your favorite delay module?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 am

After trying a few: the ZDSP with Dragon Fly card... or the "Analog Delay" program hands down. Looking forward to trying the Modcan though.
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 am

have tried the following so far:

Sound of Shadows - gritty and mental sounding, doesn't do terribly long delays without getting pretty noisy...does INSANE glitchy madness when modulated down in its longest delay times. very cool - uses a similar - or maybe the same - princeton chip that the Bugbrand does, but the Bugbrand one is more reined in at the extremes, and doesn't get as glitchy/ mad sounding.

Echophon - excellent tempo-synced delay, with nice sounding feedback and extensive modulation possibilities. doesn't do really crisp clean delays though really - feedback always sounds warm and overdriven, but in a nice way

a188-1b - couldn't really get much in the way of usable delays out of it....too much external filtering required, and levels end up really low to avoid distortion at high feedback settings. probably fun for making odd noises, but didn't really float my boat

pittsburgh analog delay - nice and clean, but couldn't get many repeats (no more than 3 or 4) without it spiralling off into screaming feedback. earlier version sounded much better from demos. had two units and both were the same

e580 - very fussy about input levels, and clips horribly when pushed. i think the original ones were set for line level, rather than modular levels. this was remedied with later versions i think. the sound was nice and clean though

the best voltage-controlled analogue delay that i've used so far is the Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy Deluxe. you can get 120-odd repeats out of it without it disappearing into noisy self-oscillation (they just die out evenly). obviously it WILL do noisy self-oscillation if you want though...and it sounds GREAT! you can voltage control the delay time, feedback, and internal LFO modulation AMOUNT or RATE (it has a built-in LFO). it also has a send/ return loop. no clock noise. sounds excellent....but isn't a module obviously

am interested in how the Modcan one turns out

cartoonbomb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cartoonbomb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 am

Any opinions on the RS-440?

pianoscope
Common Wiggler

Post by pianoscope » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 am

tc d-two (and it's earlier incarnation the 2290) doesn't get mentioned much but is a good sounding delay with some unique multi tap editing options. For feedback a well looked after tape unit or the mf104. My most useful delay in performance is the Digitech time bender as I can switch between 2 delay settings in real time via expression pedal. This stops the delay being "noticed" as such. It is also the only pedal available where you can set your own delay pattern by tapping.

and,

This bit of a pet peeve of mine as delays are a big part of my music, so apologies if it comes off as a rant.

There are many available delays around, and by and large they all miss the point. Whats the most important aspect of a delay? Time. Therefor one should expect that after over half a century we would have delays that can divide time quickly and easily into any musically useful ratio or length. Unfortunately this is not the case. Pitch shifting, tape sims, analog sims blah blah blah. Delays are primarily about •time•, or should be. But no, simple time and meter orientated tasks are still a hassle.
For example, I am playing in 6/8 at constant tempo. I would like to be able to use this period for simple divisions of time on my delay. I set the bpm, and my hypothetical delay will allow me to immediately select the length in quarters, 8th's 16th's (heaven forbid I suggest irrational rhythmic durations) to lengths of 5, or 7, or 10 or 11, in fact any number I wish for, perhaps only limited by sample length. Why do I have to be stuck with 4,8, 12 or 16? Why do I have to get a calculator or trig via sequencer in 2013 when I want to play in 5/4 and have my delay exactly in 7/8?

Why do builders keep duplicating endless variations of the same thing?

rant off.

komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by komyta » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 am

pianoscope wrote:Why do builders keep duplicating endless variations of the same thing?
My two cents : most of the time, unlike drug dealers, builders/sellers are not users themselves. :lol:

MRTRIP
Common Wiggler

Post by MRTRIP » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 am

matttech wrote:have tried the following so far:

Sound of Shadows - gritty and mental sounding, doesn't do terribly long delays without getting pretty noisy...does INSANE glitchy madness when modulated down in its longest delay times. very cool - uses a similar - or maybe the same - princeton chip that the Bugbrand does, but the Bugbrand one is more reined in at the extremes, and doesn't get as glitchy/ mad sounding.

Echophon - excellent tempo-synced delay, with nice sounding feedback and extensive modulation possibilities. doesn't do really crisp clean delays though really - feedback always sounds warm and overdriven, but in a nice way

a188-1b - couldn't really get much in the way of usable delays out of it....too much external filtering required, and levels end up really low to avoid distortion at high feedback settings. probably fun for making odd noises, but didn't really float my boat

pittsburgh analog delay - nice and clean, but couldn't get many repeats (no more than 3 or 4) without it spiralling off into screaming feedback. earlier version sounded much better from demos. had two units and both were the same

e580 - very fussy about input levels, and clips horribly when pushed. i think the original ones were set for line level, rather than modular levels. this was remedied with later versions i think. the sound was nice and clean though

the best voltage-controlled analogue delay that i've used so far is the Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy Deluxe. you can get 120-odd repeats out of it without it disappearing into noisy self-oscillation (they just die out evenly). obviously it WILL do noisy self-oscillation if you want though...and it sounds GREAT! you can voltage control the delay time, feedback, and internal LFO modulation AMOUNT or RATE (it has a built-in LFO). it also has a send/ return loop. no clock noise. sounds excellent....but isn't a module obviously

I definitely agree with regards to A 188 and also had similar problems with AS RS 440 - with the addition of having to switch on and off my modular a few times before the bbd circuit would engage.

I have Deluxe Memeory Man in combo with Stereo Polyphase which has been is my favourite BBD delay combo so far.

I have Memory man which is nice with tap tempo, reverse echo and loop mode.

I've been seriously considering Echophon - but think I'm might wait for Modcan or try Deluxe Memory Boy......hmmmmmm :hmm: :hmm:

unease
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unease » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:35 am

matttech wrote: e580 - very fussy about input levels, and clips horribly when pushed. i think the original ones were set for line level, rather than modular levels. this was remedied with later versions i think. the sound was nice and clean though
I've been thinking about a E580 but this thing about levels is a concern. I've read that it would work best when feeding it from a matrix mixer (or some other effect send). But what happens if you want to go into feedback and oscillation sounds with such a setup? Would the E580 start clipping in a not so nice way?

Other than that it seems really full-featured, with nice controls and it can do really short times for flanging and Carplus-Strong-like sounds.

causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 am

I've never had a problem with clipping on the E580. Of course you can make it clip, but as with all Synth Tech stuff, you just need to attenuate any incoming signals and then everything is all right.

And while I have much love for the E580, the Sound of Shadows is my favorite modular delay. It has a murky quality to it and just works for me.

I also have an A-188-2. It has its uses but I wouldn't have it as my only modular delay.

I've tried the Pittsburgh and didn't much care for it. The Echophon was kind of cool I guess, but I like the ones I have better than it.
RealDudes wrote:there's only one window in my padded cell and all I can see is a hallway
looks like there's blood on the floor again
Bumply wrote:I just want to leave work right now and listen to a nice triangle wave.

causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:49 am

Double post...double post...double post... :lol:
RealDudes wrote:there's only one window in my padded cell and all I can see is a hallway
looks like there's blood on the floor again
Bumply wrote:I just want to leave work right now and listen to a nice triangle wave.

pjoris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pjoris » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:52 am

You have seen this topic I hope: viewtopic.php?t=82936
E580 will be next (maybe this WE).

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:52 am

matttech wrote:

plus one, the memory boy deluxe is an awesome delay. I have one sitting in front of me and it is a joy to use with the modular or anything else! I think maybe I will try and mod mine to receive analogue clock... should't be too difficult with the tap button?
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:01 am

Kent wrote:Analogue Systems RS-290 with RS-295 expander. Simply accept not substitutes.
INDEED this is the king, next would be the Frac Blacet Time Machine, then the crazy great BBD 188 things form Doepfer, they are all great and unique. But the 290....

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:02 am

Kent wrote:Analogue Systems RS-290 with RS-295 expander. Simply accept not substitutes.
INDEED this is the king, next would be the Frac Blacet Time Machine, then the crazy great BBD 188 things from Doepfer, they are all great and unique. But the 290....WAD??

Beermaster
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Beermaster » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:00 am

I've written about it extensively and frequently on this forum. Just search for it and my user name and all should be revealed.
WORD !

RS-290 has so many features ( your's truly had a tiny say on a feature request back in it's early days of conception ) - It can do pseudo time stretch stuff, loaded with assignable controllers and trigger functions with a menu system that is so simple to work with.

It's little brother RS-390 is also a very good too. But the thing that makes them both even better is that they both have stereo outs !

My Fav Analogue Delay has to be the Wilson Analogue Delay

Beer

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:16 am

DonKartofflo wrote:
matttech wrote:

plus one, the memory boy deluxe is an awesome delay. I have one sitting in front of me and it is a joy to use with the modular or anything else! I think maybe I will try and mod mine to receive analogue clock... should't be too difficult with the tap button?

Wow. Now that would get me to buy one! Let me know how you make out!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:32 am

DonKartofflo wrote:
matttech wrote:

The Memory Man Deluxe TT-550 has a clock input AFAIK. I agree that the Memory Boy Deluxe is awesome! Unfortunately, mine just died recently :zombie:

perky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by perky » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Hej Aske..
Echophon!!
:bacon:

senecio
Common Wiggler

Post by senecio » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 pm

My favorite analog delay module (and my favorite module of any module) is not a in Euro format... The Blacet TIME MACHINE!

VC_Wiggular
Common Wiggler

Post by VC_Wiggular » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:57 pm

I've got a Sound of Shadows but no clock sync = :sadbanana:
Modular + Cats + ???? = Profit

Bumply
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bumply » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:24 pm

I have the Z-DSP, Echophon, and Modcan. It's safe to say that I have a thing for delays :hyper: .

I'd say each is great, and I don't so much have a favorite. The Echophon strikes me as more immediately gratifying in terms of experimenting with sound. It does standard delays well - but I tend to use it more for psuedo granular stuff with the freeze input (which is brilliant.)

The Modcan is new...so I'm still playing with it, but its super nice. Very clean, but capable of going beyond that. For time synced delays in stereo, it's the (only?) best. I sold a Strymon Timeline to get it and don't regret it at all.

The Z-DSP does it all nicely, but I really like messing with the digital clock rate...the others can't do anything of the sort.

If I had to pick one to keep, it would probably be the modcan. But I love them all, so they are staying

Knights Who Say Neve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:40 am

No love for the E580 re-sampling mini delay? Sounds great, nice smooth response to knob twiddling and CV, has feedback loop input, not an HP hog.

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:47 am

Well, *I* love it to death :bananaguitar:

unease
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unease » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:52 am

paults wrote:Well, *I* love it to death :bananaguitar:
So, is there really different versions of the E580 with different handling of input levels?

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 am

The first 40 units had input audio set more at line level than "synth" level. I changed it in all units since then (it's 3 resistors).

But in general, in order to get full feedback without clipping, the audio input needs to be less than "full synth" level (10V pk-pk). The tradeoff is output volume without a lot of feedback, don't want it too soft.

Also, you want the largest input so that the SNR is better (the noise floor is generally fixed). So, lots of things that weight one against the other when designing any module.

The maximum (internal) gain at full feedback is around 2.5 - 3, so attenuating the audio input will get you the widest feedback sweeps without clipping and you can "ride the gain" if you know that you don't need all the headroom based on the feedback you need.

Aside: the 10V pk-pk signal spec is a leftover from 35 years ago, when noise was difficult to "design out" because semiconductors were crappy, power supplies were even more crappy and so the only solution was to swing the crap out of the signal. In today's audio world, 1V pk-pk is really sufficient. But, we are 'stuck' with the old standard and in some cases (like this one) all it does is complicate things a bit.

unease
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unease » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 am

Super Paul! Thanks för the clarification!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”