terminal tedium (raspberry zero, pi2, pi3 codec / pd thing)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

walkindude125
Learning to Wiggle

Post by walkindude125 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 pm

joebauer wrote:
Elberstein wrote:Thanks for your reply ! It’s hard to locate the pins of this light switch but the upper side of the switch is on the side of the module, according to the picture on Github, before I desolder it, is this incorrect ?
It looks to me like it's backwards:

Image courtesy of FileTransferProtocol
joebauer, in your picture, is that the correct orientation of the LED switch, or the backward orientation?

walkindude125
Learning to Wiggle

Issue with 2.5 VREF signal

Post by walkindude125 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Hey all!

I've had some problems with the pots registering value changes when running the ADC Test patch. I only get zeros printed out to the terminal when I turn the pots. I went checking for voltages around the DAC and ADC and I found something odd: Pin 15 of the MCP3208 (which should be the VRef, right?) is only getting 0.02 volts. I checked the LM4040 2v5, and here are the voltages I’m getting at all three pins:

Pin 3 = 0.01

pin 1 = 0.02 (this should go to pin 15 of MCP3208 and should be 2.5v based on the schematic)

Pin 2 = 0.01 (should be ground?)

I've also checked the resistors and capacitors in the path near the DAC and some give off the 0.02 reading while other give the correct 2.5. When checking the VREF leg of each pot, I only get the bad 0.02 reading.

Based on this, I think that my externals might be working, but that I’m only getting zeros printed to the terminal because of something being wrong around my LM4040. Could you give me any suggestions on where to look in order to trace the problem?

joebauer
Common Wiggler

Post by joebauer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 pm

walkindude125 wrote: joebauer, in your picture, is that the correct orientation of the LED switch, or the backward orientation?
That picture shows them in the correct orientation.

Full disclosure: that great pic was taken by File Transfer Protocol when he was building his.

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Issue with 2.5 VREF signal

Post by mxmxmx » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 am

walkindude125 wrote:
Based on this, I think that my externals might be working, but that I’m only getting zeros printed to the terminal because of something being wrong around my LM4040. Could you give me any suggestions on where to look in order to trace the problem?
yeah, this doesn't sound right. should be simple to fix though. there's a resistor labelled 200R right next to the LM4040-2.5, this should read 2.5V at the leg connected to the cathode/pin 1, and 3.3V on the other side (tapped from the ADP150 output). it's probably that resistor?

walkindude125
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Issue with 2.5 VREF signal

Post by walkindude125 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:04 pm

mxmxmx wrote:
walkindude125 wrote:
yeah, this doesn't sound right. should be simple to fix though. there's a resistor labelled 200R right next to the LM4040-2.5, this should read 2.5V at the leg connected to the cathode/pin 1, and 3.3V on the other side (tapped from the ADP150 output). it's probably that resistor?
Just measured and something is wrong: I get 3.3 V on the side close to the ADP, but the weird 0.02 volts on the side heading to the MCP3208. I'll reflow and check it out!

walkindude125
Learning to Wiggle

Post by walkindude125 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:29 am

No luck. I replaced the resistor (which, for reference, are these from Mouser 200 R resistors) and I still get the same voltage readings: 0.02 on the leg going to the regulator cathode, and 3.3 going to the ADP.

What should my next steps be? Is it time to try replacing the LM4040-2v5?[/list]

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:39 am

walkindude125 wrote:
What should my next steps be? Is it time to try replacing the LM4040-2v5
mmh, yes, that would be the next thing. maybe you put in a transistor?

seanrieger
Learning to Wiggle

1V/O in on ADC1

Post by seanrieger » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm running Automatonism 2 on my Terminal Tedium and I'm trying to figure out how to grab a 1V/O cv on ADC1 (or any of the others) and accurately track a few octaves on an oscillator in Automatonism. I am stuggling to get accurate tracking even over a few semitones, so I'm hoping someone has already done this? Is there an expression that I should be using to convert the cv inside PD? Thanks in advance.

walkindude125
Learning to Wiggle

Post by walkindude125 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:52 pm

mxmxmx wrote:
mmh, yes, that would be the next thing. maybe you put in a transistor?
This is the type of LM4040 I have on there now. Is it correct? I want to check before I replace it with another one. Thanks!

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/522-LM4040C25FTA

johncanning
Learning to Wiggle

MCP3208 Channel 2 not receiving

Post by johncanning » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:16 am

Hi Guys,

Just got my first TT up and running but I am getting nothing on channel 2 (channel 1 if counting from 0-5). The input pin is constantly registering 2.5V no matter what position the pot is in. The pot seems to be fine - registering the same voltage and resistance as the other pots. I am having trouble tracing the input to this channel to try and find the problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!!

johncanning
Learning to Wiggle

MCP3208 Channel 2 not receiving

Post by johncanning » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Solved - bad mcp6002

So found the diagrams and traced back to the mcp6002. The 24.9k registers 2.5v and the 100k registers -10v. The issue is when I change the pot it makes no difference to the voltage.
I've noticed the resistance across the 100k in the problem zone is 53 ohms (roughly) but in all other zones in 17ohms.
My guess is that the 10n capacitor is not a 10n but I am out of these to replace.

What do you folks reckon?
Last edited by johncanning on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kroaton
Common Wiggler

Post by Kroaton » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:47 pm

https://github.com/googlecreativelab/open-nsynth-super <--- this little beast runs on a Raspberry Pi

The Terminal Tedium's CV inputs would be perfect for controlling it as well as providing 4-5 octaves of 1v/OCT pitch CV.

https://experiments.withgoogle.com/ai/sound-maker/view/ - you can play with a 2 sample version in your browser

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm

Kroaton wrote:https://github.com/googlecreativelab/open-nsynth-super <--- this little beast runs on a Raspberry Pi

The Terminal Tedium's CV inputs would be perfect for controlling it as well as providing 4-5 octaves of 1v/OCT pitch CV.

https://experiments.withgoogle.com/ai/sound-maker/view/ - you can play with a 2 sample version in your browser
Especially TT with an OLED screen, to permit selection of the 4 sounds to blend. But yeah, would be great. And you can train your own model with your own sounds for it to re-synthesise... (on a linux server with a GPU running PyTorch, but that's not hard these days).

joebauer
Common Wiggler

Terminal Tedium Talk

Post by joebauer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Bill, Sean, Gerald, and I got together for another discussion about Terminal Tedium. This time we talked about new modifications, patches, and expander modules. I put a link to our first discussion down below, too.

[video][/video]

Our first discussion a few months ago:
[video][/video]

squarewavesurfer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by squarewavesurfer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Edited: I realized I ordered 10n X7R instead of 10n NP0. Oops, waiting on more parts for my second TT.

gerald
Common Wiggler

Post by gerald » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Python question. In order to operate an I2C OLED along with the TT, I pipe the output of PD into a python script. Here is a simplified version of the call

sudo /home/pi/pd -nogui -rt ./main.pd |& python /home/pi/tt-OLED.py

I wrote a new python script to allow the user to scroll through and select patches. It works - it gets pure data to open the patch, but it seems to stop responding at that point (won't execute any more lines of code). I need to pipe the output of the pure data subprocess to the stdin input of the script I'm running. I followed examples online, but it doesn't seem to be working. I am new to python - any idea what I'm missing. The lines below should be more or less equivalent to running the line above?

pd = subprocess.Popen(['/home/pi/pd-0.46-7/bin/pd', '-nogui', '-rt', files[x]], stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
TT = pd.communicate()
OLED = subprocess.Popen(['python /home/pi/pdpatch/vinylizer/tt-warp.py'], shell=True, stdin=TT)

EDIT - I figured out a work around - using os.system(big long command string). No idea why subprocess wouldn't behave.

squarewavesurfer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by squarewavesurfer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:35 pm

gerald wrote:Python question. In order to operate an I2C OLED along with the TT, I pipe the output of PD into a python script. Here is a simplified version of the call

sudo /home/pi/pd -nogui -rt ./main.pd |& python /home/pi/tt-OLED.py

I wrote a new python script to allow the user to scroll through and select patches. It works - it gets pure data to open the patch, but it seems to stop responding at that point (won't execute any more lines of code). I need to pipe the output of the pure data subprocess to the stdin input of the script I'm running. I followed examples online, but it doesn't seem to be working. I am new to python - any idea what I'm missing. The lines below should be more or less equivalent to running the line above?

pd = subprocess.Popen(['/home/pi/pd-0.46-7/bin/pd', '-nogui', '-rt', files[x]], stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
TT = pd.communicate()
OLED = subprocess.Popen(['python /home/pi/pdpatch/vinylizer/tt-warp.py'], shell=True, stdin=TT)

EDIT - I figured out a work around - using os.system(big long command string). No idea why subprocess wouldn't behave.
Do you need to tell it to close the pd patch before selecting a new patch? I think that's how tebgeronimo's patch switcher works.

microtopia2
Learning to Wiggle

Problems Installing Pd On Rapberry Pi For Terminal Tedium

Post by microtopia2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:54 am

I'm wondering if someone can give me some input on an issue i'm having with programming a Raspberry Pi for use with my Terminal Tedium build.
I've followed all of the instructions up until the
Configure
section from:
https://github.com/mxmxmx/terminal_tedi ... g-up-linux

So at this stage my Rasp Pi3 has Raspbian operating system on it and it works perfectly.

Then i follow the following commands to install Pd and the configurations for Terminal Tedium :

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mxmxm ... install.sh

sudo chmod +x install.sh

sudo bash install.sh

Once this has completed if i reboot and plug my Raspberry Pi back into a monitor, keyboard, mouse to test it... then the system seems to freeze every so often and then recover...

Is this normal behaviour? What are other builder's experiences with it?

Does anyone have an sd card img that could be downloaded and burned to sd card using Apple Pi Baker for Mac that contains (a working Raspian operating system + pd + configurations for Terminal Tedium) that works? This would enable me to test my install side by side a working install.

Any advice on how to proceed / trouble shoot this would be welcome - thanks :)

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Problems Installing Pd On Rapberry Pi For Terminal Tediu

Post by mxmxmx » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 am

microtopia2 wrote:I'm wondering if someone can give me some input on an issue i'm having with programming a Raspberry Pi for use with my Terminal Tedium build.
I've followed all of the instructions up until the
Configure
section from:
https://github.com/mxmxmx/terminal_tedi ... g-up-linux

So at this stage my Rasp Pi3 has Raspbian operating system on it and it works perfectly.

Then i follow the following commands to install Pd and the configurations for Terminal Tedium :

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mxmxm ... install.sh

sudo chmod +x install.sh

sudo bash install.sh

Once this has completed if i reboot and plug my Raspberry Pi back into a monitor, keyboard, mouse to test it... then the system seems to freeze every so often and then recover...

Is this normal behaviour? What are other builder's experiences with it?

Does anyone have an sd card img that could be downloaded and burned to sd card using Apple Pi Baker for Mac that contains (a working Raspian operating system + pd + configurations for Terminal Tedium) that works? This would enable me to test my install side by side a working install.

Any advice on how to proceed / trouble shoot this would be welcome - thanks :)
doesn't sound like normal behaviour. ( ... freezing and recovering would be a strange concept for a module, no?).

fwiw, the last time i've tried with a fresh install (2-3 months ago), the install script worked alright (that was using zero W). i've never tried with a monitor, keyboard, or mouse; i don't think that should make much of a difference, but who knows. i assume that is with the module attached?

anyways, you can try to manually set things up to see if/where/why things fail. see https://github.com/mxmxmx/terminal_tedi ... ng-version

microtopia2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by microtopia2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks for the support with this. It has helped me make some progress[/quote]. In case this is useful for others:

I downloaded Raspbian Jessie Lite from here:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/raspbian_lite-2017-07-05/
It works on Pi3.

I think my original issue was that with my first install of Raspbian - the Pi3 was starting up with the operating system running and not at the command line prompt?

This new install of Jessie Lite starts up at the command line prompt.

Next, I configured everything following the long version here:
https://github.com/mxmxmx/terminal_tedium/wiki/setting-up-linux

So to test it:

What's interesting potentially for other inexperienced users like myself is that from my experience Pure Data only seems to work from within the pd-0.47-1 bin folder and i need to provide a full address for the location of the pure data patch i wish to run using pure data.

Controlling the Pi3 headless from my laptop i did the following:

to get into the pure data bin folder
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd /home/pi/pd-0.47-1/bin
then to open puredata and the passthru patch
pi@raspberrypi:~/pd-0.47-1/bin $ sudo pd -noadc -nogui -rt -r 48000 -audiobuf 5 /home/pi/terminal_tedium/software/passthru.pd
then to check to see if puredata is running using pidof
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pidof pd
890 is the process ID of pd (Pure Data) running passthru.pd (pidof would return nothing if pd wasn't running)

To fully test it with the Terminal Tedium board i'm waiting for a tall female header to get the necessary height clearance away from the TT board for the Raspberry Pi3.

Cheers for the support MXMXMX

greyk47
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greyk47 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Are there any places to buy terminal tediums? I don't know the first thing about building pcbs etc, but really want to try out a terminal tedium. specifically wanna try it with a video out and use pd to generate some 3d graphics / visualizers. any one know if this can be done?

greyk47
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greyk47 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 am

I'm also wondering if this pcb can be used with the raspberry pi as like an adc, without having to use PD. I've discovered that PD is probably not the right tool to use and will be building some stuff in openFrameworks for raspberrypi.

Kroaton
Common Wiggler

Post by Kroaton » Mon May 07, 2018 4:16 pm

It should be possible to use it purely as an ADC though you can easily connect openFrameworks and PureData through OSC or send messages through netsend.

That way you can focus on your visual patches and use the already built audio and CV PureData object for audio and CV duties.

greyk47
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greyk47 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:37 am

Kroaton wrote:It should be possible to use it purely as an ADC though you can easily connect openFrameworks and PureData through OSC or send messages through netsend.

That way you can focus on your visual patches and use the already built audio and CV PureData object for audio and CV duties.
Interesting, I was initiallly thinking of buiding one with a video out cable just so it could all be in my system and with video out could use other modular video synth stuff. but I could just OSC it out to a machine running openFrameworks. I guess I really like the idea of it all being contained in the module.

eastwood
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eastwood » Sun May 13, 2018 10:26 am

Sorry in advance for a noob question, is there a way to output a trigger to an ADSR from the digital gates on the TT?

I'm using PD and trying to send a trigger to my Quadra.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”