ER-101: Indexed Quad Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:47 am

To get to the multiply and divide settings you need to choose the track first (focus track button and turn left encoder). Then press the Track focus button again to get to the track settings page.

Once here focus the Step Button to set the multiplier value using the left encoder and focus the Duration button to set the division value using the right encoder.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 am

Dear all,

I found this video of the 101 on youtube playing Bach!

I was pretty amazed and baffled about how much work this must have been to dial in all those notes... until I read the comments.
The uploaded claims that he's written a program which converts MIDI to xlm file which the 101 can read and play.
Is that possible?
There seem to be various MIDI to xlm converter even online, like this:
http://flashmusicgames.com/midi/mid2xml.php

but even if I had a xlm file, how do I get it onto my 101 and how do I tell the unit where to save it

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am

Portabella wrote:Dear all,

I found this video of the 101 on youtube playing Bach!

I was pretty amazed and baffled about how much work this must have been to dial in all those notes... until I read the comments.
The uploaded claims that he's written a program which converts MIDI to xlm file which the 101 can read and play.
Is that possible?
There seem to be various MIDI to xlm converter even online, like this:
http://flashmusicgames.com/midi/mid2xml.php

but even if I had a xlm file, how do I get it onto my 101 and how do I tell the unit where to save it
Hey Man,

if you have the ER102, I believe that reads MIDI files.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Ypsi Kid wrote: Hey Man,

if you have the ER102, I believe that reads MIDI files.
Okay, shoot.. so this is only possible with the ER-102 expander?
Because in the video I posted there is no 102 but the uploader claims:
I wrote an application which read MIDI file and converter them to the XML file format that the ER-101 reads
So there should be a work-around?!

qwertyuiop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwertyuiop » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:25 pm

You can manipulate the snapshot files, which are stored in XML. More info on the OD site here: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-101 ... shot-files

The you transfer over with the programmer: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-101/Programmer

But it is going to require writing a program in your language of choice to convert a MIDI file to a snapshot, there's no automatic way of loading a MIDI file on the 101.

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Check the manual for the er102 to check on loading midi files - pg. 26:

https://docs.google.com/a/orthogonaldev ... mJlMWJlM2E

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 pm

I'm really struggling deciding between an ER-101 and the Nerdseq. I currently use Rene v1, PP&Brains, along with sequencing from Ableton or the Octatrack via the CV.OCD. I'm looking for something multi-channel that can do variable step length, which both the ER-101 and Nerdseq would do.

I'm most attracted to the ER-101 but I'm concerned about the amount of math I would have to do in my head to get my patterns the right length once I start playing with step length and also the one step editing process.

Nerdseq seems to more in some respects but is also less flexible in others, so I'm interested in hearing anyone's opinion who's had both. Thanks!

cityz3n
Common Wiggler

Er101

Post by cityz3n » Tue May 07, 2019 12:45 am

I was also trying to decide between the er101/er102 combo and the nerdseq.
After hours of tutorial watching and manuals reading I choose the er101/er102 combo for following reasons:
-change length of a step in the sequence (also possible in the nerdseq but in a different way, I found the er101 way more intuitive)
-all parameters immediately viewable per step
-the screens are very readable from a distance
-no menu diving
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ER-101: Indexed Quad Sequencer

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 am

Hello, I am thinking of picking up an er101 (again) but the reason I sold it was: when triggering samples, using gate to trigger the sample and cv to select the sample, the CV for selecting the sample would not register until the next trigger - effectively the first time you trigger a certain sample, it will play the sample previously selected to the one you intend to play. Does that make sense? Is it fixed yet? Many thanks to anyone who can lmk

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu May 21, 2020 11:25 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 am
Hello, I am thinking of picking up an er101 (again) but the reason I sold it was: when triggering samples, using gate to trigger the sample and cv to select the sample, the CV for selecting the sample would not register until the next trigger - effectively the first time you trigger a certain sample, it will play the sample previously selected to the one you intend to play. Does that make sense? Is it fixed yet? Many thanks to anyone who can lmk
That sort of thing happens with tons of sequencers though - the CV changes some tiny fraction of a second after the gate. The fix is the same as with any other sequencer - add a tiny delay to the gate using a single segment of stages or a dedicated trigger/gate delay. Some samplers like Assimil8or can account for that delay internally. Based on some cursory googling the delay on the er-101 is about 3ms and this is still a thing that happens.

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Fri May 22, 2020 12:25 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:25 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 am
That sort of thing happens with tons of sequencers though - the CV changes some tiny fraction of a second after the gate. The fix is the same as with any other sequencer - add a tiny delay to the gate using a single segment of stages or a dedicated trigger/gate delay. Some samplers like Assimil8or can account for that delay internally. Based on some cursory googling the delay on the er-101 is about 3ms and this is still a thing that happens.
Thanks, yes that's a good workaround. Not ideal, though. I've had tons of different eurorack sequencers and I don't think any had the same problem. Certainly pams, hermod, performer, marbles, o_c... None of these have laggy cv output. For such an expensive sequencer it's disappointing.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun May 31, 2020 11:16 am

Is anyone else having issues with the programmer? I have been able to use my programmer since updating to a modern Mac OS. Without the 102, it's impossible to import/export sequences any other way. Attempting to open in Catalina, it tells me that "the develops needs to update this application" or something similar.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Return to “Eurorack Modules”