your favorite delay module?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Re: your favorite delay module?

Post by Nonlocal » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:56 am

Hoping to resurrect this thread since it's been about 8 years. Looking for a few pros and cons of your favorite delay modules. I may be lacking in this area with only a rainmaker and magneto (partially because they take up so much damn space) and am considering switching one for something smaller but still interesting enough, maybe a Sarajewo or chronoblob2.
I'll start:

Rainmaker
pros
- customizable taps give you almost endless possibilities, ​extremely useful for working with sequences and for creating synchronized ambience.
- the presets are all fantastic
- randomization is achieved relative quick and easy
- a lot of fun to dedicate a whole day just focused around rainmaker.
- almost always ends up as way more than just delay, and often as becomes the voice all itself rather than just an effect
cons
- comb filter sounds kind of meh in my opinion, though maybe I'm just not a huge fan of comb filters in general
- menu diving is sometimes annoying, and I occasionally just go to one of the presets when I get too lazy.
- Not sure if this is just with my unit, but I get a lot of digital pops/glitches when changing certain parameters and presets

Magneto
pros
- excellent representation of a tape delay, practically instant beautification of any signal you put into it
- shifting delay times
- a clock output for each of the 4 playback heads
- unsurprisingly the spring reverb is great quality
- also has looping and sampling capabilities
- can self oscillate and create some gorgeous ambience on its own
cons
- controlling loop times with knobs can be a bit tricky to use, causing me to not really use it as much.
- loops don't save when you switch back to delay mode (I think unless I'm just dumb, please correct me if I'm wrong)
- No cv control on the four tape quality characteristics
- kind of with you could customize the delay times for each playback head

biggerovski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by biggerovski » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm

I totally agree with you on all the Magneto points. I know it feels like a module designed by a pedal company, but they're a great pedal company. I love my Timeline and El Cap outside of the case. Would love to see a Meris module! I like the 4ms DLD, but it's SO clean! Sparkling! I actually like the noise of the Mimeophon everyone complains about. It sounds a bit like my RE-501 when it hasn't been serviced in awhile. I've also been running a lot patches through the Strega delay for a bit of grit and noise, kinda like the Lyra module, but less mangled. Okay, I'll stop!

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Post by Nonlocal » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:23 pm

biggerovski wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm
I know it feels like a module designed by a pedal company, but they're a great pedal company.
I actually find that pedal companies make fantastic modules more often than not, Strymon, Earthquaker, Zvex, etc. Would love if Electro-Harmonix got in the game.

jbiggerovski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jbiggerovski » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Nonlocal wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:23 pm
biggerovski wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm
I know it feels like a module designed by a pedal company, but they're a great pedal company.
I actually find that pedal companies make fantastic modules more often than not, Strymon, Earthquaker, Zvex, etc. Would love if Electro-Harmonix got in the game.
OMG how can we get an EHX memory man in a module? You know they’d be so affordable, too!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:11 pm

Hmmm . . . I've always been light on delays. I have a Mooer Ocean Machine dual-delay and a Source Audio Collider reverb/delay, but that's it. I've only really used the delay in Apple Logic to get an Alan Parsons'-like, repeating drum beat-effect, which actually worked great for that. Don't recall being able to easily dial that in on the Mooer (just got the Collider, so haven't trident yet).

As I've said I just ordered a Tiptop ECHOZ, and from the demos, I think I'll be able to easily capture that Alan Parsons' delay-effect; though, with his skills, I'm sure they used many other exotic techniques, specifically on the iRobot intro.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:16 pm

Got the Afterneath a few weeks ago, and scooped this up today: https://feedback-modules.myshopify.com/ ... itap-delay

Wasn't really in the market for another delay, but the 30% off sale price with the feature set of this module made me pull the trigger.

Stice
Common Wiggler

Post by Stice » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 pm

jbiggerovski wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:44 pm

OMG how can we get an EHX memory man in a module? You know they’d be so affordable, too!
In one of Mylar Melodies’ videos he talked to a guy who had a Memory Toy that had removed from its case and mounted behind a euro panel.

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Post by Nonlocal » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:49 pm

studio460 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:11 pm
Hmmm . . . I've always been light on delays. I have a Mooer Ocean Machine dual-delay and a Source Audio Collider reverb/delay, but that's it. I've only really used the delay in Apple Logic to get an Alan Parsons'-like, repeating drum beat-effect, which actually worked great for that. Don't recall being able to easily dial that in on the Mooer (just got the Collider, so haven't trident yet).

As I've said I just ordered a Tiptop ECHOZ, and from the demos, I think I'll be able to easily capture that Alan Parsons' delay-effect; though, with his skills, I'm sure they used many other exotic techniques, specifically on the iRobot intro.
Good to know I’m not the only one lacking delay

Crazy that you mention Alan parson I actually just listened to I Robot for the first time the other day, and yeah I was mind blowing. Probably a bit more complex than tip top ;)

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 pm

Nonlocal wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:49 pm

Crazy that you mention Alan parson I actually just listened to I Robot for the first time the other day, and yeah I was mind blowing. Probably a bit more complex than tip top ;)
Haha! Wow—that is freaky! One of the best fucking albums/productions ever. Yeah, probably more than a Tiptop!

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Post by Nonlocal » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:16 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 pm
Nonlocal wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:49 pm

Haha! Wow—that is freaky! One of the best fucking albums/productions ever. Yeah, probably more than a Tiptop!
Super weird!
And yeah every second of it is so masterfully composed. Been meaning to listen to his Edgar Allen Poe album next

Larkstarr
Common Wiggler

Post by Larkstarr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 am

I had Magneto and didn’t love love. Sold it to get the DLD. I had the DLD and loved it. Sold it to get a Chronoblob 2. Sold that and now I’m onto the Mimeophone. Love that one as well. I haven’t had issues with it as others have also picked up an Afterneath which I haven’t really delved into yet.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:25 am

Damn i wish some of the pedal manufacturer are gonna come with their own eurorack version.
I really like Meris/strymon/Source audio.
I also wish they came with like smaller version like designed for eurorack because all of them seems like they are making huge eurorack modules when they come with one
WTB: The Harvestman Hertz Donut MkII, Mimeophon, WMD SSF DPLR, SSF Vortices, Quadrax, Frap tools 321, E560 Deflector Shield, Plum Audio OCP, MI Warps

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Post by Nonlocal » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:09 pm

Larkstarr wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 am
I had Magneto and didn’t love love. Sold it to get the DLD. I had the DLD and loved it. Sold it to get a Chronoblob 2. Sold that and now I’m onto the Mimeophone. Love that one as well. I haven’t had issues with it as others have also picked up an Afterneath which I haven’t really delved into yet.
Curious what you didn’t like about Magneto? And why you sold DLD if you loved it?

Larkstarr
Common Wiggler

Post by Larkstarr » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 am

[/quote]

Curious what you didn’t like about Magneto? And why you sold DLD if you loved it?
[/quote]

I liked Magneto, just didn't Love it. I guess I just didn't gel with it completely. I Sold DLD because I was trying to maximize hp in my travel case and was thinking that the Chronoblob could do everything the DLD did in a smaller form factor. I liked the DLD much better the the Chronoblob. I'm onto the Mimeophone now am extremely happy with it. I guess I just needed to try all the flavours of delay to see which one I liked best.

Hazza26
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hazza26 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:29 am

I've been going round in circles for ages trying to pick the right stereo delay to replace or join my Chronoblob 1. Had it down to Mimeophon, Sarajewo or perhaps DLD. But last night I impulsively pulled the trigger on a 1BIT Multitap Delay. At the current sale price I can buy one of these AND an FX AID for the same price as a Mimeophon. So I can do the delay + 'halo' thing if I want, or a billion other things.

I loved the pristine infinite spacey ambience vibe on the Mylarmelodies Mimeophon video though, not sure if the more BBD style of the 1BIT will get me to the same place? But I was also conscious to pick a delay that covers interesting wiggle territory that my DAW plugins can't.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 pm

studio460 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:11 pm

Nice reference. Perhaps high expectations for a module but I know what you mean.

Love that Alan Parsons reference. That tune reminds me of intros to Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick and Eminence Front... somehow.

I am expecting an Echoz module tomorrow. I also use three Malekko SND/RTN modules with various pedals. Good stuff.
FS: Pedals, Echotron, Mangler, Tascam 238 and DR-03
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=244651

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:41 am

i had a mimeophon for a while but was not happy with its noise floor and other design choices once i spent a few months with it so i sold it, i am really curious in trying out a DLD next, maybe thats more my thing :)

exploring all the delay algos on happy nerdings fx aid XL keeps me occupied in the meantime, those are also really cool to have, its like a mini H9 for the rack hehehe ;P

booger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by booger » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:21 am

Are there any delays and/or reverbs in Eurorack format (currently in production) that use PT2399 chips?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:27 am

booger wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:21 am
Are there any delays and/or reverbs in Eurorack format (currently in production) that use PT2399 chips?
Several.

Lyra FX, Crush Delay, DPLR, Field Kit FX all immediately come to mind.

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:40 am

starthief wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:27 am
booger wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:21 am
Several.

Lyra FX, Crush Delay, DPLR, Field Kit FX all immediately come to mind.
NLC: Dispersion Delay, Delay No More, Delay No More 3, and not technically a delay, but Giant B0N0 uses PT2399

Return to “Eurorack Modules”