ER-101: Indexed Quad Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:46 pm

rob_dylan wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:As fas as I understood Brian has stopped equipping shops cause he cannot build enough to satisfy their needs anyway and earns more by selling him direct of course. So it did not make any sense for him to sell via resellers.

Import tax and VAT should be the same though, regardless of purchasing directly or via a reseller. It's just a bit more cumbersome to deal with warranty repairs then.

Well, that makes perfect sense for a 1-man company with a limited production scale I guess. Also, considering the exchange rate between dollar and euro at the moment the unit costs less than I initially assumed. I'll anyway have to wait until January and see how things are then. Thanks for the input!
The ER-101 is worth the wait. At least the lead time is better than waiting for a Cirkclon. ;)

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:28 pm

void23 wrote:The ER-101 is worth the wait. At least the lead time is better than waiting for a Cirkclon. ;)

Yes, you're right. January is not too far off and it will also give me a bit of time to read up on the module meanwhile.

After watching a few videos on Youtube now, I'm still a bit confused about the ER-102 extender and its function. Is it necessary to have this extender to be able to chain together individual patterns and tracks, to have them loop a certain number of times, before switching to another pattern/track? Is the ER-102 a kind of 'song mode'-module?

geetee
Common Wiggler

Post by geetee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:51 pm

rob_dylan wrote:
void23 wrote:The ER-101 is worth the wait. At least the lead time is better than waiting for a Cirkclon. ;)

Yes, you're right. January is not too far off and it will also give me a bit of time to read up on the module meanwhile.

After watching a few videos on Youtube now, I'm still a bit confused about the ER-102 extender and its function. Is it necessary to have this extender to be able to chain together individual patterns and tracks, to have them loop a certain number of times, before switching to another pattern/track? Is the ER-102 a kind of 'song mode'-module?
er-102 part section is basicly where you set a start, end and a reset point for each of tracks on the er-101.

so that could be a whole pattern, or it could just be a section within a pattern (say step 4 to step 10 or whatever you define). or it could be across multiple patterns: just one part could be 2,3,4 - up to 99 pattern long if you wanted.

so, this how you can build "parts" of your song. so it's more flexible and open ended than just chaining patterns together, which is the more traditional approach in advanced sequencers.

However, the er-102 on it's own cannot sequence the parts into a full composition. you'll need an external sequencer to sequence the parts. that's what the "select" and "activate" inputs are for. "select" is where you put in a cv source where you dial in a voltage to select a certain part, and the "activate" input is expecting a gate signal to play/start the part which you have selected. you can also just do this by hand on the er-102.

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:15 pm

geetee wrote:er-102 part section is basicly where you set a start, end and a reset point for each of tracks on the er-101.

so that could be a whole pattern, or it could just be a section within a pattern (say step 4 to step 10 or whatever you define). or it could be across multiple patterns: just one part could be 2,3,4 - up to 99 pattern long if you wanted.

so, this how you can build "parts" of your song. so it's more flexible and open ended than just chaining patterns together, which is the more traditional approach in advanced sequencers.

However, the er-102 on it's own cannot sequence the parts into a full composition. you'll need an external sequencer to sequence the parts. that's what the "select" and "activate" inputs are for. "select" is where you put in a cv source where you dial in a voltage to select a certain part, and the "activate" input is expecting a gate signal to play/start the part which you have selected. you can also just do this by hand on the er-102.

Thanks for taking the time trying to explain these things, I appreciate it a lot! I'm continuing to watch and re-watch the ER-101/102 videos available on Youtube, and slowly my brain is coming to terms with how this sequencer works. I really like it and can clearly see its enormous potential.

One thing that came to my mind, concerning the need of another sequencer to control the 'select' and 'activate' inputs on the ER-102: Wouldn't it be possible to, by sacrificing/dedicating one of the 4 tracks on the 101 to all duties related to the 102, sculpt out full length songs, with all the changes they contain, in a controlled way?

geetee
Common Wiggler

Post by geetee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:45 pm

rob_dylan wrote:
geetee wrote:er-102 part section is basicly where you set a start, end and a reset point for each of tracks on the er-101.

Thanks for taking the time trying to explain these things, I appreciate it a lot! I'm continuing to watch and re-watch the ER-101/102 videos available on Youtube, and slowly my brain is coming to terms with how this sequencer works. I really like it and can clearly see its enormous potential.

One thing that came to my mind, concerning the need of another sequencer to control the 'select' and 'activate' inputs on the ER-102: Wouldn't it be possible to, by sacrificing/dedicating one of the 4 tracks on the 101 to all duties related to the 102, sculpt out full length songs, with all the changes they contain, in a controlled way?
Oh yeah, that's one thing i forgot to mention :D

but yeah that would be possible, although probably not that easy in practice.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm

rob_dylan wrote:

Keep in mind that parts, as set up with the 302, always contain all four tracks. You cannot easily use one track as a master track sequencing the part changes because it would be affected by them too. You might put something like a simple pattern chain together by dividing the clock down for one track and program the transition to the next part to it but it would not be a free running track that could just play something like AABBCABC.

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 am

Leverkusen wrote:Keep in mind that parts, as set up with the 302, always contain all four tracks. You cannot easily use one track as a master track sequencing the part changes because it would be affected by them too. You might put something like a simple pattern chain together by dividing the clock down for one track and program the transition to the next part to it but it would not be a free running track that could just play something like AABBCABC.

I understand what you are saying here and it makes sense. It would also be a shame to have to waste one whole track just to make the sequencer make a simple pattern change at a pre-specified time. But I am probably still missing something here, because it still seems overly complicated just to create a simple string of patterns and having them play together in a similar manner like you mention, AABBCABC, and then having that combination a patterns running in a loop for, let's say 10 times, before the sequencer change to a different set of patterns, like DDEEDDFG for example. I see how these changes can be done manually but wouldn't having "a whole song" running in this kind of way free up both hands for more fun stuff like tweaking filters and adding various live-craziness to the evolving sounds etc.?

Sorry if my question is unclear or obvious. Next up: RTFM!

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:07 pm

does the ER-101 reads midi signals?
or do I always have to dial in sequences by hand?

qwertyuiop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwertyuiop » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 pm

It doesn't understand MIDI. But, the ER-102 expander can load MIDI files and also record cv (so you could use another midi -> cv converter and record a sequence in real time that way).

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:07 am

Just bought an ER 101 and ER 102...you're reading a happy man !!! :party:

Been missing my 101 the second after I sold it. I'm so excited to have an er 102 now! My fav sequencer (with René ofc). So different, so complementary!

Will never sell it again!! <3
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Keep in mind that parts, as set up with the 102, always contain all four tracks. You cannot easily use one track as a master track sequencing the part changes because it would be affected by them too. You might put something like a simple pattern chain together by dividing the clock down for one track and program the transition to the next part to it but it would not be a free running track that could just play something like AABBCABC.
If you use one track as the master control track with no reset, start or end loop points, to control the part numbers for the whole pattern. Then this would work fine and you wouldn't't need any extra sequencer.

So you could have:

Track one: melody, several parts programmed with the reset, start and end loops set to different points in each part.

Track two: bass and otherwise as above

Track three: another musical element

Track four: the master part controller, avoid assigning any part behaviour on this track or it is going to get really confusing but otherwise this effectively becomes your other sequencer/controller sequencer.

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Dealing with an odd issue. I have an ER-101 and 102, both on latest firmware. If the 102 is plugged into the 101, the 102 is stuck with "SY.NC." on its screen and the 101 just says "!4-bit" and no buttons work (and LEDs don't change). If I unplug the 102 from the 101, everything is fine on the 101 and it works like normal.

Cable is definitely plugged in properly, and lots of power. I just uploaded the firmware again just in case.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:28 am

BTG wrote:Dealing with an odd issue. I have an ER-101 and 102, both on latest firmware. If the 102 is plugged into the 101, the 102 is stuck with "SY.NC." on its screen and the 101 just says "!4-bit" and no buttons work (and LEDs don't change). If I unplug the 102 from the 101, everything is fine on the 101 and it works like normal.

Cable is definitely plugged in properly, and lots of power. I just uploaded the firmware again just in case.
In my experience you find the best support with any kind of issue and get very fast response by asking Brian on the forum or sending him a message:

https://forum.orthogonaldevices.com

http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/contact/

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Anyone here knows if Brian stopped his business for this year?
Sent him an mail 3 days ago but haven't heard back.
Also he hasn't logged in here at Muffs for over a year..

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 am

Portabella wrote:Anyone here knows if Brian stopped his business for this year?
Sent him an mail 3 days ago but haven't heard back.
Also he hasn't logged in here at Muffs for over a year..
He seems active on his forums.

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 am

BTG wrote:Dealing with an odd issue. I have an ER-101 and 102, both on latest firmware. If the 102 is plugged into the 101, the 102 is stuck with "SY.NC." on its screen and the 101 just says "!4-bit" and no buttons work (and LEDs don't change). If I unplug the 102 from the 101, everything is fine on the 101 and it works like normal.

I had that problem awhile back, it ended up being due to me somehow plugging the expansion cable from the 102 into the power bus :doh:

I contacted brian, sent him my unit for repair, and got it back a short while later all fixed and working again.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:05 am

I can't seem to get my 101 into DFU mode for updating its firmware.
It's running 2.03 and I am running OS X 10.13.6

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BailyDread » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:17 am

jsut got my 101 from japan last night! it is beautiful, well made, and an absolute intuitive joy to use. i'm already considering buying another for my next system!!

quick question... any advice on syncing the 101 to a beatstep pro? when I send the reset from the drum out, there is some weird behavior going on. im thinking maybe a gate out from pamelas new workout may be better for the reset? hmmmm

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:36 pm

BailyDread wrote:jsut got my 101 from japan last night! it is beautiful, well made, and an absolute intuitive joy to use. i'm already considering buying another for my next system!!

quick question... any advice on syncing the 101 to a beatstep pro? when I send the reset from the drum out, there is some weird behavior going on. im thinking maybe a gate out from pamelas new workout may be better for the reset? hmmmm
https://forum.orthogonaldevices.com/t/l ... p-pro/2011

Looks like someone already had your strange reset behaviour.
Is it similar to his problem ?

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BailyDread » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Zerius wrote:
BailyDread wrote:jsut got my 101 from japan last night! it is beautiful, well made, and an absolute intuitive joy to use. i'm already considering buying another for my next system!!

https://forum.orthogonaldevices.com/t/l ... p-pro/2011

Looks like someone already had your strange reset behaviour.
Is it similar to his problem ?
yes, i saw that thread too but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here. i'm pretty sure it's the exact same problem, really... was wondering if anyone had a workaround.

might be just one more thing about the BSP to be disappointed by... between this and the sudden change of analog clock in stuff w/ the firmware update, can't say i'm too pleased with arturia at the moment.

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Hello. Was wondering if there's anyone there from the Netherlands who's bought the ER101. Would like to buy it in january, but I'd like to hear about first hand experiences with import taxes. Super psyched about this seq, but also a bit hesitant because of importing.

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Mend wrote:Hello. Was wondering if there's anyone there from the Netherlands who's bought the ER101. Would like to buy it in january, but I'd like to hear about first hand experiences with import taxes. Super psyched about this seq, but also a bit hesitant because of importing.
I bought a 301 a couple of months ago and had to pay 21% taxes of the selling price at the postoffice to get it. I knew I had to so had calculated that before. Just calculate it beforehand to avoid surprices.
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Yloopz wrote:
Mend wrote:Hello. Was wondering if there's anyone there from the Netherlands who's bought the ER101. Would like to buy it in january, but I'd like to hear about first hand experiences with import taxes. Super psyched about this seq, but also a bit hesitant because of importing.
I bought a 301 a couple of months ago and had to pay 21% taxes of the selling price at the postoffice to get it. I knew I had to so had calculated that before. Just calculate it beforehand to avoid surprices.
So basically the $600 is excluding taxes? I'm trying to get this right. $600 + possible 21% taxes? Or is it always $600 + 21%?

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BailyDread » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:30 pm

happy to report that the er-101 is launching play and resetting perfectly when the reset signal is a gate from Pamelas new workout. pam's clocked by BSP.

my clocking chain:

expert sleepers USAMO->MIDI in to beat step pro -> bsp clock out->buffered mult->clock into er-101/clock into pam's new workout-> 1/32 gate out of pam -> reset of er-101

finally have tight sequencing and clocking to daw!!

also, the er-101 clocks tight to the USAMO's shuffle function :love: how cool is that!! :hihi:

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:37 am

a quick question: how can I change the tracks clock division or multiplier?
the manual says WHAT it can do but now how ..
wondering what the button combination is? :despair:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”