The 2014 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Adam-V
Count Modula

The 2014 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread

Post by Adam-V » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 am

My first for this year:

6U Ikea Rast Base with inbuilt utility strip.

Started just before Christmas and the first of a set of 4 that I hope to complete before I go back to work.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Mod Edit -

Link to 2013 Thread

viewtopic.php?t=74730

ali_g12
Common Wiggler

Post by ali_g12 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:26 am

Oakley MOTM Modular started end of October 2013. Consisting of:

PolyDAC
2 x SVCOb
1 x VCO Controller
1 x VC/LFO
1 x COTA Filter
1 x Multimix
1 x Dual VCA
1 x VC/ADSR

Front panel is on 3mm dibond (straight to aluminium print from www.whitewall.com). Chassis from allmetalparts.

To be built - MFOS 16 Sequencer, Barton Nice Quantizer

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:46 am

My christmas / new year project - custom USB/MIDI controller and later possible CV+gate source (not sure if I want to go there given limited space) with obvious inspiration:

Should finish writing the firmware one day soon. I'm calling it "Herro Kitty" for now.

Not really a synth DIY project per se, but probably close enough to be posted here...
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

meatcliff
Ultra Wiggler

Post by meatcliff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:03 am

we (Flower Electronics) started building this at about 8pm New Years Eve. Jessica's got a show in Columbus Friday and we didn't have any stock built, and she needed a new synth. the goal was to have it be able to fit in the flight case + on a plane leaving 9am today. The last knob went on the front panel at about 5:50am this morning (Jan 2nd).

3 saw vcos, 3 multi mode filters, two white/pink noise sources, (Raytheon) transformer coupled mic preamp, instrument preamp, 2 wave folders, 1 noise amplifier (w/ "clean" & filtered out), 4 channel mixer.

physically and mentally exhausted. essentially made out of scrap in far from ideal conditions at breakneck speed.
Last edited by meatcliff on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:25 am

meatcliff wrote:3 saw vcos, 3 multi mode filters, two white/pink noise sources, (Raytheon) transformer coupled mic preamp, instrument preamp, 2 wave folders, 1 noise amplifier (w/ "clean" & filtered out), 4 channel mixer.

physically and mentally exhausted. essentially made out of scrap in far from ideal conditions at breakneck speed.
that owns! care to divulge more about what's inside once you survive from the trip? is that pieced together from ready-made pcbs (cgs etc.) or did you design / improvise some/all of that stuff yourself? that feels pretty similar to my self-contained "doomsday machine" box i've been planning to build for a while, excpet mine was going to include a delay line or two...
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

frequencycentral
Kicking the shit out of your speakers

Post by frequencycentral » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:14 am

First build of 2014! Ghetto joystick, from CGS schematic - not a new FC look, just wanted to build something kinda funkee lookin for purely personal use.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:24 pm

oh nuts, didn't see this thread and started another similar one. Hopefully that one will get deleted or fade from memory or whatever. Here's what I posted there:

First of the new year, actually mostly made last year, final wiring done on January 1! A dual Benjolin - yes, two! 2! Duo! Why settle for just one when you can have 2?? This was actually decaying.sine's idea, and he provided me with the pcbs, I just designed the panel.

Dual Benjolin front by sduck409, on Flickr

Dual Benjolin profile by sduck409, on Flickr

Dual Benjolin back by sduck409, on Flickr

some will notice that the LEDs aren't connected - still waiting on a quad led driver. And I'm thinking of changing out some of the knobs to a less-than-uniform-black style. And I found out about the Epoch Modular version of this after designing the panel - I may have to do another version with some of their ideas.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

jmcecil
low order biterness

Post by jmcecil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:47 pm

nice stuff as usual sduck, my parts for the romanf 266r in MU should arrive any day now .. that'll be my first 2014 project.
music noun, often attributive
: personal interpretation of ones auditory experience beyond basic sound recognition
: anything that makes your parents say "turn that shit down"

meatcliff
Ultra Wiggler

Post by meatcliff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:57 pm

flts wrote:that owns! care to divulge more about what's inside once you survive from the trip? is that pieced together from ready-made pcbs (cgs etc.) or did you design / improvise some/all of that stuff yourself? that feels pretty similar to my self-contained "doomsday machine" box i've been planning to build for a while, excpet mine was going to include a delay line or two...
We (Flower Electronics) based it off 2 boards from unbuilt Jealous Heart's, and one prototype JH board that's a bit different. Wavefolders and mixer are on perfboard. PSU is +/-5 since a stock JH runs on a 9v battery with a rail splitter. A lot of the case was off the cuff, the panel is mostly the same layout repeating 4 times with a few holes left off.

I have a ton of spring reverb tanks, but we didn't have enough time to include one. There's a handful of tweaks that need to be made but right now it's functional and sounds amazing. It'll probably get recorded at some point.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 am

meatcliff wrote:We (Flower Electronics) based it off 2 boards from unbuilt Jealous Heart's, and one prototype JH board that's a bit different. Wavefolders and mixer are on perfboard. PSU is +/-5 since a stock JH runs on a 9v battery with a rail splitter. A lot of the case was off the cuff, the panel is mostly the same layout repeating 4 times with a few holes left off.
Ah, I didn't realize you were part of Flower Electronics. That's why the vibe / layout in the panel looked familiar - looks like four Jealous Hearts in a 2x2 config indeed.
I have a ton of spring reverb tanks, but we didn't have enough time to include one. There's a handful of tweaks that need to be made but right now it's functional and sounds amazing. It'll probably get recorded at some point.
Very interested in hearing the results. A spring verb would make very much sense in that kind of system now that I think about it...

plugugly
Common Wiggler

Post by plugugly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:46 am

Beautiful work everyone. Happy new years!

iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:47 am

2013 was pretty bad in terms of SDIY for me. This year is starting a bit better. Just finished this one, a dual J3RK flopseq. Panel by RSFC.

Opted for the buchla 123 look, thereby only black and red bananas.
Might add a banana normalization between input A and B. Plus a reset circuit would be nice to have.
That later.. Now onto the next module.

iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Sorry for double posting, managed to finish(*) this one tonight.

Wogglebug in Buchla 4U disguise. Panel from RSFC, Got the PCB from janvanvolt in 2008 or so. Talk about development time.

Module started on first power up, not really sure if I wired the pots correctly. Also not 100% sure about the knobs.

* Still need to fix the pulse output as well as the voltage levels on the outputs.

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:40 pm

iopop wrote:* Still need to fix the pulse output as well as the voltage levels on the outputs.
this is in my backlog, and i hadn't thought through those details... what's your plan, boost the clock out to get 13v pulse, and attenuate the audio levels down to 1.2?
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

sduck

Post by sduck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:50 pm

The standard things is to invert the clock out. And attenuate the cv out levels a bit, although I haven't done that and it's fine, just a little hot. Dave Brown has some of this info on his webpage -
http://www.modularsynthesis.com/bridechamber/wb/wb.htm

iopop
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by iopop » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:45 am

fluxmonkey: Something like that. At least fix the clock output. Still undecided on what kind of levels I'm going to use. I opted not to use tinyjax for the audio path - so I can somewhat cheat on the levels as well. Need to see what the other stuff needs.

sduck: Yes, Dave's site was a lifesaver. Btw. did you experience that the clock gave "nothing" the first 25% of the pot?

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:34 am

FINALLY put together the small synth I've been meaning to build for my 4yo.
It's a 4MS Autonomous Bassline Generator. I put it in an enclosure to make it a bit sturdier. Acrylic panel made by neilbaldwin (designed by me).
Fun to play with :)

Image Image
Last edited by KNYST on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:46 am

Nice work everyone! This thread is kicking my ass :P

2014 is going to be a DIYcentric year for me too, nothing to show yet but I have a PCB Nand synth prototype being fabricated, the plan is to make this a workshop kit to get some new people into DIY electronics - also working on a DIY modular that is inspired by the MFOS SDIY Experimenter, only it's bigger and is rebuilding everything to add some nice new features, working on a vactrol based filter for it and a couple of other things :) Pics soon!

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:12 am

CLEE 8 channel quantizer

First time I ever touched a dremel, brutal panel. I like to think I will redo it someday, but will remember writing this and laugh 30 years from now.

4U 4" wide panel. Great exercise in cramped layout and behind the board ergonomics. A ton of wires but still only 2.25" deep.

Now to calibrate it, and liberate my Miniwaves from Q duty.

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:14 pm

iopop wrote: sduck did you experience that the clock gave "nothing" the first 25% of the pot?
No - at the lowest setting I get one clock about every 6 seconds on both of mine.

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Reese P. Dubin wrote:CLEE 8 channel quantizer

First time I ever touched a dremel, brutal panel. I like to think I will redo it someday, but will remember writing this and laugh 30 years from now.

4U 4" wide panel. Great exercise in cramped layout and behind the board ergonomics. A ton of wires but still only 2.25" deep.

Now to calibrate it, and liberate my Miniwaves from Q duty.
:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :yay:

elliot42
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elliot42 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:55 pm

My first foray into Synth DIY, all this was made late last year but I've only just got around to posting some pics.
The case is 2 x 84hp eurorack, made with some scraps of redwood.
So far I've made a simple power supply and busboard on stripboard, MIDI2CV, FCUK Waverider VCDO, FCUK ECG VCF+VCA, and a 555 ADSR on perfboard. The ADSR is based off this schematic (PDF) and this one from Rene Schmitz. The currently plain acrylic panel on the ADSR will probably be replaced at some point when I get my CNC router set up again.
I also tried some salt water electrolysis etching on aluminium which worked OK for a first go, a bit over-etched where I used a blue PCB resist pen that wasn't coated thick enough.

killar_of_giants
1-Post Wiggler

Post by killar_of_giants » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:50 am

Gday, Im a newbie to both synths and to Muffwiggler. Ive spent my holidays building Yusynth modules. I didnt realize what Id gotten myself into. Ive got parts here to build another 7 modules but Im already searching for new modules to build. Now that ive found Muffwiggler Im sure you are all going to be a bad influence on me, my marriage and my wallet.

Girts23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Girts23 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:58 am

PCBs from hexinverter.net arrived and as result - my first modules this year!

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:06 am

I didn't come to show, I came to straight-up gloat. I'm proud of this one. :guinness:

Here's my first entry of the new year. The final piece of the puzzle finally came this week in the form of the black power entry panel to replace the uZeus in my Miss10. The power supply is one of Rick's (FCUK) boards and the busboard is from Erthenvar. They fit Ross Lamond's gorgeous case like a glove... here's how it looks naked with the power installed:

And here's how it looks fully populated; one without power and one with:

This has been a long time coming - I've been piecing it together in one form or another for more than a year. I've gotta say, now that it's done, it was absolutely worth all the trouble. Many thanks to Ross, Rick, Mike @ E.A.S. for starting the Miss10 project in the first place, and Matthias (fonik) for the PS-3100 Resonators, which really round out this voice in a perfect way. :hail:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”