Serge TKB Kit!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:00 am

I saw it mentioned before about that one kind of 3.5mm jack that will fit on here. I'm about to embark on a build and wasn't sure which way to go. I have an exclusively Eurorack system, so obviously 3.5mm jacks would be the simplest way to interface, but there's something alluring about having some naners. Does anyone have any experience building (and using) one of these with those wider shaft 3.5 jacks?

davidh
Ultra Wiggler

Post by davidh » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:49 am

it works very well with eurorack and 3.5 Jack
my build notes : http://infinitesimal.eu/synth/article79/serge-tkb-hc

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:35 pm

davidh wrote:it works very well with eurorack and 3.5 Jack
my build notes : http://infinitesimal.eu/synth/article79/serge-tkb-hc
Way cool, thanks for that.

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:19 am

Like a silly goose, I didn't realize that this is modeled after an older version of the TPK, while the pictures I've been looking at are all newer versions with reverse options. There have been a few mentions in the thread about adding that instead of the second reset input, but there have been scant details about how to actually do it. Does anyone have any insight there? Also, what does the up/down jack do? Just change the direction of the vertical columns?

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:52 pm

Surely someone has modded their TKB (or knows where to look for mod info). My searches aren't coming up with anything other than people saying the mods exist :help:

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:46 am

Assuming I can find a suitable way to cram it on the panel, anyone know if it is possible to add a stage select input to this revision of the TKB- is it as simple as wiring an input to the touch plate connectors?

zdarma
reverse the polarity

Post by zdarma » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:54 am

Many thanks for all the help and tips in this thread, with big thanks to zthee and serge. Everything seems to be working. Such a fun module. Now need to figure out a good portable solution for two panels.
medbot wrote:Also, what does the up/down jack do? Just change the direction of the vertical columns?
I'm no expert, but seems that the up/down changes the direction when the gate input is high. Feeding it the clock same input as will make the sequence run in reverse.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:58 am

Swamp do a plastic abs mixer case in 8u

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:01 pm

zdarma wrote:Many thanks for all the help and tips in this thread, with big thanks to zthee and serge. Everything seems to be working. Such a fun module. Now need to figure out a good portable solution for two panels.
medbot wrote:Also, what does the up/down jack do? Just change the direction of the vertical columns?
I'm no expert, but seems that the up/down changes the direction when the gate input is high. Feeding it the clock same input as will make the sequence run in reverse.
I just got mine up and running this afternoon and you're right. I was just confused why it was labeled up and down instead of forward and reverse.

I added a switch instead of the second reset jack that holds the sequence when the switch is up, runs forward when the switch is centered, and runs backwards when the switch is down. Those are all connected to the switch tabs on the jacks I used, so inputting anything ignores the switch. This thing is going to be a lot of fun.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:29 pm

Finally ordered all the bits for this one... I look forward to some post work soldering when they arrive!

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:58 pm

A quick game of spot the difference... I lost a bit of time headscratching on this- originally I thought I'd made a mistake but turns out I must have early revisions of the boards- there's a subtle difference...

ImageIMAG0369 by sonofprent, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0370 by sonofprent, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0377 by sonofprent, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0376 by sonofprent, on Flickr

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Oh no, I guess your other thread wasn't about working on an actual vintage TKB. Hope it's not too much trouble for you...

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:22 am

No trouble really, just a bit confused at first when thinking I was 3 IC mounts short... and then realising I hadn't cocked up it was a different PCB. Remaining parts are on the way...

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:29 am

Also there's no holes in the pot mount boards to wire through inbthe final stages on these- I guess I'll just go over the top of them.

Edit: should add that I bought the pcbs only as opposed to full kit as djangosfire was kind enough to donate a panel (among many other things!) in a parts haul he passed on. These PCBs will be spare from the proto stage I'd imagine, so it isn't that the design has changed recently.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:45 am

Ok so build complete, hooray!

Build doesnt work though, boo!

Quick test- nothing lighting up- I have some time hopefully later to look at it- I suppose Ill start by checking led orientation and then look at what Im getting out of each output- had a quick play last night and looked like the keyboard out and pressure was working (although KP only outputting 5v, is this right?). Will check the board over and so on- any other ideas?

regenbot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by regenbot » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:39 am

I had problems with bad ribbons. Might be worth checking, if it's not just leds.
tIB wrote:Ok so build complete, hooray!

Build doesnt work though, boo!

Quick test- nothing lighting up- I have some time hopefully later to look at it- I suppose Ill start by checking led orientation and then look at what Im getting out of each output- had a quick play last night and looked like the keyboard out and pressure was working (although KP only outputting 5v, is this right?). Will check the board over and so on- any other ideas?

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:23 pm

So i found one issue- I hadn't wired the LED return. I'm now getting all the lights and all LEDs lit. 11-12 volts put of every out, save the pressure, kV and KP, which all appear to be working.

Ribbons look fine and cant see any shorts, the connector might be the issue since I had a job crimping. Not sure what to check...

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:43 pm

I went back and forth on mine because some of the wiring to the touchpads and LEDs had tiny bits of solder touching the inside of the panel causing shorts. I wish I had taken some of the advice in this thread regarding drilling the holes larger, but all I could do was stuff electrical tape in the offending holes. Works perfectly now where before I was having a few issues like yours. Maybe you've got something similar?

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:04 pm

It's not shorting- I've pulled the panel off again to check that. It could well be my shoddy way of attaching the ribbons at the pcb- my crimper was cut out for the 16 pin dil headers of the rev 1 boards. Could also be an error somewhere else...

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:30 pm

So I've been playing with my TKB for a few weeks now, and I've noticed a quirk that has me really scratching my head. I'm not really looking for a fix, but if anyone can figure it out you'd be smarter than me :hihi:

So when I press pad 2, pad 1 lights up faintly. It's like when it isn't calibrated right. But the weird part is that it's only pad 2 lighting up pad 1, and it's only when a player uses their left thumb. I've tested it with three people now, and only our left thumbs cause it to happen. Not the right thumb, not two fingers put together for more surface area or whatever, and the amount of pressure used is irrelevant. Did I accidentally build a lefty TKB?

:hmm: :despair:

regenbot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by regenbot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 pm

I do have this too, but mine does it with all fingers :hihi: Just noticed it only does it when my feet are on the floor. Something to do with grounding i guess, but my case should be grounded ok.[/quote]
medbot wrote:So I've been playing with my TKB for a few weeks now, and I've noticed a quirk that has me really scratching my head. I'm not really looking for a fix, but if anyone can figure it out you'd be smarter than me :hihi:

So when I press pad 2, pad 1 lights up faintly. It's like when it isn't calibrated right. But the weird part is that it's only pad 2 lighting up pad 1, and it's only when a player uses their left thumb. I've tested it with three people now, and only our left thumbs cause it to happen. Not the right thumb, not two fingers put together for more surface area or whatever, and the amount of pressure used is irrelevant. Did I accidentally build a lefty TKB?

:hmm: :despair:

Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular

Post by Synesthesia » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Finished a TKB from the kit :)

super nice and smooth build - love it :)

a couple of issues :
- LED 11 doesn't lit up
- step 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 work as they should
--- but 8 and 9, 10 and 11, 12 and 13 work as pair ( one step voltage seems to be shared
- and 14,15,16 as one block.

Going to start the troubleshooting - but any advise would be appreciated :)

regenbot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by regenbot » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:41 pm

I'd check if the connector is crimped straight. I managed to crimp mine crooked at first and had problems due to that.
Synesthesia wrote:Finished a TKB from the kit :)

super nice and smooth build - love it :)

a couple of issues :
- LED 11 doesn't lit up
- step 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 work as they should
--- but 8 and 9, 10 and 11, 12 and 13 work as pair ( one step voltage seems to be shared
- and 14,15,16 as one block.

Going to start the troubleshooting - but any advise would be appreciated :)

Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular

Post by Synesthesia » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:50 pm

oh - that could be right! let me check.

thanks for your advise"!

bookends
Common Wiggler

Post by bookends » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:12 pm

This sold out? I was just about to buy one! :bang:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”