your favorite delay module?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

askek
Common Wiggler

your favorite delay module?

Post by askek » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 am

i'm considering to get a delay for my modular. it could be analogue or digital it just has to sound ace and have all the cv controllable features. anybody have experience with this? maybe tried different ones?

it could also be a multi effect..

cracki
Common Wiggler

Post by cracki » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:36 am

Echophon.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:45 am

Ditto. Tempo sync with multiplication and division, external feedback loop is amazing for inserting filters and such in the path, great sound that can be clean or evolves into a nice overdriven sound with increased feedback. It's super flexible. And that's not even mentioning the pitch shifting capabilities!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:50 am

Modcan dual delay. I'm not really a make noise fan though. It just came out though so few will speak up for it. I've tried all the other delays and the modcan one is better. Easier to control. Has the tempo synced clock divisioms under cv control, two delay paths with stereo option. Lots of cv control.
SunSpots

jeswa
Common Wiggler

Post by jeswa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 am

I just spent 5 minutes playing with the Pittsburgh Modular Analog Delay at Control and was very impressed with it. It's very smooth for a BBD. Even at slow delay rates with heavy feedback it didn't break up. I almost bought it on the spot.

oliver69
Common Wiggler

Post by oliver69 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 am

+1 for Pittsburgh Analog Delay. 8_)

randomseed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by randomseed » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:03 am

Worth looking at the eventide delay stompbox. You can rig a cable to drive it via CV.............

Jus tossing it out there
Wiggle it...just a little bit

anti_climacus
Coffee Shakes

Post by anti_climacus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:06 pm

The Modcan Dual delay is fantastic. It's incredibly powerful and has tons of cv inputs where it counts. The sound is very, very clean, but can be altered with the filter/resonance or by using the resample mode. The routing is also very flexible. I like the Echophon, but I use it more for pitch shifting and murkier spaced out feedback loops.

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 pm

Analogue Systems RS-290 with RS-295 expander. Simply accept not substitutes.

I've written about it extensively and frequently on this forum. Just search for it and my user name and all should be revealed.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Of the ones I have, Echophon has a slight edge. I bet the Modcan would be tops if I owned it.

I really like the Synthtech. It's a lovely sounding device that's very well designed.

I love the Pittsburgh, too. If you plan to abuse the hell out of your delay and don't want to deal with the uglier side of digital, it's worth getting an analog.

Hard to go wrong, I guess.

Junk Rhythm
Big Bottom Shaker

Post by Junk Rhythm » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm

+1 the E580. It's great paired with the E560 as well.

mheumann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mheumann » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I have the Pittsburgh Analog Delay, and I really like it, though be warned that it takes a bit of work to properly calibrate it. There are some nice instructions for doing it at viewtopic.php?t=56277&highlight=pittsbu ... alibration. I don't have the Echophon, but it does seem to be superior in terms of additional features (besides delay). If you don't need those other features, though, the Pittsburgh one is great.

askek
Common Wiggler

Post by askek » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:41 pm

nice. thanks guys:)

i wan't all of them yes!.
it's hard to put them up agains each other since they are probably very different

anyway it doesn't seem like there is that many to choose from actually
how about more analogue delays only pittsburg?

ps:
hello jeswa i love your music!!!! :*

best
aske/badun

cartoonbomb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cartoonbomb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:48 pm

I can't decide on this either. I have plenty of time to think about it though, no modules for a while.

I like the looks of the Pittsburgh but I'm tempted to go with the echophon. On the other hand, the Analogue systems is waaaay smaller and I bet it sounds nice. I think I really just need a basic delay, but I also think I might not know what I'm missing with something like the Echophon.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:49 pm

Kent wrote:Analogue Systems RS-290 with RS-295 expander. Simply accept not substitutes.

I've written about it extensively and frequently on this forum. Just search for it and my user name and all should be revealed.

+1 ! :nana:

cartoonbomb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cartoonbomb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 pm

oooo okay I was thinking of the rs-440 bbd. I think it's the smallest delay module.

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:12 pm

If I want a straight-up delay that can get dirty, I always reach for my Sound of Shadows. It has CV control of everything of importance as well as output and input for injecting another effect into the feedback loop. :nana:

If I want something spatial and lush - the ZDSP with the Dragonfly Delay card.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/

defenestration
Veteran Wiggler

Post by defenestration » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:14 pm

a used sound of shadows is possibly the very best value as far as a euro delay module goes - it is touchy and has a particular sound but it is an overall fantastic module with great features, all in 12hp! the crude VCA and the insert path along with 100% wet as well as mix output are all really killer, encourages a lot of interesting audio routings. it can be tricky to dial in external rate and feedback CVs but I've found it's a small price to pay

this recording features heavy usage of a sound of shadows with a synchrodyne in the insert path - there are three sounds getting sent into it I believe, via a send path from an L-1 AC-DC mixer, which it is also patched into, generating a feedback loop. the crunchy noisy sounds are a double andore set up as a 'mini-synth'

http://soundcloud.com/maxmarco/chicken-pickin-cigarette

I recently got the euro Modcan dual delay and it's great and I'm :fap: ing all over it, fantastic clean sound, can get a bit dirty, powerful features conveniently packaged etc., but the sound of shadows has a special place in my heart and oozes 'character'

I have been curious about the synthtech e580, have been meaning to go dig for good demos on that one - at that price level though the lack of clock sync/tap-tempo mode has kept me away so far

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 am

Here's one you may have missed:

http://snazzyfx.com/?p=366

komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by komyta » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:38 am

:eek:

Is this a soon-to-be Eurorack module ?
I love the High Cut feature.

Well done, sir. :tu:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 am

Oops shouldn't post if it suggests Euro (someone else said that today too..) - so, no, def. not Euro!

komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by komyta » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 am

:lol: No problem !

I was thinking :"Is he getting rid of bananas? No way!"

Then is it an update of your BugBrand modular system PT delay module ?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 am

Ha - you know my banana love..
Just another standalone from me - updating the PT Delay from a couple of years back (yes, somewhat similar heart to PT Delay module, but way more involved // extra wrappings to make it play well standalone in the studio).
Lusciousest 'digital' delay I think you'll find.
Sorry for the offward slant derailment, but sometimes... standalone may be of interest to modular peoples.

komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by komyta » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:34 am

BugBrand wrote:Sorry for the offward slant derailment, but sometimes... standalone may be of interest to modular peoples.
Sure. So far my favorite delay device is the Moog MF-104z.

But when playing outside I'd be happy to have an Eurorackmounted echo machine.

That's why I'm waiting for the Modcan Dual Delay to arrive at Schneider's.
And also because sometimes I'd like cleaner echoes.
Plus the voltage controlled sync tempo division feature is brilliant. :hyper:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”