ER-101: Indexed Quad Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

skkatter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skkatter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:45 am

Jaypee wrote:...I sold my ER 101 to buy an Eloquencer. Then I just did the opposite. Sold my Eloquencer to re-buy an ER 101.
Why did you switch back? I've got an ER101 which I'm happy with but was also looking at the Eloquencer.

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Sequencer Step Length

Post by Koryo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:55 pm

youwe9 wrote:Hi,

Is there any other hardware sequencer that can do what the ER-101 can:
Changing the length of one step and thereby changing the length of the whole pattern...?
The XOR - NerdSEQ does this too.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:19 pm

zengomi wrote:There are many sequencers and many types of sequencers.

ER -101 is unparalleled.
Agreed :nana:

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:19 pm

:doublepost:

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:11 pm

skkatter wrote:
Jaypee wrote:...I sold my ER 101 to buy an Eloquencer. Then I just did the opposite. Sold my Eloquencer to re-buy an ER 101.
Why did you switch back? I've got an ER101 which I'm happy with but was also looking at the Eloquencer.
For that exact same reason:
2disbetter wrote:
Thanks! I picked up a toolbox and decided to hold off on the 101/2 combo. After using the toolbox I'm still totally hopeful for improvements to it as the sequencer is pretty disappointing. (The hardware is great and I'm still patient because the software can be improved. And even if it doesn't any other module they release on the series 2 hardware I can use in the future. One of the better 1010 value propositions.)

2d
I don't have time to wait on improvement features. Tired of it. Very frustrating. Specially when making music is your day job.

I'm sure Eloquencer will be great at some point though!
And will probably re-buy it! Lot of potential!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Sebastian Cain
Common Wiggler

Post by Sebastian Cain » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:52 pm

For those that opted for the nostalgia panel version, do you find it’s easy to read the white labels or do you wish you had gone for the black printed labels?

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:15 am

Sebastian Cain wrote:For those that opted for the nostalgia panel version, do you find it’s easy to read the white labels or do you wish you had gone for the black printed labels?
Went with Nostalgia for all 3 O|D modules. White text is not a problem.

Sebastian Cain
Common Wiggler

Post by Sebastian Cain » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:41 am

zengomi wrote:
Sebastian Cain wrote:For those that opted for the nostalgia panel version, do you find it’s easy to read the white labels or do you wish you had gone for the black printed labels?
Thanks zengomi - order placed :banana:

Montgomery Word
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Montgomery Word » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:32 am

Sebastian Cain wrote:
zengomi wrote:
Thanks zengomi - order placed :banana:
you won’t regret it.

sauflesautres
Common Wiggler

Post by sauflesautres » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm

I asked OD about this color choice for use in not great lighting. If i remember correctly, he told me it was it was a good choice.

Which i can confim. Very legible to me in medium light (a few 50 watt halogens in a basement).

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:58 pm

If anyone does not have an ER-101 and is wondering if it can be used to sequence more than 4 modules/voices, I just uploaded this patch where I use the ER-101 to sequence 7 separate parts

Kick
Snare
Hats
Bass
Pads
Lead
Plucked strings

the other spare CVs went to CV inputs on some module to change stuff :)

it's just a patch I was messing about with, before an in-depth full review which will be coming soon

[video][/video]

AndrewWigglins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AndrewWigglins » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Is it possible to dial in the smoothing (glide) amount per step on the er-101 or is it always a fixed amount (time) based on the tempo?

I've read through the manual, however all I see is the smooth button which can be applied to track/pattern/step but not way to adjust it for an individual value per step.

Somewhat surprising as I would have thought that such a feature would be right in the wheelhouse of this type of voltage/step seuqencer.

Any thoughts?

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 am

AndrewWigglins wrote:Is it possible to dial in the smoothing (glide) amount per step on the er-101 or is it always a fixed amount (time) based on the tempo?

I've read through the manual, however all I see is the smooth button which can be applied to track/pattern/step but not way to adjust it for an individual value per step.

Somewhat surprising as I would have thought that such a feature would be right in the wheelhouse of this type of voltage/step seuqencer.

Any thoughts?
From the manual:
The smoothed voltage transition starts when the gate goes low and proceeds until the next step. In other words, the length of a smoothed transition is DURATION minus GATE.

AndrewWigglins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AndrewWigglins » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:18 am

The smoothed voltage transition starts when the gate goes low and proceeds until the next step. In other words, the length of a smoothed transition is DURATION minus GATE.
I read that part. Just wanted to see if there was a maybe something in the manual I missed in regards to being able to control the rate.

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 am

AndrewWigglins wrote:
I read that part. Just wanted to see if there was a maybe something in the manual I missed in regards to being able to control the rate.
But that is controlling the rate :hmm: Or am I misunderstanding your question.

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:14 am

It's just a linear transition.

So, if you have a step that's length is 12 and the gate's length is 3, then it will take from 4-12 (a length of 8) to slide linearly from note 1 to note 2.

If your step is 12 and your gate is 9, then the transition is 10-12, or 3x faster.

If your step length is 12 and your gate is 12, there's no transition, but your gate will fire on the next step.

Finally, if your step is 12 and your gate is 13 or more, then there's not transition and no gate when you get to the next step.

AndrewWigglins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AndrewWigglins » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 pm

akrylik wrote: But that is controlling the rate :hmm: Or am I misunderstanding your question.
It would be safer to assume I'm not explaining it well or confused on some point. I need more sleep.

I don't actually own the er-101, so looking more closely at how the gate/duration interact, it looks like you can change the time of the smoothing by shortening or lengething the gate, while keeping the duration constant.

Basically I was just wanting to be able to set the time of the smoothing like you would with a slew limiter. Anyhow, just ignore me now. I just need to try if for myself or think about it longer, I'm just going to confuse everyone otherwise.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:43 am

smoothing is directly related to the gate length of your step (duration), that's how you dial in the rate of the slew, this is from the manual:

you see how clock pulses, duration, gate length and slew correlate.
it's a bit abstract to understand all features without sitting in front of the sequencer, but going through the manual while playing with it makes everything pretty clear.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:14 pm

AndrewWigglins wrote:
Basically I was just wanting to be able to set the time of the smoothing like you would with a slew limiter. Anyhow, just ignore me now. I just need to try if for myself or think about it longer, I'm just going to confuse everyone otherwise.
You can set the time of the smoothing as you do with a slew limiter. Just mind that there is a sequence running and the time is also related to the sequence. Other than a slew limiter the 101 knows when the next step occurs and finishes the transition in time. When you use an external slew limiter you have to dial it in to have the exact amount of slew time - otherwise there would be a step when the slew is longer than the actual step.

The downside of this implementation, which is irritating to me as something I did not expect, is that you cannot have smoothing of the CV and tie two notes at the same time as a tie is achieved by making the first gate as long as the step is and thus connecting to the next step. But then there is no smoothing anymore. On the other hand with smoothing applied the gates of two steps are always separate.

Also when you use am ADSR or AR envelope the slew is taking place while the release phase is fading the note out. :despair:

AndrewWigglins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AndrewWigglins » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 am

Thanks for the clarification guys. I belive I understand now.

For any lmitations in regards to the smoothing on the er-101, I would probably just pair it with a seperate slew limiter.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:16 am

Hi, I hope it is ok to post this here as it may help to get a good look at the ER-101 and ER-102 as they are not readily available in shops where you could try them out etc...

This is a mini-series building a thorough review of the ER-101 and ER-102. Final conclusion of the review will be at the end of the mini-series.

For now there is Part 1
[video][/video]
This covers the overall system and focuses on the ER-101 User Interface, Steps Editing, Patterns, Clock, Voltage Tables, Loops, Gates Dur/Length, etc...

In Part 2: ER-102 'PART' section
[video][/video]
I start with a track with loops using only the ER-101 then use the ER-102 enhancements, Reset To, changing parts manually, CV/Gate control, Self Patching the ER-101 into the ER-102 Part CV/Gate, etc...

In following parts I will cover the rest of the ER-102 (Groups, Recording, SD Card, etc...)

I hope this is useful and it is ok to post here.

Thanks, enjoy :)

amop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by amop » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 am

@SonicVoltage - I watched both of these and really enjoyed them.

No. 2 on the ER-102 Parts section in particular was really informative. And that’s a very instructive patch you use for that. It inspired some new ideas for utilizing my -102.

There’s very little information out there on these modules in use, so much appreciated.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:52 pm

amop wrote:@SonicVoltage - I watched both of these and really enjoyed them.

No. 2 on the ER-102 Parts section in particular was really informative. And that’s a very instructive patch you use for that. It inspired some new ideas for utilizing my -102.

There’s very little information out there on these modules in use, so much appreciated.
Excellent, thank you!

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Leverkusen wrote:.... :despair:
I know what you mean, maybe an alternative slew mode would be good, so you can still have slewed notes and legato gates.

I’ll request something in the od forum.

rklem
Common Wiggler

Post by rklem » Tue May 01, 2018 5:01 am

In following parts I will cover the rest of the ER-102 (Groups, Recording, SD Card, etc...)
Looking forward to the next one! I have an ER-101/102 on order, so I'm very keen to learn more about it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”