terminal tedium (raspberry zero, pi2, pi3 codec / pd thing)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

uuav
Learning to Wiggle

Post by uuav » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:53 am

I'm thinking about getting a TT mostly for converting parsed Internet data to CV/GATE.
I'm pretty ok with the software side, but I'm wondering if it's possible( or how hard) to mod the TT to add like 6, or more, CV outputs ?

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:12 am

gerald wrote:I read that the pi checks if it has enough power during boot-up via I2C - maybe it uses the same address? I have powered the Pi 3b+ directly off a huge separate 5V supply (via the 5V jumper pin), and that didn't work either. I think the conflict is something besides power. Too bad - the 3A+ looks perfect for a TT too.
mxmxmx wrote: fwiw, i got hold of a pi 3 model A+ and it's not properly booting up either ... (TT w/ RECOM 785.0 1.0).

they recommend a 2.5A supply, so most likely it's just that. (no clue unfortunately what exactly causes the problem, in as much the first revision pi 3 would work just fine IIRC and supposedly the model A+ is "more power efficient")
Thanks for the info. I plan on using a Raspberry Pi 3b+ with a Terminal Tedium module and you just saved me some frustration. The power up sequence is a good workaround until someone finds a better solution.

seismic
Common Wiggler

Post by seismic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:12 am

after 3 less or more successful attempts/revisions, a lot of cutting traces and fiddling with tiny wires i got this thing running with a compute module 3 lite working inside.

it's got some more buttons and the oleds to adapt to oldmanfury's and the northcoast modular collectives patchloader and the little traverse bay.

it also has a USB port for connecting a keyboard/mouse or midi things.

for video out there is the composite video out and i also managed to get the hdmi out working, aldought without mounting the surge suppressor chip a.t.m. (only available as bga (ESD5384), there's another one with tssop package (TPD12S016) but no experience with that one yet over here)

so that makes the thing a "compute module" with everything accessible on the frontpanel.

now working on a last revision, i put the SO-DIMM2 connector on to the backside with all the other chips, cause otherwise the oleds don't fit nicely under the frontpanel.

overall module depth 17mm :)

isi909
Common Wiggler

Post by isi909 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 am

seismic wrote:after 3 less or more successful attempts/revisions, a lot of cutting traces and fiddling with tiny wires i got this thing running with a compute module 3 lite working inside.

it's got some more buttons and the oleds to adapt to oldmanfury's and the northcoast modular collectives patchloader and the little traverse bay.

for video out there is the composite video out and i also managed to get the hdmi out working, aldought without mounting the surge suppressor chip a.t.m. (only available as bga (ESD5384), there's another one with tssop package (TPD12S016) but no experience with that one yet over here)

so that makes the thing a "compute module" with everything accessible on the frontpanel.

now working on a last revision, i put the SO-DIMM2 connector on to the backside with all the other chips, cause otherwise the oleds don't fit nicely under the frontpanel.

nice thingi...... :sb: :sb:

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:01 pm

seismic wrote:after 3 less or more successful attempts/revisions, a lot of cutting traces and fiddling with tiny wires i got this thing running with a compute module 3 lite working inside.

That is awesome! Do you have any pictures of the mods?

Also thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. There is so much great information here.

seismic
Common Wiggler

Post by seismic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:51 am

That is awesome! Do you have any pictures of the mods?

there are no "mods", if you wan't so.

the displays share the same i2c bus with the codec, but on different addresses. if you wan't more than one display you need addressable ones, unfortunately not all have the two extra pullup/pulldown resistors to do so.

the composite video out of the compute module requires an additional power supply of 2.5V to work. the hdmi needs some FETs for detection purposes and the unmounted surge suppressor.

and the extra buttons just need some of the free GPIO.

i only have a pic without frontpanel, and before mounting the hdmi connector board, and also before mounting the displays and extra buttons:

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Nice! I thought is was a super modified Terminal Tedium, but clearly you have created something new.

IImyment
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IImyment » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:40 pm

:yay: is there a way to get the Pcb?
Nice upcycle of the vinyl also :love:

seismic
Common Wiggler

Post by seismic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am

IImyment wrote::yay: is there a way to get the Pcb?
so far i don't have a board that works without some little extra wires.

need to work on the next version...

but it's got some nasty parts on it now like:
the 200pin 0.6mm pitch SO-dimm connector (medium solder fun)
and the 0.5mm pitch, supertiny pins, HDMI connector (maximum solder fun)

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 pm

seismic wrote:
IImyment wrote::yay: is there a way to get the Pcb?
so far i don't have a board that works without some little extra wires.

need to work on the next version...

but it's got some nasty parts on it now like:
the 200pin 0.6mm pitch SO-dimm connector (medium solder fun)
and the 0.5mm pitch, supertiny pins, HDMI connector (maximum solder fun)
I would be interested in buying one as well if you make a run of boards.

seismic
Common Wiggler

Post by seismic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 am

i'll post back here when i'm ready to order the updated board, and have a BOM ready for it..

seismic
Common Wiggler

Post by seismic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:48 am

hey gerald

i just received my new compute moduel 3+ to check if it boots with the hardware i made for the CM3.

turned out it doesn't pass the rainbow screen.
after some reading in the raspberry pi forum that said the 3+ versions need new boot files for the the BCM2837B0 chipset.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=58151

i simply had to apt-get update/upgrade.
after that it smootly booted.

hope that'll make your 3b+ run to!
gerald wrote:I am trying to get a pi 3b+ working with the TT. Just like someone in the facebook group pointed out, It won't boot while connected to the TT. If you stagger the boot sequence - i.e. power the module, THEN power up the pi, it works.

What in the world could be causing this problem? Not booting = red power light, and no green light activity at all.

Knowix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Knowix » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Is anyone selling these pre-made? I have a decent amount of PD experience. Seems like a lot of Ornament & Crimes are going about, but none of these.

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 pm

I've got an rpi-zero w with picore, and I'm trying to get the wifi going so I can continue accordingly. Is there a simple way to get the wifi going or do I have to prep the sd card before I start picore?

consumer
Learning to Wiggle

PiCore on a Zero W

Post by consumer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:20 pm

mutronic, I came here with a similar question.
The TT github page subtly discourages trying PiCore with a Zero because of its trickiness.

PiCore doesn't come with WiFi out of the box (Raspian does)... and the typical method of setting up piCore requires that you're working on a live system. So, fundamentally we need either a different pre-built image or to run it ...(?)headed.

I've tried the first route: piCorePlayer and picore-headless-setup, but haven't been able to connect to either running headless through wireless.
I imagine that I'd get a lot further if I simply gave it a monitor, but I can't find my HDMI/MicroHDMI adapter.

That github script looks promising, and perhaps we could actually turn it into an automated way of getting TT running piCore on any RPi. That would be a benefit to all :)

Anyway, I was coming here to ask if anyone else had gotten piCore set up on a Zero with a wired connection and if so, which one ...because I've also read on the piCore forums of troubles with USB/Ethernet adapters.

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 pm

I actually got the wifi going on my rpi zero w running with picore. I had to drop the tcz files on to the sd card under the folder tce, and then set the boot settings to include the apps on startup. I then did a sudo wifi.sh and logged onto wifi no problem.

consumer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by consumer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am

mutronic wrote:I actually got the wifi going on my rpi zero w running with picore. I had to drop the tcz files on to the sd card under the folder tce, and then set the boot settings to include the apps on startup. I then did a sudo wifi.sh and logged onto wifi no problem.
So you had a wired connection to the rpi zero and had ssh'd into it in order to run sudo wifi.sh?

If so, what wired connector were you using to ssh into the rpi0?

...i.e.: I haven't even managed to ssh into it w/ PiCore, as my previous attempts have been totally headless. I'm looking for advice on getting past that first step.

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:04 pm

I didn't have a wired connection, I just precompiled the sd card with the .tcz firmware files. I do have a usb to hdmi adapter so I could plug it into my television, as well as a micro-usb to usb adapter for the keyboard so I could make sure everything went through alright.

I somewhat followed this article to get me started:
https://www.novaspirit.com/2018/01/09/t ... w-install/

the rpi won't even be seen by your computer unless you have the firmware, wifi, and ssh installed beforehand.

consumer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by consumer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks Mutronic,
I'll follow your advice.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 am

Hola,

I've had a couple of people posting to me about the idea of putting Orac 2.0 on terminal tedium, but a bit unsure where the community is based - here?

for those unaware of orac, an kind of overview video
[video][/video]
(check out my youtube channel for many other videos on it)

its running on multiple platforms, including the Organelle, rPI, and Eurorack (QuBit Nebulae, Bela Salt, so also Beaglebone black)

anyway, not sure the best way to proceed, to discuss possibilities etc.

but for sure I'd be happy to collaborate, as my goal is to make Orac 2.0 available to as many people as possible - lets talk :)

btw: apologies in advance, the Ive not gone thru all the pages in this topic, so its a bit unclear to me what the community is doing with TT, where its development is at etc.

IImyment
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IImyment » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Please do it!
I am following the development of orac and all the recent videos you released :yay:
Tbh I was a bit surprised you haven't port it yet to TT considering All the other option you're providing.
Also I think Gerald already did a "meta" patch that could load orac.
Without derailing this thread may I ask what happened to norn to push?

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:35 pm

IImyment wrote:Please do it!
I am following the development of orac and all the recent videos you released :yay:
Tbh I was a bit surprised you haven't port it yet to TT considering All the other option you're providing.
Also I think Gerald already did a "meta" patch that could load orac.
simple matter than I don't have a TT, nor probably time nor skills to build one :)
but there are a few things to discuss as well... about how to do it best, and how it might work... Ive got ideas on these, but given my lack of familiarity of the TT community - it'd be good to discuss.
(Id also like to do it without wrappers if possible, so as to get as much performance as possible)
Without derailing this thread may I ask what happened to norn to push?
it works very well... though Ive not updated my repo to Norns 2.0 yet, as been busy with Orac 2.0 - but will do that as soon as things calm down.

though, Ive not been using Norns much (or at all ;) )
a few reasons, but one is , I don't know why but i didn't really find it that inspiring, I think partly because I wanted something to allow me to play with Supercollider, but Norns does not expose the bits of sclang to lua that I find exciting about supercollider.
so I guess i kind of drifted away from it.
perhaps as it evolves it might becoming interesting again, who knows.

but also, Ive my own ideas about an interesting supercollider platform, in the vein of orac - so perhaps that might scratch the itch I have ;)

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:54 pm

thetechnobear wrote:
simple matter than I don't have a TT, nor probably time nor skills to build one :)
... i have some spares (with low-profile 2x20 sockets though, so will fit only zero / zero w / 3A+ et al). pm me if interested.

IImyment
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IImyment » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:04 am

And I have the time to build one for you :nana: if that could help (but no pcb left)
Same thing just drop me a pm.
TT and Orac are meant to be together imho.

skee
Common Wiggler

Zynthian

Post by skee » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:42 pm

Can Orac run on Zynthian platform?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”