BMC010. Dual Decaying Noise/Dual Delaying Noise

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Taylor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Taylor » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:06 am

I made this DDN panel to test how my engraver would do at routing directly out of sheet aluminum. Gorsh, that made a racket. The engraved lettering got airbrushed black, steel wooled back and clear coated. The wonky Jack is my fault, not the machine's.

oscarthesquirrel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oscarthesquirrel » Fri May 22, 2015 11:54 pm

Anyone got a picture of this module with a Clarke68 panel ? I'm about to build mine, will probably use my stock of 9mm or 16mm Alpha pots and wire these to the board.

Just wondering about PCB orientation and how anyone else has gone about this...vertical or horizontal mounting ?
"You can never have too many LFO's..."

MacSynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MacSynth » Tue May 26, 2015 3:46 pm

oscarthesquirrel wrote:Anyone got a picture of this module with a Clarke68 panel ? I'm about to build mine, will probably use my stock of 9mm or 16mm Alpha pots and wire these to the board.

Just wondering about PCB orientation and how anyone else has gone about this...vertical or horizontal mounting ?
Here is a picture of my build with the Clarke68 panel: Image

Somehow I just blew the second channel today. I just get continous noise from channel 2 regardless of incoming gates and pot/switch-settings. :deadbanana:
It smelled of magic smoke as well...

oscarthesquirrel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oscarthesquirrel » Tue May 26, 2015 10:40 pm

MacSynth wrote: Somehow I just blew the second channel today. I just get continous noise from channel 2 regardless of incoming gates and pot/switch-settings. :deadbanana:
It smelled of magic smoke as well...
Thanks for the pic - horizontal mounting with the pots as the mounting point. Lucky the board is *just * narrow enough to do this .

Sorry to hear about the magic smoke... a short or loose wire somewhere ???

Also - where to source the 10K R2R resistor array in a SIP package ? I can't find one anywhere and am gonna just make my own otherwise...messier but do-able

MacSynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MacSynth » Wed May 27, 2015 10:23 am

oscarthesquirrel wrote:Thanks for the pic - horizontal mounting with the pots as the mounting point. Lucky the board is *just * narrow enough to do this .

Sorry to hear about the magic smoke... a short or loose wire somewhere ???

Also - where to source the 10K R2R resistor array in a SIP package ? I can't find one anywhere and am gonna just make my own otherwise...messier but do-able
I got the resistor arrays as part of a synthcube-kit. Normally I source them at www.reichelt.de.

I hope I will find time soon to research where the magic smoke went. Cabling seems to be ok.

oscarthesquirrel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oscarthesquirrel » Sat May 30, 2015 1:25 am

Finally tracked down the 6 pin R/2R network array as the Murata product is obsolete:

Mouser Part No: 652-4606X-R2R-103LF
Manufacturer Part No 4606X-R2R-103LF
Manufacturer: Bourns

7 pin 100K
Mouser No: 652-4607X-1LF-100K
Mfr. #: 4607X-101-104LF
Manufacturer: Bourns

Yeah - I know I could fabricate them myself, but this is just neater :oops:

MacSynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MacSynth » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:46 pm

:hyper:
The module is in working order! A short between an unused wire from the powersupply and the case happened and caused the soldering on the module to melt and connect two solderingpads. I might have used too much solder on them. After fixing that everthing behaves as it should.

I had a short moment of shock though. After the incident a few of my other modules did not work as well! Synthesis Technology E350, Doepfer A-143-2 & two A-111-1, Strakal Brulu and Rebel Technology Stoichea were dead. :eek:

I had just rearranged my rack that day and had not connected power to these modules. :yay: I think I aged a few years until finding out what was wrong. :bang:

oscarthesquirrel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oscarthesquirrel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:12 pm

:cloud:

Great news

10/10 for persistence troubleshooting.

Here's hoping my build goes smoothly when I finally get around to it :tu:

oscarthesquirrel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oscarthesquirrel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:14 am

@MacSynth

Which jacks did you wire as switching jacks.

Obviously (I think), the 2 outs are mono, but the build calls for 3 mono and 3 switching...and the panel front isn't helping me... seems like 2 parallel builds for channel 1 and channel 2 (i.e. CV in, gate in, CV out), so would have expected an even number of mono vs switching

Appreciate a quick steer pls as to which are the switching jacks....

Thanks
Steve

MacSynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MacSynth » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:10 am

Hi Steve,

I used this documentation to build the module.

Cheers!

oscarthesquirrel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oscarthesquirrel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:13 am

MacSynth wrote:Hi Steve,

I used this documentation to build the module.

Cheers!
Yeah - me too - but it doesn't tell me what DK1, DK2, T1 and T2 are relative to the Clarke68 panel.

From the schematics -DK1 and DK2 are analog inputs (not GATE inputs?)

SO presumably T1 and T2 are gate inputs...in which case I can follow the wiring diagram.

Is that the correct interpretation ??

Thanks

MacSynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MacSynth » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:23 am

I just had a look at my module and I wired the CV inputs with switching jacks. They are marked DK1 and DK2 in the documentation. T is Trigger/Gate input and O is output. Hope this helps!

1upding
Learning to Wiggle

Re: BMC010. Dual Decaying Noise/Dual Delaying Noise

Post by 1upding » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:48 pm

Coming late to the party. I built one of the synthcube kits. I'm running the dual decaying noise firmware on the rev1.0.0 pcb. I've probed all the pins on the main IC and the inputs all make sense but I'm not getting any digital signal (pre d2a conversion network). Can anyone tell me what the expected output is on pin 7, 14, 15, 16? I am seeing the 5v trigger and all other pins are pulled to ground or 5v reference from the toggles.

Thanks for any help!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”