Recommendations Illuminated magnifier for SMT

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Recommendations Illuminated magnifier for SMT

Post by glennfin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:28 am

Hello;

I need to buy a illuminated magnifier for close in SMT soldering. There are very many different types on E-bay but I would prefer one that clamps to the edge of the bench with high magnification.

Should I look for one with at least 10x magnification? any suggestions?

Although this one isn't a clamp type, I looks to be ideal for SMT soldering. but it's only 4X (16 diopter)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM127-4-BENCH- ... 1438.l2649

The dollar store reading glasses just don't cut it anymore. :lol:

noobyist
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Recommendations Illuminated magnifier for SMT

Post by noobyist » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 am

Hi,
10x magnification might not leave enough room to solder. 3x or 4x magnifiers will give you a bit more space to handle your tools.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:51 am

Thanks for the reply... you're absolutely correct!. I just got my 10X magnifier and I can just barely get the soldering iron and tweezers under the thing... :doh: will order a 4x magnifier....
noobyist wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 am
Hi,
10x magnification might not leave enough room to solder. 3x or 4x magnifiers will give you a bit more space to handle your tools.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:16 am

I have an old computer monitor hooked up to a digital microscope. I use it for inspection but I solder parts without magnification.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

BartBral
Common Wiggler

Post by BartBral » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:46 am

86536-large_default.jpg
I like these kind of magnifiers.
With some types you get a few lenses with different strengths, so you can switch if needed. That little LED-light is useless though! (unless you drop a part and it lands on the floor... Then you can use it a searchlight, but you still have to make the helicoptersounds yourself :hihi: )

With those lamp magnifiers that you clamp to a table (I have one I now only use as a nice lamp): I tend to breath against the lens and it will get fogged glass... Also my nose tends to touch the lens very often a that leaves a lot of greasy stains... So you will have clean it a lot. That is a bit counter productive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ixtern
Common Wiggler

Post by ixtern » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:52 am

I am using such digital "microscope".
Useful magnification for soldering (enough space) is from 5x to 10x, maximum about 50x (for inspection only).
It has 7" LCD HD screen and USB supply and important thing is that you can set microscope not only vertical but at angle also.
Don't pay attention to the marketing bla-bla for this item like like "12MP", "x1200". Despite this it is a good tool for SMT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am

+ 1 for head set. a 2D vision system is fine for inspection but for trying to actually solder stuff like that, not a fan. A headset will be "stereo" so your brain can resolve depth a lot better

I use a Donegan Optivisor, there is a reason every jeweler has one on their head

TheMentat
Common Wiggler

Post by TheMentat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am
+ 1 for head set. a 2D vision system is fine for inspection but for trying to actually solder stuff like that, not a fan. A headset will be "stereo" so your brain can resolve depth a lot better

I use a Donegan Optivisor, there is a reason every jeweler has one on their head
Yup... I picked up one of these on your recommendation a year ot so ago. Just make sure you get the right focal length. It will make the soldering session much more relaxing on the eyes.

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 am

Can I suggest an optical stereo microscope? Best diy purchase I have made. I got neck and back ache from the magnifying visors.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 am

"Stereo" ... isn't it actually "binocular" ???

Also, check in with Member *sduck (former moderator) ... he located a set of LED illuminated headset type magnifiers on Amazon for something like $20. I send him a PM and have him respond in this thread for y'all. :)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 am
Microscopes are advertised as “stereo” which I suspect is short for stereoscopic. Stereoscopic images allow binocular vision.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am

forestcaver wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 am
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Microscopes are advertised as “stereo” which I suspect is short for stereoscopic. Stereoscopic images allow binocular vision.
Shit ... ok ... I had no idea. The spoken/written English language is changing so much and so rapidly any more that I don't pretend to be able to keep up, so I don't even try any more. I suppose I'm becoming lazy, or just couldn't be bothered any more. HA! In any case, thank you for the correction! :)

Also, I sent Member *sduck a notification via PM regarding this thread ... if he has time I'd bet he'll be happy to help here.
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am
forestcaver wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Shit ... ok ... I had no idea. The spoken/written English language is changing so much and so rapidly any more that I don't pretend to be able to keep up, so I don't even try any more.
You must be old (as in centuries-old) !!! Just for shits and giggles I googled the etymology of “stereoscopy” - it claims it is from 1838.... :-)
(Anyway - sorry for the pedantry !!! :-) )
Last edited by forestcaver on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:17 am

double post

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 am

forestcaver wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am
forestcaver wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Shit ... ok ... I had no idea. The spoken/written English language is changing so much and so rapidly any more that I don't pretend to be able to keep up, so I don't even try any more.
You must be old (as in centuries-old) !!! Just for shits and giggles I googled the etymology of “stereoscopy” - it claims it is from 1838.... :-)
(Anyway - sorry for the pedantry !!! :-) )
I'm 59. I'm not old, I'm just lazy I guess. :)

Jim the Oldbie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am

I've just been using one of these little Harbor Freight jobbers. Only trouble I've had is that the head of the lamp won't stoop down low enough to focus on something at table level, so I just set the board up on something. Usually the box the module kit came in is just right for this.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Also, check in with Member *sduck (former moderator) ... he located a set of LED illuminated headset type magnifiers on Amazon for something like $20. I send him a PM and have him respond in this thread for y'all. :)
Ah - I've found that I'm actually able to do most smt stuff just using fairly strong reading glasses. I also have one of those Donegan Optivisors, they do indeed work very well. The one Rex Coil mentioned that I use is the Yoctosun magnifier - https://www.amazon.com/YOCTOSUN-Recharg ... 07T4KPYN2/ - it's a bit lighter than the donegan, and a bit cheaper. Note that there are a ton of similar or almost identical products on amazon/ebay/aliexpress/etc - I don't know if this yoctosun one is better or not, it's just the one I heard about first. Whether or not you prefer one or the other is up to you - they both fit on your head in different ways, some people are going to prefer one or the other.

I also have a nice moveable ring lamp with a built in magnifier - https://gokimco.com/aven-26501-8d-provu ... -lamp.html - as has been mentioned, it's good for inspection, but you have to get too close to what you're working on for it to be used for actual soldering while looking through it. Having said that, I have been able to use it for the occasional smt soldering clean up after the usual mess when soldering down mcu's and such.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

keninverse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by keninverse » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm

Former petrologist. Any compound microscope with two oculars are referred to as stereoscopic microscopes or stereoscopes. I tried headsets but they gave me headaches and blurred my vision after using them for a while so I looked at stereo microscopes. Your eyes will thank you once start using a properly setup boom stereoscope. I got my olympus for $75USD locally that I believe goes 4-40x depending on the oculars.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”