[DISCONTINUED THRU HOLE]-[BUILD] Neutron Orgone Accumulator.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:50 pm

hirada wrote:Case sensitivity (or lack thereof) of the OS is very likely the cause. config.h and Config.h are different files on unix like operating systems. Not sure about apple though.

Are those warnings new to you as well?
MacOS is based on the BSD kernel and userland utilities, it is possible to set it up so that it's not case sensitive, but by default it is.

ambrohski
Common Wiggler

Post by ambrohski » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:08 pm

I checked the thread, but didn't see- Does anyone know where I can get the (obsolete) momentary switch (PVB6 THT OA 300 NS LFS)?

I did see that settings can be made to accommodate the latching switch, but I hoped to get the momentary. I'm really hyped to finish the build, reading through the thread revealed all kinds of capability I didn't realize this thing has. Awesome work Neutron7 :hail:

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:32 pm

There is a panasonic replacement for the latching one that is exactly the same, but i dont think they make a momentary one.

If you are willing to risk it, before i figured out a safe way to do it, i broke a couple of pvb6 latching ones trying to get caps off to change the color, pulling up on them snapped something inside and it became momentary.

ambrohski
Common Wiggler

Post by ambrohski » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:31 pm

I ordered 2 extra latching ones to try just that :lol:

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go

ambrohski
Common Wiggler

Post by ambrohski » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 pm

That totally worked, thanks- a little pressure with a jewelers screwdriver with the switch latched on popped it up...

I just got to the step of checking 3Vref, and the range is around 4V(?)! my sloppiness ordered a 4V variant 4040...

will that be too hot for the teensy? It says 5V tolerant on the spec for the 3.2, but I don't want to
:moneyburn:

edit- According to the spec sheet, it seems the teensy can handle up to 6V, but other stuff gets the 3V. I think I'll just order the right one, unless it might not screw things up to try it :hmm:

Maneville
Common Wiggler

Post by Maneville » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:34 am

Apologies for the possible slight hijack of this thread, but can anyone point me to a Dummies tutorial on upgrading the firmware using Windows?

I've tried following the DivKid video, but can't get the right version of Teensy? Is there an ideal combination of Arduino and Teensy to upload with?

:bang:

TIA, Gurus

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:55 am

Hello,
I've my NOA for a year now (build by myself) and it works fine but it never switches at first power up. I always need to switch on and off 2-3 times.

I'm sure this has been discussed before in here, sorry about it but is there any solution ?
Thanks !

Metatronic Mods
Common Wiggler

Post by Metatronic Mods » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Is there a board layout file or at least a high resolution image of the bare PCB for the 1.05 PCB anywhere?

I had one sent to me for repair, and it has several areas where the soldermask looks like it was ground away with some solder wick, or a chisel. I can't tell just from looking under a microscope whether there are broken traces as well (or just filled in copper islands maybe?) but there's a lot to check for continuity, so a board file or good picture would help immensely. Thanks.
For project updates, Metatronic Mods products, or to inquire about electronics repairs visit my website:

www.metatronicmods.com

Now stocking the 21CFP - A low noise, high current, linear, +5/+12/-12 power supply specifically designed for Eurorack systems. PCB's and mostly assembled kits available.

glennfin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by glennfin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:02 am

I'm finally building my OA that I've had since 2016 and after much trouble, I was finally able to program the teensy with the latest firmware "2.0 for 144mhz overclock"

Question.... I did not make the changes to the code for the overclocking as explained in appendix "B" in the build guide before uploading. Will it still work? or is that change required for it to function.

:hmm:

Thanks very much.

glennfin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by glennfin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm

This one is kicking my butt.. :bang:

Just finished my Orgone Accumulator build, 1.05 PCB. Successful compile and upload to Teensy 3.2 of firmware "orgone_accumulator_2.0_for_144MHZ_overclock".

Power up, the first two Wav LED's dimly lit, third wav led off, "tune" LED on all the time, no output, controls and switches have no effect on anything. It's a brick.

Checked all voltages, +/-3, 1.5v on resistors R21, 22, 23, 24, +/- 12, all good.

All diodes checked for correct placement, tested continuity from Teensy pins to PCB pads on all pins... good.. Also checked solder connections and solder bridges on all Teensy pins and headers.

I'm wondering if this may be Teensy / code related? When I program the Teensy the code compiles without errors and the teensy seems to accept the program... I should mention again, I did not make the code change to run at the overclock condition... wondering if this may also be an issue...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :despair:

synthetek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthetek » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:44 pm

the code change for the overclock is made in the boards.txt file in your Arduino install its not in the OA .ino file I attached the hex file I made that's working on mine, you could try loading it with just the teensy loader instead of Arduino.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glennfin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by glennfin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am

Yes indeed!. That did the trick. Used your hex file loaded with the Teensy loader.. OG working as expected. The change for the momentary "SEL" button is there as well. Awesome. Thank you very much!
Good to know my build was correct!.. whew! :roll:

Also good to know that latest .ino file will not work as compiled unless that change is made to the board file... I better write this all down for the future... :doh:

Thanks again... now it's time to dig into this puppy and see what she'll do. 8-)

Edit; Wow!... some bizzare sounds coming out of this thing!.. I'm digging it!
synthetek wrote:the code change for the overclock is made in the boards.txt file in your Arduino install its not in the OA .ino file I attached the hex file I made that's working on mine, you could try loading it with just the teensy loader instead of Arduino.

synthetek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthetek » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Glad to hear it worked for you! Yes mine has the momentary SEL switch so I made the change for that. I just updated mine a few days ago while rearranging my case so I still had the files on my desktop. :nana:

Sebo
Common Wiggler

Post by Sebo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi:
I think I found a bug in the latest firmware.
I was using version 2.0 of the firmware, overclocked to 120 MHz and all was working perfect.
I recently updated to the 144 MHz overclocked version, and it sounds much better but the PWM out isn't working as it should. I get a square wave no matters where the position knob is, so no PWM, just square wave.
Anyone noticed this?
Sebo
----------------------------------
http://www.cosaquitosenglobo.com/

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm

just scored my one for 150... :party: :hihi: :goo:

from all the uncommon soundsources available this one seems pretty versatile and unique. was lurking for a good opportunity since a few years now...very curious i am now how to play and interact with this module.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 am

slumberjack wrote:just scored my one for 150... :party: :hihi: :goo:

from all the uncommon soundsources available this one seems pretty versatile and unique. was lurking for a good opportunity since a few years now...very curious i am now how to play and interact with this module.
yeah, got a deal on a DIY one from a guy I trusted. Then got they factory version, keeping both, beyond impressed. Can't imagine what it would be like with more CPU power and higher sample and bit rates!

AK/DK
Common Wiggler

Re: [DISCONTINUED THRU HOLE]-[BUILD] Neutron Orgone Accumulator.

Post by AK/DK » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:15 am

Hey,
I built mine a few years ago and been loving it, but I've had a high pitched whine noise in my Eurorack system for a long time and just tracked it down to the Orgone Accumulator. Is creates a digital sounding whine when it's plugged into the power, even when it's not patched in to other modules - the whine gets into all modules connected to the same power supply. I'm guessing it's something to do with the Teensy, maybe the clock, getting into the power supply rails. Not sure if it's on the +/- rails or the ground.

Anyone had this? Maybe there's a filtering capacitor that could be adjusted?

The module is fully working and sounds great, just makes a whine that is annoying.

Cheers,
Ed

labter
Learning to Wiggle

Re:discontinued thru hole Solution

Post by labter » Sat May 23, 2020 10:24 am

hello! my Orgone has the same problem no sound and perfect quallity test of the voltages etc, can you please send me also the hexfile ?

thanks a lot

Quinie
Learning to Wiggle

Re: [DISCONTINUED THRU HOLE]-[BUILD] Neutron Orgone Accumulator.

Post by Quinie » Sat May 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Just finished mine. Do you have pwm out?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”