prefer things that aren't so open ended and dont' have a complicated interface.

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm

interesting how this thread was resurrected a couple times. seems we have a lot more options for noisey/glitchy modules than in 2013, which is awesome.

the benjolin and noise swash are my favorites for noise. i also use the phonogene, anti-oscillator, loquelic iteritas(self patched), and fuzz factory quite a bit.

most recently ive been using the nebulae2 in circular recording mode which is really cool, error broken tape machine, and ive been messing with distortion/filter feedback(with a plague bearer, a vca, and my SVF) inspired by the schlappi 100 grit, the block digram of all the feedback routing is on his website. need to get a 100 grit, it seems amazing.

i was aware of the X1L3 stuff but never really checked it out in detail until recently, the shard seems insane.

also i should note, sometimes you cant beat using an external distortion pedal to thicken or harsh up some modular sounds. not sure why it took me so many years to realize that, was trying to keep it in the box for whatever stupid reasons.
Żłób modules, pcbs, and kits available at:
http://zlobmodular.com/

My Eurorack compositions for vinyl "Tholins of Kharon" is out 11/23/19
http://zlobmodular.com/music/

Solo modular synth recordings using Buchla, Serge, and Eurorack:
https://onurzlobnicki.bandcamp.com/album/

Eps by my metal band
http://burningchurches.bandcamp.com/releases

bibleblack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bibleblack » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Just wanted to chine in that x1l3 modules are great and using some filtering can get more subtle glitchy noises than are in a lot of the demos.

Also surprised that no one mentioned folktek matter as in the demo bids he even references his live of the clicks and cuts series on mille plateaux.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:14 pm

Just got a Matter II and I can concur
*phnert*

Accent
Common Wiggler

Post by Accent » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:28 pm

A combo I’ve been recently very fond of is the Dave Smith DSM03 into the 2HP Freez, controlled by the Intellijel Planar 2. The DSM03 can provide all sorts of interesting stuff via physical modeling, delays, and filtering, and the Freez is great for all sorts of glitchiness and lofi madness, and putting it all under the control of the Planar 2 lets you tweak it in interesting ways...especially fun for mangling beats. Word of warning-the DSM03 was recently discontinued but can be had for some great prices right now, so now is the time to grab one.

Dedal
Common Wiggler

Post by Dedal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Yep, I totally forgot about freez, but I have it and really love it!
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Zadar isn't that great for making glitched-out percussion sounds

VM
Common Wiggler

Post by VM » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:06 pm

medium Rob wrote:Zadar isn't that great for making glitched-out percussion sounds
No, but it can be a disgusting oscillator :guinness:
Current curator of Perth Ambient.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”