Which TZ VCO to build?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

albinj
Learning to Wiggle

Which TZ VCO to build?

Post by albinj » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:36 pm

I'm looking to build a TZ VCO but I'm not sure which one. The three I'm deciding between are the Ian Fritz Teezer, Weston Precision Audio TZ0 and the Dannysound EN129, and since TZ VCOs are pretty hefty builds, I'd like to be somewhat certain before I dive in.

Stability when FMing is a priority but of course sound will be the ultimate deciding factor. The Weston VCO seems very stable when increasing FM depth based on the video he did. The EN129 seems to have some initial drift based on the DivKid demo. The Teezer seems stable. I like the sound of them all but I think the Weston and EN129 has the edge, at least based on the demos I've heard.

If anyone has any insights or experiences with these oscillators I'd love to hear them :)

I'm also open to other suggestions if I've missed a good VCO.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Which TZ VCO to build?

Post by devinw1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Obviously I can't comment on this without being biased, but since you are considering building mine, I wanted to just say that I just sent The first batch of TZO panel/Pcb/knob sets to Thonk last week so they should have them live very soon!

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:01 am

Following this. I'd overlooked the Weston VCO for some reason. Here's another: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=216777

The Teezer does sound great; it does those spooky textures wonderfully. It isn't as full featured as the others on your list, though, but would make sense if you're going for more Fritz in the long run. You could also insert a comparator for pulse waves.

The EN129 also sounds great, and is capable of a lot more than TZFM. The Weston also looks cool. I'm going to have a close squint at that.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 am

original EN129 as well as the modern dannysound EN129 schematic is online. the original is open source, the latter is ask dannysound. or just build one in secret and never sell it. I don't think that will cause problems for anyone.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm

while i have not built any weston audio modules i have to say that the quality of documentation is unmatched in SDIY land.

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm

If you Haven't checked them out, look into NLC A plague of demons and Wsynth FMOGRE laid out by Timo Rozendal. Have two PODs and an FMOGRE in one rack, very happy with them.

albinj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by albinj » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

devinw1 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:08 pm
Obviously I can't comment on this without being biased, but since you are considering building mine, I wanted to just say that I just sent The first batch of TZO panel/Pcb/knob sets to Thonk last week so they should have them live very soon!
Ohhh, that's nice since I'm based in Europe. Thanks for the heads up :)
Prunesquallor wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:01 am
Following this. I'd overlooked the Weston VCO for some reason. Here's another: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=216777

The Teezer does sound great; it does those spooky textures wonderfully. It isn't as full featured as the others on your list, though, but would make sense if you're going for more Fritz in the long run. You could also insert a comparator for pulse waves.

The EN129 also sounds great, and is capable of a lot more than TZFM. The Weston also looks cool. I'm going to have a close squint at that.
I remember reading about the trapezoid VCO and thinking it was really cool, but I didn't realize that it was TZ as well, gonna check that one out some more.

I think I'm going to go with an oscillator that is somewhat fully featured as this will be the primary VCO in a smaller system, so I think I've ruled out the Teezer for now.
roglok wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm
while i have not built any weston audio modules i have to say that the quality of documentation is unmatched in SDIY land.
I agree fully! I love to read about how things work and Westons documentation is great, both in the thread he made where I read about the VCO first and in the build docs. :)
NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm
If you Haven't checked them out, look into NLC A plague of demons and Wsynth FMOGRE laid out by Timo Rozendal. Have two PODs and an FMOGRE in one rack, very happy with them.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about those two. The NLC one looks interesting, gonna read up on it some more. The FMOGRE might be an option, but I think I'll choose an analog VCO.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm

albinj wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

I remember reading about the trapezoid VCO and thinking it was really cool, but I didn't realize that it was TZ as well, gonna check that one out some more.

That's actually kind of the reason to make a trapazoid in the first place. Due to the fact that it's quadrature (2 waves that are 90 degrees out of phase), it is easy for this type of core to switch from foward to reverse, because at any given time, one of the trapezoids will be resting at + or - 5V and the other ramping up and down, so you just have to reverse the ramp and the state comparisons will take care of the work.

It's of course not the only way to do the job, but it is very slick indeed! If you read Don TIllman's writeup it is pretty informative.

Note, my TZ core is not trapezoid based (it is triangle)..I just find that topology interesting to nerd out on! :D

Return to “Music Tech DIY”