Synth Techs in Seattle?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

moog55
Wiggling with Experience

Synth Techs in Seattle?

Post by moog55 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 am

Apologies in advance as I'm sure this thread comes up all the time. I can't seem to find anything via <search> though. Anyway, I have a few synths that need some work, but certainly don't want to drop them off at some random repair shop. There used to be a few really good options here, but I'm not aware of a "go-to" place now. Any recommendations? :help:

lintfresh
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lintfresh » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Have you tried condor electronics in Fremont? They have a good reputation for working on audio electronics, although I have no firsthand experience with them.

You could also always go to Morgan Sound up in Lynnwood. They have a E-Service dept and although they specialize mainly in PA and commercial sound equipment they are SUPER good, honest, and can fix anything. I know, I used to work there.

Last, I don't know if he works on synths, but John from Shinybox has done tech for me at my studio (including keeping my LARGE analog desk running), and he's great. PM me if you want his info.

moog55
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moog55 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 pm

lintfresh wrote:Have you tried condor electronics in Fremont? They have a good reputation for working on audio electronics, although I have no firsthand experience with them.

You could also always go to Morgan Sound up in Lynnwood. They have a E-Service dept and although they specialize mainly in PA and commercial sound equipment they are SUPER good, honest, and can fix anything. I know, I used to work there.

Last, I don't know if he works on synths, but John from Shinybox has done tech for me at my studio (including keeping my LARGE analog desk running), and he's great. PM me if you want his info.
i'm finding mixed reviews online about condor so i was hoping to find some other options, although i've never tried Condor before. maybe they'd be okay. i'll send you a PM about John. thanks for the tips.

lintfresh
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lintfresh » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 pm

:tu: :tu:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:57 pm

You might want to post over on the MMTA forum http://www.mostlymodular.com/

There are lots of local manufacturers and some of them may be up for repair work or have suggestions of who to go to.

moog55
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moog55 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:23 am

JohnLRice wrote:You might want to post over on the MMTA forum http://www.mostlymodular.com/

There are lots of local manufacturers and some of them may be up for repair work or have suggestions of who to go to.
good idea, John! i just posted there.

boydpost
Common Wiggler

Post by boydpost » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Bringing this thread back from the dead as I'm wondering if you ever found anything moog55. I have an ailing Super Jupiter that needs some love and attention and I would rather not ship it anywhere if possible.

I'm not optimistic though as I've lived here for over 20 years now and never heard of one.

I guess that the second part of this question would be where is the nearest reputable tech?

Thanks

boydpost
Common Wiggler

Re: Synth Techs in Seattle?

Post by boydpost » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 pm

Someone PM'd me about this thread which I had forgotten about, so posting my reply here in case it can help anyone else:

Yes, I did finally find a tech to work on my MKS-80...unfortunately not in Seattle though. I have a friend in Vancouver BC who owns a couple of Jupiter 8s (yes, a couple!) and he was singing the praises of a tech up there. The friend was down this way for work, so I was able to send the MKS back to BC with him. Unit needed to be recapped mainly...and had few small issues beyond that. Price was reasonable and I'm very satisfied with the results so far.
Shop is Nightlife Electronics https://nightlife-electronics.com/pages/repair
Unfortunately it looks like you might need to wait until the Covid situation clears up though...looks like they hit pause on the repair shop for a bit.

Studioalethea
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Synth Techs in Seattle?

Post by Studioalethea » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:25 pm

boydpost wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:37 pm
Someone PM'd me about this thread which I had forgotten about, so posting my reply here in case it can help anyone else:

Yes, I did finally find a tech to work on my MKS-80...unfortunately not in Seattle though. I have a friend in Vancouver BC who owns a couple of Jupiter 8s (yes, a couple!) and he was singing the praises of a tech up there. The friend was down this way for work, so I was able to send the MKS back to BC with him. Unit needed to be recapped mainly...and had few small issues beyond that. Price was reasonable and I'm very satisfied with the results so far.
Shop is Nightlife Electronics https://nightlife-electronics.com/pages/repair
Unfortunately it looks like you might need to wait until the Covid situation clears up though...looks like they hit pause on the repair shop for a bit.
What is the specific issue? I may be able to take a look at it. Otherwise Patchwerks has a repair department.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”