Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

Post by gnsk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:18 am

digix wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:38 am
OK team - I'm getting close to finishing up my build. I've noticed on the images of stock Lyra-8's the I/O board has two leads coming out from a very large solder pad. Nothing is listed in the documentation about it. What's this about? Just ignore it?
it's chassis ground. not used in my case; wooden case.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:27 am

This has been brought up before.

It seems to be an artifact from an older version...ground plane hookup is the consensus right now.

The Lyra seems very sensitive to grounding issues.
----------------------

Flounderguts

LegWyne
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LegWyne » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:03 pm

and EM or static interference. while testing the previously working I noticed the ground hum would increase or decrease if I moved my hand away from or towards one side of the I/O board

klenkstar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by klenkstar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:04 pm

I'm nearly completed with my lyra but I haven't been able to find a good source for the thumbscrews. Does anyone know where I could get some or have some they would be willing to sell?

LegWyne
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LegWyne » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm

If you want a cheap option you could buy some on alibaba (2 months shipping) and substitute standard M3 10mm or 12mm bolts while you wait

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:53 pm

klenkstar wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:04 pm
I'm nearly completed with my lyra but I haven't been able to find a good source for the thumbscrews. Does anyone know where I could get some or have some they would be willing to sell?
klenkstar, welcome to MuffWiggler!

Where are you located? There are several channels to find DIN thumbscrews...if you're in the USA, try computer shops. This style is often used with server racks.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Lemmy
Common Wiggler

Post by Lemmy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 am

LegWyne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm
If you want a cheap option you could buy some on alibaba (2 months shipping) and substitute standard M3 10mm or 12mm bolts while you wait
I'm collecting parts for a Lyra build and I went this path - they arrived within 2 or 3 weeks.

LegWyne
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LegWyne » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Lemmy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 am
LegWyne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm
I'm collecting parts for a Lyra build and I went this path - they arrived within 2 or 3 weeks.
Nice, how was the quality? I ordered mine 5 weeks ago using AliExpress and they haven't shown up yet. Ships seem to take a while to get to Oz tho.

Lemmy
Common Wiggler

Post by Lemmy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:50 am

The quality seems good. These are the ones I ordered - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000145 ... 4c4dzHJQKZ

klenkstar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by klenkstar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:53 pm
klenkstar wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:04 pm
klenkstar, welcome to MuffWiggler!

Where are you located? There are several channels to find DIN thumbscrews...if you're in the USA, try computer shops. This style is often used with server racks.

Thanks! I'm located in the US. There is a microcenter nearby I might scope out first before going the alibaba route. Thanks for the tip!

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:54 pm

It's alive! WOAH man this thing sounds amazing.

Everything works perfect, EXCEPT:

The Hyper LFO doesn't seem to want to modulate the voices. It modulates the delay just fine, but when you flip the switch to "LFO" for modulation source on any of the voices (Total FB knob is turned down, as is Vibrato) the "MOD" knob just messes with the tuning of the voice slightly, and at its max position it pretty much silences the voice.

Everything else works great! Delay, Distortion, all the voices sound, hold knobs, the FM modulation between voices, everything! EXCEPT the Hyper-LFO modulating the voices. The LED also seems a little dim.

Now one thing to mention is I am still waiting on the headphone AMP IC (TDA2822), but I didn't think this would affect the Hyper LFO's ability to modulate the voices.

I've got proper voltages across the board, except where the TDA2822 chip should live. I'm assuming that will read properly right as soon as that chip is in there.

Any thoughts anyone?

EDIT: I re-seated all the dupont headers, now it's all working perfectly :woah: :tu:
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:26 pm

Wow! Looking great! (nice panel) :hihi:
----------------------

Flounderguts

LegWyne
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LegWyne » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 am

It really is a very nice panel Flounderguts. I'm looking forward to seeing a completed unit!

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:26 pm
Wow! Looking great! (nice panel) :hihi:
Oh its a beauty panel, from our dear friends over at www.flundrton.com

They're even working on other cool panel concepts check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=234558&start=50#p3349177

The guy has some really cool stuff Flounderguts! You should check it out ;)
Soundcloud

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:01 pm

I'm working on an IO panel and enclosure for the standard DIY build.

Question: for the jacks on the back, which do you prefer; text right side up (see it from back), text upside down (see it when peering over from front), or text on top of main panel AND right side up?

And do we all like our power switch on the back?

This is what I've got right now...jacks right side up, power legend upside down. I just liked it, but it doesn't make a whole lotta sense...
io mockup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------------------

Flounderguts

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:18 pm

gnsk wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 pm
i grounded on the board, my case is wooden.
I stole your picture for my site too gnsk, fire me a PM if you want me to take it down. I credited you as well!
Flounderguts wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:01 pm
I'm working on an IO panel and enclosure for the standard DIY build.

Question: for the jacks on the back, which do you prefer; text right side up (see it from back), text upside down (see it when peering over from front), or text on top of main panel AND right side up?

And do we all like our power switch on the back?

This is what I've got right now...jacks right side up, power legend upside down. I just liked it, but it doesn't make a whole lotta sense...
I'm going to be alllll over this. I was thinking of doing a clear acrylic, but if I can be one of the first "Standard Flounderguts builds", well that would be super cool.

Yes love my power switch on the back. Not sure what footprint your going for, but this guy seems pretty standard:

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/rocker ... ap-in.html

I'm a little biased because this is the switch I chose... But regardless, throwing my two cents in.

As far as the legend, I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense, but that is kind of going with the whole theme of the LYRA-8. It doesn't make sense, and that's how we like it :sb:
Soundcloud

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gnsk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:08 pm

steviet wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:18 pm
I stole your picture for my site too gnsk, fire me a PM if you want me to take it down. I credited you as well!
Thanks for the credit; "Thanks again gnsk."
De nada. my pleasure.

LegWyne
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by LegWyne » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:20 pm

lasesentaysiete wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:39 pm
does anyone else find the control board design an odd choice? I mean that instead of having the pcb-mountable components mount to the pcb via regular footprints, we get this sort of smd type style with THT components. Anyone know why this is?

I actually don't mind it, btw. But it seems an unnecessary amount of work. :despair:
presumably to allow for a diversity of component choices. parts with different physical dimensions can all be "panel mounted" to the PCB without causing an issue. im still new to complex builds and found it quite straightforward to solder the control board using leftover resister leads as recommended.

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re:

Post by gnsk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:45 pm

lasesentaysiete wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:39 pm
Anyone know why this is?
IMG_0134.JPG
factory built is with pcb mount.
For DIY version, it it easier to swap pots and components.
For example, T18 pots to 6.35mm pots etc.
Just my thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:29 pm

more CCCP capacitors arrived today.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Return to “Music Tech DIY”