Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode

Post by sduck » Thu May 21, 2020 8:37 pm

It's a euro sized module, so it shouldn't present any mechanical problems to move it up to 4U. Just a matter of redesigning it, and using flying wires, or come up with an adapter board of some kind. I put one of these behind a 5U panel several years ago.

ImageRyk m185 Sequencer front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

ImageRyk m185 Sequencer back 1 by Stephen Drake, on Flickr
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

tronotape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tronotape » Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 pm

sduck wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:37 pm
It's a euro sized module, so it shouldn't present any mechanical problems to move it up to 4U. Just a matter of redesigning it, and using flying wires, or come up with an adapter board of some kind. I put one of these behind a 5U panel several years ago.

ImageRyk m185 Sequencer front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr
ImageRyk m185 Sequencer back 1 by Stephen Drake, on Flickr
What you did is awesome! I may be mistaken, but I believe the new slide switches are not capable of being panel mounted and the PCB for the euro version is too large for a single Buchla format panel, and there has been no release of the current versions wiring diagram or an option to just order the control PCB. I’m personally looking into ways I could do this myself, including just DIYing my own Buchla dual panel that drops the euro in with a small board to convert voltages and adds some feature external to what is already there. I’d love to hear ideas tho, it’s definitely a lot of work to adapt something like this and may not be worth Ryk doing so to such a niche audience, which is very understandable.

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Fri May 22, 2020 3:24 am

tronotape wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 pm
I’ve seen a bit of discussion on future format PCBs/panels, would this include a version adaptable to 4U or Buchla?

Thanks.
Hello

Yes, the idea is that there will be different Panel PCBs for different formats, but using the same duaghter board
for the main circuitry.

But as I am a one person outfit, the other format versions will not be as fast as one would hope.

Next in line, and probably the least popular, is the Roland 100m format version.
Following that I will try and get the 5U version sorted.

Cheers
ryk
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri May 22, 2020 4:17 am

tronotape wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 pm
I may be mistaken, but I believe the new slide switches are not capable of being panel mounted and the PCB for the euro version is too large for a single Buchla format panel, and there has been no release of the current versions wiring diagram or an option to just order the control PCB. I’m personally looking into ways I could do this myself, including just DIYing my own Buchla dual panel that drops the euro in with a small board to convert voltages and adds some feature external to what is already there. I’d love to hear ideas tho,
Taking a quick look at the kit photo Ryk posted, it looks like the only way to compress this into a single Buchla module is to combine the LEDs and Pots.

Shear the PCB close to the pots. Drill-punch holes in this 'new' pots PCB at the shaft position of each pot. Trade the supplied pots for the clear shaft type. Fly-wire the LEDs to glued positions behind the sheared pot PCB. Either drill holes at the top of your preferred knobs for the LEDs to shine through, or use a clear type.

Now it gets tricky, and how much so is masked by the infernal black solder mask 'everybody' these days seems to think is cool. You'll need to cut away as much of the PCB next to the switches as you can. Removing the LED positions, and thankfully what appears to be few components. They look to be diodes or resistors. How many traces will be affected is impossible to see in this photo and due to the black solder mask of death. Wire the two PCBs together with these stragglers flown in between, and you should have a single wide Buchla M185. Design and fab or have fabbed a Buchla style panel.

edit: although it sounds like a lot, it's well within the capability of a skilled builder. If the present 'panel' PCB is four layers, this could change significantly.

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Fri May 22, 2020 5:21 am

KSS wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:17 am
tronotape wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 pm
I may be mistaken, but I believe the new slide switches are not capable of being panel mounted and the PCB for the euro version is too large for a single Buchla format panel, and there has been no release of the current versions wiring diagram or an option to just order the control PCB. I’m personally looking into ways I could do this myself, including just DIYing my own Buchla dual panel that drops the euro in with a small board to convert voltages and adds some feature external to what is already there. I’d love to hear ideas tho,
Taking a quick look at the kit photo Ryk posted, it looks like the only way to compress this into a single Buchla module is to combine the LEDs and Pots.

Shear the PCB close to the pots. Drill-punch holes in this 'new' pots PCB at the shaft position of each pot. Trade the supplied pots for the clear shaft type. Fly-wire the LEDs to glued positions behind the sheared pot PCB. Either drill holes at the top of your preferred knobs for the LEDs to shine through, or use a clear type.

Now it gets tricky, and how much so is masked by the infernal black solder mask 'everybody' these days seems to think is cool. You'll need to cut away as much of the PCB next to the switches as you can. Removing the LED positions, and thankfully what appears to be few components. They look to be diodes or resistors. How many traces will be affected is impossible to see in this photo and due to the black solder mask of death. Wire the two PCBs together with these stragglers flown in between, and you should have a single wide Buchla M185. Design and fab or have fabbed a Buchla style panel.

edit: although it sounds like a lot, it's well within the capability of a skilled builder. If the present 'panel' PCB is four layers, this could change significantly.
Hello

The Roland PCB is 8inch tall, so could be adaptable to the 7inch 4U format, although the problem
would be the sockets [ they are 1/4inch jacks ? ] Maybe no MIDI for 4U ! :eek:

[ see atatched pic ]

It depents a bit also on switches, the current Euro version uses smaller switches [ than the 100m version ], which
obviously take up less room, but perhaps are not quite chunky enough for 4U feel or 5U look . . .

Cheers
ryk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tronotape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tronotape » Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am

That’s great to know there will be more versions available in the future. I’ll be keeping an eye out for it.

ringroad1
Common Wiggler

Post by ringroad1 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 am

Hey ryk - sorry this is a bit OT but I've been trying to work out the size of the 100M PCBs for a personal project cloning the original boards - your 185 front panel board there looks like it's 19.7cm tall: is that exactly the same size as the originals?

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Fri May 22, 2020 2:15 pm

ringroad1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 am
Hey ryk - sorry this is a bit OT but I've been trying to work out the size of the 100M PCBs for a personal project cloning the original boards - your 185 front panel board there looks like it's 19.7cm tall: is that exactly the same size as the originals?
Hello.

Probably not the same size, no.

Also the originals have one PCB [ with all the circuitry ] mounted at 90 degrees to the front panel, so are much deeper
and a second panel PCB mounter behind the panel

Mine are both parallel with the panel so more slim.

I can measure a 100m PCB if you need.

ryk

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm

ringroad1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 am
Just measured a 130 PCB

Panel PCB is 94 x 198

Main PCB is 101 x 198
IMG_3368.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ringroad1
Common Wiggler

Post by ringroad1 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm

No way! A thousand thanks Ryk!

I was just over a half-a-centimetre out on the height. My version of the VCA arrived yesterday, my estimate based off photos and the internet generally was 99mm x 192mm - I'll tweak it for the remaining boards.

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 am

I am super excited for the 5u version!

Thanks for all your work Ryk!
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Sat May 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Anyone in Canada received an M185 kit yet? Mine shows having left the UK on April 28 and no sign of it here. Tracking # doesn't exist according to Canada Post.

Ryk, I've also sent you an email :?

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Sat May 23, 2020 3:02 pm

adnauseam wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:22 pm
Anyone in Canada received an M185 kit yet? Mine shows having left the UK on April 28 and no sign of it here. Tracking # doesn't exist according to Canada Post.

Ryk, I've also sent you an email :?
Hi

Thanks, I got your mail.
Unfortunately due to this awful virus situation, international
shipping is taking a crazy long time.

Let's hope it arrives soon.

Regards
ryk

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 am

FWIW I just shipped something to Canada and it is currently stuck in tracking limbo as well

smiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smiler » Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 am

Got mine up and running in an evening! The build documentation is really nice.

Question for ryk if one might be so cheeky and ask. Where do you source the black pot and jack nuts? I'd love to buy a ton of them.

needto
Common Wiggler

Post by needto » Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 am

gaston
Common Wiggler

Post by gaston » Tue May 26, 2020 9:45 am

Just finished the first build out of two! Very good documentation, was a breeze to build it.

One question though, am I correct to understand that there is no setting for MIDI IN channel, when using it as a MIDI-CV converter?

Another thing is, when I do the hardware calibration/testing, sometimes when turning the max stage encoder the led jumps to first position and then immediately back. So it would go like 1, 2, 3, quick 1, 4, for example. Is this expected? Doesn't seem to affect it in "play mode".

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue May 26, 2020 10:32 am

Check your encoder pin soldering.

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Tue May 26, 2020 12:41 pm

smiler wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 am
Got mine up and running in an evening! The build documentation is really nice.

Question for ryk if one might be so cheeky and ask. Where do you source the black pot and jack nuts? I'd love to buy a ton of them.
Hello

Thanks, glad the build went ok.

I designed the jack-nuts and had them made in China, also the pot-nuts [ no design needed ]
The jack-nuts are similar to Bananuts, but I made the diameter smaller, I find the Bananuts a big too fat

ryk

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm

gaston wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:45 am
Just finished the first build out of two! Very good documentation, was a breeze to build it.

One question though, am I correct to understand that there is no setting for MIDI IN channel, when using it as a MIDI-CV converter?

Another thing is, when I do the hardware calibration/testing, sometimes when turning the max stage encoder the led jumps to first position and then immediately back. So it would go like 1, 2, 3, quick 1, 4, for example. Is this expected? Doesn't seem to affect it in "play mode".
Hello

Thanks !

Currently the MIDI2CV works in Omni mode, but it could be changed in the next firmware to be the same
channel as the one set in the Sequencer Menu.

The Max Stage control is actually a rotary switch, the reason you see it jump to 1, between settings is that it is
a break-before-make type, so if you turn slowly, you will see it jump to 1 between making contact with the next setting.

ryk

gaston
Common Wiggler

Post by gaston » Tue May 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks for the quick answer, yeah I figured it was something like that, just wanted to make sure before I build the next one (when the missing pcb gets here ;) ).

I would surely vote for having it the same as the midi out channel! Did some sequencing from my mpc trying it out, and it feels a bit unnecessary giving up an entire midi-port for one voice on the eurorack. :)

Sethvl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sethvl » Wed May 27, 2020 6:02 am

ryk wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:29 pm
Hello

Can you check R28 ?
It should be 120k, but if read back to front it looks the same as 13k, maybe they got mixed up.
If this is true then R16 might be wrong too [ R16 is the real 13k ]

This resistor feeds the PWM smoothing circuit for CH1 CV.
If this was a lower value such as 13k, this might explain why they voltages your are getting on
CV1 are too high.

If these resistors are ok, then can you try the calibration but checking the voltage of
IC7 PIN7 [ this is the where the is CV generated, before it is re-routed through the portamento circuit.

Cheers
ryk
Hi ryk,

I checked R28, it is 120k. To be sure I checked R16 too, it is 13k.
I tried calibrating again while checking the voltage at pin 7 of IC7, but the result was the same.
I did notice the voltage jumps in 0.65V steps (2.4V at stage 1, 3.05 at 2, up to 5.0V at stage 5). :hmm:

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Wed May 27, 2020 8:27 am

Sethvl wrote:
Hi ryk,

I checked R28, it is 120k. To be sure I checked R16 too, it is 13k.
I tried calibrating again while checking the voltage at pin 7 of IC7, but the result was the same.
I did notice the voltage jumps in 0.65V steps (2.4V at stage 1, 3.05 at 2, up to 5.0V at stage 5). :hmm:

Hello

The only remaining components to double check for CH1 CV are the following.

C12 - 1nF [ looks very similar to C8 ]
R32 - 10k

Also:
Also have a look under IC8, to make sure the VIAs are not bridged.
Have a look under VR1, to make sure the VIAs are not bridged.
Have a look under R28, to make sure the VIAs are not bridged.

ryk
Last edited by ryk on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm

needto wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 am
videos
Thanks for these! Also love your avatar, that guy is my synth hero.

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Wed May 27, 2020 3:17 pm

medbot wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm
needto wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 am
videos
Thanks for these! Also love your avatar, that guy is my synth hero.
But wait. . .
Theres more !

Return to “Music Tech DIY”