Harry Bissell's Fast Response Low Ripple Envelope Follower

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Thu May 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Thank you, those people who have already messaged me so far. There are still some left of this run and I shall do another one if demand dictates.

I am going to build one up. I thought I had everything in stock, but I just looked and my 40106 is a 40109. >DOH<
Ⓞⓝⓔ ⓓⓐⓨ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓦⓐⓚⓔ ⓤⓟ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓕⓘⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤⓡⓢⓔⓛⓕ ⓓⓔⓐⓓ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓢⓣⓐⓨ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓐⓣ ⓕⓞⓡ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓡⓔⓢⓣ ⓞⓕ ⓨⓞⓤⓡ ⓛⓘⓕⓔ

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Thu May 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Message I sent earlier today is still in my forum outbox, and I had some issues submitting it in the first place due to "Invalid Session" errors, can you confirm that mine is one of those you've received?

Thanks....

mcop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcop » Thu May 04, 2017 6:36 pm

My message seems to still be in my Outbox too.

Edit - message seems to have been sent now.
Last edited by mcop on Sat May 06, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diablojoy » Fri May 05, 2017 4:17 am

Pm sent :tu:

edit 6/5/17
hmm yep still in my out box here too.
Last edited by diablojoy on Sat May 06, 2017 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.

dubtoms
Common Wiggler

Post by dubtoms » Fri May 05, 2017 9:57 am

Am I correct to assume that pots should be linear ?

I'd be happy to order one at least as soon as boards are tested and someone has made a panel, in order to minimize international shipping fees.

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Sun May 07, 2017 12:00 am

It's been a busy week, just getting around to respond to everyone.

To recap, so far I have the following requests for boards, which are reserved for you:

keninverse - 1 or 2 pcbs
frozenkore - 1 pcb
mcop - 1 or 2 pcbs
elmegil - 2 pcbs
diablojoy - 1 pcb
teebeehex - 2 pcbs
Ayab - 1 pcb
Larrea - 1 pcb

So assuming the above take 12 in total, I shall still have 4 boards available.

In addition, the following expressed an interest:
PWM
Dubtoms
Ⓞⓝⓔ ⓓⓐⓨ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓦⓐⓚⓔ ⓤⓟ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓕⓘⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤⓡⓢⓔⓛⓕ ⓓⓔⓐⓓ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓢⓣⓐⓨ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓐⓣ ⓕⓞⓡ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓡⓔⓢⓣ ⓞⓕ ⓨⓞⓤⓡ ⓛⓘⓕⓔ

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Sun May 07, 2017 12:12 am

dubtoms wrote:Am I correct to assume that pots should be linear ?
The threshold pot is a voltage divider, so linear is fine.

The frequency pot replaces what was originally a static 10k resistor. On my board I have allowed a 10k pot with a resistor either side, which I marked nominally as 1k. Thinking about it, a better choice would be a 5k fixed resistor on the anticlockwise side and a wire link on the clockwise. This would then correspond with the mid-point of the pot being about 10k.

The frequency pot could be replaced with the original 10k or a preset pot, left alone once it has been adjusted to find the sweetest spot, or taken onto the front panel for those who might wish to be more experimental.

If the frequency pot needs to be made more log-like, a resistor can be strapped across two of the pot's pins (usually 20% of the value of the pot is about right).

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Sun May 07, 2017 7:48 am

I have spent the morning creating a new schematic that matches my board. The components that are repeated for the three channels are designated 101, 201, 301 etc for the various items.

I have also put together a BOM for those that want to start collecting components.

These pictures will probably be too small and blurry to read, but I have uploaded crisp PDFs in a zip file at Bissel follower files

Last edited by whoop_john on Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PWM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by PWM » Mon May 08, 2017 5:23 am

Hi John, do you have a PCB left? I'd love to build this!

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 am

PWM wrote:Hi John, do you have a PCB left? I'd love to build this!
Yes there are still a few left. I will add you to the list, which is now:

keninverse - 1 or 2 pcbs
frozenkore - 1 pcb
mcop - 1 or 2 pcbs
elmegil - 2 pcbs
diablojoy - 1 pcb
teebeehex - 2 pcbs
Ayab - 1 pcb
Larrea - 1 pcb
cygmu - 1 pcb
PWM - 1 pcb

Which leaves 2 yet remaining.

mcop, elmegil and Larrea, thank you for your payment and being early adopters, your boards are in the post today for you.

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Mon May 08, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks for adding me to the list! Will you let me know the paypal details by PM?

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Mon May 08, 2017 9:23 am

cygmu wrote:Thanks for adding me to the list! Will you let me know the paypal details by PM?
I most certainly shall.

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am

whoop_john wrote:mcop, elmegil and Larrea, thank you for your payment and being early adopters, your boards are in the post today for you.

Thank YOU 8-)

Larrea
Common Wiggler
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula

Post by Larrea » Mon May 08, 2017 10:57 am

whoop_john wrote:
mcop, elmegil and Larrea, thank you for your payment and being early adopters, your boards are in the post today for you.
:yay:

Thanks!

PWM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by PWM » Mon May 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks for listing me, John!

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Tue May 09, 2017 7:12 am

keninverse - 1 or 2 pcbs - reserved
frozenkore - 1 pcb - paid and PCB sent
mcop - 1 or 2 pcbs - paid and PCBs sent
elmegil - 2 pcbs - paid and PCBs sent
diablojoy - 1 pcb - reserved
teebeehex - 2 pcbs - paid and PCBs sent
Ayab - 1 pcb - reserved
Larrea - 1 pcb - paid and sent
cygmu - 1 pcb - paid and sent
PWM - 1 pcb - reserved
pirx - 1 pcb - reserved
niicholas - 1 pcb reserved

STOJ - 2 pcbs - I am so sorry, all spoken for. First on the list for the next batch.

That’s it for now. If any more people want PCBs, then do speak up, I would be happy to do another run if I get interest of at least 10 PCBs. That would leave me with 10 extras spares, which I would be happy to keep until people want them.

I know a few of you wish to wait until people report back before purchasing a board. You are on the reserved list above.

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Fri May 12, 2017 3:34 am

My board arrived yesterday, beautifully packed, complete with paper documentation. Many thanks, John!

There are a few items on the BOM which are noted as being incorrectly marked on the board silkscreen. I am sure I can figure out which ones they are on the PCB, but if someone else does it first I'd be very happy to be told!

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Fri May 12, 2017 5:03 am

cygmu wrote:My board arrived yesterday, beautifully packed, complete with paper documentation. Many thanks, John!

There are a few items on the BOM which are noted as being incorrectly marked on the board silkscreen. I am sure I can figure out which ones they are on the PCB, but if someone else does it first I'd be very happy to be told!
The items to which you refer are the two resistors I provided either side of the Frequency pot ends. They are marked 1k and are at the top right of the board, under the pot itself. It will work just fine with the two 1k resistors and the wiper of the pot around its central point somewhere. I added the pot for versatility and possible special effects. You could also simply wire link instead of the 1k resistors and use just the pot.

For smoothest envelope, a scope should be used on the envelope output and the pot adjusted for minimum ripple from the three stages. The 470n cap will affect the ripple, but at a guess using a larger cap to reduce the ripple will also lower the response rate to rapid changes. A switch might be used to select different caps, depending on the sound source.

The original Bissel design had no frequency control at all, so the pot could be substituted for a 10k preset pot or the two pins adjacent to pins 1 and 2 of the 4016 bridged with a 10k resistor, in which case the circuit would match Bissel.

Sorry if any of this confused you.

mcop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcop » Sat May 13, 2017 6:33 am

A bit rough and ready but here's my first build completed this morning. Have only managed a quick test but it appears to work fine. Does need a pre-amp for low level signals.

And yes I know I used a 25k pot for the clock frequency! It was what I had to hand.

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Sat May 13, 2017 6:43 am

I'd really like to get a pcb if you do another run whoop john. I thought I had asked to be put down for one in the PM's we exchanged ?

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Sat May 13, 2017 4:27 pm

woodster wrote:I'd really like to get a pcb if you do another run whoop john. I thought I had asked to be put down for one in the PM's we exchanged ?
You did say in passing on Mon Jan 16 that you were interested. You have not written since I received the boards and I asked people to message me if they wanted one. I can probably find you a PCB, however.

There are a number of people on the list who still have not contacted me since I advised them that the boards are available. Eventually these will be timed out and I will offer them to others, having contacted the original people, of course.

I think it certain I shall do another run, when the orders reach 10 I will do so.

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Sat May 13, 2017 4:31 pm

mcop wrote:A bit rough and ready but here's my first build completed this morning. Have only managed a quick test but it appears to work fine. Does need a pre-amp for low level signals.
Looks lovely to me.

Thank you so much, MCOP, for your amazingly rapid build and testing. And for generously sending me some 40106s. Life has been keeping me occupied and I have been unable to finish my board yet.

I did wonder about input levels - there isn't much real estate left to add a booster stage on this board.

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Sat May 13, 2017 4:43 pm

whoop_john wrote: I did wonder about input levels - there isn't much real estate left to add a booster stage on this board.
I'd say a gain stage is mandatory in combination with the envelope follower. In most cases the signals to trace will come from line level instruments, microphones or guitar pickups - all of them require some amplification to work well in a modular setup...

my dual module features one channel with a max gain of 20 (line signals) and one that's electronically balanced with a max gain of 1000 for mic inputs.

mcop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcop » Sat May 13, 2017 4:47 pm

I already have preamps I can use so it's not an issue. Only mentioned it incase someone tried plugging a low level signal in and wondered why not much happened! Did try it with a Microphonie which worked fine with my piezo fitted Mbira but the gain was a bit much when I plugged in my 707.

The envelope follower itself worked great. I've had loads of fun playing my synth with the Mbira this afternoon :hihi:

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Got my PCBs in Chicago today, thanks again John! Very nicely packaged.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”